Playoff Issue

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Playoff Issue

Post by Cjay »

Always thought the Playoffs are a flawed system.

The idea is sound, but the way they are setup is wrong imo.

There is no distinction or advantage based on finishing position.

So you can have a side like us who have been top 2 most of the season who fade away and finish 3rd being beaten by a side who have had a very average season but found some form late on.

Imo the side that finishes 3rd should have some form of reward for the superior season.

5th and 6th play a two leg game.
The winner plays 4th in a 2 leg game.
Finally the winner meets 3rd at Wembley.

That way teams are rewarded for the finishing position.

Thoughts?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Playoff Issue

Post by HarryofOz »

The issue for the third placed team is such a system is that who ever they play will have played four matches over that period of time - which must be at least two or three weeks. They will be match sharp while the third placed teams will have lost that sharpness sitting on the sidelines.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

radebe88 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:58 am I think i agree but it might only be because it us in that situation lol. Although I think that would make the team that finished 6th look even more triumphant if they pulled it off.

I also quite like how the germans do it. top 2 are automatic and the 3rd placed team places the 18th placed team in the top division. makes it proper winner takes all.
I prefer that system too, doesn't the Scottish league also have that?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

What about the teams in third, fourth, fifth and sixth playing each other once. The higher placed team gets home advantage. Whoever finishes top of the mini-league goes up. If two or more teams finish on equal points at top of that min-league, then the team that finished higher/highest in the league goes up.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:01 am The issue for the third placed team is such a system is that who ever they play will have played four matches over that period of time - which must be at least two or three weeks. They will be match sharp while the third placed teams will have lost that sharpness sitting on the sidelines.
yep beat me to it...3-4 weeks on no football could be very disadvantageous
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

All the ideas on here have their merits but also their flaws.
At present we currently have 15 more points than the team in 3rd and it could be more by the end of the regular season so to us right now the current system seems flawed.
But if we were one of the sides in with a chance of 6th we would probably be glad it exists in it's current format.
It is what it is and we have to get on with it who ever we end up facing.
With the exception of Middlesborough, we have beaten all of the teams we could face in the play offs so we have nothing to fear.
Who knows, Sunday's game against Villa could be a rehearsal for the play off final?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Same principle in the Op but instead make it a one off match.

3rdd plays 4thwinner straight into final.

Loser plays winner of 5th and 6th. Winner of that goes into final.

Home advantage in first games to highest placed side.

Simple.

Happens in the IPL and works a treat as it properly rewards the higher placed teams but still gives a chance to all.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:01 am The issue for the third placed team is such a system is that who ever they play will have played four matches over that period of time - which must be at least two or three weeks. They will be match sharp while the third placed teams will have lost that sharpness sitting on the sidelines.
Great point Harry
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Think in the 80's the 2 division side played a play off game with 1 division for promotion or to remain. Didn't we play Charlton on more than one occasion.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:54 am Think in the 80's the 2 division side played a play off game with 1 division for promotion or to remain. Didn't we play Charlton on more than one occasion.
I think we only made the play-offs once

The only times that they had a team in the top division as part of the play-offs was when they wanted to reduce the number of teams in the top division. So they either had four go down and three go up or three go down and two go up, depending of the play-off result. They did this over a couple of seasons reducing the number of teams in the top division by two from 22 to 20.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I'd scrap them altogether. There's no justification for it in sporting terms, it's just another money spinner for the tv companies.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:54 am Think in the 80's the 2 division side played a play off game with 1 division for promotion or to remain. Didn't we play Charlton on more than one occasion.

Yes we did, 1987, matches all square after 2 games , both dides wi ning 1-0 at home third game at a neutral St Andrews, 0-0 t full time, the 15,000 of the 18,000 crowd going beserk, only for them to score 2 late goals, they stayed in divisipn 1 , we stayed in division 2.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'll probably go for the Kleenex Mansize with the balm .....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sorry "Issue" ...as you were
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Be careful suggesting play off changes to the EFL we could end up with a situation that says which ever position LUFC finish they must play the bottom three teams in a hope that at least one of them beat LUFC giving the EFL the right to relegate said LUFC to make sure they stay in the EFL to ensure the rest of the world remains interested in the EFL
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Just heard some news from my cousin re the playoffs. According to Radio Leeds we may not get home advantage in the second leg, due to West Yorkshire Police deciding on whether we should have the early or late kick off slot......A disgrace if that is the case! Has anyone else heard this?
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

the second legs are on a tues and wed evenings 7.45.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

whiteswan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm Just heard some news from my cousin re the playoffs. According to Radio Leeds we may not get home advantage in the second leg, due to West Yorkshire Police deciding on whether we should have the early or late kick off slot......A disgrace if that is the case! Has anyone else heard this?
Hi Rosie
Police do get a say re kick off times . If it ends up a Brum derby it may well be that we play later on Saturday as they probably want to limit alcohol consumption.

Which does bugger up my plans as Weds evenings ( 2nd leg) are tricky for me.

I don't see how who gets home advantage would be affected though.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:54 pm Hi Rosie
Police do get a say re kick off times . If it ends up a Brum derby it may well be that we play later on Saturday as they probably want to limit alcohol consumption.

Which does bugger up my plans as Weds evenings ( 2nd leg) are tricky for me.

I don't see how who gets home advantage would be affected though.
Who's Rosie? :shock: :lol:
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

Looking like Derby at the moment if they hold on against Swansea!