Transfer Strategy

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Transfer Strategy

Post by The Subhuman »

I do trust the board so it depends on your starting point..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Don't want Forestieri; diver with a bad attitude.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

If we go for anyone from the Wendies it should be Adam Reach
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

One thing to look at is the wage bill. It's shot up and we've signed higher earners, yet we're still relying on players from the Cellino era on smaller wages. So the wage bill has gone up, but the team hasn't improved, we've just improved the players we already had.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

SG90 wrote:One thing to look at is the wage bill. It's shot up and we've signed higher earners, yet we're still relying on players from the Cellino era on smaller wages. So the wage bill has gone up, but the team hasn't improved, we've just improved the players we already had.
Improving the team in numbers and quality will also increase the wage bill which is another reason why AR will sell more than he buys and if MB insists on a small squad AR will be laughing again. AR will want to ship out high earners and hope to replace them with potentially better players and u23's and also reduce the wage bill at the same time. He'll never be prepared to invest his own money into the playing staff . His choice but had he done so in January im sure we'd have gone up. Leeds will stagnate unless he or 3rd parties get rid of the dead wood and bring in more and better quality players for an assault on promotion next season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I really don't think Radz needs to change, because I really don't think much is needed. We'll probably lose a couple of players to the premier league at decent fees. And Harrison is the only worthwhile loanee that's leaving.

Bielsa did a great job and went really close with the squad we have. We'll bring in about 3 players on loan, and then would only need to make 1 or 2 permanent signings. With Bielsa getting a head start on things this year, I think we'll have a squad that's more than good enough.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:12 pm I really don't think Radz needs to change, because I really don't think much is needed. We'll probably lose a couple of players to the premier league at decent fees. And Harrison is the only worthwhile loanee that's leaving.

Bielsa did a great job and went really close with the squad we have. We'll bring in about 3 players on loan, and then would only need to make 1 or 2 permanent signings. With Bielsa getting a head start on things this year, I think we'll have a squad that's more than good enough.
But thats what we have been doing for over a decade and we havent gone anywhere.

Imo at some point someone is going to have to pick a season, draw a line in the sand and say "right, we will keep all key players and try and remove the dead wood and try and add real quality to the first 18".

There is so much potential in this club, that's what makes it so frustrating, but for a bit more ambition we could be sat here talking about Dan James and how well he had done and looking forward to players like Uruguay international Nandez and the like and planning for the prem.

I bet there are tons of talented players all over Europe and South America who would give their right arm to play for us in the prem with Bielsa.

Us in the Prem with Bielsa would be such an attractive proposition to many talented players outside of England who probably wouldn't usually give a newly promoted side a glance.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 pm But thats what we have been doing for over a decade and we havent gone anywhere.

Imo at some point someone is going to have to pick a season, draw a line in the sand and say "right, we will keep all key players and try and remove the dead wood and try and add real quality to the first 18".

There is so much potential in this club, that's what makes it so frustrating, but for a bit more ambition we could be sat here talking about Dan James and how well he had done and looking forward to players like Uruguay international Nandez and the like and planning for the prem.

I bet there are tons of talented players all over Europe and South America who would give their right arm to play for us in the prem with Bielsa.

Us in the Prem with Bielsa would be such an attractive proposition to many talented players outside of England who probably wouldn't usually give a newly promoted side a glance.
Completely agree CJay. Blunts wanting to sign Britt Assombalonga ffs. :roll: Such a missed and wasted opportunity.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 pm But thats what we have been doing for over a decade and we havent gone anywhere.

The trouble we have had in the past is that we haven't adequately replaced players. If we go back to the first season back in the championship, Beckford left on a free and we replaced with Paynter, on a free. So we went from a striker who would likely have got 15 or 20 goals (maybe more but think at least 15 would certainly not be unrealistic) to someone who scored what a couple?

We had 2 decent centrebacks in Naylor and Kisnorbo but Naylor was on his last legs and Kisnorbo unfortunately had his injuries. We didn't replace them instead Grayson was given £200k here and there to sign Alex Bruce and Leigh Bromby. A decent centreback for around £1m at that time would likely have seen us promoted.

We then had the likes of Ross McCormack sold & Chris Wood sold and us not really going all out and spending the money on an adequate replacement, not to mention the likes of Howson, Snodgrass, Schmeichel, Bradley Johnson, etc At least with Radrizanni he has re-invested the money which is why I am more confident that even if we were to lose PJ, KP and one or two others that we would still be able to be stronger as the money could be used very wisely with Orta and Bielsa picking players between them.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:37 am The trouble we have had in the past is that we haven't adequately replaced players. If we go back to the first season back in the championship, Beckford left on a free and we replaced with Paynter, on a free. So we went from a striker who would likely have got 15 or 20 goals (maybe more but think at least 15 would certainly not be unrealistic) to someone who scored what a couple?

We had 2 decent centrebacks in Naylor and Kisnorbo but Naylor was on his last legs and Kisnorbo unfortunately had his injuries. We didn't replace them instead Grayson was given £200k here and there to sign Alex Bruce and Leigh Bromby. A decent centreback for around £1m at that time would likely have seen us promoted.

We then had the likes of Ross McCormack sold & Chris Wood sold and us not really going all out and spending the money on an adequate replacement, not to mention the likes of Howson, Snodgrass, Schmeichel, Bradley Johnson, etc At least with Radrizanni he has re-invested the money which is why I am more confident that even if we were to lose PJ, KP and one or two others that we would still be able to be stronger as the money could be used very wisely with Orta and Bielsa picking players between them.
We don't need to sell 4 players, only one big one. We're getting £5.5m for Saiz and £2.5m for Ekuban, that's another £8m in the kitty.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

New kit sponsor this year as well. Hopefully not tinpot 32Red again. Not a fan of gambling money for sponsorship.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We could probably get fees for Sacko, De Bock, Cibicki, Pearce (like the kid but clearly not in our plans or will play much), Grot, Ideguchi, Anita too.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 am We don't need to sell 4 players, only one big one. We're getting £5.5m for Saiz and £2.5m for Ekuban, that's another £8m in the kitty.
Not suggesting we sell 4 first teamers just suggesting that even if worst case scenario we did then we could still be stronger. If prem offers come in for KP and PJ then like it or not I think they would be sold as the players would want to go. But if we could then go out and say spend £3m on a decent replacement then it leaves more money to strengthen other areas.

With regards to Saiz and Ekuban I would be hesitant to count on that money until it is in the bank.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:37 am The trouble we have had in the past is that we haven't adequately replaced players. If we go back to the first season back in the championship, Beckford left on a free and we replaced with Paynter, on a free. So we went from a striker who would likely have got 15 or 20 goals (maybe more but think at least 15 would certainly not be unrealistic) to someone who scored what a couple?

Problem is Radz and Orta have shown they arent capable of getting the best players for one reason or another.
Harvey Barnes, Harry Wilson, Vydra, Dan James etc.

All players we wanted last season and we ended with none, i dont have much faith in them to do it this season either, after all Radz has proven that he is cheap in the sense he will not add money to the budget.

Bielsa though may be the difference as i feel he wont accept 2nd rate targets again, Baker, Harrison, Brown etc. I think if he is to stay that he will be a lot tougher on Radz and Orta and imo thats a good thing.

We cant keep doing the same thing over and over again.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:31 am Not suggesting we sell 4 first teamers just suggesting that even if worst case scenario we did then we could still be stronger. If prem offers come in for KP and PJ then like it or not I think they would be sold as the players would want to go. But if we could then go out and say spend £3m on a decent replacement then it leaves more money to strengthen other areas.

With regards to Saiz and Ekuban I would be hesitant to count on that money until it is in the bank.
Exactly, a player is worth what he's sold for in the end. Until then he has no value.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 am We could probably get fees for Sacko, De Bock, Cibicki, Pearce (like the kid but clearly not in our plans or will play much), Grot, Ideguchi, Anita too.
we're be lucky to get hundred f**king quid for sacko !
hector

Post by hector »

I thought our transfer strategy was to pay as much over the odds as we can, for underperforming, mediocre players. :duno:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

hector wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:40 am I thought our transfer strategy was to pay as much over the odds as we can, for underperforming, mediocre players. :duno:
I think you meant to post this on the Man Utd forum.
hector

Post by hector »

weasel wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:01 am I think you meant to post this on the Man Utd forum.
:rol: :rol:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

leic white 63 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:51 am we're be lucky to get hundred f**king quid for sacko !
He's done well in Turkey, so we probably could get a decent fee.