Next season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Next season

Post by weasel »

Well we dust ourselves down and have to put the huge disappointment of this season behind us - we certainly don't need a hangover season next year.

Despite the disappointment huge strides have been made and it is vital that the club learns the lessons and we get stronger. First priority is keeping Bielsa, or if we don't then appointing a successor in the same mould and doing it quickly - Corberan stepping up would be my choice just to continue the way we play without much disruption and much like when O'Leary took over from George Graham he knew what we had/have in the youths. The hope would be that Bielsa stays though.

Then we need to shift players we don't want and if some big names are to be sold get it done quickly so replacements can be got in and get used to the methods. We need to quickly work out where we need to improve the team/squad and get the players in, Dan James is hugely unlikely so who else was on the list? We have had too many square pegs in round holes and we need to get players in that can play the Bielsa system properly. For all I think Roofe and Bamford are good players can either of them be a 30 goal striker because with the amount of chances we create we need someone who can. We need more goals from midfield, it isn't just the goals lacking from the left wing but when you look at Tyler Roberts's contribution from the no.10 role it was non-existent, Klich after his bright start to the season scored just a couple, KP albeit a defensive midfielder predominantly got 1. Probably the only midfielder we had that chipped in with goals continually was Pablo but he went missing tonight with his passing deserting him. We then have the lack of goals from set pieces. How many goals did we score from corners?1 i think, how many from free kicks? The penalty taking was dire too. Does the club do any work on set pieces because it certainly was an area we were lacking in this season. When you look at Engand in the World Cup it shows how important set pieces are.

Defensively and we are still inconsistent. Cooper has had a better season but there are still too many errors in his game. PJ will likely be sold, Berardi will always give his all but will always have moments leading to red cards - admittedly if the ref had given us a free kick when Berardi was fouled 3 times in the 30 seconds before his second card he wouldn't have seen red tonight but he still has the red mist moments. We need to get the understanding sorted because we have conceded too many goals like the first one tonight and that is down to bad communication.

So the club needs to be brutal this summer. Bielsa has already admitted that the players have given everything this season so it is unlikely they can make the same leaps forward next season. Some players will have reached their peak and if that isn't good enough then they need to be replaced. What do we have in the youth side, yes they have done well but is beating Coventry and Birmingham really an indicator that they are good enough to be first team players?

I have optimism for next season - I have turned the page now from this season, heartbreaking though it was - the defeat tonight just summed up what has been our problem all season - the failure to kill teams off by scoring when we are on top as we miss far too many chances and soft goals conceded, We now have the summer to get this sorted and if we do then I see us winning the title next season.

We are certainly in a much healthier situation this summer than in the majority of summers in recent years. In years gone past we probably only had 1 or 2 players that we thought were any good. If you take a team like Derby as an example, assuming they don't get promoted, then what team have they got next season if their loan players don't sign for them again? We could sell PJ and KP and I still think Bielsa would make us stronger, as long as the board reinvests the money.We lose our loan players and would we even notice they had gone?

The season is over the club needs to be working 24/7 on rectifying mistakes and making us stronger.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Next season

Post by SG90 »

If MB does go, then Jokanovic for me. He's still available and we wouldn't have to change the style of play.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Obviously we need a clinical finisher and more goals from the wing. I don't think we will suffer as many injuries as we've just been unlucky and surely our luck has to change soon.

Out:
Roofe - just because he has one year left and we will cash in
Jansson - again, want to keep him but I think his reaction at the end was that of one who's going. Deserves better than Championship.
Forshaw - offers nothing.
Berardi - too much of a liability.
Harrison - not good enough. Showed some good touches on the playoffs, but not consistent over the season.
Roberts - not convinced he's any better than our own Wilks. Maybe loan as still young.
Grot, Ekuban, O'Kane, Ideguchi, Coyle, Denton, Dalby, Sarkic, Balboa, Siddiki, Sacko.
Last edited by SG90 on Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

In:
If MB stays
Andre Pierre Gignac - natural goalscorer scores everywhere he's been, had the best season at Marseille under Bielsa.
Cesar Gelabert - replacement for Pablo as he's getting older, loan from Real Madrid.
Franchu - ooc at Real Madrid, would be a direct replacement for Saiz.
CB - replacement for Jansson and one who's better than Cooper. Like Struijk but can do with more experience.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

First thing is keep Bielsa. He showed his class becasue ge really didnt have a better squad than either TC or PH.

I wouldnt sell anyone by choice. Keep as many as possible and add what we can. It's inevitable that we'll lose 2 or 3, maybe more. I doubt we can keep Jansson, Phillips, and Clarke. Plus we're kind of losing Hernandez, he got really ineffective at the end of the year and probably needs to be playing less minutes next year.

I'd keep as many as we can and add to it with the U23's. Shackleton, Gotts. Bogusz, Strujik, Edmundson, Kun, all getting more playing time. Then, hopefully Bielsa still here, gets to pick the 3 or 4 players he wants to sign.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm not doing the kneejerk who must go thing. We were the better team over two legs and we lost it with a moment of madness. Derby looked very poor to me over the two legs.

We're not getting back what we paid for Bamford so we may as well keep him. I think we need to keep the continuity as these players will get better with a couple of additions.

I'm good with Ayling, Jansson, Douglas, Phillips, Klich, Hernandez and Roofe starting. They're all top quality championship players. Assuming they stay. We need a new captain (Klich for me) A CB partner for Jansson (who needs to clear the air with Bielsa to stay imo) The best AMF we can afford and find..and a starting left winger, though I wouldn't rule out getting Harrison back. He certainly finished fairly strong and really should have had two assists tonight as well as the killer pass in the first leg. If City let us have him at a snip I'd bite.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:53 pm Obviously we need a clinical finisher and more goals from the wing. I don't think we will suffer as many injuries as we've just been unlucky and surely our luck has to change soon.

Out:
Roofe - just because he has one year left and we will cash in
Jansson - again, want to keep him but I think his reaction at the end was that of one who's going. Deserves better than Championship.
Forshaw - offers nothing.
Berardi - too much of a liability.
Harrison - not good enough. Showed some good touches on the playoffs, but not consistent over the season.
Roberts - not convinced he's any better than our own Wilks. Maybe loan as still young.
Grot, Ekuban, O'Kane, Ideguchi, Coyle, Denton, Dalby, Sarkic, Balboa, Siddiki, Sacko.
I think most would agree with that. Roofe is a tricky one as he has improved a lot this year but can he improve and can he be a 30 goal a season player? Like you say with 1 year left now might be the best time to cash in as his value will be high. Roberts has potential although what position he is best in is a tricky one and is he good enough to be a starter in any position? Grot out of the loaned out players is possibly the only one that has the potential and with his size and speed could be a very good player.

I definitely feel a centreback or two is essential. I like Cooper and he has improved a lot but he still has too many bad games, and as a defender bad games cost goals. For me he would be excellent as the 3rd choice cb as he was when we had Bartley and PJ.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Wilks, Bogusz, Gotts, Struijk, Kun and Edmondson should all feature more next season as well.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would anyone take Pukki from Norwich, he was a journeyman striker before this season and probably isn't prem class.

I'd love to get Che Adams from Brum too, seems a very Bielsa player playing the 10 role
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would you want Roofe playing against you next season though? He's probably not prem quality so we'd have to sell him to a rival
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Problem is money, Radz will not spend so what we have in funds will have to be raised by sales so make the squad weaker.

If Radz doesnt get a ton of stick for this then he is very lucky because he has personally helped screw this up.

Dont want to hear his excuses, all i want to hear from him is that he will back Bielsa 100%, every player Bielsa wants will be signed.

Dan James was not the only player Bielsa wanted i never believed that.

Bielsa made calls for "players better then what we had".

Players not player.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

For me the best thing to happen close season would be to get rid of Orta. He's brought in (with a few exceptions) a lot of very average and poor players. If you look at the team today it hardly contained any players signed by him... The spine of the team (and best players in it) were all from before him joining...
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 pm Problem is money, Radz will not spend so what we have in funds will have to be raised by sales so make the squad weaker.

If Radz doesnt get a ton of stick for this then he is very lucky because he has personally helped screw this up.

Dont want to hear his excuses, all i want to hear from him is that he will back Bielsa 100%, every player Bielsa wants will be signed.

Dan James was not the only player Bielsa wanted i never believed that.

Bielsa made calls for "players better then what we had".

Players not player.
Tbh if radz didn't have the money to spend in January then he just doesn't have it... Can't really blame him for not being richer! Plenty of owners out there who don't have a huge amount of money to pump into their clubs...

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sell over the summer. The investment from that American baseball team was it?! Smacked of a severe shortage of cash.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm Would anyone take Pukki from Norwich, he was a journeyman striker before this season and probably isn't prem class.

I'd love to get Che Adams from Brum too, seems a very Bielsa player playing the 10 role
Definitely take pukki but no way Norwich will sell him. Maybe a loan in January if he isn't a hit in the first half of the season...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 pm Tbh if radz didn't have the money to spend in January then he just doesn't have it... Can't really blame him for not being richer! Plenty of owners out there who don't have a huge amount of money to pump into their clubs...

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sell over the summer. The investment from that American baseball team was it?! Smacked of a severe shortage of cash.
Personally i dont think its a case of not having it.

I think its more he is unwilling to risk it, stadiums have value, training grounds have value, those largely keep the value as an asset.

A player can be worth £10mil on Monday then £1mil on Friday.

I think Radz is just to cautious, remember reading about his business troubles the general consensus from those experts was Radz was just unwilling to lose money in the short term for potential long term gain.

That for me is why he doesnt invest transfer wise, to much of a risk.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Can't even begin to think about next season.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Need to keep the core and add to it. No idea why you'd get rid of Roofe - he'd have had 20+ if he hadn't got injured.

Stop. Blaming. Radrizzani.

Bielsa said he wanted James and for all intents and purposes the club signed him. One man having a paddy stopped that and he then left his role.

He also said he was happy with his squad. The man is honest to a fault and has previous with walking away when he doesn't get what he wants - why would he lie about this?
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

danhirons wrote:For me the best thing to happen close season would be to get rid of Orta. He's brought in (with a few exceptions) a lot of very average and poor players. If you look at the team today it hardly contained any players signed by him... The spine of the team (and best players in it) were all from before him joining...
But who would we have to put scarfs on the benches if Orta left?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

whiteswan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:59 pm Can't even begin to think about next season.
My thoughts exactly Swannie, I’m absolutely devastated, I’ve read all sorts of stories blaming this and that, pointing the finger etc, I think we have to look back and think the average squad which started the season performed miracles week after week and we suddenly thought we have a chance but for me it was a case of 2 or 3 off days losing to QPR, Wigan and Ipswich which ultimately cost us, fine margins.
I’ll have a few weeks before considering next season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteswan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:59 pm Can't even begin to think about next season.
Not necessarily about us thinking about next season but that the club needs to be thinking about next season and getting things right that we have got wrong previously.