Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Costa to make first league start

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Costa to make first league start

Post by Cjay »

Going to leave Harrison alone after this last comment.

Few years back Jamie Carragher said "full backs are either failed wingers or failed centre backs".

Clearly a bit of banter with Neville who himself was indeed a failed cb.

But their is truth to that, many full backs were indeed deemed not good enough in other positions, even legendary ones.

Roberto Carlos was a forward, Cafu was a midfielder, Jordi Alba was a winger, David Alaba was also a winger, Evra was a winger, Bellarin was a winger etc.

It was a tongue in cheek comment from Carragher but truthful in many ways.

Lots of average wingers become full backs, Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia, and our own Stuart Dallas who while now reborn as a full back spent many years being a very average winger.

I think Jack Harrison will end up as a full back.

He has a great first touch, great attitude, works hard, follows tactical instructions, gives his all, puts in the occasional great cross, defensively ok.

I can see him following Stuart Dallas and becoming a full back.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Costa to make first league start

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:50 pm No surprise for me today. I had Charlton 2-1 winners. We seem to have lost a spark.....I'm sure that we will be accused of being negative by some on here, but in my opinion it's called being realistic. Massive improvement required, if not we will be lucky to finish top six!
You're not being negative Swannie.

That 2nd half performance v Derby was the writing on the wall. Today without Pablo we were a shambles for all our possession/corners, etc. We wouldn't have scored v what is virtually a League One team if we had played all night
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:46 pm And Costa cant get a touch.
If we are looking to spend £15m on Costa our board must be off their heads :x
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

And yet they would have been accused of being cheap if they didn't...Think Costa came highly recommended by a few on here..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think we're looking to buy Costa, I think we have, we just haven't paid for him yet.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:58 pm Going to leave Harrison alone after this last comment.

Few years back Jamie Carragher said "full backs are either failed wingers or failed centre backs".

Clearly a bit of banter with Neville who himself was indeed a failed cb.

But their is truth to that, many full backs were indeed deemed not good enough in other positions, even legendary ones.

Roberto Carlos was a forward, Cafu was a midfielder, Jordi Alba was a winger, David Alaba was also a winger, Evra was a winger, Bellarin was a winger etc.

It was a tongue in cheek comment from Carragher but truthful in many ways.

Lots of average wingers become full backs, Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia, and our own Stuart Dallas who while now reborn as a full back spent many years being a very average winger.

I think Jack Harrison will end up as a full back.

He has a great first touch, great attitude, works hard, follows tactical instructions, gives his all, puts in the occasional great cross, defensively ok.

I can see him following Stuart Dallas and becoming a full back.
Post of the day, in fact during the first half especially we had Harrison switch with Ailiosk.

Not sure we would have the permission from Citeh to convert him... :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Have to agree 64 with your assessment we flatter to deceive at the moment. No end product game is about goals not possession. 👍
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

thought we was piss poor today. same old , same old predictable leeds. lots of possession but tbh we didn't create a great deal . for me white and cooper probably are the only ones that come out of the game with any credit. poor goalkeeping cost us least a point .
Last edited by leic white 63 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I consider myself an optimist at heart. Shrugged when Forest got their equaliser. Shrugged when Swansea got their winner. Threw a ten minute tantrum when Derby got their equaliser but quickly became sanguine. But today was the most difficult result to take.

Things can change quickly in a long season but what we saw today were not promotion credentials, not by a bleeding long shot. This lot need to buck their ideas up and start doing Bielsa justice, because it's them that's letting him and everyone else down. How many strikers in this league would love to have as many chances as we make, how many wingers and midfielders would kill to be allowed so much of the ball in the opposition half, and how many defenders would eat their own mothers for the opposition to have so little possession?

A lot of these players will never have this kind of opportunity for success again in their careers. If they don't start playing like the champions so many have seemed to bill them as, they'll have ****ed their shot at glory right up the wall.
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

Have kept quiet recently but this is my last post, I am amazed at the negativity on here, every team plays like it’s their cup final against us, we are playing great football and out of luck at the moment, I appreciate everyone’s got an opinion but it’s so depressing being do negative , I have supported Leeds for 49 years and will support them until I am in the box , this is a great time with Leeds with full houses and we will get promotion of that I am sure, good night and god bless you all
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Newport white wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:21 pm Have kept quiet recently but this is my last post, I am amazed at the negativity on here, every team plays like it’s their cup final against us, we are playing great football and out of luck at the moment, I appreciate everyone’s got an opinion but it’s so depressing being do negative , I have supported Leeds for 49 years and will support them until I am in the box , this is a great time with Leeds with full houses and we will get promotion of that I am sure, good night and god bless you all
Thank you, my sig is big and bold agreeing with you...We're moaning about performances that 2 seasons ago we'd have sold our granny to see..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:40 pm Thank you, my sig is big and bold agreeing with you...We're moaning about performances that 2 seasons ago we'd have sold our granny to see..
2 seasons ago we were top on 20 points with the same conceded and 4 more scored . . . . .

We love a fast start :)

Tbf after what happened last season and how we totally screwed it up i dont think its unreasonable for people to be concerned when even the boss is saying the same as last season.

Deserve to win games, not taking chances, poor from set pieces.

MB must be concerned to? Any manager would be when you are plagued by the same issues shirley.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Even MB must be very worried now with the lack of goals scored from the possession we have but I think this is exactly where his game-plan fails... possession football is fine if you're City or Liverpool who have the quality and clever thinking players making the right decisions during the game and converting a reasonable number of chances but he is working with bang average players who just only now and then all click together and look world-beaters but are so inconsistent that to do this over a long hard season is virtually impossible especially with no great depth within the squad. This 'system' works great up to the final 3rd most of the time and Leeds make a fine fist of it but it just doesn't happen in & around the area because of our lack of quality and every team knows how to stifle us. I think we push up far too much which condenses the play into too small an area so it all becomes frantic and this plays into the hands of the opposition ie, 11 behind the ball in defence. Surely by dropping back a bit towards our own goal it will create more room in the middle and spread their players out more which allows us more time on the ball however I do think that unless the forwards start knocking them in MB can adopt any system he likes the result will be no different.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:11 pm Have to agree 64 with your assessment we flatter to deceive at the moment. No end product game is about goals not possession. 👍
Thanks MJ, not many agree my opinions but there you go

Poorest performance of the season by a long chalk, Charlton didn't have to do much to win the points apart from put in hard shift. In the end we got what we deserve & I've have no sympathy for our bunch of plodders.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:31 pm I consider myself an optimist at heart. Shrugged when Forest got their equaliser. Shrugged when Swansea got their winner. Threw a ten minute tantrum when Derby got their equaliser but quickly became sanguine. But today was the most difficult result to take.

Things can change quickly in a long season but what we saw today were not promotion credentials, not by a bleeding long shot. This lot need to buck their ideas up and start doing Bielsa justice, because it's them that's letting him and everyone else down. How many strikers in this league would love to have as many chances as we make, how many wingers and midfielders would kill to be allowed so much of the ball in the opposition half, and how many defenders would eat their own mothers for the opposition to have so little possession?

A lot of these players will never have this kind of opportunity for success again in their careers. If they don't start playing like the champions so many have seemed to bill them as, they'll have ****ed their shot at glory right up the wall.
We've failed to finish teams off in our last three home matches throwing seven points down the drain

Today we reached a low-ebb losing to a hard-working ex-League One team nothing more by any means.

The Addicks had their two main strikers out whilst we were missing our talisman Pablo plus Ayling two players I rate highly, all the same a team looking to achieve promotion should be winning games like this, but our cavalier casual approach littered with errors all over the park was a stark reminder of last season when we lost to the lower league/out of form teams.

These performances are not a sign of a team challenging promotion let alone being champions material
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Newport white wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:21 pm Have kept quiet recently but this is my last post, I am amazed at the negativity on here, every team plays like it’s their cup final against us, we are playing great football and out of luck at the moment, I appreciate everyone’s got an opinion but it’s so depressing being do negative , I have supported Leeds for 49 years and will support them until I am in the box , this is a great time with Leeds with full houses and we will get promotion of that I am sure, good night and god bless you all
So we've won one of our last eight home games & just lost to a promoted side where we managed one decent effort on target & you expect everyone to be happy

That is 16 hours of my life I won't get back :(

Hoping I don't experience that deja vu feeling at Millwall next Saturday, won't hold my breath as our record in London is atrocious
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:29 pm Even MB must be very worried now with the lack of goals scored from the possession we have but I think this is exactly where his game-plan fails... possession football is fine if you're City or Liverpool who have the quality and clever thinking players making the right decisions during the game and converting a reasonable number of chances but he is working with bang average players who just only now and then all click together and look world-beaters but are so inconsistent that to do this over a long hard season is virtually impossible especially with no great depth within the squad. This 'system' works great up to the final 3rd most of the time and Leeds make a fine fist of it but it just doesn't happen in & around the area because of our lack of quality and every team knows how to stifle us. I think we push up far too much which condenses the play into too small an area so it all becomes frantic and this plays into the hands of the opposition ie, 11 behind the ball in defence. Surely by dropping back a bit towards our own goal it will create more room in the middle and spread their players out more which allows us more time on the ball however I do think that unless the forwards start knocking them in MB can adopt any system he likes the result will be no different.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
This sums it up IMO. I don't think it will change either unless tight arse, sorry Radz gets his small fingers in his large pockets. Two defeats in nine - we are not going up ....again :evil:
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

I'm getting more and more frustrated by Bielsa and his stubbon approach, possession is great if you can convert to goals, we have been undone by teams that simply sit back and wait for us to fook up, which we do every game, time to change tactics? or change personal ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Can't be bothered with my usual match report as I can't think of any positives & I've already highlighted our negatives. Anyway after pondering about the game over the last eighteen hours Ben White & Stuart Dallas were easily our best performers through out the 90 minutes as was the MOTM vote on our coach plus I see the majority on Waccoe voted in a similar vein

Ratings

5 Casilla
6 Dallas
7 White MOTM
6 Cooper
4 Alioski
5 Phillips
4 Costa
5 Klich
4 Shackleton
5 Harrison
4 Bamford
Subs
5 Forshaw
5 Nketiah
5 Roberts
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

The Charlton fans I went with yesterday both at the game and in the pub were all pretty much of the same view.

Leeds were the best footballing team they'd played but were Arsenal, under Wenger in disguise in that we always want to seem to walk the ball into the net and don't shoot and never really look threatening beyond the final third.

IMO White was our clear MOTM.

Costa was useless. Bamford and Harrison - the same seemingly week on week. No end product.

As they told me Charlton fans did not expect to win that game