Andrea Radrizzani and the ghosts of Chairmen past

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Andrea Radrizzani and the ghosts of Chairmen past

Post by YorkshireSquare »

I get that Leeds United fans want to hold the club’s owners to account, I really do. It is absolutely right that we should do it following the gaggle of narcissistic shysters who have been in charge of the club over the last twenty years. Not since Bill Fotherby closed his West Stand office door behind him for the last time have we had a Chairman who cared more about Leeds United than themselves. But I do wonder why Andrea Radrizzani is taking so much flak from some fans given the last six occupants of that office, perhaps with one exception.

Our decline started with Peter Ridsdale, sure we experienced the highs of challenging at the top of English and European football, winning those Matchbook bonuses on Champions League success but Ridsdale gambled the club’s future on the revenues of back to back Campions league qualification would bring, and he lost. The squad was sold of piece by piece for a lot less than players were bought for to cover the losses but it wasn’t enough. By the time he left the club in March 2003 the club was £103m in debt, a debt the club would not recover from for a long time. With the squad sold and no money left to replace them relegation was inevitable.

Professor John McKenzie a long-time fan and investor was made Chairman, part of the old regime he was guilty by association. He quickly made drastic cost savings including redundancies whilst lining his own pockets with £380,000 made up of salaries and ‘consultancy fees’, he stepped down before coming under fire from the shareholders at the 2003 AGM. Trevor Birch was next at the helm, there was little he could do but fight fires, which he did to his credit. He staved off administration whilst keeping player sales to the minimum before finding a new buyer for the club. He is the only one to come away with any credit perhaps.

Next up was the ‘Yorkshire Consortium’ of Gerald Krasner and co. It’s a brave undertaking, buying a football club with £100 million worth of debts when you don’t have a pot to p**s in but that’s what they did. Perhaps they deserve more credit than they get for keeping the club alive and reducing debts to a ‘manageable’ £25m but I will never forgive them for the way they funded the purchase of the club. A £15m loan from Jack Petchey, which the board were personally liable for, was used. The sale of Elland Road to their business associates was needed to pay off the outstanding balance and clear their personal liabilities. This came on top of the sale of Thorp Arch training complex.

Then came Ken bates, what to say that has not already been said? The man who claimed to have ‘Saved the club’ called the supporters ‘morons’, divided the fan base, presided over administration and saw us relegated to League One. There is little doubt Bates skimmed money off the top for him and his investors and wasted much of the club’s revenues on white elephant building projects, court cases and failing radio stations. Radio stations which would be used to harassment former directors. Eight years of stagnation which saw protests and demonstrations. When we did have an opportunity to push on under Grayson the squad was sold from under him; Gradel, Howson and Snodgrass all gone, there was little chance of ever seeing that money being reinvested.

Kens final parting gift was to sell the club to gfh, the Islamic investment bank that knew f**k all about football. Interested in making a quick buck only debts actually rose during their stewardship, £17m by the time they sold the club to Massimo Cellino. A liability still held by the club in the form of a debenture when Radrizzani’s Eleonora Sports finally took 100% control of the club. The rumours that their transfer targets were based on Football Manager and asking fans on Twitter were sadly and comedically true and they showed themselves to be a lovely bunch of people when they had one of their former colleagues arrested and locked up in a Dubai prison for two years.

It’s amazing to think that the next owner, Massimo Cellino, was possibly not even the worst we had had in recent years. Not the worst but definitely the craziest, a madman who made Leeds a laughing stock. Being chased around Elland Road by fans after sacking Brian McDermott, appointing a manager from non-league and inviting Mini-Me to games may have been some of the more amusing stories from his reign but the less amusing side was that he ripped the heart out of the club. Dogged by court cases from the day he arrived he was never fit to run the club.

Under Cellino’s tenure wages were not paid, long-term, respected employees sacked, facilities at Thorp Arch closed, players were forced to bring in their own lunch and the Academy run down. The squad was filled with second rate players from second rate Italian clubs coached by second rate coaches, all who were being spied on by a former furniture salesman from Miami. A former club employee once described Cellino as ‘The most disrespectful man I have ever come across’ and that was proved true. He did not respect the fans or the club, as Bates and Ridsdale before him he cared only for himself.

Of course, Andrea Radrizzani has not been perfect, the trip to Myanmar and the proposed new club bade obvious errors of judgement but so far he has been a good custodian of the club. He has paid off Cellino and gfh and bought back the ground. Yes, the ground is owned by the holding company rather than the club but I don’t see an issue with that, it’s pretty common practice these days, just ask Mel Morris. Radrizzani has constructed a good team around him in terms of off the field management, scouting and coaching. Improvements have been made to the ground and facilities at Thorp Arch recommissioned. Player have been sold but money has been reinvested in the team.

Radrizzani may not be one of the richest owners in the Football League but with a personal fortune of around £450m he is 15th in the list. He has already put significant money into the club, whether his or other investors, but he is a businessman and he has to balance the investment with the potential rewards. Getting that balance wrong is what got us into this situation in the first place. Whilst the transfer policy of having to sell to buy may be frustrating the club is in the best situation both financially and on the pitch than it has been for a long time.

It is right for us as fans to question the custodians of our club and hold them to account but before we start clamouring for Radrizzani to leave and for us to be turned into PSGs feeder club let’s just remind ourselves of the ghosts of Chairmen past.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Andrea Radrizzani and the ghosts of Chairmen past

Post by Chilli D »

A good read YS if more than a little depressing.
What an awful 15 years we have had in terms of the running of the club.
I just hope Radrizzani shows the required ambition in the transfer market this summer.
Three quality signings and the league is there for the taking. He could go down in history as the chairman who took us back to the Premier league.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

He is taking a lot off flack on social media currently, of course that will happen given the sale of Clarke, but I think it's important to remember where we have come from.

I have confidence the money will be reinvested, it was last summer, and that hasn't always been the case i the past. It's also important to gamble and overstretch.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I criticise him because he's made so many errors that will keep costing us. Increased the wage bill massively without improving the team. Handed out 4 year contracts to squad players, why? Doesn't tie our young talent down though to the same length. Wastes money loaning expensive youth from the PL who are no better than our own. Constantly whinges in the press. Tried to do it on the cheap when we were top and let a key player leave without replacing. Continues to allow Orta to waste money rather than reviewing his position given his dreadful record.

All we had to do in summer 2017 was keep Wood, add creativity (Klich, Saiz, Alioski) and get a CB, but no we brought in all these players we didn't need and now can't shift, which in turn means we had to sell Vieira and Clarke to cover the loss.

That's before even mentioning Myanmar or the badge.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

radebe88 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:56 am 1. He's got us close to being back in the premier league.
2. He gave us the best manager weve had since relegation from PL
3. He's galvanised the city and made people believe again.

Have a bit more positivity SG90.
1. No that was Bielsa. Radz gambled to do it on the cheap and failed.
2. Yes, but after appointing the woeful Heckaday and wasting a £1m on him. Fans demanded a top manager, he was left with no option.
3. No that was Bielsa.

I would be positive, but it will the same old excuses next summer when we sell another young talent to cover the losses we made on Orta's poor loans and ridiculous wages on squad players. The players we're after hardly fill me with confidence.

Just had enough.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cracking post Shields ...Agree wholeheartedly.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I'd say say Radz has done a good job. He has made mistakes but at least he's not a self-absorbed, self-serving spiv who thinks he's above the rules, regulations and even the most basic standards of ethical behaviour.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I much more happier with the hierarchy now than anytime since relegation from the Premier League, he's made mistakes but he's new to the job and lets face it, what chairman hasn't, Moyes at scum for one. Fact is the Costs of running a football is immense, gate receipts, merchandise and the FL mpney doesn't cover it, so until we get promoted we are always going to have to sell, Chairmen with a bottomless pot are few and far between.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:02 am 1. No that was Bielsa. Radz gambled to do it on the cheap and failed.
2. Yes, but after appointing the woeful Heckaday and wasting a £1m on him. Fans demanded a top manager, he was left with no option.
3. No that was Bielsa.

But Radz employed Bielsa, you can't knock him for Heckaday yet not give him any praise for employing Biesla
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

gessa wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:10 am But Radz employed Bielsa, you can't knock him for Heckaday yet not give him any praise for employing Biesla
One good decision, after wasting more money, but not backing him properly to get us up.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The sad thing is if we were well run we wouldn't have to sell our young talents on the cheap every year. We waste so much money on poor signings who are no better than our own youth products, why don't we believe in them instead? The sad thing is, if Shack or Clarke were on loan from Man City, we'd think they were the second coming, but as they're our own youth, they're "not ready". A club like Leeds shouldn't need to rely on a sugar daddy. We turnover £45m in the Championship and have better commercial income than the majority of PL clubs. It's wasting money on wages and poor recruitment that sets us back.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't count Heck as a mistake.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:00 pm I don't count Heck as a mistake.
I would say both Christiansen & Hecky were poor managerial recruitment, neither had managed clubs at top level prior to their appointment at Leeds.

Bielsa is a different class altogether
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Christainsen was a really bad error, Rads unfortunately bought into his brand of snake oil salesmanship. Heck could have been the best manager in the championship and still wouldn't have gotten anything out of a squad devoid of fitness, confidence and any idea of how to play as a football team.

Klich summed up TC best when he said "He spends more time trying to look good than he does on the training ground" ..that cost Klich his place in TC's team and he was shipped out before Heck had a chance to use our best midfielder...It is incredibly difficult to work in those conditions as a manager and he was starting to get a grip on all the issues when the season ended.

I credit him with at least getting our squad fitter and allowing MB a bit of a jump start beginning of 19/20

Now before the idiots jump on their high horse I don't think for a minute Heck would have been a good manager for Leeds, but I think he'd have had us consistently top half year in year out if that's whet we needed. Wish him well in Scotland, done quite well so far away from the pressure of managing LUFC
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:54 am The sad thing is if we were well run we wouldn't have to sell our young talents on the cheap every year. We waste so much money on poor signings who are no better than our own youth products, why don't we believe in them instead? The sad thing is, if Shack or Clarke were on loan from Man City, we'd think they were the second coming, but as they're our own youth, they're "not ready". A club like Leeds shouldn't need to rely on a sugar daddy. We turnover £45m in the Championship and have better commercial income than the majority of PL clubs. It's wasting money on wages and poor recruitment that sets us back.
You simply contradict yourself there as it is Bielsa who decides whether Clarke, Sheckleton or any of our youth are ready and again it is Bielsa who decides whether he wants Harrison on loan. I am sure Radrizanni would rather have 11 of our youngsters in the team on small wages rather than the added cost of loaning players in or signing players that are good enough for the first team and have wages that go with it.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:21 pm You simply contradict yourself there as it is Bielsa who decides whether Clarke, Sheckleton or any of our youth are ready and again it is Bielsa who decides whether he wants Harrison on loan. I am sure Radrizanni would rather have 11 of our youngsters in the team on small wages rather than the added cost of loaning players in or signing players that are good enough for the first team and have wages that go with it.
Yet he was more than happy giving Huffer, Edmondson, Davis and Stevens game time rather than complaining and saying we need more players?

It was Radz who signed the loans btw, not Bielsa. He claimed he could access the same level of loans as Wolves, yet more PR drivel.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Great post Adam, putting it all into perspective, Radz has done great overall and has made mistakes and will make more, I think he’s taken the club as far as he can, competitive at the top end of the championship and I think he deserves one more crack at promotion to get a return on his investment. I just don’t see why he doesn’t take message boards a bit more seriously, there is some amazing hindsight to be found
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:43 pm Yet he was more than happy giving Huffer, Edmondson, Davis and Stevens game time rather than complaining and saying we need more players?

It was Radz who signed the loans btw, not Bielsa. He claimed he could access the same level of loans as Wolves, yet more PR drivel.
Bielsa always insisted upon a small squad supplemented by U23s. As such like with the case of Huffer it was the case that both Blackman and BPF were injured at the same time. Bielsa didn't want us to waste money on a 3rd choice keeper who wouldn't have played. Same with Edmonson and Davis they only got gametime due to injuries that kept out the first and second choice players in those positions. Bielsa didn't want to clutter the squad with players who would be 3rd choice he would rather play players out of position or play an U23.

I think there may have been an element of Orta recommending the loan players more so than Bielsa last year with Bielsa being new to the league and probably not having had much of a look at the loan players - that said Bielsa was sad to see Baker leave so he was obviously happy enough to keep Baker, Blackman wasn't selected due to initial fitness concerns but was about to make his debut when he broke his leg. Obviously Brown wasn't a success but if he hadn't had the initial setback from his injury he may have got to full fitness early and been able to feature and Harrision was selected repeatedly by Bielsa who seems to want him back. As such whilst you may sl&g AR off for the loans (and everything else) Bielsa seemed happy with them.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Aside from my views on Radz and my imo belief he is a short term low risk sort of fella, i think he likes the publicity to much.

He likes an ego massage in the press and to be talked about, good or bad.

The Wolves rant for example and how he "would do it if it was legal", he actually said that, you cant say things like that and not expect to be criticised.

He likes to play the Big I am, all these people he knows and what he could do.

Just like when he said fairly recently something like "when we get promoted i will play for now i am just watching".

What does that even mean? Lots of vague comments implying he can do this and that but never actually does it.

Or even just after the season started and we were winning and he had to go out and say basically Bielsa wasnt his first choice, he wanted Ranieri and Roberto Martinez and he would have given Conte £20mil a year.

Absolute nonsense and totally unnecessary.

If he has £20mil to give Conte why not give Bielsa the £15mil you saved to spend on players?

Things like that annoy me about Radz, i dont doubt he has contacts like most business people but in football terms he is a relatively small fish and i think that hurts his ego and thats why he has to say these outlandish things.

If you go around making claims like Radz has then of course people will get annoyed when you dont deliver.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's Italian, it's in their nature ...but I actually think he's very restrained compared to Cellino Bates and even Ridsdale..Stop trying to fault Rids anyway you possibly can. Every argument against is very tenuous at best and downright wrong at worst.

He is inexperienced I'll give you that, feel free to use that stick