The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 22nd May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 22nd May)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

The YEP have revealed their 2018/19 Leeds Utd awards.

Instead of telling you who they have voted for, I'm going to ask you who should collect the awards, starting with :-

Young player of the season?

Signing of the season?

Disappointment of the season?

Game of the season?

Goal of the season?

Moment of the season?

Surprise of the season?

Villain of the season?

Spurs are preparing a 10m to take Jack Clarke to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Thoughts, if the money was reinvested?

Radrizzani has offered an honest and frank view of what to expect over the Summer:-

“We will have to run a difficult summer in terms of transfer market but we have a great academy,”
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 22nd May)

Post by The Subhuman »

First thought is that's cheap for Clarke if Harrison is double.

Young player of the season? Jamie Shackleton

Signing of the season? Matteuz Bogusz

Disappointment of the season? Roofe being replaced as striker

Game of the season? Derby during spygate

Goal of the season? Roofe v Derby...playoffs

Moment of the season? Liam Cooper tackling Kiko - playoffs v Derby. (Didn't say worst or best plus it's the single moment of the season where everything changed)

Surprise of the season? Can't think of one

Villain of the season? The Football League
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Young player of the season? Tie between Shackleton and Clarke

Signing of the season? No stand-out

Disappointment of the season? This poll question

Game of the season? Quite a few quality ones, none stands out from the others

Goal of the season? I can't remember the details of most of our goals

Moment of the season? Hiring Bielsa

Surprise of the season? Klich - I didn't realise how good he was

Villain of the season? No idea, I don't follow Villa close enough to know their best player
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Good last answer
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Shackleton. Has had less time to make an impact than Clarke or Roberts, but shows the most promise imo.

Signing of the season?
Bielsa.

The injuries to Roofe, which are possibly the single biggest factor in blowing promotion.

Game of the season?
Blackburn at home. 2-1 down in injury time, still fighting to comeback, and succeeding. The euphoric belief that we could score at will.

Goal of the season?
Pablo v West Brom. So early in a difficult fixture, paving the way for the most assured performance of the season.

Moment of the season?
Players celebrating the winner against Villa, and Marcelo chivvying them back onto the pitch to carry on attacking.

Surprise of the season?
The opening game. What the hell is this!

Villain of the season?
Lampard. His hubris epitomises the whole po faced, entitled, hypocritical establishment.

I wouldn't hesitate to take £10 million for Jack Clarke. I'm not at all convinced he's going to live up to expectation, and that money could do far more towards promotion than his occasional cameo off the bench.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Young player of the season? Jack Clarke

Signing of the season? Bielsa

Disappointment of the season? Barry Douglas

Game of the season? Blackburn come back for the euphoria, being 2-1 down in injury time and still having the belief to win. Genuinely thought we'd do it then. It felt like our time. :cry:

Goal of the season? Klich v Wendies - the bend on that.

Moment of the season? Comeback against Blackburn.

Surprise of the season? Harrison ball to Roofe for goal at Derby.

Villain of the season? Harvey and the EFL as per usual :roll:

£10m for Jack Clarke is insulting, but expect Radz to say yes. Good businessman my arse. :roll:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt & all

Jamie Shackleton

Signing of the season?

Marcelo Bielsa

Losing at home to ten men Wigan/Failing to beat Derby when 2-0 up on agreagate

Game of the season?

2-0 victory over Derby at ER

Goal of the season?

Pablo v West Brom

Moment of the season?

Last minute comeback v Blackburn

Surprise of the season?

Kalvin Phillips

Villain of the season?

Football League/Referees/Lampard/Smith/Terry/Grealish.....take your pick?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning folks

I have to say Roberts. Hard not to pick Shackleton but Roberts spent plenty of time in the first team and improved as the season went on, particularly in the no10 role. Would Shack have done the same? Like Clarke, he might have started brightly, got injured and then been a shadow of his former self, or he could've been a season changer. We'll never know. I can only go on what we've seen over the course of the season, and that's Roberts going from a solid if unremarkable presence in Roofe and Bamford's absence to a regular and trusted game starter. At 19, that's damn impressive.

Signing of the season?

Feels like cheating to say Bielsa, but there can be no other answer.

Jack Harrison. I think most of us can say we got a little excited seeing Bielsa's links to Guardiola in action at the start of the season, with us getting a promising young player from the best team in the EPL but despite a couple of good performances he's vastly underperformed considering how many games he's started. I'd even go so far as to say if we had a better player in his position we'd have made autos. His lack of threat allowed defensive teams to focus their concentration on one side of the pitch, snuffing out Roofe and Bamford easily. We can talk about Douglas's lack of form/fitness and Ali's defensive and delivery inadequacies but the truth is if Harrison were better, we'd have won more games and the full backs would have been scrutinised much less.

Game of the season?

First Villa game. Fairytale stuff, didn't feel real to be cheering a win after trailing for so long.

Goal of the season?

Roofe's winner in the above. If only we hadn't lost that resilience and skill to injury.

Moment of the season?

Surprise of the season?

Tough one but have to go with Klich. From beginning to end, an absolute warrior. A surprise because, well, many of us had forgotton he'd existed last summer. A true testament to Bielsa's judgement and how to repay that trust on the player's part. Take a bow, Klichy.

Villain of the season?

Sky Sports. I'm not going to blame an inexperienced manager like Lampard for a hissy fit after the whole 'spy' thing but Sky Sports smelled blood and gleefully enacted the latest stage of Operation: Leeds Smear. The nauseating, sanctimonious self-righteousness of people like Keith 'Who?' Andrews and Jermaine Jenas, insignificant loafers who could never do what Bielsa does passing judgement on that man really brought it all home.

I could've named any of the above men as villain of the season but Sky Sports has to take the title collectively. It epitomises the worst of today's media and I just pray we smash it next season, just to wipe the smirks off their ugly faces.

Spurs are preparing a 10m to take Jack Clarke to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Thoughts, if the money was reinvested?

Radrizzani has offered an honest and frank view of what to expect over the Summer:- “We will have to run a difficult summer in terms of transfer market but we have a great academy,”

These two points are linked for me. It seems we're gearing up to take advantage of youth, looking at Radz's statement, rather than storming the transfer market. To let Clarke go would be counterproductive to that aim. His confidence took a hit after his illness but it's a fresh start next season, so if we can bottle that earlier magic from him it'll lessen our reliance on Pablo.

Honestly, looking at the likes of Bogusz, Edmonson, Shack et al, as well as the continued improvements to the academy, I think the plan will be to get a couple of quality players and bring in youth alongside them. To do that, we can't sell Clarke, who embodies both of these things.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Jack Clarke - unplayable until he got that virus

Signing of the season?
Bielsa, without question

Need you ask? Second leg of the play offs

Game of the season?
Villa away, we pulverized them second half on their own turf

Goal of the season?
Has to be Roofe's goal in the play off first leg

Moment of the season?
Roofe's winner at Villa Park

Surprise of the season?
Our league position of 3rd after finishing 13th last season

Villain of the season?
Plank Lampard

Radz's comment fills me with dread.
It sounds like he is saying 'we're signing no-one so we're pinning all our hopes on the U23's'.
Don't get me wrong, I think some are ready to step up to the championship right now but we need to add some experienced quality as well.

And Southampton can do one when it comes to Jack Clarke.
He needs to prove himself week in week out in the Championship first and then if we don't make it next season, he can make the step up if clubs are still chasing him.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It would be a huge mistake for Clarke to leave now. He hasn't even completed 90 mins yet and will be relegated to u23 football at a PL club and numerous loans. He needs a full season behind him before even thinking of a move. Hopefully Harte puts his career before a payday for himself, but I doubt it sadly.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

It will certainly be a difficult summer for Radz if Bielsa tells him to stick the job where the sun don't shine for being a skinflint. Even the most cautious of us, in terms of spending (and I'm one of them), can see that with maybe only 2, possibly 3 quality signings, we'd tear this league a new one. Radz thought he only had to get a coach of the calibre of Marcelo and that would be that. If he cannot see that even he can't work actual miracles, then he needs to sell up. This squad, even with the good kids we have, isn't quite good enough. Too many found their natural level after about 2/3 of the season, MB will have seen that and will want action accordingly to remedy it.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:14 pm It will certainly be a difficult summer for Radz if Bielsa tells him to stick the job where the sun don't shine for being a skinflint. Even the most cautious of us, in terms of spending (and I'm one of them), can see that with maybe only 2, possibly 3 quality signings, we'd tear this league a new one. Radz thought he only had to get a coach of the calibre of Marcelo and that would be that. If he cannot see that even he can't work actual miracles, then he needs to sell up. This squad, even with the good kids we have, isn't quite good enough. Too many found their natural level after about 2/3 of the season, MB will have seen that and will want action accordingly to remedy it.
That's a really good point. Bielsa doesn't take broken promises lightly, so we have to hope Radz has been open and honest about his resources at the very start. I think he has, and we all know Bielsa has a penchant for youth development & promotion so I can't see him going "What, you're not giving me £100mil to spend? Right, I'm off.", Bielsa's always made do with what he's got - so long as the club have been honest about it from the start.

I think it'll be a case of keeping the wheat, selling the chaff (of which we have plenty), get 2 or 3 quality signings as you say, and Bielsa will make superstars of the likes of Shack and Bogusz as he's always done the world over.

The main thing is transparency, Bielsa's an honest, transparent man and he expects the same. He wasn't happy about Viera being sold without his input, so hopefully Radz has learned his lesson.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I doubt Bielsa would've taken the job without knowing we wouldn't be spending fortunes, he's not stupid. We're in the Championship not PL, I think he knew the finances were different. I assume the assurances would be keeping KP and not selling many key players. I think Jansson will go sadly, just wish I was wrong though.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:43 pm That's a really good point. Bielsa doesn't take broken promises lightly, so we have to hope Radz has been open and honest about his resources at the very start. I think he has, and we all know Bielsa has a penchant for youth development & promotion so I can't see him going "What, you're not giving me £100mil to spend? Right, I'm off.", Bielsa's always made do with what he's got - so long as the club have been honest about it from the start.

I think it'll be a case of keeping the wheat, selling the chaff (of which we have plenty), get 2 or 3 quality signings as you say, and Bielsa will make superstars of the likes of Shack and Bogusz as he's always done the world over.

The main thing is transparency, Bielsa's an honest, transparent man and he expects the same. He wasn't happy about Viera being sold without his input, so hopefully Radz has learned his lesson.
You put it better than I could, Jon! I too don't think Bielsa will be lobbying for a huge war chest, just funds to upgrade the positions he believes to be weak. I just hope the chaff generate sufficient funds that none of the wheat has to be sold. AR's comment suggests otherwise, but who knows.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:06 pm You put it better than I could, Jon! I too don't think Bielsa will be lobbying for a huge war chest, just funds to upgrade the positions he believes to be weak. I just hope the chaff generate sufficient funds that none of the wheat has to be sold. AR's comment suggests otherwise, but who knows.
I think we'll be lucky to get nominal fees for some of them. Just having the wages off the books will help, though, as I'm sure we'll have been paying a proportion. We've got a streamlined squad and I would say that everyone who has played a part this year is at least Championship quality, and clearly we have enough top Champs quality to run it close.

With fewer injuries and the young players getting some more experience, I do think it's a case of adding 2 or 3 players with a bit more experience in key areas (a winger, for example). We cant have a worse run of injuries than this year and hopefully we'll also see the likes of Bogusz, Kun etc step up as well.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

One thing we can say for sure is that the ball is now squarely in Radz's court. Bielsa may not have given us promotion this season but he's given this club the next best thing - direction, purpose, a clear identity on the pitch. In a word: certainty, and how often have we had that in the last 15 years? He has shown the way forward. It's up to others now to take those vital steps in the right direct, now that we know what they are.

With his overhauling of the academy, his mentorship of Corberan, he's even pointed the way beyond this season and left a blueprint to follow should he not be here after next season.

It's all up to you, Mr Radrizzani. No excuses now.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Another thing with Bielsa is he's made us famous worldwide again, with all the interest in us globally. That makes the job enticing and attractive to other big names in the future. The days of Heckaday, Rosler, The Hock are long gone thankfully. 🙈 :lol:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Spurs are preparing a 10m to take Jack Clarke to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Thoughts, if the money was reinvested?

A very tricky one because the Jack Clarke who first burst onto the scene looked amazing. However he had gone completely off the boil before his illness. If Clarke can rediscover that form then it would be much better to keep him, can we afford that £10m gamble? Tottenham can afford to risk £10m and have Clarke not make it, we can't. At this point, presuming we spent the money wisely, I would have to say take the £10m.

Radrizzani has offered an honest and frank view of what to expect over the Summer:-

“We will have to run a difficult summer in terms of transfer market but we have a great academy,”

It all depends on people's viewpoints. If we are trying to sign really good players then it should be a difficult summer trying to convince quality players to play in the championship. Add to that that if we need to raise funds before we buy then difficult decisions will have to be made as to who do we let go.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:57 pm It all depends on people's viewpoints. If we are trying to sign really good players then it should be a difficult summer trying to convince quality players to play in the championship. Add to that that if we need to raise funds before we buy then difficult decisions will have to be made as to who do we let go.
Indeed, the word 'difficult' can be interpreted in different ways. Now I look back at it, it may not be difficult because of lack of funds, but because rather than the lucky dip approach our needs are very, very specific which obviously then limits the pool of players we're likely to go for. Other clubs are definitely going to be aware of those needs and leverage them to their own advantage. Maybe the academy comment alludes to us putting faith in our own product if we can't find someone to fit the bill come pre-season?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Radz is telling is we are skint, the difficult part will be

1. Selling our good players ( or at least some of them) to raise a few bob.
2. Not being able to purchase anyone of great note.

Remember some of our players are due contract re- negotiation which always means more money going out of the coffers.

I still wonder why the very early release of season tickets for next season was made. Was it to pay our way this season?

I think we are in a difficult place financially.

Roberts ( mainly because Shacks and Clarke didn't see enough game time)

Signing of the season?
None

Last weds

Game of the season?
Villa Away

Goal of the season?
Pablo away at Norwich

Moment of the season?
That 100th minute equalizer v Boro

Surprise of the season?
Kiko being so crap

Villain of the season?
Too many to mention.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa