Leeds v Watford - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Leeds v Watford - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Surely BM will select the same eleven barring injuries for this one

Would be great to continue our winning run at ER over the Watford boys

Should we win on Saturday I reckon Zola will be looking over his shoulders with regard to his managerial stint at Vicarage Road
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v Watford - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by Twiggster »

No Blackstock, as he is still having tests at forest, on a suspected cruciate injury. We are still paying his wages tho - HMMMM :roll:

Other than that, no probs ahead of Saturday. Would like to see Samby start ahead of Pelts and hopefully Warnock ahead of Pugh. Keep the same team otherwise.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Twiggster wrote:No Blackstock, as he is still having tests at forest, on a suspected cruciate injury. We are still paying his wages tho - HMMMM :roll:

Other than that, no probs ahead of Saturday. Would like to see Samby start ahead of Pelts and hopefully Warnock ahead of Pugh. Keep the same team otherwise.
I heard it was a suspected cartilage problem from Phil Hay... He's only with us till Jan, so if he is injured then it's only a month we'll be paying for it (if there isn't an injury clause in the loan).

I would like Byram to come back into the team, though we're doing pretty well defensively for the most part and I suspect Brian will only use him when he's fully ready. Pugh sounds to have been performing well too, so don't think he should be displaced just yet.

We could do with finding another striker from the ranks who can score a few, just to take the pressure off/give competition for Ross. Poleon's not featured for a while...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anyone going today apart from the usual select few ?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

We're at home and above Watford in the league - only a win will do
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Tricky enough fixture this one home or not maybe not a lot of goals or to exciting but for me not an easy match.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Watford won't have forgotten the last game of last season when we denied them any chance of automatic promotion. But no doubt we haven't forgotten the 1-6 drubbing at Elland rd. So an out of form Watford arrive at ER today looking to re ignite their season. We're on an excellent run at home only conceding 2 in our last 5 games and winning them all, so much of the same from us and I think we'll be too good for them. Our defence at home has looked particularly strong so another clean sheet please. :)
LEEDSirish
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LEEDSirish »

is this game on the radio
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Show`s what i know when i forecast this one not to produce many goals.but maybe a draw is ok for now but at seasons end not winning it may well cost us.
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

Given we were 2-0 down at half time I'm not disappointed by the draw.

IMPORTANT MATCHDAY STATS

First half was pants.
Second half was fantastic football to watch.
They have some bloomin' quick players.

And the most amazing incident of the game...

On 34 minutes a Watford player fell over AND MANAGED TO GET UP ON HIS OWN!
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Sounds like I missed an nearly stellar second half against Serie A/B, I mean Watford. Can't wait for the report cards on this one!
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

I can't give a report, but click HERE are the goals.
What our defence was doing for W'fords 1st two, I dunno? Talk about leave your keeper stranded! :roll: 2nd goal, their attackers were queuing up, FFS! :x
All our goals were superb tho,eh? :tup: How the hell did Pugh squeeze his home from that angle? :shock:

Sorry Paddy - I've applauded him in the past few games and he had no chance for first 2 goals today, but their third was simple goal keeping. OK, our crap defence beaten for speed again, but the shot wasn't hit hard and he should have KEPT it. You know - he's a KEEPER? When you look at that again, there was no need to punch it. Looks a pretty easy catch, but if he had to punch it, knock it behind, or up in the air - NOT back at their strikers. Was the shot even on target? Eddie wasn't too sympathetic in his comments about Paddy either, about that.

Ah well - I think everyone Leeds would have taken a draw at ½ time - but to be let down at the end again, is bloody disappointing.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Yes twiggster it could well be on the day two points dropped it seems that they were there for the taken.
Costly but may the force of a spirited fightback be with us in future., two ol` derbies on the way soon.
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

just back from the match. great day out today and im really impressed with the peacock, looks mint.

it was a game of 2 halves, first half we were abysmal at the back, byram looks awful so did peltier and zaliukas. infact the whole defence was crap, smith and mccormack didnt link up well and murphy was a shower of s**t, having said that matt smith should have scored twice.

second half we came out all guns blazing and danny pugh had a great half as did austin, smith murphy and mccormack. i felt cheated by the result we should ahve wopn 4-2.

Kenny 7 should have done better with watfords 3rd

peltier 4 not comfortable with him at cb and had a stinker

zaliukas 3 kept backing off for me crap

pearce 6 not great

Byram 4 no where near match fit and lost his man a couple of times. over played last year

Mowatt 6 did ok needs to learn how to take a shot

murphy 7 decent second halfbut at fault for goal number 3

austin 7 powerful in the second half put some decent tackles in

pugh 9 mom today tackled hard and got forward, took hios goal well

ross 8 never gave up pulled wide alot second half and held the ball well

smith 8 had a few chances, menace with his height seems to grow in every game, needs to work on his finishing
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Cheers joe lufc and thank`s what`s your take on the tactics aren`t we at 3-5 -2 ?and against sides of watford`s reknown pace and a busy xmas with blackpool and forest in quik succession are we going to be strong and lucky enough to at least not suffer a `mare especially away from elland rd.?
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Just looking at Ross' goal today again. Superb strike, but what about the ball from Murphy, to put Ross on goal? :shock:
Frikkin brilliant! :tup:
Heard from a few pals at the game saying Murphy a good MOTM contender, as his direction in M/F going forward covered for a woeful Rodi show today....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote:Just looking at Ross' goal today again. Superb strike, but what about the ball from Murphy, to put Ross on goal? :shock:
Frikkin brilliant! :tup:
Heard from a few pals at the game saying Murphy a good MOTM contender, as his direction in M/F going forward covered for a woeful Rodi show today....
Murphy was the MOTM :tup:

Report to follow......
1964white

Post by 1964white »

At half-time I thought we were doomed, I really couldn't see a way back after we had a lot of possession but looked lethargic.
Watford caught us on the break twice with their pace we couldn't deal with, for their 2nd goal we had a corner which was cleared & they broke with avengence. Byram should have committed a professional foul & taken a yellow card but allowed his attacker to breeze by him at will, by the time they reached our box they had five players against our two as we lumbered back like donkeys !
The 2nd half was a totally different story as we came out fired up full of aggression & guile as we bombarded the Watford goal, three goals in quick succession created manic celebrations on the terraces with a buzzing atmosphere I've not witnessed at ER in a long time. We could have had four more goals in that 20 minute period as their keeper made three great saves & young Mowatt was unlucky not score a debut goal with a shot that hit the bar. Meanwhile Watford were still breaking from deep in what was a end to end game. I knew Watford would score again, I was just happy we had got the three goals before they did find the back of the net again.The game almost swung in favour of the Vicarage Road Italians in the dying seconds but they were thrawted with a superb last-ditch tackle by Zaliukas to keep the points equal. An exhilarating, compelling, wonderful 2nd half....more please :-D
Murphy & Mowatt are a joy to watch in our midfield, McCormack, Pugh, Smith & Zaliukas were superb too !

Kenny 7 - made some fine saves, unfortunately probably at fault for the equaliser
Byram 5 - young Sam is a pale shadow of the form we know he is capable of.....convinced he is nowhere near 100% match-fit or the hip injury is still apparent
Peltier 5 - struggled at times with the pace of the game
Pearce 5 - ditto - his worst game from our most consistent performer this season
Zaliukas - 8 - would have fallen apart without this fella commanding at the back, his last-ditch savivg tackle earned us a point
Pugh - 8 - you could say Pugh started the ball rolling with a couple of his tackles , runs down the left culmulating with a superb well- taken goal
Austin - 6 - does the dirty stuff well as he runs around like a headless chicken, his other aspects of the game are not so good
Murphy 9 - just pips McCormack & Mowatt for the MOTM, I said a few weeks ago young Luke was starting to show his metal, yesterday he raised the bar with a stunning all round performance, he was everywhere, his passing a joy to behold
Mowatt 8 - what can I say about young Alex, still learning the game, unlucky not to grab a debut goal with a shot that hit the bar
Smith 8 - battered his marker & won most of his headers, so pleased to see him score after missing a couple of chances
McCormack 9 - made two goals & scored the third, superb, stunning 2nd half from Ross, ran his socks off. This is not the McComack I was witnessing under previous managers. Well done Ross :tup:

Atmosphere 10 - just shows the fans will respond when our team turns up & entertains, the very least we expect for our hard-earned cash, ER almost felt like the old days once again :scarf1: :scarf2:
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Great 1964 i would love to have seen it ,second half comeback an ` all . Do you reckon it`s more a positive to have done this or are we still for the taken with the likes of these so called top sides in the league? Surely were` getting better under Bmc D but you v`e said it more metal and hardiness is needed oh and that winning mentality.
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Parrot we need to improve at the back but Murphy and mowatt looked decent today. I've no doubt when Byram is fit we will be a lot more solid. I also have a good feeling this year with Brian. He doesn't do negativity he's so positive. 2players off for me
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]