MB Post Swansea

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MB post Swansea.

Post by HarryofOz » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:20 pm

weasel wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:50 pm
That is the key point and why Bielsa persists with his methodology. There will always be the game(s) where the ball doesn't go into the net and that has been my point all pre-season in that we need goals from all around the team. With Wilko's title winning team the only players unlikely to score were Batty and Lukic. Both fullbacks, Sterland and Dorigo, scored goals, the centrebacks, Whyte and Fariclouigh did, Strachan, Speed and McAllister did, and up front Wallace and Chapman did. Even bit part players came in, Wetherall, Newsome, Hodge and Cantona came in and scored. With this team you have Kiko, White, Cooper, Phillips and Forshaw who probably won't get 5 between them so that is a huge part of the team that offers little in the way of a goal threat.

Yesterday the expected goals from our chances suggested we would score between 2 and 3. So we should have won the game. So the performance wasn't the problem. The defending wasn't the problem either, Swansea created little. They didn't even create from corners directly but from the second or third phases after we initially dealt with the danger but then failed to properly clear our lines.

But it is deja vu from last season, good performance, fail to score and get hit by a sucker punch. Defensively though I do think we look stronger. Last season we conceded goals when we got cut open horribly. This season the 3 goals we have conceded have all been a bit scruffy. Forest's was pinball in the box that fell for them and trickled over the line, ditto Swansea. Bristol City's a better goal but even then the shot took a slight deflection or was possibly going to be saved.
Yes, Wilko's team was amazing in terms of goal scoring ability across the park. This team doesn't have that (but then again few teams would).

I think we look better defensively this season, so that could make the difference between this season and last.
We're going up like there is no gravity!

jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:07 am

Every game I ask myself "who is going to score"

We have sold our top goal scorers days before the start of the last 2 seasons, Woods and Roofe.

Kilch is living off off last seasons early goals and can do better, dallas can do.better, alioski got a goal.

But "who is going to score?" With the way we play on open play.

Sorry to say Bamfkrd looks half a step off the pace, c
Can he get better?

I think we we all would like to see Eddie and Helder start a game, then we can see their stats in comparison.

That said the game was brilliant and i have to pinch myself that this is still the same team that was mid table 2 seasons ago. Love it.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Only 1 team have scored 2 more thsn us, 3 teams have scored 1 more, we're not exactly firing blanks, that added to the least goals conceded in the division , then we're doing ok. No need to jump under a bus just yet.

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MB Post Swansea

Post by Norm » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:30 am

gessa wrote:

Only 1 team has scored 2 more than us, 3 teams have scored 1 more, we're not exactly firing blanks, that added to the least goals conceded in the division, then we're doing ok. No need to jump under a bus just yet.
Well said - talk about it but don't get depressed into thinking we've no chance of promotion. I think we're still third and I think that will change for the better. Not only that but we've had our first league defeat - got that out of the way and hopefully, that will remove the nervous reaction to some games.

I'm impressed with our reported performances this season - unfortunately I can still only get reports, not watch the games.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:47 am

I think we all felt the huge deflation on Saturday and the sens of deja vu. The only thing that stopped us last season was losing games in the same way and from what I have seen of us, and the rest of the division, it will be the same this season as there is no team that looks better than us.

Hopefully the big difference this season will be having options on the bench. Last season we briefly had a great weapon on the bench in Jack Clarke. This season we have Costa, Eddie, Bogusz and even Clarke if he can rediscover his form. We have more players capable of scoring in the squad. We also have players showing improvement from last season. Defensively we look stronger and the whole shape looks stronger defensively without us seemingly losing our ability to create 20+ chances per game. We should also be physically and mentally stronger with bodies and minds having the benefit of having played last season.

There are certainly a lot of reasons to be positive and I would rather be us than any of the teams we have played, including Swansea. Swansea may have beaten us but I saw nothing of them to suggest they can maintain their form, maybe just a surprise team at the start of the season due to them taking their chances but I don't see them being able to continually do that in the way Norwich did.
Senor El Weasel

mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:10 am

weasel wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:47 am
I think we all felt the huge deflation on Saturday and the sens of deja vu. The only thing that stopped us last season was losing games in the same way and from what I have seen of us, and the rest of the division, it will be the same this season as there is no team that looks better than us.

Hopefully the big difference this season will be having options on the bench. Last season we briefly had a great weapon on the bench in Jack Clarke. This season we have Costa, Eddie, Bogusz and even Clarke if he can rediscover his form. We have more players capable of scoring in the squad. We also have players showing improvement from last season. Defensively we look stronger and the whole shape looks stronger defensively without us seemingly losing our ability to create 20+ chances per game. We should also be physically and mentally stronger with bodies and minds having the benefit of having played last season.

There are certainly a lot of reasons to be positive and I would rather be us than any of the teams we have played, including Swansea. Swansea may have beaten us but I saw nothing of them to suggest they can maintain their form, maybe just a surprise team at the start of the season due to them taking their chances but I don't see them being able to continually do that in the way Norwich did.
Well said. Now certainly isn't the time for Captain Hindsight and his Kneejerk Brigade to come charging in to pick apart what could've been done because let's face it, the team we've been putting out have looked head and shoulders above the opposition so far, including playoff contenders Brentford and Forest. I won't be convinced otherwise until the same starts happening with teams less capable than Swansea.

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:08 pm

rab_rant wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:56 am
Win and the fans are elated, loose and the fans are deflated... they are tossed about by the waves
of fortune, ruled by emotion. Thank God Bielsa is an anchor that holds fast, and steadies the ship,
I don't think he cares much for the individual talent of a player, he is more interested on how
that talent can be integrated into the team. Individual brilliance may score the odd goal, but what
typifies and dazzles in Bielsa ball is a goal scored by team work... now that makes your heart sing.
Dare I say it the clamour of the fans to replace one player with another only brings discord and confusion.
Elevates the confidence of one at the expensive of another. I bet that the thought that Bielsa has is
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, Never be wise in your own sight.

And there you have it, teamwork instilling a confidence in players that they can rely and depend
on each other. How often have you seen a striker point to his feet and with an exasperated look
shake his head as if to say... you should have passed the ball to me? It is an old saying "Team before
self" and that is the dynamic Bielsa is trying to create.

He is not stubborn he is steadfast, and that is a quality that should be admired.
Completely agree, Bielsa sees that the mentality of the team, the squad, the whole club, is what gives individuals the confidence and desire to play at their absolute best. Retaining a certain player when another may appear to be in individually better form is part of the psychology which enables the team to play as such an effective unit.

With games like Swansea it's down to fine margins again; Cooper's header goes in and we probably go on to win by two or three. One of the most remarkable stats from last season was that we didn't lose a single game in which we scored first, up until the debacle against Wigan and subsequent collapse. We are capable of scoring goals late on, as opposition teams tire, but the most important goals are the ones we create in the first twenty minutes or so.

If I have any criticism, it's almost that we're so good we've become complacent, expecting to win by the inevitable efficiency of the machine. Very often we do, but we need to retain the urgency to score early, so that games like Swansea don't drift away from us.
In football, nothing is true, nothing is false.

Advertisment