Bielsa Press Conference Pre-QPR game - 31/10/2019

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Bielsa Press Conference Pre-QPR game - 31/10/2019

Post by 1964white »

Marcelo Bielsa & Kalvin Phillips will be before the press from 2pm at Thorp Arch to preview the Barnsley match
1964white

Re: Bielsa Press Conference Pre-Barnsley - 13/09/2019

Post by 1964white »

Marcelo Bielsa is here for his press conference. Diego Flores translating toda

On Phillips new contract: "It's very good for him. He deserves it. And it's very good also for the club and the team. It's very deserving for him."

Bielsa on Phillips: "He can grow a lot more." Says Forshaw can do much the same job (and also Ben White, interestingly) "but the difference is Kalvin has 60 games playing in this position."

Tyler Roberts is available for the Barnsley game. Bielsa says Luke Ayling is "healthy" and he'll play for the 23s next week. #

On Cooper and Dallas - who signed long deals this week - Bielsa says Dallas' performance for NI against Germany answers the question of whether he can step up to the Premier League. Also believes Cooper can play against "top-level players

Bielsa talking in detail about his side. Says the failure to convert enough chances is a characteristic of them (and has forced him to speak about it at length). Also concedes that his team are vulnerable from set-pieces.

Bielsa on Jordan Stevens: "The mistake he made was in the rules. It's a good thing that the Association tell everyone that if you make this mistake, afterwards there will be a consequence."

But he thinks the ban on Stevens training means it's effectively longer than six weeks because Stevens will have to regain fitness when he returns. "But I don't think I have the authority to make an opinion."

Bielsa thinks the issue with finishing comes down to confidence and decision-making. It's something he asks the players about. Says Man City and Barcelona are the best examples of teams who don't take the easiest/obvious option in attack - ie banging in a cross for the sake of it
1964white

Re: Bielsa/Phillips Press Conference Pre-Barnsley - 13/09/2019

Post by 1964white »

Kalvin

Kalvin Phillips is here. First question about his nan. "She's buzzing!"

"Obviously I'm happy. Another five years here with my hometown club and I hope I can make the most of it. On a personal note, I always wanted to stay."

Phillips on the £20m bid for him: "If I was offering money for a player, I wouldn't offer that much for me."

Phillips said he switched off completely from social media and everything else after the end of last season. How did he make sure the transfer talk didn't become a distraction? "I left the country." (had a holiday in the US).

Kalvin Phillips on being valued in excess of £20m by other clubs: "It's a bit crazy. If I was a manager, if I was offering that much to a player, I wouldn't offer that much for me. It's a bit too much."
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm Kalvin

Kalvin Phillips is here. First question about his nan. "She's buzzing!"

"Obviously I'm happy. Another five years here with my hometown club and I hope I can make the most of it. On a personal note, I always wanted to stay."

Phillips on the £20m bid for him: "If I was offering money for a player, I wouldn't offer that much for me."

Phillips said he switched off completely from social media and everything else after the end of last season. How did he make sure the transfer talk didn't become a distraction? "I left the country." (had a holiday in the US).

Kalvin Phillips on being valued in excess of £20m by other clubs: "It's a bit crazy. If I was a manager, if I was offering that much to a player, I wouldn't offer that much for me. It's a bit too much."
a lovely lovely fella.
he can play a bit aswell !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:30 pm a lovely lovely fella.
he can play a bit aswell !
Probably one of the nicest footballers in the game '63
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I'm not sure who was doing the translating but that was far more understandable than the usual offerings.

Great to see the Ayling and Roberts returning to fitness. A genuine competition for places, who would gave thought it possible!

And I liked his response to questions about Cooper and Dallas.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

If he could only get the haircut right eh? Having said that, his appearance doesn't matter - if he can distract the opposition with it he should get an allowance from the club and a tax credit.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

But worrying that MB knows we are crap from set pieces but the club did nothing to try and rectify that in the summer.

Fair play to KP for being honest.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm But worrying that MB knows we are crap from set pieces but the club did nothing to try and rectify that in the summer.

We all could have told the great man that was a problem last season, we're not great at resolving problems are we ?
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Leeds are looking to win six consecutive away matches in all competitions for only the third time in their history - they also did so between September and November 1931 and October and November 1963.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm But worrying that MB knows we are crap from set pieces but the club did nothing to try and rectify that in the summer.

To be fair only 2 of the goals conceded, in 6 league matches, have been set piece related and neither were really down to us not dealing with the initial setpiece as both times we cleared the initial danger. For me both those goals then simply ended up as 'open play' goals but the opposition scored due to having more men in our box than they normally would (as a result of having put more men forward for the initial free kick) and the ball eventually falling for one of their players.

So for me the goals have been scored more because the opposition has had more bodies in the box than normal due to having had a free kick rather than us not dealing with the initial free kick delivery. Both goals we had ample chances to clear but executed poor clearances/attempted passes out of defence.

More concerning for me is our lack of threat when we have set pieces and corners.
1964white

Bielsa/Alioski Press Conference Pre-Derby - 19/09/2019

Post by 1964white »

Marcelo Bielsa & Ezgjan Alioski are on pre-Derby press duties at Thorp Arch at 12.30pm today
1964white

Re: Bielsa/Alioski Press Conference Pre-Derby - 19/09/2019

Post by 1964white »

Time for Cjay to drool over his favourite Leeds player :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Latest team news from Bielsa - Forshaw misses out again. No fresh injury worries for Derby

Bielsa on the renewal of hostilities with Derby: "What happens on Saturday doesn't modify what happened in the past. It's convenient for the team to think like that.

On Derby's form: "Championship teams have highs and lows. In this case, it's with a new manager and it's natural that adaptation needs time. I have to say that the performances they've had are better than their results.
"
Bielsa on Jack Clarke and whether he might go back to Spurs, given his lack of game time: "He's at a good fitness level, technically he is complete and his attitude is very good. I'm satisfied working with him and I'm sure he's going to be important for us

Ayling will play with the 23s again tomorrow but he's very close to a first-team comeback now. "For us he's really important"

Bielsa asked who are the most difficult team he has managed against: "It's difficult to condense a movie of 30 years into one answer!" Sao Paulo in the 90s and Brazil in 2002 get honourable mentions.but needless to say, Guardiola's Barcelona are right up there

Alioski

Alioski is up now. Talking about Derby: "Forget the play-offs, that was last year. It's a new game now and we need to win." Any extra motivation because of last season? "No"

Alioski's on for his 100th appearance this weekend: "I haven't thought about this, it's better not to, but it makes me proud. I hope for another 100 more"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:56 pm
Alioski

Alioski's on for his 100th appearance this weekend: "I haven't thought about this, it's better not to, but it makes me proud. I hope for another 100 more"
I don't or that would mean we'd still be in the championship :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I wonder how long Forshaw will be missing, a real injury prone player
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 pm I don't or that would mean we'd still be in the championship :lol:
I'm sure Alio can step up to premier league levels of shithousing.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:07 pm I'm sure Alio can step up to premier league levels of shithousing
Ali would be alright on that score Sara :tup:

From a quality point of view Ali doesn't come close to being the best defender in championship so he would get done a kipper playing in the premiership.

Ben White & Kalvin Phillips are our only two defensive players who could handle the prem imo!

Kiko would be fine between the sticks too
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm I wonder how long Forshaw will be missing, a real injury prone player
A real shame for him as he was playing the best he has ever played for us.
However Jamie Shackleton is a more than adequate replacement.
That's the big difference this year. We now have a stronger squad and can cope with injuries.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:23 am A real shame for him as he was playing the best he has ever played for us.
However Jamie Shackleton is a more than adequate replacement.
That's the big difference this year. We now have a stronger squad and can cope with injuries.
Plus the fact we've had less injuries

Jinxed :shock: