The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 21st May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 21st May)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Manchester City have slapped a 20m price tag on 22yo Jack Harrison!

According to The Sun, Leeds are desperate for the winger to join on a permanent basis!

Thoughts?

Norwich City have joined the list of Premiership clubs wanting to lure Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips away from Elland Road.

Norwich have somewhat of a reputation for stealing talent away from Elland Road on the cheap with the likes of Howson, Johnson, Snodgrass and Becchio all leaving Elland Road on the cheap!

Southampton and Bournemouth are the other clubs tracking the 23yo defensive midfielder.

According to the press Leeds are set to revive their interest in Bristol City contract rebel Callum O’Dowda.

The left winger is valued at 10m, even though he only has a season left on his contract, and is unwilling to extend it.

Leeds made an approach in January but were knocked back.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 21st May)

Post by BGwhite »

Harrison is a waste of space. In a full season as a winger a couple of goals and assists. Yes he had good playoff games but it took him 46 games to do that, leave him at city.
20 mil for KP , no less.
Reckon odowda is angling for a move to ER.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Jack Harrison.... £20m :lol: :lol: :lol: unbelievable if true. we slapping a £50m price tag on Phillips and Jansson?
Clarke played probably less than half the games and had more of an impact. Wouldnt mind seeing him back on loan but we could furnish 2 or 3 key positions with £20m.
If Pillips wants to be playing back in the championship in a years time by all means go to Norwich. They won't survive this year.
I'd have a look at O'Dowda but again not at that price. Maybe half that...?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

20 million for Harrison, and Man Utd only offered 15 million for James. Harrison must be a better player in that case.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

20 million... I got my laugh of the day early today.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Morning all.

Well silly season has started early this year then! Harrison being worth £20m pushes Clarke's valuation higher at least. No way Radz can accept £10m for him now.

No to O'Dowda, £10m is grossly overpriced. I doubt we will be, but if we had £10m I'd rather buy Cavaleiro from Wolves.

Of course all our players will be linked with Norwich, lazy journalism. However that said, did they not learn their lesson from last time? Buying Championship players gets you in the Championship.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Harrison's done nothing to warrant that kind of fee. I'm sure we could do better for a quarter of the price.

Unless Phillips is itching to go himself, I wouldn't sell. He's proven himself over the course of this season, and is only likely to improve further. Could be a key part of pushing for promotion, and a quality Leeds player in the prem next year.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I’d say city are unaware of the average season Harrison had and are basing that fee on his assist in the first leg, what an idiotic price tag, even half that amount would be too much, what would people consider his value to be? 5 million?
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Being young and English distorts the fee massively, although Harrison doesn't even class as a homegrown player as he moved to the US at 14.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Manchester City have slapped a 20m price tag on 22yo Jack Harrison!
According to The Sun, Leeds are desperate for the winger to join on a permanent basis!
Thoughts?

A club can ask what they want for a player, doesn't mean anyone would pay that price and certainly not us. Harrison has potential but you could buy a player from any team up and down the land that has potential, doesn't mean he will definitely improve. I would put him in the £2m bracket although in this inflated market could see someone spending £5m on him. I can't see us being 'desperate' for him but could see us signing him if the price was right for us as he knows how Bielsa plays and was able to fit into the system so Bielsa knows what he will get from him, and if anyone can get him to further improve it would be Bielsa.

Norwich City have joined the list of Premiership clubs wanting to lure Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips away from Elland Road.
Norwich have somewhat of a reputation for stealing talent away from Elland Road on the cheap with the likes of Howson, Johnson, Snodgrass and Becchio all leaving Elland Road on the cheap!
Southampton and Bournemouth are the other clubs tracking the 23yo defensive midfielder.

Papers/online sites are desperate to fill spaces and likely just lazy journalism. Bournemouth seem to be linked with any young english player, Southampton likewise. Norwich linked simply because of the past and because whoever wrote the story knows Leeds fan will jump all over it because it it Norwich - as such they will get the publicity they crave.

According to the press Leeds are set to revive their interest in Bristol City contract rebel Callum O’Dowda.
The left winger is valued at 10m, even though he only has a season left on his contract, and is unwilling to extend it.
Leeds made an approach in January but were knocked back.

Again probably lazy journalism just because we were linked with him before and possibly we may have made a move for him if the Dan James deal had broken down earlier. Whether he remains on our list, or close to the top of it, depends how highly we though of him because it is no longer the January window and a lot more players will be available including foreign players who can come in and have the time to acclimatise during pre-season, which they wouldn't have really been able to do in January - which is why I feel our outfield targets in January were british based and had championship experienced - they could come into our team and hit the ground running.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Sigh... this is what I feared about being successful but not getting promoted. Spotting all this young talent won't have alerted others.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... clubs.html
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Harrison. Citeh sell him to ManU for 20m

James. Citeh purchase him for 15m. Then loan to us for wages.

Sorted 8-)

Sell nobody to Norwich. Ever.

Callum O'Dowda... cant help feeling Ali would do a better job on the left wing next season than him.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hopefully Phillips being a down to earth local lad he is will stay loyal to Bielsa's Leeds, can't see it though !

Tbh I wouldn't blame Kalvin leaving if the offer on the table was too good to refuse, he would become a double millionaire overnight & probably earn three times as much salary as he does at Leeds, also playing in the premiership must be a massive lure.

We'll miss KP big-time if we don't have a decent replacement lined up :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds desperate to sign Jack Harrison :rol:

The Sun have a laugh aren't they :roflmao: joke paper anyway
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 am Hopefully Phillips being a down to earth local lad he is will stay loyal to Bielsa's Leeds, can't see it though !

Tbh I wouldn't blame Kalvin leaving if the offer on the table was too good to refuse, he would become double millionaire overnight & probably earn three times as much salary as he does at Leeds, also playing in the premiership must be a massive lure.

We'll miss KP big-time if we don't have a decent replacement lined up :(
But is money more important to him than playing for the club he loves under a manager who made him the player he is? Not so sure.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 am cant help feeling Ali would do a better job on the left wing next season than him.
Same, though it's a last resort. We sort that position out and so much more success will come. I don't think Ali, much as I like the rascal, is the answer. His delivery is worse than Hermes.

Although I'm quietly confident and excited to see what will come next season, if we do something so unbelievably foolish like buying Harrison for even approaching that kind of cash then I'm just going to steel myself for disappointment.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

regardless of the price , we need better than Harrison.
if mb stays so does kp .
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 am But is money more important to him than playing for the club he loves under a manager who made him the player he is? Not so sure.
If I was in his shoes being a Leeds lad & supported the club since I was a kid I certainly wouldn't want to leave my boyhood club especially with a mentor in Bielsa guiding my career & Leeds possibly a year away from playing in the top echelon again.

Tough decision for the lad, I would be over the moon if he stays at Leeds.

Bielsa will want him stay, our top management may have other idea's though!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:01 pm regardless of the price , we need better than Harrison.
if mb stays so does kp .
Bielsa is staying mate so hopefully Kalvin too, nearly wetting myself at the prospect of both of them being at Leeds next season :lol:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:15 pm If I was in his shoes being a Leeds lad & supported the club since I was a kid I certainly wouldn't want to leave my boyhood club especially with a mentor in Bielsa guiding my career & Leeds possibly a year away from playing in the top echelon again.

Tough decision for the lad, I would be over the moon if he stays at Leeds.

Bielsa will want him stay, our top management may have other idea's though!
I really don't see how going to a relegation threatened club (let's be honest about 11 clubs can go down) with a worse manager is a more attractive proposition. If we were mid table under Bates with no hope, then I'd completely understand. But now, it would be a huge mistake.