The #LUFC Breakfast Debate Thursday 19th September) All the latest news from Elland Road

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate Thursday 19th September) All the latest news from Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 19th September, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines

Council give LUFC permission to submit planning permission on disused School site

Leeds proposed purchase of the former Matthew Murray School took a step forward yesterday as counsellors met to discus the proposal to turn the site into a state of the art training complex for the Whites.

As we know, Leeds currently train at Thorp Arch, near Wetherby which is a 40 minute journey from Elland Road. If Leeds are successful in purchasing the former School, it would be walking distance. Don't expect things to happen overnight. Leeds lease on Thorp Arch does not run out until 2027.

Deputy leader of Leeds City Council James Lewis (Lab) said:
“It’s a scheme that’s been around for a while and there is more work to be done to bring forward a final proposal for the agreement of sale and planning permission.

“This sets out some of the work the club has been doing to try and improve relationships with people who live around the Elland Road area. This is work to improve those relationships and take them to a sustainable basis.

“There is still more work to be done to take it forward. We need to make sure the neighbours and surrounding communities are involved in this project as well.”
Martin Farrington, the council’s director of city development, responded:
“The lease of Thorpe Arch runs to about 2027, so when that expires, it will be up to Leeds United to renew the lease or not, but it is my understanding at the moment that they won’t renew that lease.”
Coun Carter responded:
“So they could be, for eight years, still at Thorpe Arch – is that what we are saying? So this project is a long way away from beginning let alone completing.”
Mr Farington said:
“In terms of the next stages, we will allow Leeds United to undertake site investigations on the Matthew Murray site

“Subject to them being satisfied with those site investigations, they will then need to bring forward a planning application, and we would give them a period of time to sort that.

“Then once they have the necessary consent, we will move forward to the third stage, which would be for them to develop the facilities. Bearing in mind this includes provision of grass pitches, it will take time for those to be ready.”
He added it was anticipated the new facility would be ready prior to the Thorpe Arch lease expiring.

Coun Carter asked whether the intention was to move all training facilities to the Matthew Murray site once Thorpe Arch was vacated.

Mr Farington responded:
“Ultimately that will be a matter for Leeds United, so they haven’t made that decision yet, and if they did come out of Thorpe Arch, then the land has a designation in planning, and it would be a matter for how it is used that would be brought forward by the current owner.”
Coun Carter continued:
“Part of the original rationale for this move was that Leeds United would be better located for their training facilities in this area of Leeds, which I entirely agree on.

“Are we going to ensure that this board sees the agreement with Leeds United about precisely what facilities they are going to utilise on this site before there is final agreement?”
James Rogers, the council’s Director of Communities and Environment, said:
“Whilst the future of the lease at Thorpe Arch is, in the long term, uncertain, and a matter for Leeds United to determine, it is their clear intention to move the majority of the academy, currently at Thorpe Arch, into this site to make it more accessible to local children from Leeds and beyond.”
Chief Executive Tom Riordan and council leader Judith Blake each praised the work the current ownership of the club was doing with communities, with Mr Riordan adding:
“We have seen quite a change in this administration compared to previous ones.”
Coun Carter responded:
“I’m sure we have, but it seems to me that this has a long way to run before we know precisely where we are.
“I am somewhat fazed by the reference of Mr Rogers to the academy. My understanding was that Leeds United were going to train at Matthew Murray when the new facility was completed.

“What you’re saying is that the academy is going to train at Matthew Murray, but what about the rest, particularly the first team?”
A council officer said: “
I think that is a clarity we need from Leeds United in terms of their intentions and the whole structure looking forward. We can do that in the next part of the work and report that to members.

“But I know for certain that it is their intention to move the bulk of what currently is at Thorpe Arch to the Matthew Murray site.”

Beckford - No 9 shirt comes with a burden

Former Leeds Striker Jermaine Beckford has been speaking to Graham Symth (Phil Hay's replacement at the YEP) regarding he Whites strike force and recalls the pressure he felt wearing the No 9 shirt!
“It’s massive if I’m honest with you,”
“If you look at some of the veterans who have worn the number nine shirt prior to myself, the expectation levels and the pressure levels are sky high.

“You’re the focal point of the attack and you have to create, make things happen.

“The pressure for the number nine is huge.

“You sort of know, especially when you first walk into the training ground and into Elland Road, you know with the history of the club what it’s going to be about.

“You have that preparation time but ultimately it never stops being a bit of a shock to the system.”

“I think his movement is very clever, he’s improved quite a bit in terms of his upper body strength from last season.

“When the ball comes into him you can tell the guys around him have a lot of confidence in him because they’re starting to make a lot of movements off him.

“Last season I don’t think they had as much confidence in him in terms of his hold up play.

“I think he’s definitely an unsung hero for Leeds.
“He does a lot of unselfish work, his movement and he’s a threat in front of goal as well, you can’t take that away from him.”
“Everything is working really well as it stands; there’s a healthy competition for the two boys up front and they’re both scoring goals, giving the manager a headache.

“But as amazing as it is for the team and the guys individually, on a personal level Eddie has got to be thinking what more can I do?

“The boss is looking at it from a different perspective, he’s winning games – what he’s doing at the moment is working.

“You don’t want to change a winning side but you don’t want to frustrate important players.”
If you could turn the clock back six years, would Beckford get into our starting line up today?

Klich top for Leeds on passing accuracy

Three Leeds players are currently ranked within the top 30 Championship players for progressive passing accuracy!

4th Klich 91.07%

7th Hernandez 87.88%

11th Dallas 85.71%

Anyone surprised there weren't more Leeds players in the top 30?

Are you shocked Klich was top of the Leeds pile?

Leeds Summer target Romaine Sawyers (Brentford) was 2nd on 91.95%

Formers players that also made it into the top 30 include Kyle Bartley 13th 83.88%, Matt Grimes 22nd 79.73%, Barry Bannan 25th 78.95% and Adam Clayton 27th 77.97%.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate Thursday 19th September) All the latest news from Elland Road

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning all.

Nice to see we are investing more dosh. I do wonder where it is coming from.
It does make sense to have those facilities close to EL, even if it does quash my dream of a brand new stadium built on those grounds.

When sportsmen talk about pressure It always reminds me of the oft quoted Aussie cricketer Keith Miller..
( you may have to Google it )

Beckford in this team? Not with Eddie around...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate Thursday 19th September) All the latest news from Elland Road

Post by The Subhuman »

No surprise at all Klich is the best passer at Leeds. I guess the word progressive being key here. I'd think that is a better indicator of passing ability than completed passes.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am Nice to see we are investing more dosh. I do wonder where it is coming from.
It does make sense to have those facilities close to EL, even if it does quash my dream of a brand new stadium built on those grounds.

We are currently paying near £1m pounds a year for TA so given a 25 year life the facilities pay for themselves in that regard.

They will also hope to get money from the FA and Sport England for the Parklife element of the development.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Marcelo sleeps there with his store of tinned food, so at least our great man saves on hotel expenses :lol:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:07 am No surprise at all Klich is the best passer at Leeds. I guess the word progressive being key here. I'd think that is a better indicator of passing ability than completed passes.
The progressive thing isn't particularly clear. Something to do with the pass going forward 30 metres from your own half. There seemed an awful lot of full backs on the list and that would suggest that they are getting good ratios by simply knocking the ball down the line for their winger to chase.

Too many variables to really say whether this manner of sorting is any use. Would be very interesting to see what stats Bielsa relies on when assessing a player.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am We are currently paying near £1m pounds a year for TA so given a 25 year life the facilities pay for themselves in that regard.

They will also hope to get money from the FA and Sport England for the Parklife element of the development.
We are paying £1m for a facility that isn't as good, category wise, as we want/need to have if we are promoted. It may be that to get TA up to that level it may cost a few million quid. If it say cost £5m to do that then spending £25m on a brand new facility suddenly doesn't seem as expensive (we could pay £5m for improvements and £1m rent per year for 7 more years then the lease expires and we have spent £12m and suddenly are evicted and have no training facilities). Plus we don't know what sort of planning restrictions there may be with the TA site that could prevent us from doing some of the stuff we would like to do.

It may even be part of a process for us to get a better price to re-purchase TA if the landlords are suddenly faced with having something that becomes useless to them in 7 years (especially if they couldn't get planning permission to turn it into a housing estate etc).
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:17 pm The progressive thing isn't particularly clear. Something to do with the pass going forward 30 metres from your own half. There seemed an awful lot of full backs on the list and that would suggest that they are getting good ratios by simply knocking the ball down the line for their winger to chase.

Too many variables to really say whether this manner of sorting is any use. Would be very interesting to see what stats Bielsa relies on when assessing a player.
My instinct is that Klich is the best passer of a football at LUFC and that seldom gets recognized by the extremely simplistic passes completed stat..As a stat it's completely useless, almost as bad as the shots on goal one. Progressive passing seems to suggest passing into key areas rather than a sidefoot to the guy standing next to you unmarked 5 yards away, Not many of Klich's passes travel 30 metres he's a touch passer (much harder to do than say kick a long ball into space for someone to run onto) So I'm unsure how he'd even register in that set of statistics if 30 metres is a necessary qualification..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Pre Match Presser

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:34 pm My instinct is that Klich is the best passer of a football at LUFC and that seldom gets recognized by the extremely simplistic passes completed stat..As a stat it's completely useless, almost as bad as the shots on goal one. Progressive passing seems to suggest passing into key areas rather than a sidefoot to the guy standing next to you unmarked 5 yards away, Not many of Klich's passes travel 30 metres he's a touch passer (much harder to do than say kick a long ball into space for someone to run onto) So I'm unsure how he'd even register in that set of statistics if 30 metres is a necessary qualification..
Not sure if I understood it right but it seemed to suggest a 30 metre pass forward if you're in your own half or a 10 metre pass if you were in the opposition half. Hence a couple of keepers on it and a lot of full backs as easy for the full backs to play a simple pass down the line to their winger.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:05 pm Not sure if I understood it right but it seemed to suggest a 30 metre pass forward if you're in your own half or a 10 metre pass if you were in the opposition half. Hence a couple of keepers on it and a lot of full backs as easy for the full backs to play a simple pass down the line to their winger.
Apart from the short passes Phillips in particular & Cooper make several passes throughout a game

KP generally passes down the channels

Cooper makes the long cross the pitch passes to his targets or into the West Stand :lol:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »