Helder Costa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: Helder Costa

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:56 pm But i suspect unfortunately Jansson will fund this :(

Why the inital year long loan then?

If he was selling Jannson to fund this why delay payment by a year?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:11 pm Why the inital year long loan then?

Because it will cover the costs for ffp accounts I presume. Jansson has a £14.8m release clause, make of that what you will....
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

[/i]
YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:11 pm Why the inital year long loan then?

Saves on a year of what i imagine are substantial wages which would add another couple of million to the wage bill id assume.

Gives the club 12 months to find the funding, after all maybe Jansson will refuse ?

Also it would go into a separate financial period wouldn't it, next years accounts rather then this years.

Radz isnt the sort of owner to spend £15mil on a player from his own pocket (not a dig just a fact) so something has to happen and a sale seems most likely?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:13 pm Because it will cover the costs for ffp accounts I presume. Jansson has a £14.8m release clause, make of that what you will....
Does he?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We are run properly
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Genghers wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 pmDoes he?
According to Calciomercato when they said Benfica were interested. Jansson signed from Italy so no reason why they might not have sources.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:15 pm We are run properly
We wouldn't have lost £15m last season if we were.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

SG90 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:19 pm We wouldn't have lost £15m last season if we were.

Have you seen other teams finances?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Wouldn't Helder Costa be our second biggest signing after Rio? I really can't see us spending that much on one player if we don't go up, especially with ffp. I think there is probably a get out clause if we don't go up.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 pm Have you seen other teams finances?
None of them have anywhere near the turnover and commercial income we do.

Also on a whole, they are all poorly run too. As are the majority of the PL clubs. There's a major bubble waiting to burst. I just hope it doesn't end up being us again.
Precisely why I don't want a sugar daddy throwing money around, but want us to be well run off our own backs.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We are well run off our own backs ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:38 pm We are well run off our own backs ...
At the moment we are, but made far too many mistakes two years ago that we're still paying for. A £15m loss should be a huge wake up call, but if we're splashing out £15m on a player regardless of division, it suggests not.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

meh, brand new ownership, steep learning curve..IIRC A lot of those signings were lapped up by LUFC fans. "Vernon Anita was really good for Newcastle last season" for one.

Seems a bit hypocritical and heavy uses of hindsight are needed to come to the conclusion that money was wasted
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:03 pm meh, brand new ownership, steep learning curve..IIRC A lot of those signings were lapped up by LUFC fans. "Vernon Anita was really good for Newcastle last season" for one.

Seems a bit hypocritical and heavy uses of hindsight are needed to come to the conclusion that money was wasted
I remember at the time thinking a 4 year contract for a 29 year old was pretty silly. As I said when we signed Kiko.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Great deal on paper, some good business so far this window
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Good to see us signing players from the Premiership
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:07 pm I remember at the time thinking a 4 year contract for a 29 year old was pretty silly. As I said when we signed Kiko.
The trouble is that Anita was a free agent so instead of there being say a £2m transfer fee he knows he can ask for a decent contract. Say 4 years at £15k per week as an example (I have no idea how much he is on) then that equates to £3m - same as paying £2m for him and giving him a 2 year contract on £10k per week.

Similarly with Kiko. I presume we agreed to taking over his contract instead of there being a fee involved. So whilst he may be on a decent wage we haven't had to pay a transfer fee.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

I would say Anita seemed like a fairly decent bit of business at the time. Experienced and versatile player at face value byt hasn't lived up to expectations.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:18 pm According to Calciomercato when they said Benfica were interested. Jansson signed from Italy so no reason why they might not have sources.
They have nothing to do with our club though? Don't imagine that release clauses are common at this level as you'll lose good players all the time. £14m isn't much to a top division club.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:02 am I would say Anita seemed like a fairly decent bit of business at the time. Experienced and versatile player at face value byt hasn't lived up to expectations.
Exactly. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. He came in when experience was lacking in the squad, too.

Perhaps a 4 year deal is too long for someone his age, but had he been excellent (like Hernandez), we wouldn't worry about his age.