Leeds v Birmingham - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Leeds v Birmingham - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by 1964white »

Grow some balls Brian & make several changes !

Kenny

Peltier Wootton Pearce Warnock

Byram Tonge Brown Mowatt Diouf

Smith

I wouldn't be too displeased if Varney started upfront as he will show some decent movement, we require someone up top who can win the ball in the air with Byram Mowatt & Diouf providing the creativity plus all capable of getting into the box too

The fans favourites Austin & McCormack don't warrant a place in our first eleven & can take a back seat as far as I'm concerned !
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds v Birmingham - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by woodfordwhites »

:tup:
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Since when did Brown become good enough to play for us again? :shock:

Surely we are not in such dire straits that a 36 year old is the answer to anything? Bring up Dawson instead.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote:Grow some balls Brian & make several changes !

Kenny

Peltier Wootton Pearce Warnock

Byram Tonge Brown Mowatt Diouf

Smith

I wouldn't be too displeased if Varney started upfront as he will show some decent movement, we require someone up top who can win the ball in the air with Byram Mowatt & Diouf providing the creativity plus all capable of getting into the box too

The fans favourites Austin & McCormack don't warrant a place in our first eleven & can take a back seat as far as I'm concerned !
I thought you were a big fan of BMD Leon ? Losing faith ?

Interesting that you choose to keep Pearce in the team.....I know they all looked pathetic at the back but he seemed woeful to me - the ease at the way the boy Hughes skipped past him was embarrassing.
We have yet to try the Wootton/Lee's combination, so worth a try - cant be any worse !!

As for Michael Brown ? dear me......I know we are in desperate straits but really ?

I agree with you on Varney.....he does offer movement - something that Smith would not do. If we play Smith, it would have to be route one.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Crude United wrote:Since when did Brown become good enough to play for us again? :shock:

Surely we are not in such dire straits that a 36 year old is the answer to anything? Bring up Dawson instead.
We need a ball winner in midfield, Brown is the only alternative, not great I have to admit but something has to give.....MB was MOTM in his only start v Chesterfield

Dawson is a wisp of a lad & is not a ball winner !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:
I thought you were a big fan of BMD Leon ? Losing faith ?

Interesting that you choose to keep Pearce in the team.....I know they all looked pathetic at the back but he seemed woeful to me - the ease at the way the boy Hughes skipped past him was embarrassing.
We have yet to try the Wootton/Lee's combination, so worth a try - cant be any worse !!

As for Michael Brown ? dear me......I know we are in desperate straits but really ?

I agree with you on Varney.....he does offer movement - something that Smith would not do. If we play Smith, it would have to be route one.
I am a big fan of McDermott but there is no getting way from it he has made major errors this season, I'm hoping BD turns our slump around with new innovative idea's

Pearce is arguably our most improved player under McD, there is always a mistake in young Lees, panics when he is on the ball generally looking to hoof it in any direction when closed down

Yes we are desperate as Austin is not as good as what most of you think he is, so the only alternative is old man Brown who at least can manage a short pass & can shoot given the opportunity unlike Captain Rudi

If route one is effective that maybe the way to go, McD signed Smith so it is upto our leader to find a style play that will suit the big man & the team because right now things are clearly not working out as McD would have expected I suspect !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

How can good manager make major errors...an average one could and like SG I think that's what we have
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:How can good manager make major errors...an average one could and like SG I think that's what we have
You may be right about McD mate as we both agree & have already highlighted his mistakes in previous threads but we have to give him time to prove himself at Leeds.
Grayson had four years managing LUFC !
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

1964white wrote: Brown is the only alternative, not great I have to admit but something has to give.....
I heard MB needs some more swag for his yellow/red card collection to cover the north wall of his dining room.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Cant agree with the tactic of reverting back to Michael Brown.......that would be such a backward step. Austin, as poor as he has been in last few games, is a much better player. We were all saying how well the skipper was playing earlier in the season, just need him to pick up that kind of form again.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
joshlucas
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by joshlucas »

I, like many would like some width, if no loanees come in then the only real width we have is the full backs, so lets go and use them. Not a massive fan of 3-5-2 but maybe worth a try, 3 centre backs surely better than playing any of the 2 we have got. Several options for the wing backs with the full backs we have and give murphy a chance in the middle rather than the left of a diamond. Mowatt and tonge as the other midfielders to provide creativity and experience in tonge. Kenny just keeps his place and use varney or smith as the target man, with Ross up front alongside one of them. Plenty of height for defending and attacking set pieces.

......................Kenny

............lees....wotton.....pearce

...byr/pelts............................warn/white

.............mowatt...tonge....murphy

................varn/smith....ross

surely worth a go!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

joshlucas wrote:I, like many would like some width, if no loanees come in then the only real width we have is the full backs, so lets go and use them. Not a massive fan of 3-5-2 but maybe worth a try, 3 centre backs surely better than playing any of the 2 we have got. Several options for the wing backs with the full backs we have and give murphy a chance in the middle rather than the left of a diamond. Mowatt and tonge as the other midfielders to provide creativity and experience in tonge. Kenny just keeps his place and use varney or smith as the target man, with Ross up front alongside one of them. Plenty of height for defending and attacking set pieces.

surely worth a go!
Any permutation is worth a try Josh :tup:
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

could even be worth a GOAL or three as well Josh good on yer i like the jist of it and why not.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

We're on telly/streaming this game, BTW. Whether I dare to watch the game is another matter.. :roll:
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

Twiggster wrote:We're on telly/streaming this game, BTW. Whether I dare to watch the game is another matter.. :roll:

Hopefully i can find some pub or summat in London thats showing our game.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

MeeTa wrote:
Hopefully i can find some pub or summat in London thats showing our game.
I'm sure you will! I'll ask around London based Leeds fans I know. Have a great time in that landan :tup:
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

Twiggster wrote:
I'm sure you will! I'll ask around London based Leeds fans I know. Have a great time in that landan :tup:

Ah yea thanks =) Im sure somewhere in London is showing the game. Tho would be nice if it was close to the touristy part such as oxford/regent street etc
yorkshiremackem
First Team
First Team

Post by yorkshiremackem »

joshlucas wrote:

surely worth a go!
:tup: I was thinking the same formation
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I'm happy to leave it to B Mc to pick the team. He sees the team at every training session, on and off the pitch and will know who is up to the job rather than simply reverting to picking a player simply because that player has supposedly become brilliant because he isn't playing.

We have to look at the situation for what it is and the fact is that B Mc is trying to put NW's square pegs in round holes. The players he has signed may be good players but equally they may need a different type of player around them for them to really shine. In a recent post I mentioned the fact that Murphy was probably used to having players around him that were comfortable on the ball and would pass to him and want the ball back. That is a totally different type of player to the majority at Leeds that are the headless chasers, hardworking etc but not used to keeping possession. Even the more skillful players at Leeds, such as Ross McCormack, are more used to flicks rather than keeping possession. I liken it to when Leeds got Brian Kidd in and tried to change the style to a more patient game but had a team full of players that were used to playing at 100mph. Likewise when Terry Venables took over and tried to put the same players into his formation/stlye. He brought in a couple of players, namely Nick Barmby, who could play the way he wanted but because the other players couldn't Barmby looked lost and sh*t.

To get it right needs time. We need to be patient. B Mc needs to bring in a lot more players but the reality of the situation is that he is unable to do that until a lot of dead wood is shifted off the wage bill. The real glimmer of hope at the moment is the youth team as they have been brought up playing the style of football that makes them more suitable for B Mc's team. They have to be blooded at the right time though and eased into the team. For all the clamour about them don't forget they may be good but they only drew 1-1 with Sheff Utd reserves. The Leeds youth team that beat Man U's youth team in the Cup Final all had disappointing careers whereas several from the Man U beaten team had fantastic careers.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:
Grayson had four years managing LUFC !
Just a touch over 3 years
First match 26th December 2008 - last match 31st Jan 2012.

Record
2009 - Took over a 9th placed Leeds side that had lost 5 on the bounce and had also lost to non league Histon in the FA Cup. Guided them to 4th and a play-off defeat. Won their final 11 home league games equalling a Revie record.

2009-2010 - Automatic promotion. Also beat Man Utd and drew with Tottenham.

2010-2011 - Despite having no money to improve the side and losing top scorer Beckford as well as player of the year Kisnorbo (for most of the season to injury and despite recovering not the same player) guided Leeds to 7th narrowly missing out on a play-off place on the last day of the season despite beating Champions QPR.

2011-2012 - Again given no money he lost Bradley Johnson, Schmeichel and player of the year Gradel. Despite that was expected to get the side promoted. Lost the club captain, Howson, to injury and later sold. Given no money to improve in the transfer window and then sacked after losing 4-1 to Birmingham with the club just outside the play-off places. Left and got Huddersfield promoted.

Not a bad record and remarkable considering the lack of backing from the board.