A Successful Season?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: A Successful Season?

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:08 pm Why do they have an 80 page thread on us if they don't care about us? :duno:
God knows mate

Liverpool & Man U also have longish topics on us too

The fact remains they would love to see Leeds back in the premiership

Playing Leeds as oppose to the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, etc is much more exciting for their fans as there is much history between the clubs

Meanwhile our fans have Luton, Reading, Barnsley, etc to look forward to or not !

It begs the question if Man U, Liverpool, Citeh, Spurs or Arsenal were relegated in 2004 would they still be ploughing their trade 16 years later in the championship ? I very much doubt it
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dalton wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:19 pm Sadly agree with 64 here. It wasnt that dissimilar to the season before. We led the table and were up there and then January came and it went tits up.
Even with Monk we were in a cemented play off place and blew that as well.
My main beef with MB is that there ARE players like Shacks that could and should have had more game time when his untouchable regulars were underperforming week in week out.
I think we were all baffled on that one Dalton :tup:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 pmThe fact remains they would love to see Leeds back in the premiership.
They would never admit it of course, but one day when we do eventually make it back fans of other clubs and the press will say how we were badly missed etc.

I remember Chelsea fans taunting us when we went down and they said they'd hope they'd never play us again, yet after the League Cup game, they were all saying they wanted us to come back up.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

A successful season, yes, if ultimately not a successful team. As many have said, it feels like the club has its identity, pride and self belief back, and for Marcelo to achieve that in one season is a remarkable success. In addition, there are the many other improvements already mentioned.

I take issue with the idea that we are a laughing stock. Anyone being objective could see that we overachieved given the resources available. I honestly think most of the derision is rooted in jealousy, and that's why we love being hated.

Who knows, but by the end of next season we may be up, and Villa and Derby, the 'successful' teams, facing relegation or sanctions. Who'll be laughing then?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

SaraM wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm A successful season, yes, if ultimately not a successful team. As many have said, it feels like the club has its identity, pride and self belief back, and for Marcelo to achieve that in one season is a remarkable success. In addition, there are the many other improvements already mentioned.

I take issue with the idea that we are a laughing stock. Anyone being objective could see that we overachieved given the resources available. I honestly think most of the derision is rooted in jealousy, and that's why we love being hated.

Who knows, but by the end of next season we may be up, and Villa and Derby, the 'successful' teams, facing relegation or sanctions. Who'll be laughing then?
Yes football changes very quickly. He who laughs last and all that. I noticed a majority of fans laughing at us support Swansea, Reading, Boro and either Derby/Villa, all clubs that will be a mess this summer and in financial trouble.

Personally I don't care about any other club other than Leeds, yet some "fans" of other clubs are more obsessed with us than their own team.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

The aim of this league is to get to the Premiership, if you don’t do that it’s not a successful season. I think it was a great season though, one where we made massive strides forward to improve as a club and build into the future, but successful, no it can’t be.
I think we can take lots of positives out of it though, build on it and have a successful season next year
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

dezzy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:33 pm The aim of this league is to get to the Premiership, if you don’t do that it’s not a successful season. I think it was a great season though, one where we made massive strides forward to improve as a club and build into the future, but successful, no it can’t be.
I think we can take lots of positives out of it though, build on it and have a successful season next year
for me , footballing wise on the whole its been relatively a success . a massive improvement from the s**t we've been served over the years . no we wasn't triumphant at the end of our campaign which successful teams are but in many ways its been a season to savour . win , lose or draw we was the best footballing / entertaining exciting team by far in the league . thanks to bielsa leeds utd are now well and truly back on the map ......a success in itself for me .
Last edited by leic white 63 on Fri May 24, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:33 pm The aim of this league is to get to the Premiership, if you don’t do that it’s not a successful season. I think it was a great season though, one where we made massive strides forward to improve as a club and build into the future, but successful, no it can’t be.
Glad you agree Dezzy, we have shown improvement & it has been the best season in a long long time

Successful, definitely not !

Bring on what I call success next season as long as our owner doesn't upset the apple cart
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:47 pm Glad you agree Dezzy, we have shown improvement & it has been the best season in a long long time

Bring on what I call success next season as long as our owner doesn't upset the apple cart
you achieve success when you succeed . our goal at the start of the season was to get in the play offs . that was successfully achieved ;-)

but i know what you saying tho 64 .
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

leic white 63 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:41 pm for me , footballing wise on the whole its been relatively a success . a massive improvement from the s**t we've been served over the years . no we wasn't triumphant at the end of our campaign which successful teams are but in many ways its been a season to savour . win , lose or draw we was the best footballing / entertaining exciting team by far in the league . thanks to bielsa leeds utd are now well and truly back on the map ......a success in itself for me .
Agree, major steps forward as a club, good football, enjoyable up until the end, puts us in a strong position going forward
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:47 pm Glad you agree Dezzy, we have shown improvement & it has been the best season in a long long time

I think Radz has put all the money he is willing to put in, in already, he’ll sell players to buy players, wouldn’t imagine he will have a net spend on our squad of more than a few million. I’m going to guess Pontus will go along with Saiz and a few dead wood players, giving us a slightly stronger squad going into next year
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

A success? No.

An improvement? A million times yes.

You can't earn success without improvement so this has still been an overhwlemingly positive season despite the end.
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

The answer to this question is wholly dependent on what objective it is judged against. I say this because objectives can change, they are not necessarily set in stone.

At the start of the season the aim was top 6. We met this, so on that basis the season was a success. However at Christmas we were top, so by that time the objective would undoubtedly have been auto. On that basis we failed.

In terms of overall achievement we did better than most expected, but did not achieve what most hoped for. However hope is intangible, achievement is not, and what we actually achieved from the previous season’s finishing position still counts as success in my book. We played far better football than most expected, we have a first team of a generally higher quality and value (due to MB improving what we had), we have some real quality youngsters coming through, we laid the foundations for next season, and we have a far happier fan base. All successes. There are of course the perceived (not actual) failures, the main one being a failure to get over the line. But even that was a product of earlier over achievement, and looking at the season from an overall perspective I think it is more than reasonable to categorise it as a significant success.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

If you set a target then you cannot change the target midway through and then judge the success of the initial target by the new target. Especially in a league table and no prizes are given out until after 46 games, teams aren't relegated after 20 matches and likewise positions aren't guaranteed because of where someone was after 20 matches. Similarly if the target was play-offs then when you achieve that target you can say it would be nice to get promoted but you can't judge the season as a success or failure because of what we did once we got to the play-offs.

If we flipped our results around then we'd have been midtable at the half way point and then got to 3rd place everyone says a fantastic season. The only way you can judge a league season is by the initial goal - which we achieved.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:02 am If you set a target then you cannot change the target midway through and then judge the success of the initial target by the new target. Especially in a league table and no prizes are given out until after 46 games, teams aren't relegated after 20 matches and likewise positions aren't guaranteed because of where someone was after 20 matches. Similarly if the target was play-offs then when you achieve that target you can say it would be nice to get promoted but you can't judge the season as a success or failure because of what we did once we got to the play-offs.

If we flipped our results around then we'd have been midtable at the half way point and then got to 3rd place everyone says a fantastic season. The only way you can judge a league season is by the initial goal - which we achieved.
Another way of looking at it is this weasel.

Before the match away at Barcelona you hope that you can come away with a narrow defeat. We don't want to ship a lot get ripped apart and lose a by a big margin as it could affect the morale of the club.

Unbelievably at half time we find ourselves holding two goal lead. Can we make the headlines tonight? By the 60th minute it is still 2-0.

Then the wheels start to come off...

A low cross into the box isnt cleared and Suarez is there to bundle the ball home. Two minutes later Messi goes down in the box under a heavy challenge from Jansson. Spot kick and its 2-2.

With 5 minutes to go Leeds in a rare foray forward hit the underside of the bar. Bamford claims the ball crossed the line when it bounced down but the ref waves all protests away.

Barca catch Leeds on the break and you know who lobs Kiko from 30 yards.

2-3 and the ref blows the final whistle.......
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:12 am Another way of looking at it is this weasel.

Before the match away at Barcelona you hope that you can come away with a narrow defeat. We don't want to ship a lot get ripped apart and lose a by a big margin as it could affect the morale of the club.

Unbelievably at half time we find ourselves holding two goal lead. Can we make the headlines tonight? By the 60th minute it is still 2-0.

Then the wheels start to come off...

A low cross into the box isnt cleared and Suarez is there to bundle the ball home. Two minutes later Messi goes down in the box under a heavy challenge from Jansson. Spot kick and its 2-2.

With 5 minutes to go Leeds in a rare foray forward hit the underside of the bar. Bamford claims the ball crossed the line when it bounced down but the ref waves all protests away.

Barca catch Leeds on the break and you know who lobs Kiko from 30 yards.

2-3 and the ref blows the final whistle.......
And similar to our season you are left disappointed but you still achieved your original target - hence successful. Like the league season you don't get the points for leading a match at half time.

But you also, when you sit back and reflect, take great pride in how well you did despite ultimately being a little disappointed.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

That scenario would be very successful, 2 away goals.......
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"