Leeds v Millwall - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds v Millwall - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by Drs.Dad »

Twiggster wrote:HERE are today's goals. All three were brilliant! How Ross sneaked his under the keeper, I dunno?

Straight nutmeg Twiggs!
:tup:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Drs.Dad wrote:

Straight nutmeg Twiggs!
:tup:
Aye - thank fook Butland can keep his legs together...oo-err, missus. :-D
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds started slowly which is nothing unusual thesedays allowing Millwall far too much space as we were shapeless & all over the place in the first 20 minutes. Smith's back header which looped over the Wall keeper David Force to give us a undeserved lead. That goal seem to stun the Lions although they could quite easily have scored three times during the first period. McCormack eased the nerves somewhat as he latched onto a ball from Lees & from a tight angle Ross shot through the keeper's legs.The second half was more of the same as Millwall tried to play football with little punch upfront until DJ Campbell stepped forward from the bench to unleash an unstoppable strike in the 72nd minute....hence jangling nerves as we continued to play hoof, head tennis, ping-pong, more hoof causing mass panic as we hung onto our slender lead. Unbelievably enough we had two excellent missed opportunities in the 95th minute to kill off the lions challenge

Butland - 7
Byram - 5
Pearce - 7
Lees - 6
Pugh - 5
Mowatt 6
Murphy 6
Austin 4
Wickham - 7
Smith - 7
McCormack 6

South Stand - 10 Wolfie & his gang doing a fine job to prevent ER becoming a morgue, reminds me of the old Scratching Shed days :clap:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Vinnie leads the Kop with a ½ time MOT.
By all accounts, the South Stand deserved the honour more.
Well done indeed, to the SS5 Crew :tup:

Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

Just to add a bit of humour, not to mention incomprehension from todays game.......

During the second half, some guy in a suit, accompanied by a female steward, squatted down in front of me and asked the two guys behind me to accompany him. After multiple "What me's?" they went along, returning 10 minutes later, looking angry and confused.
The female steward had reported them for shouting "You foreign barstewards" , and they were told that Leeds United would not stand for racism. The guys replied that there is nothing racist about calling foreigners 'foreign', as indeed that is what they are! The accusers then said "Well you were swearing". Methinks they would have to arrest the whole crowd for that!
Whatever happened to rationality and a sense of humour???
:duno:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Drs.Dad wrote:Just to add a bit of humour, not to mention incomprehension from todays game.......

During the second half, some guy in a suit, accompanied by a female steward, squatted down in front of me and asked the two guys behind me to accompany him. After multiple "What me's?" they went along, returning 10 minutes later, looking angry and confused.
The female steward had reported them for shouting "You foreign barstewards" , and they were told that Leeds United would not stand for racism. The guys replied that there is nothing racist about calling foreigners 'foreign', as indeed that is what they are! The accusers then said "Well you were swearing". Methinks they would have to arrest the whole crowd for that!

Jobsworth idiots :roll:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Drs.Dad wrote:Just to add a bit of humour, not to mention incomprehension from todays game.......

What was the "foreign" reference about?
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

VINNIE!! :tup:

eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

At the end of the day its 3pts and all that matters if you up against promotion or relegation you take the points no matter how you get them.Hopefully it will have put a bit of confidence into the players but we will have to wait and see now to get some rest and shut eye ready for the long trip to the south coast.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote:At the end of the day its 3pts and all that matters if you up against promotion or relegation you take the points no matter how you get them.Hopefully it will have put a bit of confidence into the players but we will have to wait and see now to get some rest and shut eye ready for the long trip to the south coast.
I doubt it.....better/clinical teams would have made more of those opportunities Millwall had yesterday.

Bournemouth will be tough !

Safe journey EY :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

beyond a good but expected result I'm afraid I can't comment
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:
I doubt it.....better/clinical teams would have made more of those opportunities Millwall had yesterday.

Bournemouth will be tough !

Safe journey EY :tup:
If you look at the Millwall strikers then the names DJ Campbell and Simeon Jackson stand out. DJ obviously got a great goal and throughout his career has always had the ability to score goals. Simeon Jackson is the player a lot of fans wanted us to sign as the replacement for Beckford. At the end of the day if the Millwall players score all their chances then they would be playing at a higher level. We could well have scored a few more ourselves.

The championship isn't pretty. Look at the goal QPR scored to go 2-1 up v Boro. You have to be good enough to take good luck when it comes your way. No team will simply roll over and die in this division and anyone can beat anyone. Like I have said repeatedly we have a mid-table standard group of players and as such we will win some and lose some. If we win a few in a row it breeds confidence and when you feel confident then it is amazing how many breaks go your way and how many games you find a way to win when not playing well.

We don't have a divine right to simply go out and batter teams like Millwall. Yes if we had a team that was substantially better than theirs we would be expected to - that isn't the case. Give the lads credit for getting the win and hope that it galvanises them and we do start to play better.

Even the best players struggle. The amazing Nakhee Wells has only scored 1 goal in his last 11 matches and he is supposedly the best striker in the world....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Any ----------------------------------------------------------------- and I've avowed not to do that any more...Teams can dominate and fail to win ..it's true, but we're going to need to be really lucky than good because we've not dominated consistently for months. --------------------------------------------------...

My previous post of good result expected win refers to the fact we were due a win, this group of players are too good to go to the end of the season winless, ...

---------------------------------------------------------

edited to remove criticism of certain LUFC employee
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:
If you look at the Millwall strikers then the names DJ Campbell and Simeon Jackson stand out. DJ obviously got a great goal and throughout his career has always had the ability to score goals. Simeon Jackson is the player a lot of fans wanted us to sign as the replacement for Beckford. At the end of the day if the Millwall players score all their chances then they would be playing at a higher level. We could well have scored a few more ourselves.

The championship isn't pretty. Look at the goal QPR scored to go 2-1 up v Boro. You have to be good enough to take good luck when it comes your way. No team will simply roll over and die in this division and anyone can beat anyone. Like I have said repeatedly we have a mid-table standard group of players and as such we will win some and lose some. If we win a few in a row it breeds confidence and when you feel confident then it is amazing how many breaks go your way and how many games you find a way to win when not playing well.

We don't have a divine right to simply go out and batter teams like Millwall. Yes if we had a team that was substantially better than theirs we would be expected to - that isn't the case. Give the lads credit for getting the win and hope that it galvanises them and we do start to play better.

Even the best players struggle. The amazing Nakhee Wells has only scored 1 goal in his last 11 matches and he is supposedly the best striker in the world....
I know we are a mid-table side as I predicted that fact at the beginning of the season. Its more or less a guarantee the rubbish masquerading as football chucked at us week in week in......hoof, simple passes going astray, no shape, lack of running off the ball.....boring, numb, awful garbage ! What the hell they do at Thorpe Arch god only knows. I'd feel guilty about about picking up such a huge salary if I put in a shift like the current bunch do these days.
You need to spend some of your time & dosh Weasel to help you understand how our fans suffer every week watching such tosh :x
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

Twiggster wrote:
What was the "foreign" reference about?

Just a bit of routine gobbing off at Millwall's overseas contingent! No idea where they came from, so lumped them all as 'foreigners'.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Love the Norman Collier impression, faaip :tup:
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:
I know we are a mid-table side as I predicted that fact at the beginning of the season. Its more or less a guarantee the rubbish masquerading as football chucked at us week in week in......hoof, simple passes going astray, no shape, lack of running off the ball.....boring, numb, awful garbage ! What the hell they do at Thorpe Arch god only knows. I'd feel guilty about about picking up such a huge salary if I put in a shift like the current bunch do these days.
You need to spend some of your time & dosh Weasel to help you understand how our fans suffer every week watching such tosh :x
I sympathise with you putting yourself through the poor performances week in, week out. I go to a handful of games each season but haven't really been that interested this season, only saw the first game. The phrase polishing a t*rd springs to mind with this squad and trying to get them to play good passing/possession football. I do believe that the signing of Murphy was a big indicator of the style BMc wanted us to adopt, you don't buy a midfield player from Crewe if you don't want to develop a passing game. My sympathies lie with BMc as he probably expected to be able to bring more signings in after Murphy and he has had to continually tinker with the formation to try to get a system that works. As such Murphy looked isolated in a lot of games I saw on the tv as the play constantly bypassed him. I remember a game on the tv recently, think it was v QPR and we had the ball for about 30 seconds and there were 4 or 5 times the players in possession could have played a 5 yard pass to Murphy but instead they seemed to ignore him choosing instead to run ith the ball or try a longer pass to someone else.

I run a Sunday League side and every Tuesday night we do our training and have a game and to see us passing and moving there you;d think we were an amazing side (certainly a lot better than the useless Hyde side that train before us). Then it comes to Sunday and the same players play some shocking passes, stand around like statues and look like a 3rd rate pub team. It is though all about being brave on the ball and being brave enough to want the ball. However when a team is low on confidence then players simply don't want to make a mistake especially at a club as big as ours where 25,000 fans are watching you make a mistake. Leeds needs player that can play in front of crowd and are strong characters. Do we have many of those? We also need patience from the fans and acceptance that mistakes are part of learning if we are to become a good ball playing side.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote:
I sympathise with you putting yourself through the poor performances week in, week out. I go to a handful of games each season but haven't really been that interested this season, only saw the first game. The phrase polishing a t*rd springs to mind with this squad and trying to get them to play good passing/possession football. I do believe that the signing of Murphy was a big indicator of the style BMc wanted us to adopt, you don't buy a midfield player from Crewe if you don't want to develop a passing game. My sympathies lie with BMc as he probably expected to be able to bring more signings in after Murphy and he has had to continually tinker with the formation to try to get a system that works. As such Murphy looked isolated in a lot of games I saw on the tv as the play constantly bypassed him. I remember a game on the tv recently, think it was v QPR and we had the ball for about 30 seconds and there were 4 or 5 times the players in possession could have played a 5 yard pass to Murphy but instead they seemed to ignore him choosing instead to run ith the ball or try a longer pass to someone else.

I run a Sunday League side and every Tuesday night we do our training and have a game and to see us passing and moving there you;d think we were an amazing side (certainly a lot better than the useless Hyde side that train before us). Then it comes to Sunday and the same players play some shocking passes, stand around like statues and look like a 3rd rate pub team. It is though all about being brave on the ball and being brave enough to want the ball. However when a team is low on confidence then players simply don't want to make a mistake especially at a club as big as ours where 25,000 fans are watching you make a mistake. Leeds needs player that can play in front of crowd and are strong characters. Do we have many of those? We also need patience from the fans and acceptance that mistakes are part of learning if we are to become a good ball playing side.

yes we do...
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I thought the team we put out and the formation was good but our midfield was terrible.

In the first half Rudi did OKAY in harrying and tackling but was terrible on the ball, second half he was just as bad with the ball but to slow to close down, Murphy was generally anonymous the who match, Mowatt was terrible off the ball first half but did well with it, second half he stepped up his work rate and was just as good in possession .

The defence suffered for lack of cover from midfield, Pearce was good the other three just okay, Pugh and Byram were attempting to support going forward but often we just didn't keep the ball for long enough for it to work.

Smith was okay up front without dominating his defenders, Ross was busy as was Wickham although Wickham got worse into the second half.

There was so little movement for the man on the ball all across the pitch that it is frustrating, I think this is what leads to our lack of patience on the ball and lack of possession.

The subs came on much to late for me too and when they came it put more pressure on us as we changed to a more defensive formation.

I would have brought on Tonge for Murphy and Stewart for Wickham, Rudi needed to come off too. When he took off Mowatt I was amazed.

Butland - 7
Byram - 6
Pearce - 7
Lees - 6
Pugh - 6
Mowatt 6
Murphy 4
Austin 5
Wickham - 5
Smith - 6
McCormack 6
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mav wrote:I thought the team we put out and the formation was good but our midfield was terrible.

In the first half Rudi did OKAY in harrying and tackling but was terrible on the ball, second half he was just as bad with the ball but to slow to close down, Murphy was generally anonymous the who match, Mowatt was terrible off the ball first half but did well with it, second half he stepped up his work rate and was just as good in possession .

The defence suffered for lack of cover from midfield, Pearce was good the other three just okay, Pugh and Byram were attempting to support going forward but often we just didn't keep the ball for long enough for it to work.

Smith was okay up front without dominating his defenders, Ross was busy as was Wickham although Wickham got worse into the second half.

There was so little movement for the man on the ball all across the pitch that it is frustrating, I think this is what leads to our lack of patience on the ball and lack of possession.

The subs came on much to late for me too and when they came it put more pressure on us as we changed to a more defensive formation.

I would have brought on Tonge for Murphy and Stewart for Wickham, Rudi needed to come off too. When he took off Mowatt I was amazed.

Butland - 7
Byram - 6
Pearce - 7
Lees - 6
Pugh - 6
Mowatt 6
Murphy 4
Austin 5
Wickham - 5
Smith - 6
McCormack 6

easy to see why the midfield failed when there were only 3