Next season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: Next season

Post by danhirons »

rab_rant wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:27 am But who would we have to put scarfs on the benches if Orta left?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
:lol:
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

danhirons wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 pm For me the best thing to happen close season would be to get rid of Orta. He's brought in (with a few exceptions) a lot of very average and poor players. If you look at the team today it hardly contained any players signed by him... The spine of the team (and best players in it) were all from before him joining...
What about the youth players everyone's raving about and who will be there or thereabouts next season?

The club have a long and medium term plan - was said promotion within 2 years for Bielsa...
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Thanks for this thread Weasel

I have to admit to being really pissed off after our loss last night. It was just one of many opportunities that we have wasted this season. Because what frustrates me is that I think the current squad of players was good enough to get promoted this season. I don't think we did better than can be expected from our squad, but we let too many opportunities slip. Maybe that is a sign of not being good enough, I don't know. I just think we had it in the bag and let it slip for whatever reason.

The irony is that it was our 'lesser players' who let us down in the last few matches but our key players who performed well below what they are capable of. Pablo has been our star all season, but in the last few matches has been poor. Cassila has had brain explosions - especially last night (though I think Cooper was more to blame than him for the first goal). Pontus has had a dip in form; and of course we've had more than our fair share of injuries.

Last night was such strange match, we appeared to either play very well or terribly at times. Bamford - who is usually a good technical footballer - barely managed to control the ball properly at times. Pablo was poor. But Phillips, Ayling, Dallas and Klich were excellent for the most part.

And that game showed how football is a game of moments and minute events. I am convinced that without us gifting Derby that goal just before half time, that we would have strolled home in the second half. Instead they lifted due to that unexpected boost and we panicked. But still we made enough chances to get a goal or two more.

So what about next season. I don't see the need for big changes, and hopefully we will hold on to this squad of players. Loanees excepted of course, as they are unlikely to be with us next season. We came so close with this squad, that all we need is a couple of players to boost the quality of the starting line-up and that should be enough to push us through the winning posts next time around.

Another central defender, another striker and maybe a creative goal-scoring winger. Easy to say of course, because such players generally don't play at Championship level. For all the supposed weaknesses that our players have, we still pushed for promotion from Day 1 till last night. And the younger players like Shackleton and Halme and Clarke and Phillips will have learnt a lot this season and will be more experienced and ready for it all next season.

And maybe Bielsa needs to be a bit more flexible with his line-ups next season. Give players a rest now and then and use the full squad a bit more.

I admit that I am still sad that we came so close but will spend yet another season (at least) in the Championship, but I also firmly believe that we have the makings of a squad that can get promoted.

Sigh, ALAW, damn, MOT, bugger and next season is our season; and all those other conflicting emotions.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I said I think Roofe will go as he has one year left and we always sell one player. Tbh, I'd rather Roofe than Jansson, Phillips or Clarke.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The key to next season in terms of resting players has to lie in taking our chances. How many times this season did we fail to convert our domination into comfortable victories where Bielsa could take players off around the 60 minute mark and give them a rest. I reckon we only won by more than a goal on a handful of occasions despite regularly having 20+ attempts at goal. Get 2-0 or 3-0 up and rest Hernadez, rest Klich, etc
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

He'd be injured anyway

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:40 am I said I think Roofe will go as he has one year left and we always sell one player. Tbh, I'd rather Roofe than Jansson, Phillips or Clarke.
Would make me incredibly sad, but would also cost 15 Mill to replace that talent. Roofe is my current Bremner - Currie - Flynn - Sheridan - Beckford.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Sell Bamford and keep everyone else.

Add a goal scoring forward who could possibly play with roofe or rotate with him.

I just hope Bielsa who seemed to be happy in Leeds stays until the job is done. A full pre-season with him and our team will be even stronger again.

Injuries can't possibly be any worse than they were this season.

We walk the league next season.

We had a good season guys - a heartbreaking end but a good season compared with the last decade.

Onwards and upwards.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

This season were were entertained with more highs than lows.
The style of play was good and we played some scintillating football.
The movement and style of play was breathtaking at times, and that is
what you want from your team... to bring joy to your heart and give you
a tingle in your fallopian tubes or as the case might be in the gonads.
Pity it did not culminate in a big orgasim at Wembley.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I had that Alfredo Morelos dream / nightmare again last night.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 pm I had that Alfredo Morelos dream / nightmare again last night.
Lord. Quality player, but everyone would be goading him and he'd be off every game. :lol:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:37 pm Lord. Quality player, but everyone would be goading him and he'd be off every game. :lol:
Yeah funny thing is that his disciplinary record in Finland was exemplary. Must be those angry Scots he gets annoyed at,,
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I think it will be hard for anyone to leave the club this summer, but someone will have to be sacrificed. :cry: Gone are the days of McCormack, Wood, Taylor, Byram etc wanting out.
hector

Post by hector »

Jansson probably wants out
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

hector wrote:Jansson probably wants out
Id go along with that . Something just isnt quite right between Janson & MB and i think it goes back to before the Villa game but certainly Janson wasnt happy being told to give Villa a goal. Radz looked to be selling him last summer but Janson wanted to stay but this time round i expect him to leave.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

If Jansson goes then we need 2 cbs.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Interesting that City in Pep Guardiola's first season in charge only finished 3rd, like us under Bielsa. That was on the back of them already being a decent team not coming from mid table with a much maligned squad. It took him the season to identify what he needed and who wasn't good enough and then the following season they walked the league with 100pts.

I fully expect, if Bielsa remains, him to do the same, strengthen where we need to strengthen, get rid of players he doesn't want even if they are big names, and we then romp to the league title. It is the finishing touches that need to be put on this team, the way we play is already implemented, the way we work when we don't have the ball, the amount of chances we create etc. All it needs is 2 or 3 key signings to add to what we have.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:10 pm If Jansson goes then we need 2 cbs.
Agreed. No idea why our fans are so desperate for him to leave. He plays on Weds we win, no doubt about it.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:17 pm Agreed. No idea why our fans are so desperate for him to leave. He plays on Weds we win, no doubt about it.
Agree.

He is our best cb no idea why anyone would want him gone.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Bristol City getting £13m for their sub LB. Absolutely no excuses for Radz to be selling our young talent on the cheap or the first offer we receive. No to anything below £20m for KP, Clarke or Shack.