Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread - Alioski Replaces Douglas

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:49 pm I thought I'd read somewhere that there were no injury worries :duno: What's happened ges?

No idea Swan, it was from a Phil Hay tweet, they're not ruled out, just doubtful.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:17 pm I was quoting Marcelo - he didn't mention Davis.
:tup:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

The tone of the revelation doesn't seem to speak of serious injuries but we have Berra, Davis, Dallas, Shack, plenty of talent to ease any short-term niggles. Could be issues that will clear up before the weekend and Bielsa not wanting to risk important players over them. Either way it's nice not to be put on our arses by an injury for a change, and even without Douglas, Alioski and Ayling I'm confident in our full back positions if Dallas and Shack were to fill them.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:16 pm Don't understand the rezt Hernandez point at this stage of the season, he's only played 3 games.
Too early for a must win game.
Never settle for a point at home, always expect and want 3 points, regardless of the opposition.
Indeed mate no need to rest Pablo in league games right now, he is fit as a butchers dog & raring to go. Hernandez didn't play v Salford & I doubt he'll be used v Stoke reserves next Tuesday. Pablo will have a two weeks break at the beginning of September so would be crazy to rest him in August.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Imo Pablo should be hooked if Leeds are in comfortable winning positions such as at Bristol and Wigan. Protecting our main man is important not only to preserve his fitness but also to avoid picking up silly injuries or knocks that could keep him out for a few games. MB needs to grow some and let others take some of the responsibility off Pablo for the last 10/20 mins , this will also show that he's got confidence in them to see the game out. Sometimes you just have to suck it and see as they say.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bees fans love Pontus & rightly so !

Read last three or four pages

https://www.griffinpark.org/forums/show ... p?t=132192
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Can we not play Costa and Pablo?

Surely the two most talented players at the club... is costa not up to MB speed yet? I really think we need to get this guy starting soon because we do not want an unhappy £15m player.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:09 am Bees fans love Pontus & rightly so !

Read last three or four pages

https://www.griffinpark.org/forums/show ... p?t=132192
Not bothered what they think to be honest - can we not just let this Pontus love-in lie now? Become very tedious that he gets more praise from some posters than our own players.

He'll get a good reception before the game, I'm sure, but hopefully he gets wound up and sent off early doors....
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Doire_Boi wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:06 am Can we not play Costa and Pablo?

Surely the two most talented players at the club... is costa not up to MB speed yet? I really think we need to get this guy starting soon because we do not want an unhappy £15m player.
I'm sure he'll know the score and will have been told up front before he signed that he will need to earn his place in a winning team. This is certainly no different to the Premier League, to which we aspire, and we're not just an easy wage slip for players now. That said I believe Bielsa rates him highly and will get him in as soon as possible, but he won't rush him into the first team just because he's expensive.

Don't forget Costa didn't feature much for Wolves last season so his overall match fitness/sharpness won't be as high as the rest of our first team.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I'm going tonight for the first time in nearly two years and I can't wait!

Injuries would be a blow, but Berardi and Shackleton coming in would be okay.

Obviously Pontus will be a threat at set pieces, but I'm not too worried about Brentford really - they've scored 3 goals this season and all by Watkins, whereas we've conceded the fewest shots against etc... So a 0-1 loss written all over it! :p

I'm just looking forward to seeing us in full-flow and hopefully a couple of goals for us.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Genghers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 am Not bothered what they think to be honest - can we not just let this Pontus love-in lie now? Become very tedious that he gets more praise from some posters than our own players.

He'll get a good reception before the game, I'm sure, but hopefully he gets wound up and sent off early doors....
I honestly think that should the fans give him the respect he deserves it will affect him on the pitch. He's always been the emotional sort. Likewise if the fans give him grief it will probably fire him up, but I don't think anyone really holds any ill will towards him so can't see that being the case.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 am Not bothered what they think to be honest - can we not just let this Pontus love-in lie now? Become very tedious that he gets more praise from some posters than our own players.

I never forget players that have an impact on me, the ones I enjoy watching play for Leeds. My reaction would be same should Phillips & Pablo leave our club. I still drool over Revie's squad of players especially Bremner & Giles & then there's the likes of Strachan, Yeboah, Radebe, Beckford, etc who'll always make me smile & leave a glow in my heart, memories I'll cherish until to the day I die!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:54 am I'm going tonight for the first time in nearly two years and I can't wait!

Injuries would be a blow, but Berardi and Shackleton coming in would be okay.

Obviously Pontus will be a threat at set pieces, but I'm not too worried about Brentford really - they've scored 3 goals this season and all by Watkins, whereas we've conceded the fewest shots against etc... So a 0-1 loss written all over it! :p

I'm just looking forward to seeing us in full-flow and hopefully a couple of goals for us.
Enjoy the game Tom
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 am I never forget players that have an impact on me, the ones I enjoy watching play for Leeds. My reaction would be same should Phillips & Pablo leave our club. I still drool over Revie's squad of players especially Bremner & Giles & then there's the likes of Strachan, Yeboah, Radebe, Beckford, etc who'll always make me smile & leave a glow in my heart, memories I'll cherish until to the day I die!
I'm not saying that those aren't valid feelings - there are plenty of players I've kept tabs on over the years, but they don't need bringing up in every thread!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Doire_Boi wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:06 am Can we not play Costa and Pablo?

Watching Costa warm up before & during the game down the sidelines I'm unconvinced HC is as fit as the players Bielsa is selecting in our first XI. It's up to Costa to keep on training hard & show the right attitude to make an impact in the Marcelo's team.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 am I honestly think that should the fans give him the respect he deserves it will affect him on the pitch. He's always been the emotional sort. Likewise if the fans give him grief it will probably fire him up, but I don't think anyone really holds any ill will towards him so can't see that being the case.
Think this is exactly the way to go with Pontus.

He doesnt deserve to be booed anyway.

But more then that, as you say he is an emotional guy playing against the side his heart belongs to (aside from Malmo).

Singing his name and cheering him could have a similar impact to Dan James when we played Swansea just after his failed move, took him totally off his game.

I think getting as far from booing as possible is the perfect way forward.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Brentford are a bit of a problem for us, we rarely beat them.

They are having a real problem scoring, creating loads but missing Maupay.

Always been poor away from home Brentford, its what has stopped them getting up as their home form is always really good.

I think we can beat them, slow starters as well, not in their stride yet.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Saying it again, Nketiah to come on late and slip past tired Pontus on the break to bag his first league goal for mighty Leeds. I seen it in a dream.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Taking a leaf from the Tony Grieg book of diplomacy would be a very good idea. MB has already availed himself of that opportunity this week..Lets treat our former player well, he deserves that.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 am I'm sure he'll know the score and will have been told up front before he signed that he will need to earn his place in a winning team. This is certainly no different to the Premier League, to which we aspire, and we're not just an easy wage slip for players now. That said I believe Bielsa rates him highly and will get him in as soon as possible, but he won't rush him into the first team just because he's expensive.

Don't forget Costa didn't feature much for Wolves last season so his overall match fitness/sharpness won't be as high as the rest of our first team.
I think I remember him doing the same with Bamford at the beginning of last season - didn;t start him for a month or so. Maybe it's the same thinking.

I just hope we can get him up to speed real quick, costa and pablo to rip up defenses and phillips to protect them.