Leeds v QPR - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v QPR - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by weasel »

No doubt now that we have had a defeat people will start to have a go at BMc's team selection. Personally the only change I'd have made would have been to have had Mowatt on the bench. The starting line up has been fairly consistent for league games and it is a hard working side that isn't going to steamroller teams or get steamrollered. The only time we have looked bad was the first 20 v Ipswich and B Mc was able to change that without change in personnel.

The Championship will be tight and a team that is hard to beat will always have a chance. That is what we've got and with the likes of Poleon and Smith we have 2 strikers who can nick us a game with 20 minute impacts against tiring defenders (that have had 70 minutes of physical barging with Varney and Hunt). I disagree with anyone syaing to start them as their impact would be lessened and Varney and Hunt are not suitable for roles off the bench as game changers.

Mowatt will have his part to play but the lesson of Byram is very much evident. I have faith in B Mc to develop him properly and use him sparingly but correctly.

This team if it triumphs will be more through yorkshire grit than flair. More Vinnie Jones than John Sheridan.

Defence looked decent today against multi-million pund players. Midfield struggled but worked hard and the attack was fairly innocuos (although did look threatening for the first 5 minutes after Poleon and Smith came on). Only 2 disappointments for me was that Rudi's shot didn't go in and that Kenny didn't do better for the QPR goal. Some may think I am harsh on Kenny but he's got to react better there than just to push the ball back into the middle of the 6 yard box.

Ref was awful too. There was a 30 minute spell where we only got 1 free kick (and that took two bad fouls to even get that - with the ref allowing play to go on after the first before then deeming it worthy of a booking only after the 2nd foul). Every tussle went QPR's way.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

I only saw the last 25 minutes or so due to a hospital appointment.

Like many, I was largely content with the team selection, although I would have preferred Tonge to Green. Mowatt's day will come, no need to rush him right now.

Very disappointed with Kenny for the goal, he really should have done better - but what a strike by Austin with almost the last kick of the game. Real goal of the season contender if it had just dipped a little more.

Disappointed but not downhearted with the result, let's go on a run now.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

You are correct weasel in that every tussle was QPR`s ,but also was nearly every breaking ball.
And our delivery pass was shockingly poor and set pieces dreadfull to the extent Rangers were to at ease .
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

I'm shocked by how poor our passing was today. Over hit, under hit, but very rarely to our own players. Nobody more guilty than our captain - tho Murphy and Warnock were also woeful in that respect. in fact, Warnock was woeful in every respect today.

Hunt and Varney up front just doesn't work, does it? They seem to cancel each other out, rather than creating for each other.
The less said about flapper Kenny, the better. Dreadful elementary mistake, just when I thought he was an improved player this season.

On the plus side, Wootton and Pearce were excellent and young Tom is going to have to work hard to get his CD place back.
Ross was a little dynamo today and worrying the opposition players whenever he had the ball. However, like Green, he was all work and no end product.
Was glad to see Peltier staying back more today and he was defensively very good.

Jury still out on Smith - outjumped by players half his size and his positioning was dreadful after he came on.
Dominic terrorised the hoops' defence, but I just wish he'd look up and see who is available - tho his two strikes on goal made up half of our strikes today.
I just wish that Diouf had been put on earlier. His skillful impact on the game was immediate. Our team play moved up two gears and I really thought we were going to snatch a late point - and we nearly did, with that screamer from Rodi. :shock:

We never deserved the win - but we didn't deserve to lose either. I'm bemused at the defeat, rather than gutted. Tho I hate losing at home.

14 days now til the next game. Passing practice and crossing practice should be the order of every one of those days, up at TA.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I didn't see the game but got an impression that we weren't that good or bad.
Excellent points from Weasel and Twiggs.
In fact I'm more worried about the possibility of them agreeing than I am about a narrow defeat. :lol:

Our real season starts here!
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ash »

What do people expect? QPR have a big squad of quality players and have been backed in the transfer market by their owners. Leeds United have a squad of a couple of newbies, those brought in by Warnock and Grayson, a couple of youngsters. A draw today would have been a great result for Leeds and a slim defeat holds no shame. Mid table at best. Onwards and upwards
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

A prem team v a mish-mash team that McDermott has moulded into a hard-working outfit which lacks the cutting-edge that BM will surely address in time so i'm not too disappointed with a tight 0-1 defeat. We were the better team in the first-half....I was hoping we'd come out all guns firing in the second period, unfortunately it never happened as we lost our way & the hoops improved as the game went on. Even so we almost nicked a point at the death with the Austin shot that rattled the woodwork, had the ball dipped an inch we'd have been raving about a super goal & all thoroughly content with the draw. Time to move on & shape ourselves for the trip to Bolton

Kenny 5 - should have done better with the goal
Peltier 8 - another solid game from the scapegoat of ER & my MOTM
Wootton 8 - another fine, assured performance from young Scott, fully justified his place in the team
Pearce 7 - probably the most improved player under McDermott
Warnock 4 - left on his a backside a couple of times & given the run-around by SWP
Green 6 - workmanlike as ever
Austin 6 - has his moments but cannot pass the ball for toffee most of the time
Murphy 6 - some lovely passes in the first-half, drifted out of the game
McCormack 6 - ran around a bit to the adulation of the crowd but created very little
Hunt 3 - headless chicken
Varney 5 - tries his heart out but not alot to shout about

Subs : Smith 5 - Poleon 5 - Diouf 7 - El Hadji certainly made an instant impact, unfortunately not on long enough to assist/provide us with the equaliser

As with last season we lack fire-power upfront...5 goals in five games, nowhere near enough if we are to progress. I have total faith in BM resolving the problem given time
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Agree with Twiggs about the poor passing. Love him or loathe him, but I noticed that Barton tended to find one of his own team more often than not. There was a lack of class/quality from us and I think at one point it was mentioned in commentary that a draw would be a great result or us? A look at the two benches told its own tale!
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Gino 1959 wrote:Agree with Twiggs about the poor passing. Love him or loathe him, but I noticed that Barton tended to find one of his own team more often than not. There was a lack of class/quality from us and I think at one point it was mentioned in commentary that a draw would be a great result or us? A look at the two benches told its own tale!
Post game, Ross said he hopes we can get in one CLASS player this week, "rather than a couple of decent ones - we need quality and not quantity".....
I have to agree.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Let's not kid ourselves, but we came up against a very good opponent in QPR , Our passing was poor at times but it was only because of QPR pressure on us , the second half we started hoofing the ball up field .
I would of been happy with a draw .
I think we try hard but can see a bit of Quality lacking in certain areas , no pace on our wings , apart from Ross upfront need a good finisher (varney and Hunt ) don't cut it for me , Poleon will improve with more game time .
Our midfielders seem to be all over the shop , how many times did we have to pass it back to Kenny where as QPR used there width.
Overall not hugely disappointed as QPR will be up there , the effort is there and our defence has improved 10 folds :tup: .
Long way to go , feeling optimistic we may be able to challenge for a play off spot.
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

Gino 1959 wrote:Agree with Twiggs about the poor passing. Love him or loathe him, but I noticed that Barton tended to find one of his own team more often than not. There was a lack of class/quality from us and I think at one point it was mentioned in commentary that a draw would be a great result or us? A look at the two benches told its own tale!

Would swap barton for Austin easy
ldj90
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @LiamJarman1

Post by ldj90 »

Have to agree with most people. Disappointing result but against a qpr side that put in a resolute away performance I'm not downhearted. The one thing that was really disappointing for me was warnock's delivery from set pieces. I just don't understand why he has taken this on. Diouf, love him or hate him, is one player that has a touch of quality that we so badly need. He may not be quick but he has the trickery to make a yard for himself and the quality to deliver well. We have too many similar players at the moment. For me green is surplus to requirements.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

A telling comment from Redknapp post-game "for an away side we did not come under any (real) pressure".
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

I think we should play diouf in mccormacks position and push him upfront alongside smith. Varney and hunt should drop to the bench. Tonge for green.
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Yes Joe i agree with you and i,d probably give Poleon the nod for 2- 3 games .
Diouff in as well, or alternatively pull hunt slightly back in pitch to do the running.
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

Disappointing not to take anything from a home game. Rangers are clearly a solid team and obviously a more precise and incisive game is needed than apparently the case from LUFC this weekend. Having only seen the final half hour on TV replay I'm not in a position to analyze with any authority.
I did note some sloppy play, Warnock being one who was quite untidy at times. Are we getting enough out of Murphy? Is he getting into the positions that will cause more damage to the opposition?
I was not surprised to see Wootton retained given his debut. Did he back up with another strong showing? Should Mowatt have retained a spot on the bench?
It will be very interesting to see what lineup emerges as our preferred starting Xl over the next 4 or 5 matches as these games will be crucial in helping us to position in or close to the playoff spots.
The arrival (or not) of another player prior to the deadline will obviously be a factor, as will the potential return of Sam.
Good to see EHD having some influence - with a couple more weeks of fitness work he may be ready for increasing involvement after the break.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Well CS69 i reckon we can get more out of Murph he,s got that presence about the pitch but he needs other players to come into play he wants a lot more width to use for one.
Wootton was again very solid and looks a great signing .
As for DIouff and in the starting team the jury for me is still out but perhaps he is murphy,s foil to build up that very lacking final delivery we should see and hopefully find out soon enough for me Diouff needs to up the tempo and he probably does need to start games
But BMC D will be the one in who his eleven starters are gong to be.
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

Thanks PP - fair points re Murphy.
Does the window close on Mon evening?
Could Bryram be an option wide right of midfield?
I amcertainly keen to see a bit more of Mowatt.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

joelufc20 wrote:I think we should play diouf in mccormacks position and push him upfront alongside smith. Varney and hunt should drop to the bench. Tonge for green.
Novel.

Most managers would prefer to start with 11 players.

And just to be clear, are you playing Diouf in McCormack's position or pushing him up front alongside Smith?
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.