The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 20th May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 20th May)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Kemar Roofe has posted what some believe to be a cryptic message about his future.

Kemar Roofe
✔@roofe
Bad ending to a good story.
Thank you for all the support this season, it truly as been special and can never be forgotten! #LUFC #MOT @

Are fans jumping to conclusions?

Leeds journalist Phil Hay has got hold of a memo written by Leeds Chairman Angus Kinnear which was sent to all employees after the Derby disappointment:-
D6xWltZXYAANCWb.jpg
Thoughts?

Former Leeds star, now pundit Noel Whelan has laid into Pontus Jansson via his interview with the Daily Star :-
“It’s all about him. He is not a team player.” “He’s an individual. It is as simple as that.”

“If he is the first to go, fantastic, because they are better defenders. I will tell you what, he is not Premier League class.”

Agree or not?

According to the Daily Mail, Leeds are hoping to make better use of the loan market after a series of disappointing moves.

I think we could have told Orta that in September!
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 20th May)

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Reading too much into Roofe. It was a great story this year and we didn't have the ending we all wanted (promotion)
Oh Angus. Definitely never gonna be a great poker player. Wears his heart on his sleeve.
Jansson completely disagree. Best defender we have bar none and although has a bit of an ego, he puts his body on the like week in week out.
And yes. We do need to make better use of the loan market.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Don't get this sell Jansson logic. Replace him with who? If he goes we need 2 CBs as Cooper has shown he isn't good enough in the big games.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:50 am Reading too much into Roofe. It was a great story this year and we didn't have the ending we all wanted (promotion)
Oh Angus. Definitely never gonna be a great poker player. Wears his heart on his sleeve.
Jansson completely disagree. Best defender we have bar none and although has a bit of an ego, he puts his body on the like week in week out.
And yes. We do need to make better use of the loan market.
Morning Hereford, was it a mistake not playing Jansson last game of the season?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SG90 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 am Don't get this sell Jansson logic. Replace him with who? If he goes we need 2 CBs as Cooper has shown he isn't good enough in the big games.
Morning SG90

Somebody somewhere in the LUFC hierachy does not like Jansson.

You'll remember last season when he was supposed to sign for the Russian side Jansson was shouting from the roof tops it was nothing to do wirh him, and he does not want to go.

I wholeheartedly believe Jansson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SG90, to cut a long story short, expect to see quite a few articles slag Jansson off in the near future, IE - discredit him...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 am Morning SG90

Somebody somewhere in the LUFC hierachy does not like Jansson.

You'll remember last season when he was supposed to sign for the Russian side Jansson was shouting from the roof tops it was nothing to do wirh him, and he does not want to go.

I wholeheartedly believe Jansson
Morning Matt.

Yeah I completely agree. How anyone thinks selling Jansson will improve us is completely delusional. He didn't even play in the playoffs yet he's become the scapegoat!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SG90 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 am Morning Matt.

Yeah I completely agree. How anyone thinks selling Jansson will improve us is completely delusional. He didn't even play in the playoffs yet he's become the scapegoat!
The plot thickens...

In the 2nd leg presser, Bielsa described Jansson as the best player in the Championship, yet decided to GAMBLE AND EXPERIMENT with Berardi playing with Cooper at centre back in Leeds biggest game for over a decade!

Can anyone explain this?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:46 am The plot thickens...

In the 2nd leg presser, Bielsa described Jansson as the best player in the Championship, yet decided to GAMBLE AND EXPERIMENT with Berardi playing with Cooper at centre back in Leeds biggest game for over a decade!

Can anyone explain this?
Definitely being driven out of the club. :cry: And we wonder why we never get anywhere, constantly selling our best players.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

As per usual fans jumping to conclusions for what is a fairly straightforward tweet by Roofe. No hints etc, no saying goodbye but hey ho....

As regards PJ playing on Wednesday in the second leg don't forget that he wasn't even on the bench for the first leg, whatever the injury was it is unlikely he would have gone from being unable to play any part on the Saturday to being 100% fit on the Wednesday. Don't forget that Bielsa didn't even bring him on after Berardi got sent off so it may simply be that he wasn't really fit. For all I would have started PJ if fit on the Wednesday the issue really wasn't down to Berardi defending poorly, he had a better game than the more experienced Cooper until he was sent off - even then if the ref had blown for a free kick on the fouls that happened to Berardi in the seconds before his foul then Berardi wouldn't have got the second yellow card, Berardi was hacked down twice within a few seconds and the ref chose to play on.

As regards PJ there always seems to have been some issue with him and what it is I don't think any of us really know what it is. A class defender and easily premiership quality but equally getting a good defence is about getting a unit that works well together. If we look back to the start of the season then Bielsa chose to start with Cooper and Berardi instead of PJ and to be honest it worked very well with Berardi deservedly keeping his place till he got injured. I wouldn't be surprised to see PJ sold, I think Bielsa would have preferred him to have gone rather than Vieira last summer when we needed to raise funds.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Good morning!

Does Kemar know his own future at this point, I wonder? He must be aware that leaving is a possibility, even if no decisions have been made yet.

I don't see what the problem is with Pontus. He always seems like a committed and passionate player who gives his all, and he has performed very well this season. Is too much being made of the Villa 'goal'. Remember the first Villa game, when he ran the length of the pitch! Maybe he's just the most obvious asset, and the Club are trying to soften the blow if they've decided to sell.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning all, finally emerged from my hangover and starting to feel a bit better.

Nothing cryptic about Roofe's tweet to me, but then plenty of people will read the worst possible context into anything they see.

I've always liked Pontus but clearly there's something going on that we're not seeing, so we have to trust that Whelan's opinion is his own and either agree or disagree, and that the club have things in hand. I actually rate Cooper marginally higher over the course of the season but it's hard to see who could realistically replace him and be an improvement.

Which is the overall focus now at this stage, isn't it? Now that we know what needs improving, all eyes are going to be on the transfer & loan market this summer.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:46 am The plot thickens...

Can anyone explain this?
He wasn’t fully fit.
Previous game we kept a clean sheet.

If he had have played and we still lost imagine the questions being asked then.

Why did we break up a defense r that for the first time in 6 weeks kept a clean sheet?

You are damned if you do sometimes
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Great points Ian. PJ and Cooper played together as Wigan and Ipswich hit 5 past us. In those must win matches v Wigan and Brentford we conceded twice in each game so there was definitely a question mark over the pairing and then in the first leg v Derby they didn't have a shot on target - and even in the second leg Derby's only shot on target in the first half was gifted to them.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No defensive error we win without breaking sweat, so that moment of madness or confusion has lead to a s**t storm of completely wrong conclusions and theories. Beradi in general had a good game, got booked for a nothing foul and re-booked after being fouled himself 3 times. Referee error. It was not a straight red! If that had been Kalvin getting rebooked at that point I wonder if we'd all be screaming for him to be gone.

I hope Gaetano is here and on the bench next season, we're not getting that quality back up utility at that price
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SG90 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 am Definitely being driven out of the club. :cry: And we wonder why we never get anywhere, constantly selling our best players.
Interesting.

I'd put money that Saiz was driven out of the club!

Getafe President had already made a statement saying they were signing a top talent until the end of the season (same time as stage 1) before the LUFC publicity machine had got started!

In stages.............

Stage 1
Announcement Saiz was not fit

Stage 2
Saiz had a weight problem. Most fat in squad.

Stage 3
Slowest player in fitness test

Stage 4
Saiz homesick / mental health problems. Wants to go back to Spain

Stage 5
Announcement by Leeds journo's that Getafe were interested. EVEN THOUGH GETAFE HAD ALREADY MADE A STATEMENT THAT THEY WERE SIGNING PLAYER (turned out to be Saiz of course)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 am Don't get this sell Jansson logic. Replace him with who? If he goes we need 2 CBs as Cooper has shown he isn't good enough in the big games.
Nor do I, strange that fans don't mind us losing our two best players Jansson & Phillips.

Goes with the Leeds territory I suppose

We still haven't replaced Chris Wood yet :roll:
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:25 am Morning Hereford, was it a mistake not playing Jansson last game of the season?
For the reasons stated elsewhere not a mistake not to play him. We had just kept a clean sheet away from home for the first time in a while. Berardi has been instrumental in that. We dont know what level of fitness Jansson was at. However i think it would be a HUGE mistake to sell him unless a ridiculous offer comes in. £15-20m as we arent replacing that level of quality cheap. For my money id rather see a partnership of Jansson and a new centre half next season with Coops as backup. As good as Cooper has been this season. He does seem to lose his head on the big occasion
hector

Post by hector »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 pm For the reasons stated elsewhere not a mistake not to play him. We had just kept a clean sheet away from home for the first time in a while. Berardi has been instrumental in that. We dont know what level of fitness Jansson was at. However i think it would be a HUGE mistake to sell him unless a ridiculous offer comes in. £15-20m as we arent replacing that level of quality cheap. For my money id rather see a partnership of Jansson and a new centre half next season with Coops as backup. As good as Cooper has been this season. He does seem to lose his head on the big occasion
:tup: agreed
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Agreed too - Berardi is a great squad player given his ability to play right or left back and centreback. Who knows a GB and PJ partnership might work. Shame about Cooper but despite the improvements you can't make the error he did in the first half and then compound it by giving a penalty away completely needlessly.