The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 7th June)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 7th June)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Is Peacock Farrell on his way out of Elland Road?

Speaking from the Northern Ireland camp, the 22yo was quoted as saying the following:-

“If I stay at Leeds I’ll be staying at Leeds to play. The two scenarios would probably be I’m staying at Leeds and I’m playing or I’ll have to be elsewhere I think.”

If the rumours are true, Leeds are open to the idea of parting with Casilla, who lets be truthful has not justified his 30k a week contract, but should this happen, is Peacock Farrell ready for the number 1 jersey?

We know that his shot stopping is good, but distribution and defending free kicks are most certainly questionable!

Thoughts?

Bielsa has flown out to France to have his say on what is needed over the Summer to ensure promotion!

Speaking to the press, former player Noel Whelan said the following:-

“If there is some kind of investment, that is a very promising sign for Marcelo Bielsa. He wouldn’t be in Doha unless it was to discuss players.

That is encouraging for Leeds and everyone connected with the club. PSG should have some really exciting young players, and others surplus to requirements, who we can sign on loan.

Mr Bielsa has an excellent track record in terms of developing players and he needs more quality players for next season. Derby invested well in loan signings last summer and Leeds need to do the same if there isn’t the money there for expensive permanent signings.”

Pick one former midfielder from each of the last decades.

So, one from the 80's, one from the 90's, one from the 00's and one from the last 9 years.

Who would get into your midfield?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 7th June)

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt & all

Easy & quite simply the best from those era's although I seriously considered James Milner too

80's

Strachan

90's

McAllister

Delph

2010/19

Hernandez
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

I'd have to go

Strachan
Batty
Decourt
Cook
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:41 am Good Morning Everyone

Is Peacock Farrell on his way out of Elland Road?

Speaking from the Northern Ireland camp, the 22yo was quoted as saying the following:-

“If I stay at Leeds I’ll be staying at Leeds to play. The two scenarios would probably be I’m staying at Leeds and I’m playing or I’ll have to be elsewhere I think.”

If the rumours are true, Leeds are open to the idea of parting with Casilla, who lets be truthful has not justified his 30k a week contract, but should this happen, is Peacock Farrell ready for the number 1 jersey?

We know that his shot stopping is good, but distribution and defending free kicks are most certainly questionable!

Thoughts?

Bielsa has flown out to France to have his say on what is needed over the Summer to ensure promotion!

Speaking to the press, former player Noel Whelan said the following:-

“If there is some kind of investment, that is a very promising sign for Marcelo Bielsa. He wouldn’t be in Doha unless it was to discuss players.

That is encouraging for Leeds and everyone connected with the club. PSG should have some really exciting young players, and others surplus to requirements, who we can sign on loan.

Mr Bielsa has an excellent track record in terms of developing players and he needs more quality players for next season. Derby invested well in loan signings last summer and Leeds need to do the same if there isn’t the money there for expensive permanent signings.”

Pick one former midfielder from each of the last decades.

So, one from the 80's, one from the 90's, one from the 00's and one from the last 9 years.

Who would get into your midfield?
Not sure why everyones got such a hard on over Derbys loan players last season? Lest we forget that we finished well above them in the table and schooled them for about 80% of the time we played them for. We lost concentration for 20 mins in the second semi final and it cost us. On all 4 occassions at what point did any of their loan players stand out as significantly better than what we had?
Wilson looked handy over the season id say thats about it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What beat us last season was seldom the opposition..We got beat by severe injuries and just plain stupid defensive errors.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I had a look at some PSG youth we could perhaps get on loan:
Stanley Nsoki - LB/CB so versatility would help. Powerful and quick, so should suit the Championship well.
Loic Mbe Soh - CB. 18 yo but playing at the Toulon tournament. Quick, good at one on ones and can carry the ball out of defence. Good threat from set pieces as well.
Moussa Diaby - LW. Far too good for the Championship really, but if we're linking with them we need quality loans.
Timothy Weah - striker. As with Diaby, but I'd definitely take him.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 am What beat us last season was seldom the opposition..We got beat by severe injuries and just plain stupid defensive errors.
Something a lot of people keep ignoring. When were we outplayed? Even against West Brom, they just sat back and hit us on the break. It's not like they dominated us.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Best team I saw against us was Swansea first time around ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 am What beat us last season was seldom the opposition..We got beat by severe injuries and just plain stupid defensive errors.
I said to my mates around me at Derby that the only way we'll not win this game would be if we beat ourselves, didn't happen at Pride Park but certainly came to fruition in the 2nd leg. Those type of lapses not only cost us automatic promotion but in the play-offs too!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:08 am Something a lot of people keep ignoring. When were we outplayed? Even against West Brom, they just sat back and hit us on the break. It's not like they dominated us.
Brentford & Stoke aways.

Hull & Wigan at ER, the Latics were all over us especially when they were down to ten men. Not great v Norwich at home as well

We were awful v Birmingham (twice), QPR & Ipswich
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:13 am Best team I saw against us was Swansea first time around ...
Although we had no Pontus or Cooper playing that night with Phillips pulled off too, McBurnie had a field day :(
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 am Brentford & Stoke aways.

Hull & Wigan at ER, the Latics were all over us especially when they were down to ten men. Not great v Norwich at home as well

Exactly, we beat ourselves...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 am Brentford & Stoke aways.

On what planet did Hull and Wigan dominate us? They scored with their only shots on goal on the counter and had ten in the box for the rest of the game.

Norwich we were comfortably on top at 0-1, then they got another deflection for the 2nd just before half time and left us flat for the second half.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not sure what is worse, blowing the auto places, falling apart second leg of the playoffs or the probability QVC is taking over. I bounced back well from the first two but the QVC thing is getting me down ... Similar feeling when GFH were said to be buying us..
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Would agree fully that we were the only team that beat us. A bit of bad luck at times, bad defending/keeping and inability to take a reasonable amount of the chances we created. That plus the constant disruption with injuries. That is why I have such optimism for this season as last season we had all that to compete with as well as the players getting used to a new way of playing. This summer Bielsa will know which players can't do it and hopefully replace them.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:04 am On what planet did Hull and Wigan dominate us? They scored with their only shots on goal on the counter and had ten in the box for the rest of the game.

Norwich we were comfortably on top at 0-1, then they got another deflection for the 2nd just before half time and left us flat for the second half.
No excuses for feeling flat in the 2nd half of any game as we did quite a few times over the season, it's time to roll your sleeves up & get on with it if you wish to be successful

We never look like winning those three games as we huffed & puffed for much of the time.

Hull & Wigan were commanding at the back & yes they caught us on the break & took their chances, something we were incapable of in far too many games

All three were better than us on the day. We were embarrassing v Wigan the day our season was over imo! I felt depressed after that game just as much as the 2nd leg fiasco v Derby

We got hammered by Brentford again & then somehow contrive to lose the game at Ipswich

All those games showed our vulnerabilities & weaknesses, the very reasons why Norwich & the Blunts went up whilst we failed miserably
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:35 pm No excuses for feeling flat in the 2nd half of any game as we did quite a few times over the season, it's time to roll your sleeves up & get on with it if you wish to be successful

We never look like winning those three games as we huffed & puffed for much of the time.

Hull & Wigan were commanding at the back & yes they caught us on the break & took their chances, something we were incapable of in far too many games

All three were better than us on the day. We were embarrassing v Wigan the day our season was over imo! I felt depressed after that game just as much as the 2nd leg fiasco v Derby

We got hammered by Brentford again & then somehow contrive to lose the game at Ipswich

All those games showed our vulnerabilities & weaknesses, the very reasons why Norwich & the Blunts went up whilst we failed miserably
In none of those games were we dominated or outplayed, poor finishing by us and poor defending by us gifting them goals were our ultimate undoing. Which plays into the "we beat ourselves" narrative.