Keep/Sell

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Keep/Sell

Post by SG90 »

Keep:
Clarke
Shackleton
Klich
Bamford
Casilla
Cooper
Wilks
Hernandez
Alioski
Douglas
Roofe
Jansson
Phillips

Sell:
Sacko
Grot
Cibicki
Saiz
Berardi
O'Kane
Coyle
Pearce
Denton
Anita
De Bock
Ideguchi
Shaughnessy

Sell only if we have to for budgeting for a large fee:
Jansson
Roofe
Phillips

Don't mind keeping/won't complain if sold:
BPF
Forshaw
Dallas
Ayling
Roberts

Loan:
Roberts
Edmondson
Stevens
Diaz (if not involved with first team)
Huffer
O'Connor
Nicell

U23s involved:
Kun
Rey
Struijk
Bogusz
McCalmont
Gotts
Miazek
Diaz
Hudson
Dalby
Oduor
Halme
Davis
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Keep/Sell

Post by HarryofOz »

Only sell a player if you are going to get a better replacement or set of replacements.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

GOALKEEPERS

5.5 Bailey Peacock-Farrell
6.5 Kiko Casilla

DEFENDERS

7.5 Luke Ayling
5.0 Barry Douglas
7.0 Liam Cooper
7.5 Pontus Jansson
5.0 Gaetano Berardi

MIDFIELDERS

4.0 Adam Forshaw
6.5 Ezgjan Alioski
6.0 Stuart Dallas
8.0 Pablo Hernandez
5.0 Jack Harrison
8.5 Kalvin Phillips
7.5 Mateusz Klich
7.0 Jamie Shackleton
5.5 Jack Clarke

STRIKERS

7.0 Kemar Roofe
5.0 Patrick Bamford
6.5 Tyler Roberts

Any player with a rating of 5 or under can go imo!

So bye-bye Douglas, Berardi, Forshaw, Bamford (all four injury-prone) & Harrison

Unfortunately that won't be the case as we'll probably sell two of our best footballers in Pontus & Phillips :(
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I'd give Douglas and Bamford a pass. Both have struggled with injuries all year, but they've show they are very good players at this level before. Everyone slated Chris Wood and he turned into a monster the following season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:10 pm I'd give Douglas and Bamford a pass. Both have struggled with injuries all year, but they've show they are very good players at this level before. Everyone slated Chris Wood and he turned into a monster the following season.
Douglas was very good before the injury. Bamford should get another go. Beradi played very well in just about every game he played for us till the double yellow not his fault sending off in a yellow card littered game. Outstanding before injury, nearly MOTM in the first leg in one of his first full games back from a long injury at centre back
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

This time last season everyone wanted Phillips gone...maybe apart from one or two but consensus was he's not good enough get rid.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

I don’t think it’s simply a case of suggesting keep or sell, just as important imo is how a player fits the shape of the team. For example with Roofe in the side we look so much more balanced than with Bamford, despite Paddy being a perfectly good player at this level.

Personally I’d keep Roofe at almost any cost. Bambi I’m afraid may have to go for the reasons given. Douglas I’d retain, along (obviously) with Pontus, Philips and Pablo. I like Ali despite his faults, because he brings an intangible benefit to the team. Roberts is young and improving, and I’d keep him in the hope that continues and the goals start to flow.

I have to admit my most difficult decision would be Cooper. Firstly he shouldn’t be captain. That should be Pontus imo. At times I like Coops, but I do believe when the pressure is really on against the better teams he can be found out. Not always mind, but there’s an element of doubt in my mind. So, reluctantly, I think Coops should be sold (or at the very least be kept only as a squad player).
hector

Post by hector »

Denman wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:15 pm I don’t think it’s simply a case of suggesting keep or sell, just as important imo is how a player fits the shape of the team. For example with Roofe in the side we look so much more balanced than with Bamford, despite Paddy being a perfectly good player at this level.

Personally I’d keep Roofe at almost any cost. Bambi I’m afraid may have to go for the reasons given. Douglas I’d retain, along (obviously) with Pontus, Philips and Pablo. I like Ali despite his faults, because he brings an intangible benefit to the team. Roberts is young and improving, and I’d keep him in the hope that continues and the goals start to flow.

I have to admit my most difficult decision would be Cooper. Firstly he shouldn’t be captain. That should be Pontus imo. At times I like Coops, but I do believe when the pressure is really on against the better teams he can be found out. Not always mind, but there’s an element of doubt in my mind. So, reluctantly, I think Coops should be sold (or at the very least be kept only as a squad player).
I agree with most of this, with the exception of Pontus being captain..

Don't think he has the temprement for the job...

Welcome to the non lurking part of the forum. :tup:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

In terms of Bamford and the system you have to remember that he came to the club late in the summer so the squad would have been preparing with Roofe as the striker so our play reflected that. With Bamford getting injured it then meant we had half a season, or more, playing one way with Roofe. As such when Bamford came in our way of playing was set and it would have been hard to change midway through a season. If it was that Bamford was to be the main striker next season then you would expect Bielsa to adapt the tactics/formation during pre-season to play to his strengths.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Denman wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:15 pm I don’t think it’s simply a case of suggesting keep or sell, just as important imo is how a player fits the shape of the team. For example with Roofe in the side we look so much more balanced than with Bamford, despite Paddy being a perfectly good player at this level.

Welcome to MOT Denman :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:07 pm In terms of Bamford and the system you have to remember that he came to the club late in the summer so the squad would have been preparing with Roofe as the striker so our play reflected that. With Bamford getting injured it then meant we had half a season, or more, playing one way with Roofe. As such when Bamford came in our way of playing was set and it would have been hard to change midway through a season. If it was that Bamford was to be the main striker next season then you would expect Bielsa to adapt the tactics/formation during pre-season to play to his strengths.
Bamford will never be totally fit as he is so injury-prone

184 appearances in 7 seasons tells the story of his career
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've posted the extended squad on the stats thread ...5 posts down where the ladder used to be but here's what I have so far in what I think is their best positions, (difficult to list players in multi-positions)...Anyone have any other name then throw them in

Leeds Squad/s headed into 2019/20 season

Goalkeepers

Kiko Casilla
Bailey Peacock Farrell
Kamil Miazek
Will Huffer
Harrison Male

Right sided defenders

Luke Ayling
Gaetano Beradi
Bryce Hosannah
Lewie Coyle
Vernon Anita

Left sided defenders

Barry Douglas
Leif Davis
Clark Oduor
Tom Pearce
Tyler Denton
Liam Kitching
Laurens De Bock

Centre backs

Pontus Jansson
Liam Cooper
Pascal Struick
Aapo Halme
Hugo Diaz
Oriol Rey
Conner Shaughnessy
Paudie O'Conner

Centre Mids

Mateusz Klich
Kalvin Phillips
Adam Forshaw
Jordan Stevens
Robbie McCalmont
Alex Machuca
Yosuke Ideguchi
Ouasim Bouy
Eunan O'Kane
Alex Woolerton
Bobby Kamwa
Callum Nicell

Right Sided Mids

Ezgjan Alioski
Pablo Hernandez
Stuart Dallas
Jamie Shackleton
Robbie Gotts
Jack Clarke
Pawel Cibicki
Hadi Sacko

Attacking mids

Matteusz Bogusz
Samuel Saiz
Tyler Roberts

Left Sided Mids

Strikers

Kemar Roofe
Patrick Bamford
Kun Temenuzhkov
Ryan Edmondson
Jay Roy Grot
Malik Wilks
Sam Dalby
Adrian Balboa
Caleb Ekuban
Oliver Sarkic
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We seem to have a dearth of left sided midfielders ...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:21 pm Douglas was very good before the injury. Bamford should get another go. Beradi played very well in just about every game he played for us till the double yellow not his fault sending off in a yellow card littered game. Outstanding before injury, nearly MOTM in the first leg in one of his first full games back from a long injury at centre back
Douglas is another one who is injury-prone, 285 appearances in 11 seasons

Scored 23 goals in his career, didn't even come close to scoring for Leeds.

Lacks pace & not an efficient defender by any means.

Played 40 games in his season at Wolves which was the most by a long way, will struggle to see out more than half a season from here on

Wolves obviously saw a chink in his game allowing him to leave Molineux after a fine season, that's why we snapped Douglas up for £3m which looked a bargain at the time.

I've seen better LB's on my travels during the 2018/19 season
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:09 pm I've posted the extended squad on the stats thread ...5 posts down where the ladder used to be but here's what I have so far in what I think is their best positions, (difficult to list players in multi-positions)...Anyone have any other name then throw them in

Leeds Squad/s headed into 2019/20 season

Goalkeepers

Kiko Casilla
Bailey Peacock Farrell
Kamil Miazek
Will Huffer
Harrison Male

Right sided defenders

Luke Ayling
Gaetano Beradi
Bryce Hosannah
Lewie Coyle
Vernon Anita

Left sided defenders

Barry Douglas
Leif Davis
Clark Oduor
Tom Pearce
Tyler Denton
Liam Kitching
Laurens De Bock

Centre backs

Pontus Jansson
Liam Cooper
Pascal Struick
Aapo Halme
Hugo Diaz
Oriol Rey
Conner Shaughnessy
Paudie O'Conner

Centre Mids

Mateusz Klich
Kalvin Phillips
Adam Forshaw
Jordan Stevens
Robbie McCalmont
Alex Machuca
Yosuke Ideguchi
Ouasim Bouy
Eunan O'Kane
Alex Woolerton
Bobby Kamwa
Callum Nicell

Right Sided Mids

Ezgjan Alioski
Pablo Hernandez
Stuart Dallas
Jamie Shackleton
Robbie Gotts
Jack Clarke
Pawel Cibicki
Hadi Sacko

Attacking mids

Matteusz Bogusz
Samuel Saiz
Tyler Roberts

Left Sided Mids

Strikers

Kemar Roofe
Patrick Bamford
Kun Temenuzhkov
Ryan Edmondson
Jay Roy Grot
Malik Wilks
Sam Dalby
Adrian Balboa
Caleb Ekuban
Oliver Sarkic
Phillips is a defensive midfielder/3rd CB, a position where he has excelled & played the best football of his career. That's the reason why premiership clubs are showing keen interest in KP & will play in that role for England one day
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:13 pm Douglas is another one who is injury-prone, 285 appearances in 11 seasons

Scored 23 goals in his career, didn't even come close to scoring for Leeds.

Lacks pace & not an efficient defender by any means.

Played 40 games in his season at Wolves which was the most by a long way, will struggle to see out more than half a season from here on

Wolves obviously saw a chink in his game allowing him to leave Molineux after a fine season, that's why we snapped Douglas up for £3m which looked a bargain at the time.

I've seen better LB's on my travels during the 2018/19 season
Is lacks pace a bad thing? Kalvin Phillips has the pace of a tortoise.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:15 pm Is lacks pace a bad thing? Kalvin Phillips has the pace of a tortoise.
Kalvin is twice the player Douglas will ever be !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Different positions and I'n nowhere near buying the Phillips hype. I do recall being one of the only ones here last season that rated him fairly high..I think he's got better since then but the hype machine is at full speed and right now he's gone the other way, slightly over rated.. If he has any sense he should stay here and continue to learn the position further. He's getting there but there are still issues in his game. One season at a new position is scratching the surface,
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've not used the DMF as a position..it's all under centre mid. It's why the disclaimer is there. I could put Dallas at right sided defender, right sided mid, left wing, right wing and maybe a couple of other positions too..But he's a right sided mid so that's where he sits in my list
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

faaip wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:15 pm Is lacks pace a bad thing? Kalvin Phillips has the pace of a tortoise.
I remember seeing Brian Talbot playing at ER sometime in early 80s, for Arsenal I think it was. I recollect thinking he was so slow at full tilt he looked like he was running through treacle. Had a pretty good career though.

It’s obviously useful to be quick if used correctly to one’s advantage, but lack of pace is far from an insurmountable barrier to success, Talbot is a case in point. Another is Teddy Sheringham, fantastic football brain and positional sense, Clearly those with only one gear can find ways to overcome it. As Philips did pretty well last season.