Jack Clarke

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Jack Clarke

Post by WhiteRose »

Surprised to see no threads on this yet. According to phil hay clarke is having a medical in London today, deal is said to be £10 million with sell on clause and first refusal if spurs opt to loan him out. In my opinion it isnt bad business we can't really afford to turn good money down on a player who is not the finished article and wont in my opinion have a crucial impact over the coming season.

looked very good in a handful of games last season when appearing as a sub but looked a bit lost when he started and clearly didn't have the fitness the rest of the team had - I am sure he will develop in to a top class player though and wish him well.

Lets hope at least some of the 10 million unlocks some inbound transfer activity - not seen us linked with any number 10 style players which is a worry, as much as we need wingers and a central defender we still need that extra creativity we lost when Siaz departed.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Re: Jack clarke medical

Post by Gurj »

Sad but inevitable news. As stated previously, looks like while Radz is at the helm, we will lose one diamond each pre-season.

I think to be fair Clarke was probably the best suited for us to sell for the reasons you stated White Rose.

This deal only makes sense however if we get a real quality replacement, i.e. Helder Costa or Ryan Kent.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Is he a diamond though yet? ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Gurj wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:21 am Sad but inevitable news. As stated previously, looks like while Radz is at the helm, we will lose one diamond each pre-season.

I think to be fair Clarke was probably the best suited for us to sell for the reasons you stated White Rose.

This deal only makes sense however if we get a real quality replacement, i.e. Helder Costa or Ryan Kent.
Ryan Kent? Really? He was crap at Barnsley and Bristol City.

We need an experienced winger, not one "with potential". Costa, Harrison (sadly) and an experienced winger from Europe will do for me.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

To answer faaip's question, no he isn't and if the £10m is legit, that is decent money for potential. Not pleased to see him go, but recognise the reality of our situation under AR. Agree that a number 10 and/or replacement for Pablo should be our first priority.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Let's pull the deal now, Swansea style.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I would probably let Forshaw go aswell i can't see him getting in the first team when everyone's fit. He is an ok player but hasnt done much for me. Would rather we replaced him with Luke Freeman for the same money. we do need players in soon though if we have any hope of seeing any of them start before christmas.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

WhiteRose wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:39 pm I would probably let Forshaw go aswell i can't see him getting in the first team when everyone's fit. He is an ok player but hasnt done much for me. Would rather we replaced him with Luke Freeman for the same money. we do need players in soon though if we have any hope of seeing any of them start before christmas.
Except we need a bigger squad, or so I'm always told. Forshaw would be a solid reliable option off the bench as would Dallas
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Looks like 10M up front and maybe up to 20 in add ons and sell on to come later.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:38 am Is he a diamond though yet? ...
Maybe I should have rephrased that then - potential to be a diamond.

I guess we have to look at this deal in terms of, if he lives up to he's potential, Spurs have got a snip, if he doesnt kick on, then we have done well to get £10m
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:56 am Ryan Kent? Really? He was crap at Barnsley and Bristol City.

We need an experienced winger, not one "with potential". Costa, Harrison (sadly) and an experienced winger from Europe will do for me.
He wasnt crap at Barnsley at all and he has done very well at Rangers which I would say is probably comparable to Championship standard.

Harrison is just average for me. A proper winger has skill/trickery or pace or all three ideally, he has none of these. So many times he gets to the full back and doesnt know what to do and has to cut back.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:22 pm Looks like 10M up front and maybe up to 20 in add ons and sell on to come later.
If we end up getting £20m I dont think any of us could argue that it was a deal that made sense all round, as the player will have obviously gone on to bigger and better things and leeds will have made good money on such a young and raw prospect at the time.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Gurj wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:31 pm He wasnt crap at Barnsley at all and he has done very well at Rangers which I would say is probably comparable to Championship standard.

Harrison is just average for me. A proper winger has skill/trickery or pace or all three ideally, he has none of these. So many times he gets to the full back and doesnt know what to do and has to cut back.
He scored 3 goals over a season at Barnsley, which is very poor and worse than the much maligned Harrison managed. Our fans rave over him because he had one decent performance in a cup final game for Barnsley against us.

Our lack of goals from the wing was our biggest problem. Everyone likes to blame Bamford, yet he scored 9 from 22, most off the bench. Harrison and Roberts scored 7 between them. We need a winger that will get 10+ as we can't keep relying solely on Pablo.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Its a mistake, Radz has 0 long term strategy and just hopes to get lucky one season so he can cash in after minimal investment.

Doubt we will see much of this spent on the squad same as the 49ers money, will go on covering losses then whats left will go on transfers which is why bargain basement loans are the way.

If ever their was a time to be ambitious that was January, failed then so no reason to expect this summer to be different.

Odd how Villa managed to hold on to Grealish despite being far more financially unstable then us.

Hope to be wrong.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:54 pm Its a mistake, Radz has 0 long term strategy and just hopes to get lucky one season so he can cash in after minimal investment.

Doubt we will see much of this spent on the squad same as the 49ers money, will go on covering losses then whats left will go on transfers which is why bargain basement loans are the way.

If ever their was a time to be ambitious that was January, failed then so no reason to expect this summer to be different.

Odd how Villa managed to hold on to Grealish despite being far more financially unstable then us.

Hope to be wrong.
Completely agree. It's very short termist. At the end of the day, Radz handing out 4 year contracts like confetti raising the wage bill has put us in this position where we have to sell to cover the losses. Now selling a player to spend on overpriced loan fees is appalling management. He will try and blame ffp, when this is all his doing.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The only positive I can see from the sale is that it will give Jordan Stevens a chance hopefully.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:19 pm Completely agree. It's very short termist. At the end of the day, Radz handing out 4 year contracts like confetti raising the wage bill has put us in this position where we have to sell to cover the losses. Now selling a player to spend on overpriced loan fees is appalling management. He will try and blame ffp, when this is all his doing.
Exactly, its all smoke and mirrors.

In the end we are in this position because of him.

Was there any need to hand 4 year contracts and extensions to Connor Shockednessy,Tom Pearce, Eunan O'Kane, Stuart Dallas, Luke Ayling, Liam Cooper, Paudie O'Connor, Gaetano Berardi.

Was there really a cue of teams after them? Thats not mentioning the wasted £s on poor loans and transfers.

Or all those signings for the youth team, it all costs money and raises the wage bill.

Its ok stockpiling youngsters and handing out contracts i if you are Chelsea or Man City but we arent, Chelsea wouldn't have to sell Hudson Odoi to pay for it or City Phil Foden.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:11 pm Exactly, its all smoke and mirrors.

In the end we are in this position because of him.

Was there any need to hand 4 year contracts and extensions to Connor Shockednessy,Tom Pearce, Eunan O'Kane, Stuart Dallas, Luke Ayling, Liam Cooper, Paudie O'Connor, Gaetano Berardi.

Was there really a cue of teams after them? Thats not mentioning the wasted £s on poor loans and transfers.

Or all those signings for the youth team, it all costs money and raises the wage bill.

Its ok stockpiling youngsters and handing out contracts i if you are Chelsea or Man City but we arent, Chelsea wouldn't have to sell Hudson Odoi to pay for it or City Phil Foden.
Exactly. How much money have we lost on their wages, then include the signings and loans under Orta and we've probably spent near £35m-40m on fees and wages, which is barbaric. Especially as the majority of them are nowhere near the first team and we're still relying on the academy and pre Orta signings.

How can we trust this £10m will be invested wisely? We've made 3 good signings under Radz/Orta, Klich, Alioski and Saiz and Saiz will be sold at a loss now.

I'm happy with some youth signings, Bogusz, Stevens, Struijk, Edmondson, Kun, Rey, Spencer, but until they contribute at first team level they are redundant so far.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

I'm not happy about this at all. Once again we sell an upcoming star. It's the same old same old story. Fans divided, some not happy and the others thinking ooh great we have all these millions in the coffers to spend on some great replacements.... never happens. I'm absolutely fed up of us bringing up lads through the academy, they break through into the first team and then we sell them and so the cycle begins again. We should start getting rid of the dross in our team. We need a proven striker, doubt we will get one. We have a brilliant coach, I can see him walking if this trend continues, selling decent players and only bringing in loanees. :evil: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.