January Transfer Window And Squad Discussion-No More signings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Re: January Transfer Window And Squad Discussion

Post by paddy parrott »

I'd Love to know that no matter who or where the new Striker comes from..that hes going to hit the ground running . That'd be just great Oh ! and have the Elland Road faithfull 100% behind him.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sorry i didnt know giving opinions on potential new signings wasnt allowed anymore.

Wont say another word.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:18 pm Thats a pretty harsh assessment.

He has done more in the Prem then Andre Grey who we are meant to be excited about?

Scored more goals in less time.
The very same Chris Wood's playing in the Premiership? I'd sooner have him and Roofe right now than Bramford and Roberts.

Our counterproductive selling policy. Any decent talent we sell, are all too often replaced with substandard players. 17 years down the line, this method doesn't seem to be working too well.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 pm Totally agree.

Grey would be potentially very expensive short term and long term.

According to PH and Graham Bielsa does like the unnamed European alternative but the club would prefer a domestic one.

Id love to know who the foreign one is.
Same here, whoever comes would I hope need to have been getting some game time otherwise he wont be match fit.

Oversees player probably would be the least expensive option I reckon.

Edit, I reckon it is Micheal Frey. 6ft 2
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 pm Sorry i didnt know giving opinions on potential new signings wasnt allowed anymore.

Wont say another word.
I don't think PP was being critical...just saying lets support whoever it is and he hopes he can hit the ground running...We all want that right?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:15 pm Chris Wood had one good season, couldn't jump more than 6 inches had the turning circle of an oil tanker the pace of a slow moving tortoise and did nothing before and not much since...
If we had Chris Wood & Charlie Taylor in Bielsa's team, two of our weaker positions we'd be walking this league by now

9 goals in 21 games for Chris Wood in the premierhip this season.

Wood, Taylor, Jansson, Bartley & Roofe all better than what we have now
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am If we had Chris Wood & Charlie Taylor in Bielsa's team, two of our weaker positions we'd be walking this league by now

9 goals in 21 games for Chris Wood in the premierhip this season.

Wood, Taylor, Jansson, Bartley & Roofe all better than what we have now
But we haven't got them, and probably knowing Radz, we won't be getting anyone in this window, if we don't I think we can kiss promotion goodbye, as we will fall away and out of the play offs
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Velotrax wrote: But we haven't got them, and probably knowing Radz, we won't be getting anyone in this window, if we don't I think we can kiss promotion goodbye, as we will fall away and out of the play offs
With you on that one V . Leeds knew the score 12 months ago regarding our strikers then alarmingly got a totally inexperienced kid in to replace our main goal threat and through no fault of his own didn't get a chance to prove anything before going back to Arsenal with us having spent 3mil and nothing to show for it. The club show a complete lack of ambition and understanding of what is required to get up from this league and they will struggle to survive even if they are lucky enough to do so.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Arteta 'thankful' for Nketiah's Leeds United loan

Eddie Nketiah stepped off the bench against Sheffield United for the Gunners this weekend in a 1-1 draw at the Emirates, here's what Arteta had to say about his loan with Leeds.

"I was very impressed with him," Arteta admitted.

"Everything I've seen in training I really liked and I think he's grown a lot in terms of his loan and the environment is was working in.

"That's what the plan was. He was he was ready to make an impact we needed that energy.

"I think the team was starting to feel a bit lacking that and I made a decision to play him."
I bet it was ..rip us off for 3 M and get a first team squad striker back after Christmas..BTW If we paid 3M for season long loan do we get some of that back
Last edited by The Subhuman on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Poveda yet to make a decision on his future but MC have rejected Torino's bid

Trying to sign Henri Kumwenda to a pro contract before Liverpool can get their grubby hands on him. Arse and Man City also interested...
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

radebe88 wrote: I think arguably, the club/owners have more knowledge of how to get out of this league than our previous owners have in 15 years. I think this due to it being the closest weve been to promotion in that whole time for 2 season running.
My point is that it was lack of goals that cost us last season and the same is still happening. It is glaringly obvious but because it's been going on for so long it makes the management look clueless. I'm not suggesting they are no better than we've had in the past , far from it, but now is THE TIME to show us that they are determined to put this club back where it belongs.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:42 pm My point is that it was lack of goals that cost us last season and the same is still happening. It is glaringly obvious but because it's been going on for so long it makes the management look clueless. I'm not suggesting they are no better than we've had in the past , far from it, but now is THE TIME to show us that they are determined to put this club back where it belongs.

Yes but given Bamford was injured for the most part last season but still had a decent goals return for the games he played it would have been expected that he'd do okay this season, barring injury. How much would it have cost to bring in a permanent player that was going to definitely be better than Nketiah ?Don't get too hung up on the cost because the majority of the cost with Nketiah was wages and we would have had to pay wages if we'd signed someone permanently. What you have to look at though is that if PB had scored 3 or 4 more goals he would be one of the leading scorers in the division but add 3 or 4 more goals to our team's tally and we still wouldn't be scoring as many as we should.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

weasel wrote: Yes but given Bamford was injured for the most part last season but still had a decent goals return for the games he played it would have been expected that he'd do okay this season, barring injury. How much would it have cost to bring in a permanent player that was going to definitely be better than Nketiah ?Don't get too hung up on the cost because the majority of the cost with Nketiah was wages and we would have had to pay wages if we'd signed someone permanently. What you have to look at though is that if PB had scored 3 or 4 more goals he would be one of the leading scorers in the division but add 3 or 4 more goals to our team's tally and we still wouldn't be scoring as many as we should.
3 or 4 goals doesn't come close . He should be way out of reach but because of the number of times he fluffs his shot or header he is barely into double figures which is actually pathetic given the number of chances. The team as a whole are not much better which is equally concerning and thank god for the 'own goals'' ! Generally the goals per shots ratio is abysmal unlike in reverse where we concede a lot per shots on target.

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:36 pm I bet it was ..rip us off for 3 M and get a first team squad striker back after Christmas..BTW If we paid 3M for season long loan do we get some of that back
I mean given that he wasn't even at arsenal when they loaned him out I wouldn't read too much into what he's said. Probably just means the plan over Christmas was for them to recall him and inject some energy into the side, not that this was the plan all along.

Highly doubt we would have paid 3 mill loan fee and let them insert a recall clause.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 pm Phil Hay says we are talking to Watford again about Andre Grey.

Not keen myself, massive flop at Watford.

Very much like Dwight Gayle, class in the Championship but not prem class.

So if Watford insist on an obligation to buy if we get promoted we would be stuck with him.
And unlike Che Adams, Grey isnt likely to improve, he is nearly 29 he isnt going to get better.
Also, he would be far from cheap, Watford want a loan fee (probably £1mil at least plus his full wages paid which are £70k).

And because we can basically be forced to bend over if Watford do insist on an obligation to buy they are going to want as much of their £18mil back as they can, we could end up nearly breaking our transfer record for a guy we know wont cut it in the Prem.

And finally, part of Adams appeal for me aside from hus age and the room to improve which Grey doesnt have.

Versatility, Grey hasnt any, much like Eddie (unlike Adams) Grey is a striker and thats it.

So no hope of him playing as a 10 or outwide to partner Bamford.

Its one or the other and what if MB doesnt rate Grey? Adams is the one MB wants (know it may be out of our hands) but Grey is like for like with Eddie imo.

To expensive, to old, not versatile and its been years since he looked decent.

Loathe us to get stuck with Andre Grey tbh.

Maybe im being to fussy because i rate Adams a lot ?but i could see Grey going very wrong.
I had these exact same thoughts CJ, can't see Gray putting in the running Bielsa requires alone, unlike Adams.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Emil Bohinen is a player of interest, this maybe MB's overseas target of choice I guess...20 yr old Norweigan multi positional player
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

27 year old winger Adri Embarba from Reyo Vallacano maybe another target. that one likely to be paper talk
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Taken from wiki

Andre Anthony Gray is an English professional footballer who plays as a striker for on loan at Championship side Leeds United, with his parent club being Premier League club Watford A product of the ... Wikipedia
Born: 26 June 1991 (age 28 years), Wolverhampton
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rrfierce wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:29 pm Taken from wiki

Andre Anthony Gray is an English professional footballer who plays as a striker for on loan at Championship side Leeds United, with his parent club being Premier League club Watford A product of the ... Wikipedia
Reminds me of the comment on the Arsenal website that suggested Eddie was in loan in Bristol.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

rrfierce wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:29 pm Taken from wiki

bullshit .
someone as had your pants down.