Is This Our Best XI ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Is This Our Best XI ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:20 pm

faaip wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:07 pm
The team is only poor if we lose say Kalvin because the rest of it rotates till we have 3 or 4 out of position. Nothing to do with the line up itself.
Totally agree on that point, lose Kalvin & we'd be disjointed & in a quandary again :tup:

That's a problem for me we haven't got a decent replacement for Ayling & Dallas at full-back.

Kalvin is totally irreplaceable.

Same with Hernandez, even when he plays below standard, he's always capable of producing something. special.

Klich works his socks off & sees a pass.

And who is going to produce what Harrison gives us.

Right now I really can't see who can improve Bielsa's first XI

Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:25 pm

1964white wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Who gets upset Faaip?

Ok I put the question to you 'is Augustin fit enough to start yet' ?
I would start him.
He may not be at physical peak condition but it's a nonsense to think he can't do at least an hour. He's a proffesional footballer for Christ's sake.
Start him and see how he does and if (when) he tires or has a mare, bring Bamford on.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:25 pm

faaip wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:14 pm
Probably not, still a better option
Fair enough :tup:

Would you play Berardi at the back who in my mind is the only one who would put in a decent performance off the bench without disrupting the rhythm of our play too much?

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:29 pm

Chilli D wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:25 pm
I would start him.
He may not be at physical peak condition but it's a nonsense to think he can't do at least an hour. He's a proffesional footballer for Christ's sake.
Start him and see how he does and if (when) he tires or has a mare, bring Bamford on.
I have to say when Augustin came on he hardly got a touch for seven or eight minutes & we seem to lose our way in that short period, thankfully we recovered our composure & finished strongly.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:34 pm

1964white wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:25 pm
Fair enough :tup:

Would you play Berardi at the back who in my mind is the only one who would put in a decent performance off the bench without disrupting the rhythm of our play too much?
Difficult one, Berardi is a better defender for me than Pontus is/was. But White is undroppable and you play your captain if fit. I don't think there's any drop off if we need to use Gaetano
Free the Sara 1

paddy parrott
First Team
First Team

Post by paddy parrott » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:36 pm

I'd say it probably is the best XI .
Times you'd want to tinker with 2or 3, but not for the sake of it.
A fan said to me even 5/6 games ago that Kiko would be the only main change for him.
Didn't neccessarily agree/ disagree to be honest with him.... But ! We all have to grasp that Bielsa does only state that only when a better team player comes along that certain players could be replaced.
I will happily go along with the head coach and his selections.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:47 pm

1964white wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:51 pm
.................................Casilla...................................

Ayling..............White...........Cooper...........Dallas

................................Phillips....................................

Costa..........Klich..........Hernandez.........Harrison

................................Bamford..................................

We started with this line-up v Fulham on the 21st December, unfortunately Hernandez departed the pitch after his first touch due to an injury, then within minutes we endured a dodgy penalty against us.

It wasn't until a month later & four games later that Bielsa could pick this line-up, once again luck wasn't on our side as the referee missed Wells basketball antics, Dallas went off with a knock at half-time culminating in a red card for Phillips in the final minutes of the game;

Three games later Bielsa was in a position to pick his favoured line-up at Brentford with no hiccups this time hence our best away performance since our visit to the Hawthorns on New Years Day.

Same team for Bristol City & we all witnessed one of the most comprehensive 1-0 batterings of all-time, they scoreline certainly didn't reflect the performance.

So is this our best XI ?
I'd say yes.

KBA may move ahead of Bamford in time, but not yet.
We're going up like there is no gravity!

60sUnited
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by 60sUnited » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Yes 64, I think thats our best line up. Its a bit early to judge and I am probably in the minority, but with the glimpses I have had of Augustin I am not convinced he will turn out to be the hot shot converter of chances that everyone is expecting.....time will tell.

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Hard to say, 4-14-1 or 3-3-3-1 every week wont score enough goals in this league.

Casilla doesnt make my best 11.

Also Bamford will never work as a lone striker.

There is a massive hole in the middle of our midfeld that will be the death us.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:59 pm

paddy parrott wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:36 pm
I'd say it probably is the best XI .
Times you'd want to tinker with 2or 3, but not for the sake of it.
A fan said to me even 5/6 games ago that Kiko would be the only main change for him.
Didn't neccessarily agree/ disagree to be honest with him.... But ! We all have to grasp that Bielsa does only state that only when a better team player comes along that certain players could be replaced.
I will happily go along with the head coach and his selections.
Bielsa obviously does, he clearly recognised my own concerns during January

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 pm

faaip wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:05 pm
When I talk about Paddy rationally folks get upset so I'll not go there. Suffice to say it wouldn't be my strongest LUFC team right now
there's being rational and another being disrespectful.
throughout the season you've given bamford absolute dogs abuse . you even started a thread about him ... " BAMFORD CANNOT START ANOTHER GAME FOR LUFC " and " get him dropped to the 23s or better still sell him to anyone "!
i accept and respect you don't rate bamford but to sledge and abuse him on every single match day is wrong and boring.
i'm not a great fan of bamfords or kiko but i'm 100% behind them whilst mb continues to pick them.

agree 64, at this moment in time its probably our best starting 11 with the possibilities and potential to be better !
all a matter of opinion of course .

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Free the Sara 1

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:32 pm

leic white 63 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 pm
agree 64, at this moment in time its probably our best starting 11 with the possibilities and potential to be better !
all a matter of opinion of course .
If Bielsa is in a position to select this XI & we go on a productive run over the next few games we'll then know this group of players is his best side. Kalvin returning is a massive plus!

1964white

Post by 1964white » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:03 am

faaip wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:34 pm
Difficult one, Berardi is a better defender for me than Pontus is/was. But White is undroppable and you play your captain if fit. I don't think there's any drop off if we need to use Gaetano
Maybe the only position not to disrupt our rhythm of play although I do like two tall CB's at the back. Tbf Cooper has looked more comfortable in our last two games after a few dodgy moments prior to Bristol & Brentford

rrfierce
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rrfierce » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:26 am

Dallas looked lost the last time he played left back (QPR) but looked like a different player against BC.

At the moment i think it is our strongest 11.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am

rrfierce wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:26 am
Dallas looked lost the last time he played left back (QPR) but looked like a different player against BC.

At the moment i think it is our strongest 11.
Decent at Brentford too!

mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am

1964white wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:15 pm
I don't think Roberts improves the team

As for Augustin & Poveda they are not fit to start therefore both will only make sub appearances at best
Agree to disagree on Roberts then, I think we look dangerous whenever he's on the pitch...all five minutes of it.

That's why I said the potential is there to improve the given XI with what we already have given time, they're not ready now but I honestly believe Augustin is a naturally superior and more talented striker than Bamford and once he's up to speed he'll take Paddy's place. There's a reasonable if not good chance this could happen.

As for Poveda, Bielsa has said he's ready but the opportunity just hasn't arisen yet. Much as I love him, Pablo is no spring chicken and the chance of injury is high. If that happens I think Poveda will take his opportunity woth both hands and make himself hard to drop once he's in there.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 am

mothbanquet wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am
Agree to disagree on Roberts then, I think we look dangerous whenever he's on the pitch...all five minutes of it.

That's why I said the potential is there to improve the given XI with what we already have given time, they're not ready now but I honestly believe Augustin is a naturally superior and more talented striker than Bamford and once he's up to speed he'll take Paddy's place. There's a reasonable if not good chance this could happen.

As for Poveda, Bielsa has said he's ready but the opportunity just hasn't arisen yet. Much as I love him, Pablo is no spring chicken and the chance of injury is high. If that happens I think Poveda will take his opportunity woth both hands and make himself hard to drop once he's in there.
Roberts produces nowhere near the assists/goals Hernandez does. Amazing how Pablo at his age is more fitter than Tyler.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 am

mothbanquet wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am

Roberts produces nowhere near the assists/goals Hernandez does. Amazing how Pablo at his age is more fitter than Tyler.

mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:34 am

1964white wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 am
It is remarkable, and Pablo for sure deserves a place in the annals of Leeds United legends in my opinion. It's a bit unfair however to judge Roberts's ability and potential, much less compare him to Pablo, on goals and assists when his minutes have been so limited.

Would he be a match for Pablo if he actually got a consistent run of games together? It's hard to say, Roberts is still quite young after all, only 21, so there's huge scope for improvement and that's what Bielsa obviously sees in him. Please note that I didn't say he would be better in Pablo's position at this very moment, rather there's something special in him that keeps him close to the squad.

As for whether we'll see him stay fit long enough to realise that potential, well that's another matter entirely.

Advertisment