Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by Cjay » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Daniel Podence arrived at Wolves on the 29th
Bruno Fernandez arrived at Manure on the 30th.
One starts and one on the bench in the Prem today.

JKA joined us 2 and 3 days earlier.

Sometimes you just trust a talented player to adapt and see how he does. :(

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by faaip » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:54 pm

SG90 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:33 pm
Beyond caring about these frauds anymore. And before anyone tells me I can't criticise Bielsa or Bamford, I can and I will. That arrogant prick shouldn't play for us again after covering his ears for scoring two tap ins that I could've scored, but he's still getting picked every week. JKA obviously needs to prove himself against u23 opposition before being given a chance. But hey we nearly got promoted two years in a row, so I'm sure Radz will give Bamford a pay rise and five year contract.
My self imposed ban from mentioning him disallows me from commenting.
Last edited by faaip on Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free the Sara 1

jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:55 pm

Very disappointing but again an unlucky goal against. We seemed up for this in the first 20;30 minutes with some nice quality cross field balls, and direct purposeful play but as the game grew so did our poor final third play. Habitually predictable. Sadly we had plenty of time to get a goal back but failed. More frightening was it was not a lack of team effort. We really need a few stand out players but we have such a cohesive team its seems almost impossible for a single player to make a difference.

I agree, why are our new players not featuring, I guess Bielsa needs to perform a lobotomy on them so they don't play with too much individuality when that come on. This whole learn the system business flatters us. 1) is not that complicated 2) They can just watch last seasons games on video.3) our present players are not that great.

A team needs new blood, if only not to wear out our 1st team players mentally and physically in the run up to the end of the season.

Apart from that....
Dallas and Klich are just too average. One pass and they are done.
When Alioski joined us he was an attacking winger, what has happened to him? He has had his game stymied IMHO.
Costa had one of his better games, beating player and getring to by line.
If we don't try another striker of course Bamford will be our top scorer.
Pablo had a stinker.
Tyler is confident and we need that and when he came on he was able to float some nice balls into dangerous areas.
Beilsa needs show some faith in his bench players.

Next week, same 11, same outcome. Just hope we dont have the same outcome as last season.

Also can our players smile sometimes, its a privedge to play for this club NOT a burden.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Maybe January was a time to fix that then?

OR DONT SELL JANSSON!!!!!!!! :flog: :flog: :flog: :flog: :flog:

rrfierce
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rrfierce » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:58 pm

What's worrying is that we could quite easily be in 6th if we lose the next 2. At least they are easy, forest and Brentford away ...

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:59 pm

jekyll and hyde .

chin chin !!

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:07 pm

We're definitely losing to Brentford. If we lose to Forest, autos are gone.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

rrfierce
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rrfierce » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:07 pm

Bielsa is his own worst enemy when it comes to the system. He's obviously got some sort of massive OCD and doesn't trust players unless they've had X number of minutes learning his system . It's all too predictable and he needs to let the players show their talents rather than just hit the possession numbers and statistics which mean nothing as opposing teams prove when they come away with the 3 points.

He's a good manager but not a successful one because he's too one dimensional and doesn't take risks

rrfierce
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rrfierce » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Having said that the players need to start taking some of these chances and because they're not individual errors are costing us points at the other end

WhiteRose
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by WhiteRose » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:12 pm

I thought we had turned a corner with the come back on Tuesday instead we have let wigan do a smash and grab job on us again. 3 points were essential today considering what's coming up in the next few weeks. Feb will make or break us and at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if we are even in the top 6 by the end if it.

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:22 pm

Cjay wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:57 pm
Maybe January was a time to fix that then?

OR DONT SELL JANSSON!!!!!!!! :flog: :flog: :flog: :flog: :flog:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. For two seasons we said needed that, but he arrogantly dismissed it. Now it's too late to do anything about it.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:36 pm

If it was up to me:
Meslier Ayling Berardi White Alioski Klich Shackleton Costa Poveda Harrison Augustin

What will happen:
Casilla Ayling Cooper White Alioski Dallas Klich Costa Pablo Harrison Bamford

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:43 pm

I'm a big fan of Berardi, to the extent I'll probably get called creepy again. I think he's as good a defender as White. He's certainly better on the ball than our captain imo. I prefer Alio off the bench, he's a poor defender for me but he's probably the best right winger in the squad
Free the Sara 1

White Riot
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by White Riot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:49 pm

This is just the same pattern as last year.

Why, well bacause we have exactly the same coach, players, tactics and weaknesses = nothing has been learned.

We cannot do the basics: can't defend set-pieces, can't maintain our composure in the final third, and are completely impotent from set-pieces, this gives a leg-up to any opposition, including poor sides like Millwall, Wign, QPR, etc.

As with the last four seasons, these are a bunch of bottlers who can't take the pressue and capitulate every time.

The wheels came off against Cardiff, and that was that folks.

Bielsa must take his share of the blame, we're losing games and he just sticks with the same eleven - we are 100% predcitable.

No way are we going up this season, I'll predict that we'll finish 9th or 10th.

What was the pitch from Orta to IP and JKA - come and watch us f£ck it up again :rant:

Mick Jones shoulder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Mick Jones shoulder » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:51 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:43 pm
I'm a big fan of Berardi, to the extent I'll probably get called creepy again. I think he's as good a defender as White. He's certainly better on the ball than our captain imo. I prefer Alio off the bench, he's a poor defender for me but he's probably the best right winger in the squad
I would agree with a lot of that we certainly aren't that far apart chap. We obviously disagree on some individuals but that's life. Alioski along with the majority is poor in general with his delivery.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 pm

The set piece defence thing is interesting. There's clearly an issue but I don't think it's we can't defend set pieces it's we're not defending set pieces ..Although today we got beat by an own goal that was indefensible really except by our keeper. I don't think we're man marking rather some sort of zonal thing which is not working atm.

It was a fluke goal but it should take more than one goal to beat us at home versus a bottom three side. The defence not the issue today.
Free the Sara 1

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:04 pm

So frustrating. Put a striker who backs himself and isn’t out to silence his critics and we win. Add Phillips and Augustin to this team and we will be much much stronger
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:22 am

Was out yesterday and only got home for the second half.

So frustrating, all that attacking with no goals thanks to two or three goal-line clearances and some good defending by Wigan, but also due to some poor final ball passing.

And then there was there goal, against the run of play and off a deflection that 99 times out of 100 wouldn't have ended anywhere near the goal never mind somehow looping in. Not sure how Kiko missed the ball altogether. He did the right thing in trying to tip it over as he was in no position (not due to any fault of his, but due to the freaky circumstances) to punch it clear, but for some reason made no contact with it.
We're going up like there is no gravity!

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:38 am

Why didnt Bielsa put our new man Ian on the pitch from the bench to see what he could do. I would still like to hear the comments and explanations from our members who 'totally understand' the Bielsa way. Why on earth, when it's so obvious that we need 'something different , our new guy on the bench isn't given a chance......also, why oh why, isn't our new striker on the bench.....totally baffled and to be honest not best chuffed.

Velotrax
First Team
First Team

Post by Velotrax » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:57 am

Ok an other bad day at the office, as ever we dominated everything but scoring, so being pragmatic, we need someone to score the goals, we create more chances than everyone, but we simply can't convert them, so look at the guys trying to convert them.... busy doing other duties? not good enough? maybe roles need to change or personnel, but we are 2nd in the league, after what can only be describes as a relegation run.....something has to change, if it doesn't it's 2019 again, We have invested in 3 new players, albeit only 2 fist team options, so wtf not include them or even play them?
I'm not a manager etc, but to me there seams to be an obvious answer? Bamford is a great work horse but he's no marksman, either replace him or introduce an out and out stricker, and drop Ali, who I feel is one of our least effective player in the system we are playing

Advertisment