The Early #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 24th June)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The Early #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 24th June)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Evening / Morning Everyone

Are we lagging behind other Championship clubs when it comes to transfers?

There have been 18 transfers so far in the Championship, with a total of 4.7 mil spent.

The only bargain transfers that stands out to me is West Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield snapping up centre half Tommy Elphick on a free transfer and highly rated youngster Reece Brown from Forest Green which will be settled by tribuneral.

Both players have been linked to Leeds in the past, most recently Brown, though with Leeds leaking goals like a sieve, surely an experienced centre back on a free transfer would be beneficial?

Thoughts?

For the last few seasons Liam Cooper has been Leeds Captain!

Is he Captain material?

Does the Captain need to take some responsibility for Leeds collapse when the going got difficult during the last 10 games of the season?

Is Cooper good enough to play?

Over the weekend, Leeds were linked to 41 yo Italian goal keeping legend Gianluigi Buffon.

Although the former Juventus veteran is not on 4m Euro's a year anymore, he'd be well out of Leeds grasps.

According to David Anderson of the Mirror, a year keeper is well down on Bielsa's wish list.

Does Casilla deserve a vote of confidence?

Sun Journo Alan Nixon claims that Leeds are monitoring the availability of West Ham forward Jordan Hugill.

The 27yo need six times in 37 appearances whilst on loan at Boro last season.

West Ham are desperate to get the former Preston man off their books, and will consider both a loan or a nominal transfer fee.

Thoughts?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Early #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 24th June)

Post by Cjay »

We arent "behind" as such but MB likes his signings in early and in that sense we are. Phil Hay said a while back that MB would like a few in before pre season (which is tomorrow) so in that sense yes we are behind.

Cooper.
Captain material- No, he is in the sense the players like him but he is far to panicky when it counts, i blame him for the playoff semi defeat more then anyone else.

Good enough for the bench, shouldn't be a starter, how he has played so many matches baffles me but hey ho. He shouldn't have got in the EFL team of the year lets be honest.

As great as signing Buffon would be it was never going to happen.

Perfectly happy to start with Kiko in goal.

Not Hugill again, what teams see in him i dont know, a striker who hardly scores.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Cjay,

I completely agree with you about Cooper and the play off goal. 00 percent Cooper had the opportunity to boot the ball into row Z or even push the ball to his left where Berardi and Ayling were.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Ellandback1 wrote:Morning Cjay,

I completely agree with you about Cooper and the play off goal. 00 percent Cooper had the opportunity to boot the ball into row Z or even push the ball to his left where Berardi and Ayling were.
Not forgetting the needless penalty given away.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 am Not forgetting the needless penalty given away.

Morning BGW

Looking back on them, I can't think of one penalty that was worth giving away i.e It looked certain opposition would score...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning everyone.

So we bring in a Buffon to replace a Buffoon... More money down the drain imo.

Coop isnt captain material, last season showed that up, in fact he isnt a big game player.

Is he good enough to play? Yes, I think he will Improve this season. But he needs to lose the armband. Not sure who to though...
While some of us are eager for transfer news it isnt as if we have missed out on any players, not yet anyway.
I dont expect much. We have fo get shot of a few first.

Hugill. No thanks. Stick with Bamford, Roofe and use Roberts as a rotation forward. Cheap as chips.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Ian,

Its fair to say Cooper had his best season last term.

Would he have had it, had he not been partnered with Jansson?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He may have had a better season had Beradi played all season, not sure Coop/PJ is a good partnership. I've always said Coop is not a captain.

Don't see the point in a one yr keeper however good or old

No interest in Hugil, not in Roofe's or Bamford's class
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

I honestly thought a signing or two would be wrapped up by now as MB likes his players to have the full pre-season with him.
I sincerely hope the wheels are in motion behind the scenes to bring a couple of players in, I guess the next couple of weeks will tell us more.
I'm sure Bielsa saw players in the championship last season who he would love to sign but it's a question of whether we can get them.

More than anything I hope a new CB is on Bielsa's agenda as Cooper is too much of liability to be a regular starter.
I said very early in the season that his shirt pulling would cost us a least one penalty, little did I know it would be in such a crucial game.
He got away with it no end of times during the season but it caught up with him in the end.
I'd have Luke Ayling as captain.

Buffon coming to us was a load of nonsense - enough said.

Jordan Hugill had one good season at Preston but he's no better than what we've got so signing him would be pointless.
So we probably will.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Ellandback1 wrote: Morning BGW

Looking back on them, I can't think of one penalty that was worth giving away i.e It looked certain opposition would score...
I think the Derby penalty was a panic reaction. Cooper didn't have any time to weigh up the situation and leeds were really under the cosh as well. Thats the only defence i have for him but in any case he is generally clumsy and under pressure he normally makes mistakes.

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 am Morning All,

I honestly thought a signing or two would be wrapped up by now as MB likes his players to have the full pre-season with him.
I sincerely hope the wheels are in motion behind the scenes to bring a couple of players in, I guess the next couple of weeks will tell us more.
I'm sure Bielsa saw players in the championship last season who he would love to sign but it's a question of whether we can get them.

More than anything I hope a new CB is on Bielsa's agenda as Cooper is too much of liability to be a regular starter.
I said very early in the season that his shirt pulling would cost us a least one penalty, little did I know it would be in such a crucial game.
He got away with it no end of times during the season but it caught up with him in the end.
I'd have Luke Ayling as captain.

Buffon coming to us was a load of nonsense - enough said.

Jordan Hugill had one good season at Preston but he's no better than what we've got so signing him would be pointless.
So we probably will.

Chilli
Morning Chilli, I like Ayling. I just hope he has a better season than last!!!
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning lads and lasses,

The more time that passes without a confirmed first team-quality signing, the more my anxiety grows over whether Bielsa will tolerate what might end up being broken promises - and he doesn't tolerate them for a moment. My biggest fear is that despite the way forward being so straightforward and clear cut for once, we just spin our wheels in the mud and all the gains we've made over the past season will come to nothing.

I can only assume that much is going on behind the scenes, unreported by media outlets, and that measures are being put into place. I'm sure youth will play an even bigger part of our season after the U23s unprecedented success. I can't help but feel that while there are players Bielsa would love to sign, he hasn't put all his eggs in the transfer basket.

Cooper was, on the whole, a very good performer and the stats bear him out on that. However, numbers never tell the full story and his errors always seemed to come at the worst possible time. Jansson is the better player overall, far more comfortable and strong on the ball and better with his feet. Perhaps a shorter, pacier defender like Ben White to act as sweeper (a role Cooper failed in and cost us big time when it mattered) to pair with Pontus would be just the ticket. As such, despite his obvious hard work and dedication, I can only see Cooper's role diminishing as time goes on. He was a good captain in a mediocre team; we need a very good captain in a good team.

As said already, Buffon's wages, even trimmed down, would eat up our entire budget. Unless Bilesa personally called him to persuade him into some sort of charity Championship outreach programme to help poor Leeds into the EPL and coach our youths along the way, I can't see this news being anywhere near credible.

As Chilli said, Hugill's been dining out on a decent season at Preston for a while now. In real terms, not an upgrade on what we already have striker-wise.