The "January" Transfer Window 20/21 season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season

Post by gessa »

I believe we are using the wording on the contract, to get out of the Augustin transfer." We will sign him if we're in the premier by the end of the loan" which came to an end the 30th June, which we weren't.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:53 pm I believe we are using the wording on the contract, to get out of the Augustin transfer." We will sign him if we're in the premier by the end of the loan" which came to an end the 30th June, which we weren't.
It would be awesome if we could slither out of this deal.
gessa

Post by gessa »

White Riot wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:04 pm It would be awesome if we could slither out of this deal.

Hopefully, doubt he wants to come back,which could help.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:06 pm Hopefully, doubt he wants to come back,which could help.
He's probably been unlucky with injuries, but tbh he's screwed up an amazing opportunity to prove himself at the top level.

I also think if White has real ambition he'll push to come back to us. If he goes to Liverpool he must have real confidence that he'll get game time, and tbh I think he's good enough to go there and succeed.

Still hope White will come to us, but only for a sensible price, which is probably not gonna happen now.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Liverpool would loan White to us.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:17 pm TBH I doubt that would worry MB but I have

Phillips
Shackleton
Forshaw
Ayling
Bamford
Roberts
Poveda
Cooper

The rule seems to say they must have played for an English club/s for 3 years before 21. It doesn't say they have to be 21
I'm sure I read somewhere players u21 didn't count, so it would exclude Shackleton and Poveda.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 pm Liverpool would loan White to us.
This would be a much more sensible scenario than us spending £35m+ on signing him

I’m sure White would rather take the increased wages at Liverpool and spend another season on loan with Leeds than sit on Brighton’s bench watching Potterball
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:53 pm I believe we are using the wording on the contract, to get out of the Augustin transfer." We will sign him if we're in the premier by the end of the loan" which came to an end the 30th June, which we weren't.
Sice he left, and is coming back, wouldn't he have to pass a medical?
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 pm Liverpool would loan White to us.
Did that come from a good source? Because I really don't see it. They just lost Lovren, which mains they need to had some depth at DC.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Potentially quite telling that JKA’s Twitter profile makes no mention of RB Leipzig, only LUFC:

https://twitter.com/33_augustin

Seems that he still sees himself as an LUFC player...
gessa

Post by gessa »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:33 pm Sice he left, and is coming back, wouldn't he have to pass a medical?

Really not sure, I'd imagine it all depends how the contracts work.
If we had guaranteed to buy him if we went up and he got injured playing for us, I still think that we would have to sign him. I think the 30th of June thing is what they are trying to use to get out of it.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:35 pm Did that come from a good source? Because I really don't see it. They just lost Lovren, which mains they need to had some depth at DC.
When big clubs sign these kind of players, they always loan them out to get PL experience. Who else would they loan him to?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:44 pm Really not sure, I'd imagine it all depends how the contracts work.
If we had guaranteed to buy him if we went up and he got injured playing for us, I still think that we would have to sign him. I think the 30th of June thing is what they are trying to use to get out of it.
They will use the Harrison deal as part of the argument I'd imagine.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Regardless of how the JKA situation plays out (and i really think we will lose out in the end but i imagine the club hope to drag it out for a year or two like the Sunderland one did in which case if still a Prem team the cost wont be that bad).

It doesnt make us look good, we all know what the deal was, using the Covid 19 situation as a get out isnt something i like tbh, a global pandemic as a legal technicality.

We agreed to buy JKA if promoted, we signed the wrong player (which is our fault) we arent the wronged party in this situation.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

Cjay wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:16 pm Regardless of how the JKA situation plays out (and i really think we will lose out in the end but i imagine the club hope to drag it out for a year or two like the Sunderland one did in which case if still a Prem team the cost wont be that bad).

It doesnt make us look good, we all know what the deal was, using the Covid 19 situation as a get out isnt something i like tbh, a global pandemic as a legal technicality.

We agreed to buy JKA if promoted, we signed the wrong player (which is our fault) we arent the wronged party in this situation.
This is interesting. My view is that if we don’t want JKA, and legally we find we don’t have to buy him, whatever the reason, we shouldn’t buy him. Anything else is a failure on the part of management to do what is in the best interests of Leeds United. I also don’t think it morally wrong to take this stance, because both signatories to the contract accepted the specified date. And that is absolutely crucial.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Denman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:00 pm This is interesting. My view is that if we don’t want JKA, and legally we find we don’t have to buy him, whatever the reason, we shouldn’t buy him. Anything else is a failure on the part of management to do what is in the best interests of Leeds United. I also don’t think it morally wrong to take this stance, because both signatories to the contract accepted the specified date. And that is absolutely crucial.
Each to there own mate.

I dont like us trying to wriggle out of it by using the Covid 19 delay as an excuse.

I also dont fancy our chances against the financial might of Red Bull, they will have thousands of legal minds all over the world to call on and extremely deep pockets.

Imo the best thing we can do is come to some sort of financial compensation, maybe offer to pay them the remainder of his contract? Wont be cheap but much less then €21mil.

If we lose this we are probably looking at £30mil plus, Leipzig will go for the throat, they will want the transfer fee and probably wages paid for to and legal costs.

Just rather we came to a compromise over a court battle.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

I think there may be good opportunities to sign quality from the teams that miss out on promotion through the playoffs. If Brentford were to miss out I’d love to see us going after Benrahma. He’s a more advanced version of Saiz, whom we never replaced, and perfect cover for Pablo. There’s no doubt he’d be expensive and there would be a queue for him so it is a long shot.

If Fulham don’t make it up, (but I think they will) then they will have to offload players and there are a number of options there as well.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Being linked with Benfica's Florentino now. I can't see it tbh, £30m on a DM? No chance.
https://m.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/t ... ds-1413367
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 am Being linked with Benfica's Florentino now. I can't see it tbh, £30m on a DM? No chance.
https://m.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/t ... ds-1413367
This seems a strange one. The only realistic reason for signing a DM would be as a contingency for Phillips leaving. Since Phillips wouldn’t go for much more than £30m anyway, selling him wouldn’t make any sense if his replacement would cost the same.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

That is shameful to use that type of reasoning.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa