Premier League clubs to consult players on 30% wage cut as resumption delayed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Premier League clubs to consult players on 30% wage cut as resumption delayed

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 04.52.22.png
Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 04.52.22.png (259.47 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

Premier League clubs will ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect jobs as it was announced the season will not resume until "it is safe and appropriate to do so"

All clubs have agreed to put the proposed "combination of conditional reductions and deferrals" to players.

The Premier League will advance £125m to the EFL and National League, and give £20m towards the NHS."It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May - and that the 2019-20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so," a Premier League statement said.

"Any return to play will only be with the full support of government and when medical guidance allows."

Players had faced scrutiny, notably from health secretary Matt Hancock, to take a cut in wages and "play their part" in offering support during the coronavirus pandemic.

Some clubs had furloughed non-playing staff as a result of the shutdown of the sport.

Before the Premier League statement was released, club captains - led by Liverpool skipper Jordan Henderson - held discussions over the creation of a charitable fund which could benefit the NHS.

The Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) has previously written to its members urging them not to agree any reduction or deferral in wages until they have spoken to the union.

After a meeting of clubs on Friday, the Premier League proposed a cut in wages in order to "protect employment throughout the professional game".

"This guidance will be kept under constant review as circumstances change," the Premier League said. "The league will be in regular contact with the PFA and the union will join a meeting which will be held tomorrow (Saturday) between the league, players and club representatives."

Crystal Palace winger Andros Townsend had spoken of his frustration with Hancock "deflecting blame on to footballers", stating players were an "easy target" and often supported charities.

The Premier League said it was aware of "severe difficulties" throughout the football pyramid and with clubs unable to play fixtures, moved to help "immediately deal with the impact of falling cash flow" at EFL and National League clubs.

Julian Knight, chair of the government's Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, welcomed the financial help for smaller clubs but said as the wage cut had not yet been agreed by players, the situation was "not much further along".

Knight had previously said clubs that furlough non-playing staff without imposing cuts on player wages should be subjected to a windfall tax if they do not change their approach by Tuesday.

Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said: "It is absolutely right that a reduction of players' wages is on the table when there are lower-paid staff at some clubs being furloughed.

"The football authorities must all be aware of the strength of public feeling on this and I expect them to show leadership on the matter.

"It is important that the Premier League helps the national effort in response to the coronavirus pandemic and I will continue to work closely with the football authorities."

The league's statement also expressed "huge appreciation for the heroic efforts of NHS staff and all other key workers who are carrying out critical jobs in such difficult circumstances" with £20m immediately committed "to support the NHS, communities, families and vulnerable groups during the Covid-19 pandemic".
1964white

Re: Premier League clubs to consult players on 30% wage cut as resumption delayed

Post by 1964white »

Premiership footballers shouldn't need to be asked to be take a salary cut.

Lets face it their wages are obscene!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Premier League clubs to consult players on 30% wage cut as resumption delayed

Post by HarryofOz »

Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
hector

Post by hector »

There was big praise on local radio down here for Eddie Howe giving a percentage of his wage to his club for wages...

Not a word about Marcello giving ALL of his.....

No one is mentioning that Leeds were one of the first clubs to take a voluntary wage cut.....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

hector wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:33 am There was big praise on local radio down here for Eddie Howe giving a percentage of his wage to his club for wages...

Not a word about Marcello giving ALL of his.....

No one is mentioning that Leeds were one of the first clubs to take a voluntary wage cut.....
The Guardian has had a number of complimentary articles about Leeds, including this one which is about the club's reaction to Coronavirus.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
hector

Post by hector »

Cheers for that H... I don't read newspapers in any format, so missed that...
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

hector wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:10 am Cheers for that H... I don't read newspapers in any format, so missed that...
You're welcome H
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds have been at the forefront of salary cuts & helping the local community

All down to Marcelo who expects high standards from his players

I love our current players, couldn't say that pre-Bielsa
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:40 am Leeds have been at the forefront of salary cuts & helping the local community

Too right. Bielsa has set the players on the path of being better people.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

HarryofOz wrote: ↑Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:40 am

Too right. Bielsa has set the players on the path of being better people.
Good to hear that some newspapers and news outlets have found and appreciate the truth about Leeds.

We'll have to be careful, people may start liking Leeds United and we're not used to it.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Liverpool in the last 2 released accounting periods have made a profit of £170million near enough.

Liverpool have today announced some of the non playing staff will be placed on the Furlough scheme.

Heavily criticised by Jamie Carragher and Stan Collymore.

How the hell can a club that has made so much profit justify that?

Norwich got promoted, spent peanuts and have done similar.

Bournemouth to and Spurs.

No Premier league club should use the scheme its totally wrong.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Now it seems that the refusal by the Premier League players to take pay cuts is for the benefit if the country

We don't want to take pay cuts because that'll mean paying less tax
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Cjay wrote:Liverpool in the last 2 released accounting periods have made a profit of £170million near enough.

Liverpool have today announced some of the non playing staff will be placed on the Furlough scheme.

Heavily criticised by Jamie Carragher and Stan Collymore.

How the hell can a club that has made so much profit justify that?

Norwich got promoted, spent peanuts and have done similar.

Bournemouth to and Spurs.

No Premier league club should use the scheme its totally wrong.
Greedy selfish bastards is all I can say. It's long been known that footballers are overpayed spoilt children and now they are totally justifying what most people think about them ! Good luck to all the lower league clubs who will be getting more desperate by the day but the top level clubs deserve nothing whatsoever in this crisis and I for one am very pleased that I contribute absolutely nothing towards their millions of profit and never will.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:40 am Leeds have been at the forefront of salary cuts & helping the local community

indeed 1964

I can honestly say that I am more proud of our current team than i have been any other team......and that includes the revie era and beating arsenal in that cup final! during which time i was a regular at both home and away games
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Liverpool have reversed their decision to place some non-playing staff on temporary leave and apologised to fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52191140