Mallik Wilks

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Mallik Wilks

Post by Cjay »

A potential first team player next season maybe?

Certainly proved himself in league 1 with Doncaster, 15 goals 9 assists in all competitions.

Not bad going for someone who only turned 20 in December.

Popular with the Doncaster fans, has attracted praise apparently for his performances in league 1 from the media and rival fans and such.

Powerfully built young man, a shade under 6ft or just over depending on where you read, pacey and direct, preferring to play on the right in order to be able to cut in on his preferred left foot (he is extremely one footed from what ive seen but tbf most players are).

What i do like is he isnt a kick and rush sort of dribbler from what ive seen, he has the pace to do that but he has quick feet and is able to beat a man that way to which given how little space we get in the final 3rd is probably more useful then kick and rush.

Now, there is a legal matter that he has pending and quite a serious one, he will face charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and violent disorder (however he is innocent until proven guilty and while their would be no excuse if guilty its fair to say the lad has had a difficult time).

So, legal issues aside, could he have a part to play next season?

Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Mallik Wilks

Post by weasel »

Impossible to say. Nicky AJose had an even more impressive season in league 1 before coming to us and made no impact whereas others have made bigger steps up in class look easy. Some of his goals you would have to question the standard of keeping and similarly a couple of the assists were only assists because of great finishes rather than the assist being particularly brilliant. Looks to have decent pace and confidence can be the biggest factor and he looks like he has that too. Over to Bielsa (or a new manager).
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

From what I've seen of him, I think he can be a good option to have for depth, although his defensive work needs improving. He's confident and arrogant, so should be able to step up to Championship level. One thing to question is his attitude, he seems like a pratt and is often showboating and such. I can't see Bielsa standing for that, but he's still young so he can mature.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

what i've seen of him than NO , if we're going to pin one's hope on the likes of wilks we're going nowhere fast.
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Good impact/ backup player maybe. We need to pin our hopes higher though tbh.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

My mate and his sons are Donny Season ticket holders ( strange family :lol: ) they rate Wilks and would be happy to keep him for next season.

However they say he can go missing in games if it’s going the teams way, they also have nicked named him the Gangster due to the way he acts on and apparently off the pitch so that may not bode well for the future :duno:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

A decent player at League 1 level but i doubt he has the ability or attitude for a Bielsa team.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:44 pm A potential first team player next season maybe?

Certainly proved himself in league 1 with Doncaster, 15 goals 9 assists in all competitions.

Not bad going for someone who only turned 20 in December.

Popular with the Doncaster fans, has attracted praise apparently for his performances in league 1 from the media and rival fans and such.

Powerfully built young man, a shade under 6ft or just over depending on where you read, pacey and direct, preferring to play on the right in order to be able to cut in on his preferred left foot (he is extremely one footed from what ive seen but tbf most players are).

What i do like is he isnt a kick and rush sort of dribbler from what ive seen, he has the pace to do that but he has quick feet and is able to beat a man that way to which given how little space we get in the final 3rd is probably more useful then kick and rush.

Now, there is a legal matter that he has pending and quite a serious one, he will face charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and violent disorder (however he is innocent until proven guilty and while their would be no excuse if guilty its fair to say the lad has had a difficult time).

So, legal issues aside, could he have a part to play next season?

Interesting player with talent to burn.

According to Leeds he strongly and vehemently denies the charges.

His trial is in July apparently so he will either be back at EL for pre-season or captaining the HMP New Hall X1.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So his trial has been moved till next May and apparently MB will have him involved in pre season training with the 1st team, so he has a chance to impress.

Personally if we have to sell Jack I'd rather see Wilks given a chance then loan some kid from the Prem and pay for the pleasure.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Seems we are selling him to either Barnsley or Hull.

Seems an odd choice, very short sighted bit like Halme.

We should be getting £3-4mil here if we use Jamal Lowe as a benchmark.

Bet we dont.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bet i don't care
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:43 pm Seems we are selling him to either Barnsley or Hull.

Seems an odd choice, very short sighted bit like Halme.

We should be getting £3-4mil here if we use Jamal Lowe as a benchmark.

Bet we dont.
You can only get what other clubs can offer if there isn't much demand for him. If he was as good as he is being made out to be by some then more clubs would be interested. If the price is indeed some sort of amazing bargain then a lot more clubs would be after him however the bigger prices are usually when a player is moving upwards and that isn't the case here.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:22 pm You can only get what other clubs can offer if there isn't much demand for him. If he was as good as he is being made out to be by some then more clubs would be interested. If the price is indeed some sort of amazing bargain then a lot more clubs would be after him however the bigger prices are usually when a player is moving upwards and that isn't the case here.
He had a fantastic season in League 1 for Doncaster.

45 games 16 goals 12 assists.

People were raving about Jamal Lowe when we were linked with him.

52 games 17 goals 9 assists.

What makes Jack Harrison or Jack Clarke better (i do think Clarke is better) but dont understand why the club are so keen to offload a 20 year old who had a great seasonlast season yet were so keen to sign Tyler Roberts for example whose time in league 1 was nothing like as good.

Cant tell me scouts saw Roberts during his ok spell at Walsall and thought "yeah hes great, definitely worth 2.5mil" but saw Wilks at Doncaster and thought "meh not for me".

Just seems very strange to me to offload Wilks when he could be a very useful weapon and clearly has potential.

Also Harrison and Clarke are only loans, we dont go up, then what? Whats the plan for next season?

I think this is a very short sighted mistake, kid has talent, proved himself last season, deserves a chance.

Maybe loan him out but why sell?
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Don't know enough about the players you mentioned but, and with all due respect, if Hull and Barnsley are the only clubs interested in him then that tells its own story. Bielsa watched him in training last year and also again this summer, will have seen video of his performances for Doncaster but doesn't rate him. Seems not many other clubs do either.

We have lots of youngsters coming through, lots of fringe players too and we need to trim it. Presumably Bielsa has the final say and if Wilkes is well down the pecking order then we may as well sell.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Wonder if club want to avoid the headlines surrounding the court case and would rather cut ties with Wilks now, especially if they want to sell the club at some point?

Just guessing
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I'm with Ian on this one, sell while he still has some value before the court case. Guilty or innocent, can see why the club might want to distance themselves from this.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
gessa

Post by gessa »

£1.2 mill to Hull. he doesn't want to leave but has been told he doesn't fit in with the clubs plans.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:48 pm £1.2 mill to Hull. he doesn't want to leave but has been told he doesn't fit in with the clubs plans.
A player will seldom say they want to leave a club, why burn bridges? 1.2 is good value for both teams considering the possible trouble coming his way.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It's better to take a fee than risk having to rip his contract up for free next year. Good luck to Mallik (on the pitch).
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I see your point, Cjay. He's young, clearly has talent and is one of our own (probably on low wages)... but there is uncertainty with his court case (which will see him miss part of this season anyway), and the club clearly see there potentially being an issue there.

We know we need to offload players and, like it or not, we can only sell those who have interest in them. In most people's books (and fifa saves) you'd keep Wilks and Halme and see how they fare this year, but we clearly need the cash and they are unlikely to make a huge impact this year (and maybe the club see Championship level football as their ceiling).