Bamford vs Firmino

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Bamford vs Firmino

Post by The Subhuman »

ahh ok...I can ignore this thread.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

No. I think Bamford brings a lot to our team, but he has missed so many chances. I get where your coming from, others are missing too and as a team on a hole we’ve been left wanting in front of goal, but the volume of chances he’s missed this year means he’s been poor.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Bamford couldn’t even VS a wet blanket
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Difference is Firmino is class!
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

firmino is a cf not a striker - he has Mane and Salah supplying the goals (plus has 5 more assists!) and is not missing guilt edged chances every game...

this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:46 pm firmino is a cf not a striker - he has Mane and Salah supplying the goals (plus has 5 more assists!) and is not missing guilt edged chances every game...

this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tis a joke of a thread Dan :lol:

Imagine watching Firmino every week :-D
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It is a very valid post. The rest of the team now has 1 goal to their name in 6 matches. That is appalling. Bamford has scored twice as many as the rest of the team during that period - his tally of 2 isn't great but others need to score.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I agree tbh.

Harrison, Klich, Pablo, Forshaw, Dallas etc all have missed plenty of chances and cost us tons of points.

If they were more prolific Paddy would be less of a scapegoat.

If Salah and Mane werent scoring as much people would ignore a lot of the good stuff Firmino does and just focus on the goals same as Paddy.

Paddy has been wasteful but his teammates put him under so much pressure by being just as bad.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:23 pm It is a very valid post. The rest of the team now has 1 goal to their name in 6 matches. That is appalling. Bamford has scored twice as many as the rest of the team during that period - his tally of 2 isn't great but others need to score.
I realised we didn't have an abundance of goals in us at the beginning of the season. We were far too reliant on scoring first & keeping clean sheet. Now we have become clueless at defending the lack of goals is more apparent.

We allowed Roofe to leave (who scored 14 goals) plus a potential goal-scoring CB.

Now we have a squad of players who can't score from corners/free-kicks/headers & even struggle to slot penalties away :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:32 pm I agree tbh.

Harrison, Klich, Pablo, Forshaw, Dallas etc all have missed plenty of chances and cost us tons of points.

If they were more prolific Paddy would be less of a scapegoat.

If Salah and Mane werent scoring as much people would ignore a lot of the good stuff Firmino does and just focus on the goals same as Paddy.

Paddy has been wasteful but his teammates put him under so much pressure by being just as bad.
Don't we practice shooting & heading a ball on target under pressure at Thorpe Arch or are we just intent on playing pretty little patterns on the edge of the box trying to walk the ball into the net?
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I think Radebe88's point in valid but the HUGE difference is Firmino is playing in a team of world class players, particularly the two either side of him and he is just one important cog in an extremely well oiled machine with goals coming from all positions, even the full backs.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Leeds must be one of the few teams where you don't want your best chances falling to your main striker
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Bally wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:11 am Leeds must be one of the few teams where you don't want your best chances falling to your main striker
Did I miss something? Do we have someone else in the team that is clinical with their chances? I'm sure if someone measure shots on target, goals per shots etc for the whole team nobody would be doing well.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:44 pm Don't we practice shooting & heading a ball on target under pressure at Thorpe Arch or are we just intent on playing pretty little patterns on the edge of the box trying to walk the ball into the net?
I would imagine in training we are probably a lot more clinical.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

I would imagine in training we are probably a lot more clinical.
Hence MB's famous hug fpr PB in that training video.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:56 pm I would imagine in training we are probably a lot more clinical.
Probably as they are under no pressure

There's no excuses for footballers at championship level missing the simplest chances on a regular basis as Leeds have done over the last two seasons

At the current alarming rate, will probably cost us promotion
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm Did I miss something?

No that's Bamford
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

radebe88 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:48 pm I mean if you think its a joke you perhaps don't understand my point.

Its not that Bamford is better or as good as Firmino. Its about his style of play and how it helps those around him. If Harrison and Costa were scoring goals I believe our fans would be applauding Bamford off the pitch instead of berating him on social media.
I don't think he does though. I've watched him carefully for the last 20 games. Watched the movement and positioning, the frequent inability to hold the ball up for others. Watch him tomorrow night, he seldom makes himself available for the cross or pass, usually allowing the defender to get between him and the ball meaning the pass isn't really on so we get a lot of pull backs to the edge where the AMF is usually not available or low crosses intended, imo, to elicit a corner. Costa and Harrison tend to break into the box and at that point the cross for a header would need a hell of a touch pass to acheive.

Bamford also lacks short area burst, the cleverness of a Roofe to lose a marker and the natural strikers instinct to know where the keeper is and therefore where to put the ball to score. There was a nice pass across the goal for Harrison who mis controlled unfortunately but tbh I don't recall a lot of Paddy setting up others for shooting chances. He's defendable one on one so he's not dragging away a couple of defenders even if he makes those runs.

He's probably a number 10 in a 442 but would need to learn how to bring others into the game...He's what I'd describe as an decent floor low ceiling footballer, who's probably playing about as well as he can right now
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"