Birmingham v Leeds : Team/Reports/Ratings...

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Birmingham v Leeds : Team/Reports/Ratings...

Post by The Subhuman »

the best performance I've seen in a long time...with a group of players who are only going to improve...Happy with the point
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

Strange how we all see different things, I see Antenucci to be a waste of space. I would also rather have Pearce and Cooper in the centre to be quite honest, as I think that would be the better pairing.

I can see things starting to work and come together. I am happy with a draw away from home this early in the season.
Last edited by Kyle_5351 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan_LUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @ryan_merri

Post by Ryan_LUFC »

Austin was used well. Came off the bench like a bull but he's too clumsy to play a full game. Unfortunately billy sharp doesn't seem to fit this style of play and we looked miles better with doukara coming on. But think sharp would've been effective late on when there were a few goal mouth scrambles. Sloth looked very good going forward, wasn't sure why he was subbed. I'm not convinced by belusci, I'd prefer cooper
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Silvestri - did nothing wrong
Berardi - impressive
Bellusci - an Italian Tom Lees. Not a patch on Liam Cooper
Pearce - solid
Warnock - OK
Cook - a real talent
Bianchi - looks good
Mowatt - continued last season's good start
Sloth - anonymous
Antennucci - someone needs to explain the offside law to him. Can he not look along the line?
Sharp - no service. Must wonder why he's here
Austin - energetic, and this time with some purpose
Doukara - surely has to be first choice striker
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Ryan_LUFC wrote:Austin was used well. Came off the bench like a bull but he's too clumsy to play a full game. Unfortunately billy sharp doesn't seem to fit this style of play and we looked miles better with doukara coming on. But think sharp would've been effective late on when there were a few goal mouth scrambles. Sloth looked very good going forward, wasn't sure why he was subbed. I'm not convinced by belusci, I'd prefer cooper
I agree with most of this and would have loved to have seen Adryan. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'll stick up some ratings while it's still fresh

Silvestri - 9...could do nothing about the goal which was well worked, couple of cracking saves and delivery from foot and hand sublime...

Beradi - 7 - Tidy, contributed to a decent defensive performance
Pearce - 8 - Laid his body on the line and defended impeccably
Belluschi - 7 - Loses a point for losing his man for the goal, but his distribution looks quality and is very comfortable on the ball
Warnock - 6 - Tidy but a little one footed for me, it's an area we can upgrade ...

Cook - 10 = MOTM - Without a doubt, quick of thought and deed, very good football IQ, A huge plus point going forward
Bianchi - 6 - Quieter than usual, can't remember much of what he done but that's not always a bad thing
Mowatt - 8 - The goal boosts him a little here, heading for a 6/7 until then...hard worker who's not got the ball skills of some of the other mids yet..but was in the right place at the right time
Sloth - 7 - looked one of our best players in the poorer first half, certainly looks to be able to pick a pass, little quieter in the second and correctly substituted for a little more steel

Antenucci - 7 - Good movement, nice first touch, caused a few problems and looks to have enough about him to be a good acqusition going forward..outplayed Sharp today
Sharp - 6 - Not his day looks too similar to Antenucci to work..they occupy the same space, these ratings could easily be reversed on another day..One of them probably needs to come of the bench..

Subs

Doukara - 9 - This guy needs to start and needs to start up front and wide, switching sides as and when..strength, great first touch, vision and can orchestrate the play...

Austin - 8 - ..best half hour in a Leeds shirt I've seen from this guy..looked better as an attacking mid than a defensive mid...not a starter but would be a good weapon and game changer off the bench

Redfearn - 9 - not a fan, but he seems to have a little more tactical nous than Hockaday while still implementing the style..has earned a few more games I would have thought

Cellino - Has done a very good job in a short space of time, hasn't made a panic signing at manager, maybe tried to be a little too clever with the Hockaday signing which backfired but has us playing via that source some attractive football the end product of which will take time...He clearly knows football generally, he's just not 100% familiar with the English game yet..
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

by the way this Birmingham side (like ourselves) are not bottom of the table fodder, Gray is going to cause a lot of teams a lot of problems
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

faaip wrote:I'll stick up some ratings while it's still fresh

Silvestri - 9...could do nothing about the goal which was well worked, couple of cracking saves and delivery from foot and hand sublime...

Beradi - 7 - Tidy, contributed to a decent defensive performance
Pearce - 8 - Laid his body on the line and defended impeccably
Belluschi - 7 - Loses a point for losing his man for the goal, but his distribution looks quality and is very comfortable on the ball
Warnock - 6 - Tidy but a little one footed for me, it's an area we can upgrade ...

Cook - 10 = MOTM - Without a doubt, quick of thought and deed, very good football IQ, A huge plus point going forward
Bianchi - 6 - Quieter than usual, can't remember much of what he done but that's not always a bad thing
Mowatt - 8 - The goal boosts him a little here, heading for a 6/7 until then...hard worker who's not got the ball skills of some of the other mids yet..but was in the right place at the right time
Sloth - 7 - looked one of our best players in the poorer first half, certainly looks to be able to pick a pass, little quieter in the second and correctly substituted for a little more steel

Antenucci - 7 - Good movement, nice first touch, caused a few problems and looks to have enough about him to be a good acqusition going forward..outplayed Sharp today
Sharp - 6 - Not his day looks too similar to Antenucci to work..they occupy the same space, these ratings could easily be reversed on another day..One of them probably needs to come of the bench..

Subs

Doukara - 9 - This guy needs to start and needs to start up front and wide, switching sides as and when..strength, great first touch, vision and can orchestrate the play...

Austin - 8 - ..best half hour in a Leeds shirt I've seen from this guy..looked better as an attacking mid than a defensive mid...not a starter but would be a good weapon and game changer off the bench

Redfearn - 9 - not a fan, but he seems to have a little more tactical nous than Hockaday while still implementing the style..has earned a few more games I would have thought

Pretty much what I was going to say. Mowatt was a little wild in first half and heading for a mediocre rating but the goal lifted his confidence and his rating. (get rid of the alice band) lol
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Kyle_5351 wrote:Strange how we all see different things, I see Antenucci to be a waste of space. I would also rather have Pearce and Cooper in the centre to be quite honest, as I think that would be the better pairing.

I can see things starting to work and come together. I am happy with a draw away from home this early in the season.
Agree. Antenucci played far too many wasted attempts at passes in the first half. Improved slightly in the second half, but the whole team got a lift when Doukara and Austin came on; we switched from wanting to pass the ball about to taking on players. If the first half was our attempt at possession football and the second was us not worrying about percentages and wanting to win the game... I know where my preference is. Sharp didn't get in the game, Antenucci wasted it when he did. Think we should have taken Antenucci off, not Sharp. Fair play to Redfearn though for noticing that the team was gathering momentum and not to sub Adryan on.

Also agree with Bellusci. Looks like a yellow/red card waiting to happen. Wants to live up to his warrior moniker! Warnock, Pearce and Berardi look like they could be in a constant back four...maybe use this opportunity to get Byram up the field because...sound like a broken record... we need width.

I know some players take a while to settle in (whilst Silvestri and Doukara have hit the ground running) but its going to take a lot of convincing to make me think Bianchi and Sloth are better than Cook, Mowatt and Dawson.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
ldj90
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @LiamJarman1

Post by ldj90 »

theleedsmango wrote:
Agree. Antenucci played far too many wasted attempts at passes in the first half. Improved slightly in the second half, but the whole team got a lift when Doukara and Austin came on; we switched from wanting to pass the ball about to taking on players. If the first half was our attempt at possession football and the second was us not worrying about percentages and wanting to win the game... I know where my preference is. Sharp didn't get in the game, Antenucci wasted it when he did. Think we should have taken Antenucci off, not Sharp. Fair play to Redfearn though for noticing that the team was gathering momentum and not to sub Adryan on.

Also agree with Bellusci. Looks like a yellow/red card waiting to happen. Wants to live up to his warrior moniker! Warnock, Pearce and Berardi look like they could be in a constant back four...maybe use this opportunity to get Byram up the field because...sound like a broken record... we need width.

I know some players take a while to settle in (whilst Silvestri and Doukara have hit the ground running) but its going to take a lot of convincing to make me think Bianchi and Sloth are better than Cook, Mowatt and Dawson.
Have to agree with this!

Much prefer football played with pace, power and width than possession. Cook great as a linchpin in midfield. Not impressed with Bellusci so far. Up until today i thought Bianchi had shown good touches but disappointing today. Sloth was ok i think he has more to give. Berardi impressed today for me and would love to see byram pushed up. I thought antennuci worked tirelessly but no quality and lack of positioning was shocking as he was offside everytime the ball went forward!

Not a fan of this diamond formation at all. Could only see it working if fullbacks pushed on more than they did today
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

What's with all the moderate and even positive posts?

You're weirding me out.
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

1964white wrote:
It would appear Austin's days as LUFC player is seriously numbered if Purver is as good as they say he is :-D
It would appear not.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

drsdadsotherson wrote:What's with all the moderate and even positive posts?

You're weirding me out.
Because we saw today, the makings of a pretty decent team? Once we started to gel after the break, I began to think we could get back and even win it - and we nearly did!
Full credit to Redders, bringing on the two powerhouses :tup: Austin took the game to brum and Doukaka was terrorising them up top.
I said in VLR today, that Doukara will turn out to be the best buy of the window. He reminds me a lot of Yeboah - not cause of his skin - but cos of his battling presense. He moves very well for a big lad.
The makings are there and once these lads start to gel, we can make a push for top 10 this season, I'm sure :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote:
Because we saw today, the makings of a pretty decent team? Once we started to gel after the break, I began to think we could get back and even win it - and we nearly did!
Full credit to Redders, bringing on the two powerhouses :tup: Austin took the game to brum and Doukaka was terrorising them up top.
I said in VLR today, that Doukara will turn out to be the best buy of the window. He reminds me a lot of Yeboah - not cause of his skin - but cos of his battling presense. He moves very well for a big lad.
The makings are there and once these lads start to gel, we can make a push for top 10 this season, I'm sure :tup:
And now you're gonna believe me :sing:

Cellino can spot a good player :-D
NEILDLUFC
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @NEILDONOHOE

Post by NEILDLUFC »

Silvestri-7- Steady Eddie, with a match winning save in his locker.

Berardi -7- Very decent. Looked solid.
Bellusci - 5 - Very ropey, bullied by a poor front man.
Pearce - 7 - Just a good centre half at this level.
Warnock - 7 - Just a good left back at this level.

Cook - 7 - Very tidy again.
Mowatt - 8 - Tireless and showed real quality.
Bianchi - 6 - Not his best, but never shies from the ball, needs to use it better.
Sloth - 7 - Good energy, tidy player, gonna be good.

Antenucci - 6 - Game was almost lost by the time he got going. Like him though. Worked hard.
Sharp - 6 - Poor service, but poor attitude. Shouldn't get a free pass, an Italian wouldn't on here with that sort of petulance.

Austin - 7- Ace. What I thought we'd signed 3 years ago.
Doukara - 7 - Handful, intelligent player, needs to start.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

A first half where we looked untroubled by the Brum attack until Bellusci went missing allowing Thomas oceans of space to pick his spot with a fine finish. We overpassed & gave the ball away far too much & there seemed little purpose about our game in the first period. Brum began strongly in the first five minutes of the second half, then all of a sudden our lads in that horrible murky kit started to play with some crisp passing & a series of fine cohesive moves as we put the Brum defence under much more pressure. The introduction of Doukara & dare i say it Austin made us even stronger as the Yeboah style strapping striker held the ball up well & showed glimpses of his repertiore of skills with more to come i suspect 8-) and the normally bungling Austin driving us forward everytime he received the ball, he should have left the free-kick to Mowatt who has sweet left foot but apart from that Rudi actually made a telling contribution today

Silvestri - made a couple of crucial saves, commands his box well, needs to be quicker with his distribution 8
Berardi - defensively very good, looks a better right back than young Sam 8
Bellusci - went missing for the goal & nearly gave a crazy own goal to Brum but i didn't think he was bad as some have suggested 6
Pearce - the usual JP style of defending, some good blocks 7
Warnock - one of our most consistent players this term, another solid performance 7
Bianchi - poor first half, not as neat on the ball, grew as game progressed - 6
Cook - such composure for a player so young.....dare i make a prediction ????? 9
Mowatt - so pleased for young Alex, i knew he had it in him :clap2: he took the game by the scruff of the neck as he & Lewis commanded the midfield particularly in the second half 9 - MOTM
Sloth - neat & tidy without being spectacular on the ball 7
Sharp - never got into the game, lost the ball far too much 4
Antenucci - 6 neat & deft control of the ball....can someone tell him the definition of the word OFFSIDE 6

Subs :

Austin - made some telling runs, gave the team a lift with his energy 7
Doukara - a beast of a man with good control & a bit of pace 7

To the ones who have been negative, this season is completely different from anything last season or the seasons past, all the mistakes that we make this season will be new, all the positives will be a breathe of fresh air. The personnel who were a strain on our finances and were lumbering in the squad are gone, just a little patience and we'll be good I feel

M1 was a nightmare today :x
Last edited by 1964white on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

I think you are being harsh on Sharp there Leon.

He is a deadly penalty box finisher, but for the time he was on, particularly the first half, there was no effort or ambition to get the ball into the penalty box.

Clearly at half time Redders explained what the game is about and the second half was far better, but then Sharp was sacrificed for Doukara.

Personally I would have kept Sharp, who never had the opportunity to show what he does well, on and taken Antenucci, who demonstrated he doesn't have a clue about running the line, off.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Guildford White wrote:I think you are being harsh on Sharp there Leon.

He is a deadly penalty box finisher, but for the time he was on, particularly the first half, there was no effort or ambition to get the ball into the penalty box.

Clearly at half time Redders explained what the game is about and the second half was far better, but then Sharp was sacrificed for Doukara.

Personally I would have kept Sharp, who never had the opportunity to show what he does well, on and taken Antenucci, who demonstrated he doesn't have a clue about running the line, off.
Maybe a tad harsh but all i witnessed from our front two was players not holding onto the ball in the first half with Antenucci getting caught offside far too often. One of them had to go, i personally felt Redders made the correct decision withdrawing Sharp as the Italian seem to have more about his game than Billy did today !
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Guildford White wrote: Personally I would have kept Sharp, who never had the opportunity to show what he does well, on and taken Antenucci, who demonstrated he doesn't have a clue about running the line, off.
Disagree - until Austin came on, Aunty Nooki was the only player getting the ball in midfield and trying to go forrad.
Redders will hopefully see that him and Sharp cancel each other out up top. Same space and same route.
At least Mirco looked like he wanted to play. Sharp was a blunt passenger today, IMO.
Sharp needs feeding - Mirco tries to prepare the meal himself.
Him and Doukara starting at Bournemouth pls. Sharp as supersub...
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

1964white wrote:
Maybe a tad harsh but all i witnessed from our front two was players not holding onto the ball in the first half with Antenucci getting caught offside far too often. One of them had to go, i personally felt Redders made the correct decision withdrawing Sharp as the Italian seem to have more about his game than Billy did today !
Well, we are all entitled to our opinion.

I feel that their roles are different - Sharp is the one who gets on the end of scraps in the box, Antenucci is the one who leads the line. As such, Antenucci ought to have at least a nodding acquaintance with the offside law, which he clearly doesn't.

Sharp never had a chance to show his credentials as, in the first half particularly, it was clear we were never going to get the ball in the box.

Antenucci, on the otter hand, had every opportunity to show how well he can play off defenders' shoulders. And he did. He is the new Tresor Kandol.