Leeds v Yeovil - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds v Yeovil - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by theleedsmango »

I've heard many remarks on twitter and forums that we are wasteful with chances, that we have no one who can 'win the game' for us.

Regardless of how individuals played, Austin (with his chances) and McCormack (with his finishing) won the game for us. Great to see. Along with a clean sheet of course.

'Ah but it's only Yeovil Town'... never really works in the Championship. Sheff Wed put 5 past Reading, Burnley fought back to secure a win against Millwall... anybody can beat anybody on their day and therefore we need to be on top form, even against the so called easy teams.

Charlton away up next, would be good to see us get a result there and get a bit of form.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Guildford White wrote:Quick summary

Yeovil murdered us 0-0 in the first half.

McCormack showed he has the touch of a brick wall as everything bounced randomly off his knees, shins, anywhere but his boots.

Smith managed to completely miss the ball when presented with an open goal 5 yards out.

Murphy looked very tidy.

Second half we settled into our 4 centre back formation, Austin's runs showed more purpose and Ross scored 2 from Austin through balls,

Despite having 4 centre backs (5 if you include Peltier), Lees was the only one who looked as if he had played there before.

3 points but a grim performance
Right GW, like you this was my first game attended this season. I agree with your Yeovil murdered us in the first half sentiment.

What do you mean by "Murphy looked very tidy"?

I thought Austin had a brilliant game, impressed with Mowatt and Blackstock. I also thought peltier played well, the bloke behind me obviously thought otherwise :lol:

I enjoyed the game and enjoyed the result :tup:

From my seat in the West Stand I had a good view of Drs Dad and Drs Mum :P :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

What I meant was Murphy impressed me.

Nothing flash, just neat and tidy, winning the ball and playing simple passes to a team mate. Because of his style Austin makes a bigger impression (mostly good today, although sometimes he can make a big impression of how bad he can be) but Murphy does the simple things well in an unfussy way.

I like that.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

Guildford White wrote:What I meant was Murphy impressed me.

Nothing flash, just neat and tidy, winning the ball and playing simple passes to a team mate. Because of his style Austin makes a bigger impression (mostly good today, although sometimes he can make a big impression of how bad he can be) but Murphy does the simple things well in an unfussy way.

I like that.

Murphy didn't impress me at all. In fact I thought he was a shower of sh!te. He backed off from the ball and the Yeovil players and had spells of looking completely disinterested. Just my observation of course :bear:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

How did Zali do? Seemed like he got turned a bit easily by their strikers, from Eddie's comments? :duno:

Bri Mac post game, today: "I had a word with Marius for doing nutmegs by his own area. He won't be doing it again."
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Been ridiculed in the pub for saying that I thought murphy had a good game..
Some parts of play from him was not bad at all.. Calm and got his head up!
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:Been ridiculed in the pub for saying that I thought murphy had a good game..
Just the same as me Wolfie, that's exactly what I saw too
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Guildford White wrote:

Me too :tup:

Although over the 90 minutes I thought Pearce & Peltier were our most consistent performers !
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Guildford White wrote:
People think I'm an idiot for saying this..
64 peltier is still not doing it for me.. There was chances were pelts had the chance to play the ball to rudi (rudi was to blame aswell fir not making the run)
Down the right wing and nothing came of it.. Austins wild not keen on him!

Pearce is getting stronger and stronger while lees is going the other way!

Murphy had a good game though can't fault with what he did in the middle did his job!

As for the south stand!!! Woefull!!

Me and a few lads tried getting it going to no prevail!!
More interested in "your support is f**king s**t" than old leeds songs!!

To many what to stand there quiet!!
Time to get behind the team!!

Ss5 project took a bad turn today
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:Been ridiculed in the pub for saying that I thought murphy had a good game..
64, Wolfie and GW all sat at the ends, Kop/South Stand, I was in the West Stand, Murphy was sh1te, he backed off from challenge after challenge, ducked tackles etc. If that was a good game, I would hate to witness a bad game. :bear:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

becchio bear wrote:
64, Wolfie and GW all sat at the ends, Kop/South Stand, I was in the West Stand, Murphy was sh1te, he backed off from challenge after challenge, ducked tackles etc. If that was a good game, I would hate to witness a bad game. :bear:
You appear to be a minority of one, BB. From match goers all across the forums and from my trusty "mates at the game" in East Stand and even from Egg post game - Murphy was quietly solid today. Did what he had to do very well. :duno:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote:
It's all about opinions BB

I thought Murphy looked comfortable & composed on the ball
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Murphy did what was asked.. Dint get me wrong bb.. Plenty of people have told me I'm talking shite..

I've even had a argument with someone over it.. But I think the lad did what was asked!

Was going to make some comment about your shed but thought better about it
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:Murphy did what was asked.. Dint get me wrong bb.. Plenty of people have told me I'm talking shite..

I've even had a argument with someone over it.. But I think the lad did what was asked!

Was going to make some comment about your shed but thought better about it
I thought Murphy was sh!te today. That's my opinion and it will stand. As I said earlier I thought Peltier was good yet the bloke behind me berated him the entire match. People see things differently, doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

Feel free to comment on my shed, either way you're not getting in lol :wink: :bear:
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

becchio bear wrote:
I thought Murphy was sh!te today. That's my opinion and it will stand. As I said earlier I thought Peltier was good yet the bloke behind me berated him the entire match. People see things differently, doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

Feel free to comment on my shed, either way you're not getting in lol :wink: :bear:
As I recall, you think U2 are good too?

I see a pattern
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Guildford White wrote:

I see a pattern

YESS! Post of the week, GW! :roflmao: :tup: :tup: :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Well that was the stereotypical game of two halves! The first half was pretty bad, it was a relief to go in at 0-0 to be honest, our midfield was non-existent and as the game went on, Yeovil were looking like the home side by the way they dictated play. Austin was poor, McCormack was holding onto the ball far too long again and Tom Lees just looked nervous more than me probably
The forced substitution of Warnock was a headscratcher when McDermott brought Zaliukas on and switched Pearce to left wing back.Varney or Diouf would have been my choice of substitution in an effort to maintain more possession. Also McDermott must have been the only person in the ground who didn't see Warnock was crocked, should have had a sub stripped off & ready to come on as soon as SW went down badly injured....15 minutes late BM reacts & makes the substitution, could of cost us dearly !
Hilariously predictable that when several people including myself that Ross should be benched, McCormack decides to turn up come in the 2nd half, those of us who were there would know it was his first contribution to the game but let's not dwell on that, we all love a player who contributes for three minutes every game :roll: in fairness he took his goals well today but honestly, both were on a plate; at least he seems to have got over his passing to keeper phase with the sitters he missed against Brum :-D Meanwhile, back in the real world I thought it was another average performance, Yeovil looked quite bright but don't have anyone who can score, luckily enough for us! I found seeing Pearce as a left winger quite scary but he actually did alright, it just didn't feel quite right seeing him that far up the pitch! Austin another inconsistent performance, terrible at times then sublime passes to create goal opportunities. Smith was a ineffective and Blackstock showed some good touches and caused their back line problems; Marius did fine although I missed him nutmegging player in our own box :oops: which I hear BMc has explained won't be happening again
3 points at home to team bottom of the league, nothing to get giddy about but we're in the mix and I said pre-season that if we were in amongst it at the end of October looking at the fixtures, it'd be a good indication - work still to be done but let's just take the win and move on; I think they call it winning ugly !
My man of the match goes to Pearce, he was solid at centre half, saved us on one occasion in the first half when he managed to nick the ball away from a Yeovil striker who would have had a clear sight on goal and his second half performance as a left wing half was faultless. The lad put in yet another 100% shift and adapted well.
Peltier had a good game, as did Murphy who looked comfortable & composed on the ball

As for Yeovil i've seen worst teams in the championship this season even though the Y's are bottom of the league, could be a real banana skin at their place in February

Kenny - 7
Peltier - 7
Wootton - 6
Lees - 5
Pearce - 8
Warnock - 6
Austin - 6
Murphy - 7
Mowatt - 6
Smith - 4
McCormack - 6

Subs : Zaliakus - 6, Blackstock 6
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

Guildford White wrote:

I see a pattern
I've gone right off you :evil: :bear:
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

becchio bear wrote:
Right GW, like you this was my first game attended this season. I agree with your Yeovil murdered us in the first half sentiment.

What do you mean by "Murphy looked very tidy"?

I thought Austin had a brilliant game, impressed with Mowatt and Blackstock. I also thought peltier played well, the bloke behind me obviously thought otherwise :lol:

I enjoyed the game and enjoyed the result :tup:

From my seat in the West Stand I had a good view of Drs Dad and Drs Mum :P :bear:

I suspect that first half we were more exciting to watch than the game! If you had but known it, behind us we had Drs.DadsOtherSon, and Drs.MumsSisterLynda!
Murphy? I thought he went about his job quietly and with no flourishes, which I don't mind at all. He made mistakes, but
so did everyone. Mowatt had a quiet day, didn't do much for me. As for the argument about Ross, he is now on 7 league goals in 14 games, a return which has attracted a lot of interest in other strikers! Ross was everywhere today, Yeovil didn't know where he was going to pop up next, Rudi was excellent in the attacking, middy role, Smith did ok but nowt special.
The defence were okay, and did their job, you can't argue with a clean sheet. Peltier did an ok job going forward, but just doesn't seem interested in tracking back. Warnock quiet, but had picked up an injury which saw him subbed and was replaced by Zaliukas, who showed his lack of games, but did the job. Pearce moved to left wingback, and did alright much to my surprise, especially when heading long balls into the box. Blackstock's home debut livened things up too, he shows a bit more mobility than Smith, and I look forward to seeing him with more match fitness in his armoury.

All in all, we didn't show very well, and spent large portions of the game on the back foot, but ultimately Yeovil left themselves a bit exposed at the back, and Rudi and Ross made them pay for it. So, a welcome win, three points in the bag, up to eighth and three points off the playoffs (only another 32 games to go).
:tup:
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Post by markolufc »

The main thing today was that Yeovil set out to stop us from playing rather than play their own game, and in some ways they succeeded. They came at us with a nothing to lose attitude, but the difference in quality was definitely apparent. When we did get a chance to play, we knocked it around better than them. They threatened to cut us open a couple of times without showing any real cutting edge up front. They were sloppy on the shoulder, getting caught offside more times than I care to mention.

We missed the width that Byram provides, the 3-5-2 isn't half as effective with Peltier in the wing back position. Several times I spotted him sitting back when he should have been bombing down the wing to give someone an option. An early move from McCormack where he got possession deep in the opposition half and dribbled along the outside of the box looking for space or an option, Peltier had plenty of time to get in down towards the corner but was found sitting deep waiting.

The most important thing to take from today was that we were clinical in front of goal, at least in the second half. We took the chances when they fell our way, and that is what separates good teams from great ones.

I feel we were resilient and stoic against a Yeovil side enjoying their time in the Championship and having nothing to lose, losing out on possession but showing our superiority where it counts - at the back and at the front. We limited them to a couple of pot shots at goal from outside the box, and cut them open and made it count for our two goals.