The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 16th May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 16th May)

Post by Ellandback1 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:23 am

Good Morning Everyone

Having already defeated Derby three times this season, and having a 2-0 aggregate with three minutes on the clock to half time; you'd think the fat lady would be warming up her vocal technique ready to see off a bunch of dejected, miserable and heart broken Rams disappearing down the M1S with their tails between their legs!

Up until yesterday no club had ever turned around a first leg deficit having lost at home in the first leg - but they weren't banking on Leeds Utd going into in to self destruct mode!

Where did it all go wrong?

Here are some suggestions. Lets hear your thoughts!

We saw how good Harry Wilson was last night, as he bought this seasons tally up to 16 goals for the season. Not bad for a winger!!!

Leeds had the chance to sign Wilson but refused to pay 3m for his services. Obviously Derby jumped at the chance!

Why on Earth did Bielsa not give Brown game time towards the end of the season?

It must have been clear that the team were out of gas, and running on fumes, yet Brown was not given an opportunity!

Not strengthening in January has turned out to be a big mistake imo. I'm not even going on about the Daniel James fiasco. They were plenty of seasoned professional in the top flight that were not getting a game. Surely their experience could have come in very handy?

Were the lads over training? Is that why they were falling like flies throughout the season?

I can envisage that you could probably get away with that sort of intensive training on the Continent where warm weather and better diets may give professional athletes more durability!

We've seen what loanees like Mount and Wilson can do (25 goals between them).

Were our loanees poor in comparison?

Should Bielsa have started with Jansson instead of Berardi last night?

joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 16th May)

Post by joelufc20 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 am

What went wrong. Poor transfer windows and Bielsa has been found out. We are easy to beat. No plan B. Bielsa is a god but he's his own worst enemy. Hence why he's never won anything. Last night was down to stupidity from both the players and Bielsa. Hernandez looked fucked gave the ball away. He should have brought a CB on at half time and played for a 1-1 draw.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am

First season for Bielsa, needs to learn from his mistakes. But at the end of the day you cannot account for that moment of madness from Cooper and the complete lack of trust he had in our goalkeeper. That doesn't happen we win at a canter, everything after came from that.

We should have rested players for Ipswich, got others a little game time. Not bringing Roofe off earlier was also a misjudgment but I think he always intended to start Bamford up front for leg 2 so kept him on to see if we could get a second on the break.

The Shackleton mystery will always baffle me, we had a player, possibly better than James, sat on the bench all the second half of the season and maybe 2/3 more like him playing for the U23's.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Thu May 16, 2019 8:35 am

We saw how good Harry Wilson was last night, as he bought this seasons tally up to 16 goals for the season. Not bad for a winger!!!

Leeds had the chance to sign Wilson but refused to pay 3m for his services. Obviously Derby jumped at the chance!

Any suggestions that Bielsa wanted him? Bielsa likes his wingers to also cover when our fullbacks overlap does Wilson do that? Derby's leading scorer has scored less than 10 so is Wilson greedy to the detriment of the striker? 3 matches Wilson has done nothing, last night the ref booked every Leeds player that went near him, including Phillips simply for being clattered into by Wilson. Wilson spent most of the match sprawling on the floor and the ref gave him free kicks every time.

Why on Earth did Bielsa not give Brown game time towards the end of the season?

It must have been clear that the team were out of gas, and running on fumes, yet Brown was not given an opportunity!

Last night he was simply last man standing which is why he came on. Presuming he wasn't anywhere near 100% and unlikely to be for a few months.

Not strengthening in January has turned out to be a big mistake imo. I'm not even going on about the Daniel James fiasco. They were plenty of seasoned professional in the top flight that were not getting a game. Surely their experience could have come in very handy?
Bielsa didn't want seasoned pros. He needs players that he can mould into his way of playing. Signing players that 'are not getting a game' equates to signing players that are not match fit - so we would have likely spent 2 months getting them anywhere near fit enough to play the way they would need to in a Bielsa side. Dan James was the type of signing that Bielsa wanted because he probably saw him more as a dynamic spark to come on midway through the second half.

Were the lads over training? Is that why they were falling like flies throughout the season?

Klich played 50 matches. Very few players have done that for Leeds so if he was able to play 50 matches and still have a good game last night then the training isn't the problem.

I can envisage that you could probably get away with that sort of intensive training on the Continent where warm weather and better diets may give professional athletes more durability!

I am sure Bielsa dictates what food they eat. Have you tried training in hot weather? Believe me after living in Spain for a couple of years it is easier to train in cold weather than hot weather.

We've seen what loanees like Mount and Wilson can do (25 goals between them).

Were our loanees poor in comparison?

None of our loanees were players that looked better than their team mates. Wilson looks better than the rest of his Derby team, but not premiership class.

Should Bielsa have started with Jansson instead of Berardi last night?

I would have done but Berardi wasn't the reason we conceded the goals we did. In hindsight a Berardi & PJ combination may have been the answer.
Last edited by weasel on Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senor El Weasel

SG90
First Team
First Team

Post by SG90 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:49 am

Swings and roundabouts. If our best players were loans, we'd need to replace them without receiving a penny. I like that our best players are ours and homegrown, rather than relying on favours from mates.

No Man City or Chelsea loans please. Our own youth are better than theirs.

I would like to see us use Bielsa more as a bargaining to sign players. There must be decent South Americans who would jump at the chance to join who we could get on loan from Barca, Real, Benfica etc.
Radz out now

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 am

I hate loans as everyone knows, but I'd take Harrison for a couple of mill off MC, toward the end of the season a light turned on and he's going to be a good player for someone at this level

Advertisment