Bamford cannot start another game for LUFC

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Re: Bamford cannot start another game for LUFC

Post by BGwhite » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Bielsa wants too many boxes ticked by every player. Impossible. Bamford isn't a striker who can also tick the other boxes . Think it's been mentioned before that Bielsa wants too much of him which is distracting from his main job - not that he's great at that but it certainly won't help. Bielsa must accept some of the blame here .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:27 pm

BGwhite wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:45 pm
Bielsa wants too many boxes ticked by every player. Impossible. Bamford isn't a striker who can also tick the other boxes . Think it's been mentioned before that Bielsa wants too much of him which is distracting from his main job - not that he's great at that but it certainly won't help. Bielsa must accept some of the blame here .

If only he had a source of players that had been playing in a similar system for a couple of years ....
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious...

....but I am...

....so that's how it comes out

Mick Jones shoulder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Mick Jones shoulder » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:42 pm

If Bamford plays in the next game no matter how integral to Bielsa's plan he is, you have to question his man management.
On the evidence of not only yesterday but a few weeks he is shot, ruined be surprised if he ever recovers from the mental torture he must be suffering from being down write awful. Personally I think players don't have to be as hungry as in years gone by due to the financial security they all have. Look at Forshaw, Roberts, Douglas and Shacks, years ago injections and off you go son (obviously not for serious stuff) we need you performing not anymore. Some are stealing a wage from the club!

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 am

A message from Ian Wright to Leeds fans

As a result, concern is emerging about the club's push for promotion, especially considering the heartbreak suffered last season, but Wright has urged the supporters to stand by the team.

"As difficult as it is, I was watching the game the other day, the play up to the point of finishing is great and yes, it's blatantly obvious they do need a striker, at the same time, this is the time for Leeds fans, they've got to be more supportive of those guys," he told BBC Radio 5Live.

"Because they're feeling it, they're feeling it from you as well and they've got to start channelling some positivity to those guys, otherwise it's going to happen. They're not positive and they need to stop being so toxic towards them."

I like Leeds, I've always liked Leeds, since I was a kid. My brother used to force me to have to like Liverpool when I was younger but I loved Leeds, I loved Allan Clarke, and that's why I used to wear number eight. I always liked Leeds."

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:51 am

Wright calling for Bamford to be replaced too.

Nice one.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:11 am

Irish Ian wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:51 am
Wright calling for Bamford to be replaced too.

Nice one.
He did not say replaced... he said they need a striker.
During the 7 win run we had, Bamford was a striker... and we sang his praises then.
He just needs to return to form, but he is certainly not receiving any encouragement
from the supporters to return to the form that put us 11 points in the lead.
As Wright says the only feedback the fans give him is toxic.

I despair... Bielsa is called stubborn when he won't play Nketiah, but when he does
the results are worse than when he plays Bamford.

We fans have a lot to answer for, given our attitudes towards our own players.
All I want to see is a glimmer of hope in the darkness, since I see so many people
on here being consumed by it.

Frosty442
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Frosty442 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 am

Bamford has been crap for 2yrs

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:10 am

I didn’t sing his praises Rab.

When he scored I cheered out of relief😳

And because I believe he isn’t good enough for our push for promotion doesn’t mean I not behind the team.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

paddy parrott
First Team
First Team

Post by paddy parrott » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:44 am

And what Mr. Wright did also like was sticking the ball in our net. To many times , to be fair he was pretty good at that & would know what e's on about.

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:26 pm

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Then with a little bit of luck you'll get promoted

This Christmas period has thrown up one fact, and that is nobody is running away with this league.
Teams have a flash of form, then they have a slump. The form seems to be following a sinusoidal curve.
Peaks then troughs. During the peaks we are the best team in the world and unbeatable, and during
the troughs the players who have given us so much pleasure during the peaks suddenly become a
pile of rejects and losers.

Our moods swing like a pendulum from one extreme to the other, from bliss to agony, and we never take
any consolation from the fact that the emotions we feel are being felt also by the fans of other teams as well.
WBA fans are shaking hands with Leeds fans and saying pleased to meet you.

There is an abundance of research out there on the psychology of victory, winning, leadership and all things
laden with positivity. ... It is good to have a positive attitude. Success breeds success. Two frogs fall into a vat
of milk... one is negative and gives up sinks to the bottom and drowns, the other is positive , keeps on swimming
churns the cream to butter, gets a solid footing and hops out. This year the teams that will get promoted
will be the ones that manage to keep their heads.

The psychology of losing and defeat is much less talked about. Faced with failure we tend to look both ways.
From wherever we are on the sinusoidal curve, our view has to be upwards to see opportunities to learn, to improve,
and maybe win next time. But if we look down into the troughs where there are suspensions, injuries and banns the
tendency is to retreat inside our shells, and comfort ourselves with memories of the good old days, and in this
way try to avoid feeling of shame and humiliation. You hear so many people say they don't want to go to work
because all they will hear is that Leeds are falling apart again.

The fear of failure is demonic. I have watched "All Leeds TV" and to a man all of the presenters said that before
Bamford took the penalty kick they knew he was going to fail. I have to ask myself how did they know?
Was it the angle of his head, was it his hands on hips, was it his runup, was it the foot he took the shot with?
Was it their confidence in the QPR goalkeeper, who having already let in his last three penalties, would now
rise to the occasion and thwart Bamford? Or was it just their mindset... when you expect nothing you get nothing?

How do you try and nurture success, well I think that a good principle is to reward efforts more than results
and this is what Bielsa does. He is also a man who takes the blame for failure on himself, and not on the team.
There is something he has not taught them... there is some solution that he has overlooked, and all of his
efforts go into looking for ways and means to bring success. He will play square pegs in round holes if he thinks
it will bring results.

I wish Radrizzani was not so constrained by the FFP rules. I wish he had some fun money, some mad money, and that
a small percentage of the budget could be spent in bringing in a striker from Norway or Outer Mongolia, to utterly
confuse the pundits who suggest Adams this or Gayle that. Perhaps the owners who have succeeded in getting their
clubs promoted have to be a little bit mad with their ideas. All clubs that remain run of the mill will stay where they are.
So I say let us let madness reign, We have made a great start with El Loco, and if only the players and the supporters
grasped at this chaotic inventive inexplicable mixture of unwarranted optimism, then by losing our head in a positive
way, we would keep our heads and win the league.

Lets go Fekking Mental.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:10 pm

TBH I've no clue if Rads is restricted by FFP, I doubt many fans can get their heads round it. But if it's a question of self financing the club then I'd prefer him to keep his wallet in his pocket..

....but I am...

mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Seeing Brom go through the same struggles as us last night did make me feel much better, I'll certainly admit that. It does indeed show how random this league can be, how little you can take for granted and how even the poorer teams are capable of taking points off the better teams. A Reading supporter at work gets thanks from me on almost a weekly basis in that regard. There is a lot we can't control, such as officials spotting a blatant handball and incorrectly giving a goal, but there are things we certainly can control and who we play up front is one of them.

There's a time for faith (indeed, what more can we offer as fans?) and earlier in the season we could show a nurturing patience twoards Bamford. We were still winning games, still grabbing points, still growing that gap. More importantly, there was more time to allow for poor runs and still be confident we could pick up the slack later. I was more than happy to give Bamford the benefit of the doubt, he put in a lot of work that allowed others to shine and we were winning games without the need for Paddy to score every game.

However, the QPR game was a game in which we needed our striker more than ever. He had chances. He had a penalty. And he let us down. Badly. With every game it gets harder to defend him. Fans don't want the guy to fail, we want him to succeed because if he succeeds then Leeds succeeds. Even after all of this, if he goes on a scoring run and brings in a steady return by the end of the season, or even if we find form again and get back to winning most of our games then most fans will forgive him.

But real respect is not given, it's earned. Respect blindly offered is hollow and would be meaningless, likewise fervent support given to him while the team is on a downward trajectory in the table would just be nonsensical considering we're gunning for promotion. We can't afford to be sentimental if we're serious about playing in the Premier League next season, it just won't cut it if the poor results continue and whatever stick Paddy's getting now will pale in comparison to what he'd get if he's still playing up front, still not scoring and we've dropped to POs by the end of the season.

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:13 pm

You are right. But "Honour and respect is the gift a man gives to himself... no one gives it to him and nobody can take it away"
Aretha was right when she said "Respect yourself"... and that is all Bamford can do... for certainly he gets no respect from the support.

SaraM
First Team
First Team

Post by SaraM » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:31 pm

I respect Bamford for the work he puts in, and for his willingness to do what is asked of him. Has said he derives confidence from Bielsa's trust in him, and is appreciative of that.

I'm not wishing to do him down in any way, but I also think that the QPR game was a watershed. The transfer window is open, and we have the possibility, within limits, to bring in another striker. We should be replacing Nketiah even if Bamford was scoring regularly, so there's nothing knee jerk about this.

The pressure on Bamford is immense, with the weight of expectation to get promoted, the memory of last season's capitulation, and the lack of backup. For his sake as much as ours, he needs serious competition for his place. He should definitely be dropped now, but I expect he still had a role to play in the squad. Maybe if someone replaces him, and we return to form, he can be an effective impact sub. In any case, everyone knows that we shouldn't be relying on him alone.
In football, nothing is true, nothing is false.

BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BGwhite » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Anyone who is good at their job earns and deserves respect, how can anyone who is consistently bad expect respect from anyone ? As a striker it is his responsibility to score goals primarily and help out wherever he can elsewhere but anyone in any other occupation who failed to deliver over such a long period of time would have been shown the door long ago. Leeds made a big mistake which they are now paying for and now it's time to make amends by getting someone in to convert our dominance into goals and points and do the right thing by Paddy and get him out of the limelight... I'm sure he'll be the first to admit it's not gone well and understand it's time for someone else to take it on.

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Sometimes I think I deal in metaphysics and the wonderful workings of the soul.
I ponder the psyche of the players and the supporters, and consider the psychological
dynamics of the team. I try to find a balance, (and to continue with the woowoo mumbojumbo
analogy), I find myself to be a voice crying in the wilderness.

There is nothing poetic about saying Bamford is crap. All the pragmatists on here
have no romance in their their souls. They sit with their calculator in hand pouring over
statistics, weighing up percentages, comparing results, analysing facts and figures,
and coming to the conclusion that all is lost and Leeds are falling apart again.

Never for one moment do they consider the dramatic arc of a player down on his luck
the struggle to regain confidence, and the possibility of a glorious recovery. Their stone
cold facts eliminate the possibility of any poetic justice, any triumph against the odds.
Instead of the desire to see something beautiful blossom and flourish, they would prefer
to be vindicated by their prophesies of doom and gloom. They have their reward.

I prefer to dream. As Hot chocolate said "Everyone's a winner babe and that's no lie"
(You can tell I have been watching Dennis Potter's Pennies from Heaven can't you
with all those song references in my posts. Perhaps we need a good song to lift our spirits
What would you suggest?)

paddy parrott
First Team
First Team

Post by paddy parrott » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 pm

For you rab anything by Big Country mate.Such as The "Seer" or how about Poorah Man..!
Please note these are Only suggestions.
And not to be taken seriously.

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:38 pm

I see Boro fans have got their priorities right.
They are willing to do a 100% straight swap
Bamford for Assombalonga

Frosty442
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Frosty442 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am

Gettn too late in the week for a new face to start instead of Bamford next Tuesday, seriously beginning to doubt that any REAL effort is being made in the transfer market at all.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:40 am

Even if we get a striker in I think we're looking at 2-4 weeks on the bench and at that point Paddy will score a half century (England cricket fans will get this reference) giving him a reprieve ...Bamford needs to score 16-18 goals RoS to bring us roughly on a par from what we got from our strikers last season. Or our defence needs to become shut down again...

....but I am...

Advertisment