Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by 1964white »

Today's player

Patrick Bamford

Retain as one of strikers next season ?

Retain as a bench player ?

Move on ?

Rating out of 10 last season
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by The Subhuman »

Retain as a striker - yes absolutely, struggled with injury, never really got a good chance to settle into the Bielsa system. Will be much better if he gets a pre-season and stays fit.

Retain as a bench player, yes - We ain't getting our money back as his value would have dropped.

Move on? No

Rating 5.5
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

Same as he said ( cop out I know, but it sums my thoughts up) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Keep Bamford, I am confident of two things.

1. If he stays fit he average a goal every other game and
2. He will always be criticised by a lot of the fan base because of his languid approach.

It will be up to the guys around him to contribute to the goals tally if we are to get into the top two next season.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Yes

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Retain as striker for next season for me.

He had a terrible time with 2 nasty injuries and still scored at one of the better rates in the league.

Remember when Chris Wood got dogs abuse in his first season.

Next season he was the golden boy.

Arise Lord Bamford.

6/10
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Keep. An injury free season and hopefully he'll have a bigger impact.

Think it's a toss up between him and Roofe for the starting position, but based on last season he's bench for me.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:04 am Keep. An injury free season and hopefully he'll have a bigger impact.

Think it's a toss up between him and Roofe for the starting position, but based on last season he's bench for me.

They are two completely different players which I'd imagine causes some issues. Roofe the consummate off the ball striker, at his best dragging defenders out of position and using burst and clever feet to leave them for dead. You have to pass to the space for him so clearly demonstrated by the pass of the season from Harrison in the playoffs.

Bamford is an on the ball/ball at feet striker. Best when the ball gets played directly to his feet, he's very good with back to goal and can hold the ball up well for others to arrive. That's a little easier to defend as he doesn't have the pace to break coverage and so will usually have a defender very close, but very dangerous around the box.

Because they're so different it means we have to alter thinking in game on the fly when one is subbed for the other.

Bit like having a scrambling QB starting for your American football team but the back up being a pure pocket passer. It's one of the reasons why we struggled after making the sub one to the other in whichever direction.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:15 am They are two completely different players which I'd imagine causes some issues. Roofe the consummate off the ball striker, at his best dragging defenders out of position and using burst and clever feet to leave them for dead. You have to pass to the space for him so clearly demonstrated by the pass of the season from Harrison in the playoffs.

Bamford is an on the ball/ball at feet striker. Best when the ball gets played directly to his feet, he's very good with back to goal and can hold the ball up well for others to arrive. That's a little easier to defend as he doesn't have the pace to break coverage and so will usually have a defender very close, but very dangerous around the box.

Because they're so different it means we have to alter thinking in game on the fly when one is subbed for the other.

Bit like having a scrambling QB starting for your American football team but the back up being a pure pocket passer. It's one of the reasons why we struggled after making the sub one to the other in whichever direction.
Great analogy.

If he was more mobile, I wouldn't mind Bamford playing in behind Roofe. Holds the ball up well, so could bring Klich in well, but with Roofe's movement he'd also have more space to work with.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Bamford has the talent , but I'd question his contribution and character so much especially in biggies that are so important that he wouldn't be an automatic.
Retain him yes for sure ..hope he takes his opportunities & stays focused enough to give Beisla an headache ,whether to start him or not.
If he starts and finds real early form he can be a very valuable player for us.
Rating last season 7.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Retain. Took dog's abuse last season, but was the lad ever fully fit? His languid style means he looks lazy but, evidenced by that screamer MB hugged him for in training, he can finish. If he can stay fit, then we have two very decent, and different, strikers in him and Roofe.

Very stop-start season, 6.5
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

If we signed a top goalscorer this summer I would still retain Bamford & Roofe as I do believe we need three strikers. There were times last season when we had no match-fit striker or game-changer off the bench to call upon. Two reasons why we failed last season
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Gonna have to keep as no one will buy him based on last season and especially the last 6 or so games

Bench yes definitely

Rating for season 5 at a push
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I didn't score him - think he was good enough for a 7. Double digit goals in limited appearances is impressive. If he had Roofe's pace he'd be worth 20M
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 pm I didn't score him - think he was good enough for a 7. Double digit goals in limited appearances is impressive. If he had Roofe's pace he'd be worth 20M
I think he is faster than he appeared to be last season. I don't think he ever felt fully confident after his injuries so hopefully this season he will be at 100% both physically and with the mental side of it too as he will be confident in his own body.

I would definitely retain as one of our two strikers, I think he has the ability to get 30+ goals in this team.

Last season 7/10 his goal return in an injury hit season was excellent - although some fans seem to want to focus more on the misses.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:14 pm I think he is faster than he appeared to be last season. I don't think he ever felt fully confident after his injuries so hopefully this season he will be at 100% both physically and with the mental side of it too as he will be confident in his own body.
You could easily be right, didn't pay any attention to Bamford pre- Leeds so only have last seasons to go on. Recovering from bad injury is all about trust in the repair, (you often hear running backs say they they didn't trust their ACL/MCL repair even 2 years after injury..) so with a full preseason he will hopefully find an extra yard in pace. I like him as a player and I don't think we need new strikers with him/Roofe and a pair of very promising U23's in Kun and Edmondson who looks like he'll be very Chris Wood like in a couple of seasons.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would love Roofe playing off Bamford in a two up front but we'd need better in defence and at DMF (or we need Phillips to continue to grow, which I think he can) I can't see MB ever going 442 but 352 is a possibility
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:23 pm Would love Roofe playing off Bamford in a two up front but we'd need better in defence and at DMF (or we need Phillips to continue to grow, which I think he can) I can't see MB ever going 442 but 352 is a possibility
Been saying this to my local Leeds social media group, I think that could definitely work. PB holds the ball up well and brings others into the game. With Roofe's pace and movement, I can see that being very productive.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Retain as one of strikers next season ?

10 (all)

7/10 (as far as I can gather)

Move on ?

None