The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th Mar) - All matches to be played behind closed doors?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th Mar) - All matches to be played behind closed doors?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning, it's Thursday 12th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

All football matches to be played behind closed doors?

All football matches in England may have to be played behind closed doors as early as this weekend. The Times (so it must be true) have revealed that the government’s Cobra committee are meeting this morning to discuss triggering the move as soon as the number of UK cases reach 500. Currently there are 460 confirmed cases.

It is expected that the current season will not be postponed and instead matches will be moved behind closed doors. Season ticket holders and ticket holders will be able to stream the games live and watch them at home. Clubs will have the option to sell the stream to fans. Currently, under EFL rules, Leeds are only allowed to sell the streaming rights abroad. Pubs will not be allowed to show the games to discourage crowds meeting up to watch the games.

Whelan - Berardi needs to move on

Ex Leeds Utd forward, now Soccer pundit Noel Whelan has urged Berardi to seek pastures new at the end of the season when his current deal comes to an end. The 31 year old former Swiss International has filled in 11 times this term in various positions. His no nonsense tackling and steely determination has made his a fans favourite since his arrival six years ago. Whelan believes that Berardi deserves first team football, which he will not get if he stays at Elland Road.

It is really difficult because we will need a different class of player, no disrespect to Gaetano, but we will need something more. At the back end of your career, you want to play as much football as possible because your career is short and you do not want to spend it sitting on the bench. You want to contribute more often than one game every two months. If he is happy doing that then fine, but if it was me I would want to move on. Help Leeds get to the Premier League but then finish your career playing as much as you can.

Leeds set to snap up highly rated Schoolboy Ashley Akpan

Chelsea youngster Ashley Akpan is set to leave the club after not being awarded a Scholarship with the West London club. A number of Premiership and Championships are known to be monitoring the situation closely. Leeds are the favourites to sign the free agent having already set up a trial next week to bring the Polish Youth International to Elland Road. Akpan, who turns 16 next month is predominantly a defender also has the versability to play in midfield.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th Mar) Imminent announcement expected - All matches to be played behind closed d

Post by HarryofOz »

It's a shame but a sensible move to stop large gatherings.

Whelan should self-isolate from all forms of public comment.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th Mar) - All matches to be played behind closed doors?

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Suppose I cant help being selfish here.

Two games planned for next week. That is the second set of flights paid for after Flybe went south.
Re the Football.

The Govt can do it knowing that in the Prem the league is basically over, so most games are dead rubbers.

I had just thought that the advice should have been for the most vulnerable not attend large events... but that is probably simplistic.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th Mar) - All matches to be played behind closed doors?

Post by rrfierce »

Berardi has been a liability in the past but he's proved this season the he can do a job. Hasn't he got the best record in goals conceeded % than any other player ?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th Mar) Imminent announcement expected - All matches to be played behind closed d

Post by Sara »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:32 am Whelan should self-isolate from all forms of public comment.
Definitely. I'm sick of hearing what he thinks. Can we not report it at every opportunity as if it was 'news'?

I don't want anything to disrupt our season, and I am far from convinced of the necessity of closing stadiums because 460 people have got flu.

I see not one of the Forest squad has tested positive despite coming into contact with the 'deadly pandemic' via their owner.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Having to play behind closed doors will be such a shame for the players and fans who follow them everywhere .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 am I had just thought that the advice should have been for the most vulnerable not attend large events... but that is probably simplistic.
We'd have a healthier society if we took responsibility for ourselves and our communities, instead of being dictated to by national government.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

NBA suspends the season...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

and Tom Hanks has tested positive ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Worried about what impact all this may have on our promotion prospects, but I don't think the biggest threat to our aspirations is closing the stadiums to fans. I have to wonder how long it will be before a member of the first team squad is confirmed as infected, and as a result, the whole team has to go into isolation.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

HarryofOz wrote:It's a shame but a sensible move to stop large gatherings.

Whelan should self-isolate from all forms of public comment.
and also keep a social distance from social media.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

Of course, the season can be extended until 25th May without penalty by the simple expedient of cancelling the play-offs...

Just promote the top 3

Desperate times and all that...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 am and also keep a social distance from social media.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
:tup:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Worse case scenario if a few players accross the league end up getting it then expect the season to be postponed - if we get to a point where it's no longer possible to restart expect the FA and EFL to cancel the leagues with no promotion or relegation - any which way they do it they will be swamped with legal challenges you would imagine.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Sounds like we'll have some easy to get hold of streams for the next few weeks. Still, can't say I won't be disappointed at not seeing Keit Andrews's sour bollock face after the game that takes us up.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Could you imagine that Ayling goal in an empty stadium?
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

faaip wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:28 am Could you imagine that Ayling goal in an empty stadium?
Yes.

A thing of beauty still, but quieter...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

DavidH wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 am Worried about what impact all this may have on our promotion prospects, but I don't think the biggest threat to our aspirations is closing the stadiums to fans. I have to wonder how long it will be before a member of the first team squad is confirmed as infected, and as a result, the whole team has to go into isolation.
i agree.

when teams start going into self isolation, even on completion will be difficult to complete season as other teams go into self isolation.

what would happen if season cannot be completed, even behind closed doors?
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SaraM wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:51 am Definitely. I'm sick of hearing what he thinks. Can we not report it at every opportunity as if it was 'news'?

I don't want anything to disrupt our season, and I am far from convinced of the necessity of closing stadiums because 460 people have got flu.

I see not one of the Forest squad has tested positive despite coming into contact with the 'deadly pandemic' via their owner.
Really? What do you think will happen if these measures aren't taken...it will just simply disappear? We've seen in Italy how that's just not going to happen.

The key here is to be pro-active rather than reactionary - and I can't see any problem with making some football games (which are irrelevant in the grand scheme of life/death health/sickness) behind closed doors to help fight this.
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

In addition, if the Forest players were asymptomatic (which, by definition, they will have been) they will test negative. The test is positive only a couple of days after the infection develops, not during the incubation phase...