The brunch (as we've missed Brekkie) Debate

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The brunch (as we've missed Brekkie) Debate

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Folks

As we now know Qatar Sports Investments, a group backed by the Qatari state want to acquire shares in Leeds Utd, but Radrizzani is loathed to sell.

I suppose I can see his point. He bought Leeds Utd almost 18 months ago when Leeds were not the golden goose they are now. He has spent a lot of time and money from the foundations upwards to steer the good ship Leeds Utd out of choppy waters.

Now that others have realised that there is money to be made, why share the profits especially when a lot of the hard work has been done?

Answer - Rad does not have the financial clout to compete with the Villa's and Derby's of this World!!!

Leeds fans all over social media are venting their displeasure towards Leeds Chairman Andrea Radrizzani.

Do they have a point or just hoping the grass is greener on the other side?

Villa play Derby this afternoon. If you had to pick one of them to go up, who would it be?

Personally, I am dumbfounded that both teams have not been the subject of Financial fair play!!!

Boro have added Lee Bowyer to their Managerial shortlist!

Thoughts?

Derby are making a 10m bid for on loan striker Harry Wilson, whether they get promoted or not!!!

Surely too cheap, especially if Citeh expect Leeds to pay 20m for Harrison!
Last edited by Ellandback1 on Mon May 27, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The brunch (as we've missed Brekkie) Debate

Post by The Subhuman »

Didn't we beat Derby 3 times and Villa twice? Hows that not competing ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:53 am Didn't we beat Derby 3 times and Villa twice? Hows that not competing ?
Morning Faaip

We couldn't last the distance.

We didn't strengthen in January.

Our squad was too small.

Both teams had far far far better loanee's than us!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

@MirrorAnderson
Andrea Radrizzani is not selling up at Leeds and will remain in charge for next season at least. #lufc
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 am @MirrorAnderson
Andrea Radrizzani is not selling up at Leeds and will remain in charge for next season at least. #lufc
Anderson is one of the more reliable journo's.

Is he saying - last throw of the dice?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:06 am Anderson is one of the more reliable journo's.

Is he saying - last throw of the dice?
He is saying delusional Italian knows that he has a potential goldmine on his hands if he can get them promoted, Radz is taking a huge risk for the sake of his ego and bank balance.

Radz loves the prestige and publicity which doesnt help.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I can see Radz's point of view, i can see the majority of the fans view to. Radz has hardly inspired confidence with his "difficult summer" comments, he says we are "on the verge of something special", unfortunately we WERE, that ended a few weeks ago and now we start again.

If he turns down the PSG lot then starts selling players of, even just one first team player he is opening himself up to huge criticism, he has to be very careful now this is in the public domain, Leeds fans wont take kindly to stubbornness and arrogance standing in the way of progress.

Villa for me.

Harry Wilson wont go anywhere, £30mil if Harrison is £20m
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

We couldn't last the distance.

We played pretty damn well in the 47th League match of our season. Also our 45th. If you gift opposition goals, like we did v Derby, it doesn't matter if it is game 1 or game 50 or whether you are playing Dog & Duck F.C. or Barcelona.

This has been done to a death. We had 2 positions that needed strengthening and we got a keeper in and but for the Dan James situation we would have strengthened both. We went for 2 really good acquisitions instead of just going for anyone that was available.

Our squad was too small.

In hindsight yes but did any other team have the amount of injuries we had? A normal amount of injuries and the squad size was fine. From day one Bielsa wanted a small squad being supplemented by the U23s. A bigger squad and we don't get to see the emergence of Clarke, Shackleton, Davis etc.

Yes they did but equally whoever fails will see those loanees disappear and be left with a weak squad. We are in a position where our squad is our squad and the only loanee to feature didn't set the world alight so if he goes and doesn't come back it isn't as big a setback as losing the players that either Villa or Derby will.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 am Morning Faaip

We couldn't last the distance. DISAGREE

We didn't strengthen in January. DIDN'T NEED TO

Our squad was too small. DISAGREE

Both teams had far far far better loanee's than us!!! OPEN TO TO DEBATE
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Good morning!

Just having breakfast, I'm a slow starter.

Regardless of all the other arguments, I don't blame Radz at all. He has every reason to believe we can make a better stab at promotion next season with Bielsa still in charge, and that's what I'd rather see us do. It makes far more sense for him to consider his options this time next year. If the billionaire despots are too impatient to wait for that, then f*ck 'em.

Isn't Harry Wilson more of a winger, or wide midfielder, than a striker?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I thought Harry Wilson was that bloke that was in the doubles with Tom Daly at the Olympics
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 am We couldn't last the distance.

We played pretty damn well in the 47th League match of our season. Also our 45th. If you gift opposition goals, like we did v Derby, it doesn't matter if it is game 1 or game 50 or whether you are playing Dog & Duck F.C. or Barcelona.

This has been done to a death. We had 2 positions that needed strengthening and we got a keeper in and but for the Dan James situation we would have strengthened both. We went for 2 really good acquisitions instead of just going for anyone that was available.

Our squad was too small.

In hindsight yes but did any other team have the amount of injuries we had? A normal amount of injuries and the squad size was fine. From day one Bielsa wanted a small squad being supplemented by the U23s. A bigger squad and we don't get to see the emergence of Clarke, Shackleton, Davis etc.

Yes they did but equally whoever fails will see those loanees disappear and be left with a weak squad. We are in a position where our squad is our squad and the only loanee to feature didn't set the world alight so if he goes and doesn't come back it isn't as big a setback as losing the players that either Villa or Derby will.
Morning Weasel, when I say we couldn't last the distance, look at the Championship form guide for the last 15 matches. Unfortunately it only goes up to 15.
Untitled-7.jpg
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Interestingly, look how many teams at the bottom of the form guide that Leeds lost to in the last 15 games.

We didn't know how to grind out a result!!!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Form is dependant on results, not performances. I remember in the 1992 title winning season we played Man Utd in the FA Cip. Battered them for 90 minutes and lost 1-0. Now if reliant on form stats we lost the game and are in bad form, but that performance would probably see you win 99 times out of 100 so we were playing well.

The stats from the last few matches were not any different to the rest of the season in terms of possession, shots we had, shots the opposition had etc. The only difference was that we converted less of our chances and we also gifted the opposition chances they couldn't miss. That is why Bielsa doesn't view things solely on the match results. He believes in his process which is to create more chances that the opposition which should then usually win you most of the matches. In terms of that we were a statistical anomaly and that will be what Bielsa focuses on this summer. How can we improve our efficiency in front of goal. That was the overwhelming failure last season and it happened all season but got worse at the end.

He will obviously want to cut out the mistakes at the back too but that will be the secondary focus.

A great example is the mantra - don't change a winning team. Now if the team won but played poorly do you stick with the same 11? Equally, like in my example above, if you played really well but lost you don't suddenly make 4 or 5 changes.
Last edited by weasel on Mon May 27, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Form wise we totally folded after new year, clearly didnt last the distance in fact it wasnt to dissimilar to the new year collapses in the previous season.
Signed

King Cjay

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 am We couldn't last the distance.

Our squad was too small.

Re: Squad was too small - I'm amazed we weren't having kitten come October and again in late December due to

a) The amount of injuries we were constantly having

b) Losing and not replacing Viera and Saiz with players difficult to beat, old pro's that may have been past in the Prem but due to their experience would not

a) Give away a cheap free kick in a dangerous area

b) Knew how to pick up free kicks

c) Would not give away goals on the stroke of half time

d) Give away cheap pens.

I'm not having a go at Leeds whatsoever, it wasn't the players fault that Bielsa and Radrizzani thought that they could run the players ragged during training, not expect them to get injured, not strengthen and get into the auto's especially when experience from the last 10 seasons at least show Leeds second half of the season is never as good as their first!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 am He is saying delusional Italian knows that he has a potential goldmine on his hands if he can get them promoted, Radz is taking a huge risk for the sake of his ego and bank balance.

Radz loves the prestige and publicity which doesnt help.
Well said.

It is firmly my belief that Rad was waiting til the last second of January's transfer window to reveal their star Dan James, just to keep the Leeds fans guessing, will it go through or not!!!

He's big on his PR.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SaraM wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:42 am Good morning!

Just having breakfast, I'm a slow starter.

Regardless of all the other arguments, I don't blame Radz at all. He has every reason to believe we can make a better stab at promotion next season with Bielsa still in charge, and that's what I'd rather see us do. It makes far more sense for him to consider his options this time next year. If the billionaire despots are too impatient to wait for that, then f*ck 'em.

Isn't Harry Wilson more of a winger, or wide midfielder, than a striker?
Afternoon Sara, Rad has allowed us to believe again, and for that I am so grateful.

It's heartbreaking coming so close - but I could have predicted it to you in January.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 am I thought Harry Wilson was that bloke that was in the doubles with Tom Daly at the Olympics
Derby are full of divers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:08 am Form is dependant on results, not performances. I remember in the 1992 title winning season we played Man Utd in the FA Cip. Battered them for 90 minutes and lost 1-0. Now if reliant on form stats we lost the game and are in bad form, but that performance would probably see you win 99 times out of 100 so we were playing well.

The stats from the last few matches were not any different to the rest of the season in terms of possession, shots we had, shots the opposition had etc. The only difference was that we converted less of our chances and we also gifted the opposition chances they couldn't miss. That is why Bielsa doesn't view things solely on the match results. He believes in his process which is to create more chances that the opposition which should then usually win you most of the matches. In terms of that we were a statistical anomaly and that will be what Bielsa focuses on this summer. How can we improve our efficiency in front of goal. That was the overwhelming failure last season and it happened all season but got worse at the end.

He will obviously want to cut out the mistakes at the back too but that will be the secondary focus.

A great example is the mantra - don't change a winning team. Now if the team won but played poorly do you stick with the same 11? Equally, like in my example above, if you played really well but lost you don't suddenly make 4 or 5 changes.
In 91-92 against manchester united, was that the game that Harte missed a penalty.

I was having kittens at the time.... :lol: