Leeds v Barnsley - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v Barnsley - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by Genghers »

Smith should have buried one of the two chances he got in the first 10 mins and it would have been a very different game. As '64 says though, the referee changed the game with his appalling decisions, particularly when it came to our big man... Barnsley defenders holding onto him every time the ball went into their box, the only time he managed to get free and leap above the pack he was penalised! :roll:

Some really soft bookings for our midfield too- Murphy winning the ball in the challenge which cost him the next match and Tonge booked for pulling back (which had been going on all of the first half) within a minute or so of coming on at the start of the second were particularly bad.

That said, we were far too negative in the first half, struggling to keep possession because of too much hoof. There were plenty of times when Pugh was in acres of space down the left, but Pearce was determined to keep smashing it up to Smith. They could easily have been ahead after a mistake from Zalukias let in Tudgay, but we held on and were much better in the second half...

Even though we had a lot of pressure it was all too easy to deal with for Barnsley, especially in the last 20mins when Lees ignored all of Byram's running on the wing and hoofed the exact same ball from just inside their half diagonally into the box... I think that even if he had played one or two down the wing, we might have converted a chance.

Not our day, but I think the team showed a lack of creativity. I think a winger to come off the bench and change the shape is definitely no.1 on the list for January, and maybe a better competitive midfielder as I don't think Tonge or Brown are good enough to come on for more than a half.

Zalukias MOTM, generally the most composed player on the pitch and made countless interceptions/important slides. There were a few times he made clearing headers, ended up on the floor, but then managed to get up to make another. Hopefully the shocking tackle that got Tudgay sent off didn't do too much lasting damage. Hopefully we'll get him tied down to a longer contract before the end of the season!
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

yeah i agree Ghenghers we are a bit softly/ softly as it goes and it`s time for hardness and some.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Where are all the other reports then, surely there must of been more off here amongst the big attendance !

Btw I texted some of my friends on here there must be 31k in the ground......I mis-calculated by 31 :P

East Yorks will no doubt be along later :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote:Smith should have buried one of the two chances he got in the first 10 mins and it would have been a very different game. As '64 says though, the referee changed the game with his appalling decisions, particularly when it came to our big man... Barnsley defenders holding onto him every time the ball went into their box, the only time he managed to get free and leap above the pack he was penalised! :roll:

Some really soft bookings for our midfield too- Murphy winning the ball in the challenge which cost him the next match and Tonge booked for pulling back (which had been going on all of the first half) within a minute or so of coming on at the start of the second were particularly bad.

That said, we were far too negative in the first half, struggling to keep possession because of too much hoof. There were plenty of times when Pugh was in acres of space down the left, but Pearce was determined to keep smashing it up to Smith. They could easily have been ahead after a mistake from Zalukias let in Tudgay, but we held on and were much better in the second half...

Even though we had a lot of pressure it was all too easy to deal with for Barnsley, especially in the last 20mins when Lees ignored all of Byram's running on the wing and hoofed the exact same ball from just inside their half diagonally into the box... I think that even if he had played one or two down the wing, we might have converted a chance.

Not our day, but I think the team showed a lack of creativity. I think a winger to come off the bench and change the shape is definitely no.1 on the list for January, and maybe a better competitive midfielder as I don't think Tonge or Brown are good enough to come on for more than a half.

Zalukias MOTM, generally the most composed player on the pitch and made countless interceptions/important slides. There were a few times he made clearing headers, ended up on the floor, but then managed to get up to make another. Hopefully the shocking tackle that got Tudgay sent off didn't do too much lasting damage. Hopefully we'll get him tied down to a longer contract before the end of the season!
Hope you enjoyed your day Genghers even though the performance was poor & we didn't get the result we all wished for !
Tbh we'd have probably lost that game under the stewardship of Larry or Warnock, at least we gained a point & went up one place in the table !
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Post by markolufc »

That Perkins was again a handful. The only thing I keep thinking is why he always terrorises us, he can't be that good or he'd not STILL be at Barnsley.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Got to agree with 1964s report. Too many players had an off day, Peltier wasn't his usual steady away self and Lees hasn't really developed how we would have hoped over the last couple of seasons and always looks very uncomfortable when he has the ball. Austin's good home form didn't continue and we missed his forward running into the box. Murphy tried his best to get things going but with very few outlets as no one was making space or runs. As for Smith he certainly takes some batterings but just hasn't got the killer instinct in front of goal,with his feet. Most of his goals have come with his head. Regarding Zaliukas,I'm hoping its nothing more than a bit of bruising as we cannot manage without him.
So no early Xmas party for the Elland Road faithful in a dour game of little excitement. Barnsley had clearly been boosted by the arrival of Danny Wilson but we should have been able to break the hoodoo and send them home pointless, but, as they say " it's a funny old game". So it's on to Blackpool and a much better performance is needed in what will be a tough game. I'm in the bad books at home as I failed to mention it was a 5.15 ko and my other half had already arranged an evening out with her family, therefore she wasn't impressed when I said I'd be home around 8.30 at the earliest... Oh the joys of Christmas!!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

markolufc wrote:That Perkins was again a handful. The only thing I keep thinking is why he always terrorises us, he can't be that good or he'd not STILL be at Barnsley.
I said jokingly on the coach to those around me on the way to ER the MOTM will be Perkins, as you say he must only turn up when the Tykes play Leeds or surely he would have moved on from Oakwell
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:Got to agree with 1964s report. Too many players had an off day, Peltier wasn't his usual steady away self and Lees hasn't really developed how we would have hoped over the last couple of seasons and always looks very uncomfortable when he has the ball. Austin's good home form didn't continue and we missed his forward running into the box. Murphy tried his best to get things going but with very few outlets as no one was making space or runs. As for Smith he certainly takes some batterings but just hasn't got the killer instinct in front of goal,with his feet. Most of his goals have come with his head. Regarding Zaliukas,I'm hoping its nothing more than a bit of bruising as we cannot manage without him.
So no early Xmas party for the Elland Road faithful in a dour game of little excitement. Barnsley had clearly been boosted by the arrival of Danny Wilson but we should have been able to break the hoodoo and send them home pointless, but, as they say " it's a funny old game". So it's on to Blackpool and a much better performance is needed in what will be a tough game. I'm in the bad books at home as I failed to mention it was a 5.15 ko and my other half had already arranged an evening out with her family, therefore she wasn't impressed when I said I'd be home around 8.30 at the earliest... Oh the joys of Christmas!!!
First time I've done an away game on Boxing Day mindst I'm going by car so will save alot of time on not picking up a coach at Leeds. Home by 9.15pm hopefully
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Good pics Baker boy :tup: Atmosphere looked and sounded amazing. Hope it was a good experience despite the result.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

once again United failed to overcome Barnsley we were well off song which just goes to show that we are not as good as our league position shows.Thats 4 pts thrown away in our last 2 home games and with 2 hard away games to come it could well prove to be valuable points lost.
Kenny 6 not a lot to do
Peltier2 Please let it be a while before we see him again
lees 4 Not up to last seasons standard
Zalikas 8 Agian the pick
Pearce 7 Did nothing wrong
Pugh 6 got forward well
Austin 3 Needs to go back to basics
Mowatt 3 Deserved to be taken off
Murphy 7 A solid display
McCormack 5 poor game thats why we struggled
Smith 3 Oh dear missed 2 easy chances and let his head drop

Byram 3 Struggles to find last season,s form