The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 25th June)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 25th June)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds target Mohamed Diame has signed for Al Gharafa.

The 32yo midfielder was released from Newcastle, therefor available on a free transfer.

Diame will earn £100,000 a week over the next two years!

Does there need to be a salary limit on Soccer players?

Will it benefit football?

Website Arabian Business have released an article saying that German bank Deutsche Bank “is helping Qatar raise money to buy a top European club” and has received this news via the ubiquitous ‘source close to the deal’.

Assuming the club is Leeds, why would Qatar need a bank loan?

Defensive Midfielder Ander Iturraspe is open to a move to Leeds United this summer.

The 30-year-old has been released Athletic Bilbao and the word is, he is keen to link back up with Bielsa.

Do Leeds need another defensive midfielder?
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 25th June)

Post by Genghers »

I'm not sure about a salary cap for players, but maybe for clubs. That would keep the average down, but allow for 1 or 2 on big wages.

With Iturraspe I think it depends on Forshaw. If he stays then we'll need another player who can play close to Phillips' role and he'd definitely buy into the work that needs doing to play for Bielsa.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We have 2 DMF's right now, different types. A box to box player in Forshaw and a converted AMF who sits deeper in Phillips. Both appear to have a good chance at not being here next season. We'd need to replace what we allow to leave

Both by the way are good championship players, Phillips is still learning the role and Forshaw, like a few others, struggled with consistency in an injury hit season (I think he had 2 or 3 absences) I think Leeds fans don't like Forshaw because he's a threat to Phillips the local lad...I get the bias but I don't have it myself.

If we do get a DMF in then I would assume one of our two is on his way out.

No idea why QVC would want a bank loan unless it benefits them financially somehow.

Never at any point did I hear we were linked with the ex-Newcastle player..the last one we got from them worked out well didn't he.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:04 am
Both by the way are good championship players, Phillips is still learning the role and Forshaw, like a few others, struggled with consistency in an injury hit season (I think he had 2 or 3 absences) I think Leeds fans don't like Forshaw because he's a threat to Phillips the local lad...I get the bias but I don't have it myself.
Forshaw is injury prone, gets caught out of position defensively far too often, no threat whatsoever in an attacking sense even when he's pushed forward, minimum assists & no goals

Phillips is twice the player Forshaw will ever be, that's why there are £20m bids on the table for our young star, defensively superior, passes the ball well especially into the flanks, assists & has an eye for goals as long he isn't shooting from distance :lol:

First time I've seen Leeds shirts here in St Ives, two fans i encountered individually & both season-tickets holders whom watch Leeds home & away, one lives in Swannie's city Wakefield. First name on their lips was Phillips saying he was outstanding last season, funny enough both were critical of Cooper, Bamford & Forshaw :)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Genghers wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:08 am I'm not sure about a salary cap for players, but maybe for clubs. That would keep the average down, but allow for 1 or 2 on big wages.

With Iturraspe I think it depends on Forshaw. If he stays then we'll need another player who can play close to Phillips' role and he'd definitely buy into the work that needs doing to play for Bielsa.
Morning Genghers, probably, the biggest problem we have is the gulf in financial support from the league between the Premiership and the Championship.

I dare say any Championship team in the top 6 could give most clubs in the bottom half of the table a fair game.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:04 am We have 2 DMF's right now, different types. A box to box player in Forshaw and a converted AMF who sits deeper in Phillips. Both appear to have a good chance at not being here next season. We'd need to replace what we allow to leave

If we do get a DMF in then I would assume one of our two is on his way out.

No idea why QVC would want a bank loan unless it benefits them financially somehow.

Never at any point did I hear we were linked with the ex-Newcastle player..the last one we got from them worked out well didn't he.
Morning Faaip, I'm told by a lot of people that Forshaw is a lot better than people give him credit for - but I just do't get it!!!

If we can get 3.5m for him, I'd be ecstatic...

We got Fish from the Barcodes.

He was probably one of the best left backs in the old second division back then. Shame about his injury...
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:43 am First time I've seen Leeds shirts here in St Ives, two fans i encountered individually & both season-tickets holders whom watch Leeds home & away, one lives in Swannie's city Wakefield. First name on their lips was Phillips saying he was outstanding last season, funny enough both were critical of Cooper, Bamford & Forshaw :)
Why is this a good thing??

Cooper got into the Championship team of the season, so once again I think it's a case of our fans wanting a boo boy. Cooper had one of his most consistent seasons in a Leeds shirt and, though I don't think he's going to improve much from here, he's definitely a starter for next year.

Bamford and Forshaw are unfairly maligned, too. Don't think we saw the best of Bamford due to injuries, but he still scored important goals and gas more to contribute. I don't think that Forshaw should replace Phillips, but he's a good option to have.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:43 am Forshaw is injury prone, gets caught out of position defensively far too often, no threat whatsoever in an attacking sense even when he's pushed forward, minimum assists & no goals

Phillips is twice the player Forshaw will ever be, that's why there are £20m bids on the table for our young star, defensively superior, passes the ball well especially into the flanks, assists & has an eye for goals as long he isn't shooting from distance :lol:

First time I've seen Leeds shirts here in St Ives, two fans i encountered individually & both season-tickets holders whom watch Leeds home & away, one lives in Swannie's city Wakefield. First name on their lips was Phillips saying he was outstanding last season, funny enough both were critical of Cooper, Bamford & Forshaw :)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:43 am Forshaw is injury prone, gets caught out of position defensively far too often, no threat whatsoever in an attacking sense even when he's pushed forward, minimum assists & no goals

Morning Leon, Bamford certainly needs a good start to the season, otherwise I can see the Leeds fans on his back.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

But they conveniently forget Phillips also played a lot of poor passes out of defence, often ambled back once easily beaten an was often out of position himself including getting in the keepers way for one of the Derby goals.

Again until the player is sold for 20 Mill he isn't worth that, your buying into the agents narrative when you don't do it elsewhere, that's bias.....IF....he does go for 15 mill plus it'll be down to age and potential, young will always cost more.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 am Morning Faaip, I'm told by a lot of people that Forshaw is a lot better than people give him credit for - but I just do't get it!!!
If we can get 3.5m for him, I'd be ecstatic...
I'd be over the moon if we got anywhere near the £4.5m we paid for Forshaw, a poor signing who offers us nothing much above average, one fantastic game v Derby (MOTM) is unconvincing for me. You can forget any ambitions of promotion if AF is our DM next season or regular member of our first-team squad, he won't be anyway as he'll be injured for a large chunk of the season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:16 am But they conveniently forget Phillips also played a lot of poor passes out of defence, often ambled back once easily beaten an was often out of position himself including getting in the keepers way for one of the Derby goals.

Again until the player is sold for 20 Mill he isn't worth that, your buying into the agents narrative when you don't do it elsewhere, that's bias.....IF....he does go for 15 mill plus it'll be down to age and potential, young will always cost more.
The reason Phillips & the likes of Jansson & Pablo (if he was 5 years younger) would leave our club is because they are our three most valuable assets due to their performances noted by the premiership elite.

The only clubs who'd be interested in Forshaw are our championship rivals
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We're never going to agree ...I won't be able to penetrate the bias. If Phillips stays and has a bad season next season then I'd imagine we'll get calls of "not good enough get rid again like we did last season. Especially if he has to contend with niggly injuries like Forshaw did all season.

It's all he's (insert any player here) absolutely fantastic or he absolute s**t with fans isn't it...there's never any middle ground or good reason for a drop of form. It's Black or White.

I think Phillips is a good player we need to keep him until we can't and he has a very good chance at improving next season, understanding the role better. He wasn't god last season and when you mention the name the first thing I think of is how Che Adams made him look bad. Turned him, left him for dead on a few occasions.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Joe Atherton
@joetmatherton
· 5h
Replying to @PhilHay_ @walshant1
I can’t wait that long Phil 😔 can you not give us updates before then?

Phil Hay
@PhilHay_
they’re still on with the four you know about - Costa, White, Harrison, Kent. Because they’d be loans, all dependent on wishes of other clubs and terms of deals. Buffon rumour is comedy, but you know that.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield to face retrial over gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool fans

David Duckenfield will face a retrial over the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool fans at Hillsborough.

Judge Sir Peter Openshaw made the ruling at Preston Crown Court on Tuesday following a hearing on Monday.

A 10-week trial in April ended with the jury being discharged after failing to reach a verdict, and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) sought a retrial.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:47 pm I'd be over the moon if we got anywhere near the £4.5m we paid for Forshaw, a poor signing who offers us nothing much above average, one fantastic game v Derby (MOTM) is unconvincing for me. You can forget any ambitions of promotion if AF is our DM next season or regular member of our first-team squad, he won't be anyway as he'll be injured for a large chunk of the season.
£3m plus £ 1.5m in add ons if we went up. So still £3m then.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:21 pm

It's all he's (insert any player here) absolutely fantastic or he absolute s**t with fans isn't it...there's never any middle ground or good reason for a drop of form. It's Black or White.

Never has a truer word been spoken.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Adam Forshaw needs a pink ballet tutu from the amount of pirouetting he does. He is as predictable as Jack Clarke

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk