The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 26th June)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 26th June)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Phil Hay tweeted yesterday to keep us informed our our loan targets!

Phil Hay‏@PhilHay
They’re still on with the four you know about - Costa, White, Harrison, Kent. Because they’d be loans, all dependent on wishes of other clubs and terms of deals. Buffon rumour is comedy, but you know that.

If you were told at the back end of last season that these four names would be our loanees during the 2019-20 season, and we'd be losing Jack Clarke; how happy would you be on a scale of 1-10?

Ben White has started to follow Kalvin Phillips on social media!

Is that a hint, that the 21yo is on his way to Elland Road?

According to Soccer pundit Noel Whelan, Spurs have made a fresh bid of 12m plus add ons for Jack Clarke.

Thoughts, if true?

Leeds head of medicine Rob Price has been speaking to LUTV about another strenuous summer for the players to once again reach maximum fitness levels for the forthcoming campaign.

“The programme we have put in place is very similar to last year’s to get them to the levels that they were able to achieve in the games,”

“It’s a really well coordinated plan that they go through over the summer programme but we have got to build them in slowly just to make sure that we don’t overload them in these first few days.”

“There’s lots of monitoring that goes on.

“You will see every day that the players will get monitored on how much they have slept, what the muscle soreness is, how they have perceived the session the day before is, what their rate of perceived exertion is and all this is and all that is taken into account to decide whether they can do more the next day.

“But pre-season is a time of overload as well and to get them to be better you actually have to put more into them.

“It’s no good being too light and too easy with them or else you don’t actually get the benefits.”

Thoughts?

Barnsley are poised to swoop for Leeds youngsters Mallik Wilks and Aapo Halme. The talented duo have been on the radar of the Tykes ever since they were promoted.

A Leeds insider was quoted as saying that Leeds would let the duo leave as long as they were able to capture their first choice targets.

Thoughts?
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 26th June)

Post by Genghers »

Of those names, Costa is certainly the most exciting, though Kent did win young player of the season in the SPL. Harrison was here so I'll factor him out, but if we brought in Costa/Kent or both I'd say that's an upgrade (on a purely playing sense) on Clarke. White is an odd one, given the kids we already have, but if he's what Bielsa wants then I'll go with that.

I'll not believe anything to do with transfers until it comes from an official source tbh. However close Wheelan is, he's not part of either club, so won't have all the info.

The club got last year's preseason spot on, so clearly what Price is saying makes sense! I think the in-season management needs looking at, but really its shortcomings were due to the small squad size.

I wouldn't give Barnsley a sniff until we (/Bielsa) have had time to assess them fully. I can see Halme going if White comes in, but that would strike me as a sideways step. Wilks has a great opportunity to prove himself now, but much like Coyle I think this might be his last chance...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

White is a CB?....I see he's only about an inch taller than Beradi.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Genghers, Rob Price is at the top of his field. Most clubs in the Prem would want him. I just hope Leeds have learned their lesson from last season and have a bigger squad by 3 or 4.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:44 am White is a CB?....I see he's only about an inch taller than Beradi.
Morning Faaip, every inch counts!!!! :shock:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Is a Brighton reserve CB, who's been on loan to Peterboro any better than what we have?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

£12m+ for Clarke is an excellent deal imo.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks,

It is all well and good to see the players achieving high levels of fitness so early in the season. If we see a similar number of injuries as last year be sure there will be a lot of difficult questions being asked as a result. I know some may be quick to suggest that the types of injuries our lads were getting werent linked to intense training but when the body is overtired funny things can happen to it.

But while physical fitness is key Bielsas sides have all suffered late season psychological meltdown, how can that be avoided? A larger squad? A cup run to create a feel good factor and shift the focus a bit? I dunno. I wonder if the players who get time away with their respective International sides suffer from it as much. :duno:

I would like to see Costa and Kent come in. No idea about the lad from Brighton and Harrison please no not even as a bench warmer. Maybe Rangers could take him instead of Kent :lol:

It would be a pity to see Halme go as I felt he should have been used as a rotation player last time, I like him, so fair play to him if it is his only chance of regular first team football. As for Wilks, If he has a good pre season then maybe he could be a handy player to keep around.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:58 am Is a Brighton reserve CB, who's been on loan to Peterboro any better than what we have?
MJorning Gessa, you're forgetting.

He only played 15 times for Peterborough
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 am MJorning Gessa, you're forgetting.

He only played 15 times for Peterborough
Even more baffling
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning all!

If you were told at the back end of last season that these four names would be our loanees during the 2019-20 season, and we'd be losing Jack Clarke; how happy would you be on a scale of 1-10?

Anything north of 10mil would be a good price, I think we're resigned to losing him one way or another, so it's a matter of how much we can get for him. He's a good young player with bags of potential but I feel too much was put on him last season. I think Costa alone would be a better choice for the first team in any case and although I've been a harsh critic of Harrison, he did perform better towards the end of the season. If Bielsa has enough faith in him to press so hard for a return then he must see something in Harrison that I don't and I have to respect that.

I don't hold much stock in social media at the best of times but this seems like probably the simplest deal we'll be doing this window. I see folks calling into question White's record but he's a 21 year old CB playing for teams in leagues that rely on experience in those positions as a mantra, no way he was ever going to be used as anything more than a reserve at best.

For those who question his height, see the sweeper system. He's shorter and pacier than Coops and Pontus, which makes him built to chase through balls and catch speedy forwards, a standard element of a possession/attacking team's defence. He'll work much better with Kiko and help us avoid being caught out on the counter - our general Achilles' Heel throughout last season.

I have a strange feeling this White signing might be the dark horse for the season.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Morning all.

I'd loan Wilks and Halme until January and assess how they get on. If they're doing great, bring them back and they will add depth. If they're struggling, let them stay to gain more experience.

These Clarke itks are doing my head in. Scum Sports claiming it's a done deal for £8.5m and now Whelan claiming £12m. I'll await official confirmation.

Wasn't sure on White, but I read Bielsa wanted to sign him last year, so he must have been very impressed given he was new to English football then. Looks like he won't be one of Orta's whack a mole signings, so happy with him. I still would like to see Struijk get a chance too.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Jack Clarke is in North London taking his medical with Spurs.

10m upfront, plus add ons.

If Spurs decide to loan him out, Leeds have first option.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 am Jack Clarke is in North London taking his medical with Spurs.

10m upfront, plus add ons.

If Spurs decide to loan him out, Leeds have first option.
Still far too low, but we're poor negotiators. I wonder how much Harte has made for himself touting our boy around. :roll:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 am Morning all!

Anything north of 10mil would be a good price, I think we're resigned to losing him one way or another, so it's a matter of how much we can get for him. He's a good young player with bags of potential but I feel too much was put on him last season. I think Costa alone would be a better choice for the first team in any case and although I've been a harsh critic of Harrison, he did perform better towards the end of the season. If Bielsa has enough faith in him to press so hard for a return then he must see something in Harrison that I don't and I have to respect that.

I don't hold much stock in social media at the best of times but this seems like probably the simplest deal we'll be doing this window. I see folks calling into question White's record but he's a 21 year old CB playing for teams in leagues that rely on experience in those positions as a mantra, no way he was ever going to be used as anything more than a reserve at best.

For those who question his height, see the sweeper system. He's shorter and pacier than Coops and Pontus, which makes him built to chase through balls and catch speedy forwards, a standard element of a possession/attacking team's defence. He'll work much better with Kiko and help us avoid being caught out on the counter - our general Achilles' Heel throughout last season.

I have a strange feeling this White signing might be the dark horse for the season.

I have no problem with the height, I'm happy with Beradi's height. I think it is an interesting one as Ben seems to get a few assists considering the position he plays and you know they're not in the box knock downs at his height. He may be very good ball at feet and that would be the hope.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:51 am Still far too low, but we're poor negotiators. I wonder how much Harte has made for himself touting our boy around. :roll:
Jack knocked 3-4 mill off his price with his late season form. Finishes the season like James and we get closer to 14 M plus incentives. If we get 10M up front and add ons including a sell on that's very good business. We may have sold Spurs a masterpiece or we may have sold them a fake. It's unclear right now. It's their gamble now.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 am I have no problem with the height, I'm happy with Beradi's height. I think it is an interesting one as Ben seems to get a few assists considering the position he plays and you know they're not in the box knock downs at his height. He may be very good ball at feet and that would be the hope.
Fair enough mate, you know what I mean though when I say that there are plenty of folk who are so used to the EPL doctrine that all CBs have to be Pulis-style Frankensteins that they write someone off because he might win a few less headers (even if the team in question doesn't concede too many goals from those situations).

I've got a feeling that if White is as comfortable on the ball as Jansson, those two may be the perfect compliments to one another, like Ferdinand to Vidic or Gallas to Terry. It's a very necessary signing anyway for the style we play so I'm quite confident he'll be a good fit if he plays well.

Not sure about the assists though. Maybe he was played as a full back?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 am Jack knocked 3-4 mill off his price with his late season form. Finishes the season like James and we get closer to 14 M plus incentives. If we get 10M up front and add ons including a sell on that's very good business. We may have sold Spurs a masterpiece or we may have sold them a fake. It's unclear right now. It's their gamble now.
A gamble they can afford to take given how much they receive in tv money. £10m for them is like £500k for us, a punt. If it works out, it works out, if not then it isn't much money. Another issue is if we loan him back and then go up, we've lost him forever and on the cheap. How much of this £10m will be wasted? If we didn't waste money on shite, we wouldn't have to sell our young talent all the time.

The date of the deal and the low fee suggests they're worried about the 18/19 accounts and the fee will count towards last season's. Don't expect to see any new signings before Monday, as it is a new account year from 1 July.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

LUFCDATA

Jack Clarke's career at Leeds:

25 matches
290 passes
107 final third passes
75.9% pass accuracy
56 duels won
33 ball recoveries
28 crosses
27/48 take-ons
18 shots
17 chances created
10 blocks
9 tackles won
6 shots on-target
4 crosses
2 goals
2 assists
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Looks like Lewie Coyle is on his way to Wigan