Ipswich v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ipswich v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...

Post by Norm »

HarryofOz wrote:

Well we may not be that good a team but we are gritty, we have fight and we have lady luck.
With that combination we could beat (insert warmonger, football team, politician) H.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:Well we may not be that good a team but we are gritty, we have fight and we have lady luck.
And we have Brian McDermott :-D
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

And we have Brian McDermott
Quite right 64. Without him we wouldn't have the rest. :tup:

A great away victory against (for us) notably difficult away opponents.

This is really heartening. Win ugly indeed!!!!!!!!
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Tough league where anybody can beat anybody, it do t matter how you get out once you get out! Looks like we're developing a winning mentality, which is hard to shake, gives us a boost and puts doubts in the oppositions heads
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Bakerjamessteven
First Team
First Team

Ipswich v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...

Post by Bakerjamessteven »

Yes yes yes my great and wonderful team have one and I've won £10 off my mate, get in
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

only caught the second half.
keep it going leeds you f**king beauties!!!
a little bit of luck with Ross goal but f**k me we don't get much away.

like the look of the team in the last ten minutes hardly flinched when they were coming forward. please gfh gamble on two wingers now you slags.

we looked organised, fitter, but I'm still worried about crosses in to the box.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:
Quite right 64. Without him we wouldn't have the rest. :tup:

A great away victory against (for us) notably difficult away opponents.

This is really heartening. Win ugly indeed!!!!!!!!
We haven't won at Portman Road since 2001 Norm

I believe this is only third time we have taken 8 points from our first four games over the last decade. I think the majority of Leeds fans felt we had a tough August on paper when the fixture lists were released. An encouraging unbeaten start indeed :-D

gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:
We haven't won at Portman Road since 2001 Norm

I believe this is only third time we have taken 8 points from our first four games over the last decade. I think the majority of Leeds fans felt we had a tough August on paper when the fixture lists were released. An encouraging unbeaten start indeed :-D

I'm very happy with 8 points from the first 4 games, especially when the 2 away's were against teams that we rarely get much from at their place, plus Brighton, a top 6 hopeful and a local Derby, which I think we should have won but perhaps we beat Brighton where a draw may have been fairer, so it evens it self out on that front.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Emsley wrote:only caught the second half.
keep it going leeds you flipping beauties!!!
a little bit of luck with Ross goal but flipp me we don't get much away.

like the look of the team in the last ten minutes hardly flinched when they were coming forward. please gfh gamble on two wingers now you slags.

we looked organised, fitter, but I'm still worried about crosses in to the box.
Why do you call GFH slags?
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Guildford White wrote: Why do you call GFH slags?
Cos they won't put out for him.

Thought we were going to get tanked after the first 20 odd minutes - and we still didn't look fluid thereafter - but winning ugly will do for me.

Results are what will get us out of this league and today puts us in a great position for next weekend.

Who was Ross showing 3 fingers to after his goal? Or is that what passes for a 2 finger salute in Norfolk :wink:
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

three goals this season, perhaps?
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Twiggster wrote:three goals this season, perhaps?
Duh, I got that. My question was to whom was he showing them.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gino 1959 wrote: Cos they won't put out for him.

Thought we were going to get tanked after the first 20 odd minutes - and we still didn't look fluid thereafter - but winning ugly will do for me.

Results are what will get us out of this league and today puts us in a great position for next weekend.

Who was Ross showing 3 fingers to after his goal? Or is that what passes for a 2 finger salute in Norfolk :wink:
Ipswich is in Suffolk not Norfolk.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:
And we have Brian McDermott :-D
Norm wrote:
With that combination we could beat (insert warmonger, football team, politician) H.
And I will add that I'm a firm believer that you have to make your own luck to get it.

I've not been overly impressed with our play so far but you can't argue with the fact that we haven't lost yet. And when it comes down to it I've not been impressed by Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday or Ipswich either - although Ipswich were very impressive in the opening 20 minutes or so. However once we equalised, they didn't really do much apart from right at the end when desperation drove them forward.

I would really like to see a couple of midfielders brought into the team.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

HarryofOz wrote:
And I will add that I'm a firm believer that you have to make your own luck to get it.

I've not been overly impressed with our play so far but you can't argue with the fact that we haven't lost yet. And when it comes down to it I've not been impressed by Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday or Ipswich either - although Ipswich were very impressive in the opening 20 minutes or so. However once we equalised, they didn't really do much apart from right at the end when desperation drove them forward.

I would really like to see a couple of midfielders brought into the team.
I believe you create your own luck also, H.

I was screaming at my computer in the first half, mainly because we were getting annihilated down the flanks and we needed to change our tactics a bit. Fortunately we have a decent manager these days, who identified the problem and changed accordingly. I think if we are planning to play a diamond midfield, we have all the players we need (once Byram is fit), but if we are to play with width, I definitely agree with you, H. Midfielders will be required.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

weasel wrote:
Ipswich is in Suffolk not Norfolk.
:roll:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

NOT REALLY ABOUT IPSWICH/LEEDS BUT ABOUT THIS WHOLE SATISFACTORY WEEKEND.
As Watford and Notts Forest slaughtered each other 1-1, we now find ourselves only 2 points adrift after 4 games.
Not only that, we got a free geography lesson and some of us realised we have to rotate our eyeballs to see Suffolk even on a clear day. :wink:
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Maybe we've made Leicester, Sheff Wed and Ipswich play badly? Maybe we've stumbled upon the winning formula; play distinctly average, force the opponent down to the same level and beat them with experience.

QPR will be an interesting test.The 'big teams', ones that will supposedly walk this league, are still finding their feet and underestimating opponents. It's a good time to have to play QPR.

I also hope that Austin teaches Barton a thing or two about this league that he is too good for.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

Saw the match via TV replay, hence opportunity to relax and enjoy already knowing the result.
As stated many times, a combination of resilience and good fortune ensured we were still in the game after the opening quarter.
Leeds started to show threatening signs just a little prior to our 1st goal - prompt reward via Varney's left boot helped wrest the initiative and set up the ensuing tight struggle for the remainder of the game.
I felt that the authority with which LV finished made quite a statement, personally and for the team.

From then on Leeds really grew into the match and for much of the remaining hour+ we performed in quite a businesslike way.

Our 2nd goal, from memory, had a constructive buildup on the right culminating in a dribble and deep cross from LV.
Ross still had plenty to do and got a lot of power on his daisy cutter. Those low hard shots take some stopping - McG's earlier effort for the TBs another good example.
I thought we played with much purpose during the 2nd half due to many players making a sound and sensible contribution.
Am I correct in noting that Green reverted to the CM role for this match with the skipper shifting to the nominally more offensive RM role.
Our million pound midfielder had some influential patches during the 2nd half - I especially like it when he gets into more central positions where he can really dictate and link with more team mates - I sense that he often has to get too wide on the left in our current system but hopefully this will evolve to allow him to get mire centrally involved.
I am warming to Peltier both as an effective defender and as a neat constructive attacker. He is a different type of player to Byram and shouldnt be compared with him. To my mind he was up with our best performers over the game.
I have him in contention for MOTM along with Green, Varney (even with the offsides), Ross, Pearce & Warnock.
In a relatively even performance across the team I'll go with Peltier.

It's encouraging that the players are showing some certainty in the way they play their roles - consistency across the team will get us a fair way in this league even without the presence of genuine star performers.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Thanks for that CS69.
It's all very encouraging and indicates that BMcD has instilled character and discipline into this average collection, making the sum of the whole greater than the sum of the parts.
That's what a good team's about. The way they act after their first defeat will tell us whether they've really made the transition.
My glass is half full.