The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 25th Apr)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 25th Apr)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Disciplinary staff at the FA have written to Leeds following reports that Leeds fans were throwing coins at Wigan players during the second half.

The Whites are already under investigation for the same offence in late March when Leeds fans in the South Stand were throwing coins at the Millwall players!

Have you seen this happen before at ER?

If you did, would you say or do something?

Is it acceptable?

Who remembers Lasogga?

The big German was on loan at ER scoring 10 goals in 33 appearances. Leeds shied away from signing him due to his £50,000 wages, the same as Casilla and Harrison.

This season (for Hamburg) the 27yo has scored 19 goals in 27 appearances.

Bearing in mind Leeds have created more chances than any other Championship club, who would you rather have as a no 9?

Roofe

Bamford

Lasogga

Leeds trio Liam Cooper, Pablo Hernandez and Pontus Jansson have all been named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year.

Let us hope that they will all be with us next season!

Should we not go up next season, which players (if any) would you expect to lose in the Summer?
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 25th Apr)

Post by Ratscoot »

Good Morning EB and all

Disciplinary staff at the FA have written to Leeds following reports that Leeds fans were throwing coins at Wigan players during the second half. The Whites are already under investigation for the same offence in late March when Leeds fans in the South Stand were throwing coins at the Millwall players!

Have you seen this happen before at ER? If you did, would you say or do something? Is it acceptable?

Not seen coin throwing in person myself but have seen flags thrown, I personally think it’s ridiculous and shows the club and fans in a bad light. Would I say anything probably not as these days your likely to at least get abuse at worst a kicking and mainly these aren't real fans just idiots or hangers on

Who remembers Lasogga?

The big German was on loan at ER scoring 10 goals in 33 appearances. Leeds shied away from signing him due to his £50,000 wages, the same as Casilla and Harrison. This season (for Hamburg) the 27yo has scored 19 goals in 27 appearances.

Bearing in mind Leeds have created more chances than any other Championship club, who would you rather have as a no 9?

Roofe he suits the style of player better as he’s far more energetic than the other two

Leeds trio Liam Cooper, Pablo Hernandez and Pontus Jansson have all been named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year. Let us hope that they will all be with us next season!

Should we not go up next season, which players (if any) would you expect to lose in the Summer?

Pontus, Bamford (please), Harrison (please), Roofe, Dallas, Berardi, Forshaw
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Coin throwing

The South Stand were booed by the Kop at the Wigan game for throwing objects, some of those idiots need banning. No I wouldn't approach them as I've witnessed too many Leeds on Leeds incidents during heated moments

Lasogga

No we need a mobile, powerful, prolific No.9 in our ranks, if we had one we'd have gone up as champions

Players leaving our club

There's already a bid on the table for Phillips so if we fail to go up Kalvin will go

Lower prem clubs could be looking at Pontus & Cooper

Don't be surprised if a premiership or a ambitious championship club offers Pablo a nice contract too good to refuse so we could easily lose our best player

:cry: :( :verysad:

Players I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they left Leeds. Many championship players I've seen this season have more quality than these seven

Berardi
Forshaw
Alioski
Douglas
Dallas
Bamford
Roofe

Sadly I do think all seven will remain at Leeds next season

Harrison & Brown are not our players so hopefully we'll shut the ER doors on these two
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Well done to Cooper, Jansson and Hernandez. Fully deserved.

The only player I'd be happy to lose is one who is replaced by a better player.

Roofe - Bamford - Lassoga
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Nope its never acceptable, moronic behaviour.

Interesting, people will say Roofe because he is more mobile then Lasogga and Bamford is a scapegoat but Bielsa teams traditionally had a Lasogga type striker not a Bamford or Roofe. So a fully fit and motivated Lasogga would probably be the more ideal striker if Bielsa sides of old are an indicator.

Agree with Harry, whoever goes has to be replaced by better.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
gessa

Post by gessa »

Coin throwing is totally unacceptable, as Chris Brunt of West Brom found out when hit just below the eye by one of their own fans, could have lost his eye if it was 1 inch higher, idiotic behaviour, anyone caught should be banned for life.

Roofe out the 3 for me, nothing wrong with the other 2 but neither really suit our style, our form and scoring suffered with the Roofe injury.

I'm pretty sure Cooper and Pablo will be here next season regardless of what division we're in. Jansson is a different one, no evidence but just have a feeling Bielsa doesn't want/rate him, I expect he'll be gone either way.

If we do go up we'd need at least 6 signings, whether we use the extra finance from the PL or player sales to finance them is the question .
We need
CB
LB
DM
AM
LW
CF
Actuary if we don't go up, we will still need them.

Again regardless of what division we're in, I don't expect any of the players out on loan to feature in the first team, so a mass exodus there. Bring in a few quid and save a good amount of wages.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 am

If we do go up we'd need at least 6 signings, whether we use the extra finance from the PL or player sales to finance them is the question .
We need
CB
LB
DM
AM
LW
CF
Actually if we don't go up, we will still need them.
:rol: :rol: :rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 am
I'm pretty sure Cooper and Pablo will be here next season regardless of what division we're in. Jansson is a different one, no evidence but just have a feeling Bielsa doesn't want/rate him, I expect he'll be gone either way.
Hope so mate we need to keep hold of as many of our better players for next season. I fear at least two will go.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:31 am Hope so mate we need to keep hold of as many of our better players for next season. I fear at least two will go.
Do you really see any premier league team coming in for either of those 2 and both seem happy here. There's been lots of comments recently about the Cooper of old returning to his game.
Lots of ifs and buts still, we really can't plan for anything until we know what division we're in.
I'd love to see what Bielsa can do if he had a squad of players of his choosing, the most important thing is to keep hold of Bielsa, regardless where we are.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Disciplinary staff at the FA have written to Leeds following reports that Leeds fans were throwing coins at Wigan players during the second half.

Is it acceptable?

No, of course not. I'm not one for torch-and-pitchfork/Twitter outrage, but these are physical attacks perpetrated by thugs. Not banter, not chanting, not saying naughty words but physical violence. As such, this isn't just a club matter but one for the police and I hope these tossers don't blight ER again.

Tricky one. Lassoga bagged a brace his first game, when the fortunes of the team were rising under TC. When they crashed and burned he took a lot of flak when, because of the type of forward he is, he suffered from lack of chances. Would he have been in his element this season?

I would say maybe, but for one thing - his age. He was no spring chicken when he signed for us and I don't think he would've met Bielsa's exacting physical standards. Pablo did but he's Pablo, an exception, a fine wine giving us his best years. I'm not convinced the same could be said for Lassoga

Jay-Roy Grot may have been a different matter. I'm genuinely curious as to what Bielsa could've made of that young lad.

Leeds trio Liam Cooper, Pablo Hernandez and Pontus Jansson have all been named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year.

Let us hope that they will all be with us next season!

I think Pablo will finish his career with us and I wouldn't have it any other way. Much as I like and appreciate them, Cooper and Jansson are not superstar defenders. They are Championship standard or bottom table PL standard - if they weren't they wouldn't be here. If they were better than I've suggested, we'd be safe in the autos.

Because I respect their efforts and I'm still affectionate towards the pair I don't hope they are both replaced like worn out parts over the summer should we go up, but similarly I can't bring myself to hope they're still here if we have the opportunity to sign even one better CB in the summer.

Hmm, not counting loanees? And 'expect' to lose instead of 'hope' to lose? It pains me to think of it but I have to say Phillips. He's blown me away over the collective season, learning a demanding position, coming back from performance, mentality and injury setbacks to grow even stronger. I've got major respect for this lad, and so have Premier League clubs. I can't see us resisting a £20mil+ bid but I can't help but feel he'd be really missed next season if he moved on.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lassoga arrived unfit and never really did much to improve that, slow as a WW1 tank with all the agility too. Plus he just stood there and waited most of the time, defenfders marking him probably walked about 100 yards all game

Phillips might go but not for 20M, I'd take 10 at a drop of a hat, 5 and I'd want to keep him.

Bamford and Roofe are completely different strikers, Bamford is more a complimentary player and Roofe a Lineker type who needs to play off the ball,.

We play a single striker So Roofe and Bamford means we have 24 goals from our striker position this season, plus whatever Roberts scored when he was forced to plasy striker. That's not a bad return, Couple that with a double digit winger
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:10 am Bamford and Roofe are completely different strikers, Bamford is more a complimentary player and Roofe a Lineker type who needs to play off the ball,.

We play a single striker So Roofe and Bamford means we have 24 goals from our striker position this season, plus whatever Roberts scored when he was forced to plasy striker. That's not a bad return, Couple that with a double digit winger
Unconvinced about your theory mate

These three have scored more or the same as than Bamford/Roofe combined

Teemu Pukki (Norwich)
Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa)
Neal Maupay (Brentford)

And these combinations really do show where we failed

Gayle/Rodriguez (West Brom) = 44
Sharp/McGoldrick (Sheff Utd) = 38
Pukki/Hernandez (Norwich) = 36
Adams/ Jutkiewicz (Brum) = 35
Bowen/Campbell (Hull) = 33
Graham//Dack (Blackburn) = 29
Roofe/Bamford (Leeds) = 24

Ten more goals from our two strikers & promotion would have been achieved by now
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I have to agree with Leon. I think both Bamford and Roofe are good strikers but neither are very good. I think whatever division we are in next season we will need to get a more consistent goal scorer who is likely to get 20+ goals a season. Roofe and Bamford can be his back-ups or his partner if we change our formation.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

The problem with that comparison is those teams play the combinations together, as out and strikers, ours is one or the other, other than a few substitute appearances.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:21 pm Unconvinced about your theory mate

These three have scored more or the same as than Bamford/Roofe combined

Teemu Pukki (Norwich)
Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa)
Neal Maupay (Brentford)

And these combinations really do show where we failed

Gayle/Rodriguez (West Brom) = 44
Sharp/McGoldrick (Sheff Utd) = 38
Pukki/Hernandez (Norwich) = 36
Adams/ Jutkiewicz (Brum) = 35
Bowen/Campbell (Hull) = 33
Graham//Dack (Blackburn) = 29
Roofe/Bamford (Leeds) = 24

Ten more goals from our two strikers & promotion would have been achieved by now
Very true mate, was going to make the point myself. If Roofe hadn't been injured extensively then I think his tally would've reached 25 at least by now. But those combinations you've listed are between players who start together reguarly, and not 2 strikers. A better example for us would be Pablo/Bamford or Pablo/Roofe - striker with effective midfield pairing.

Regardless, you're still right - 14 goals from the team's top scorer just isn't promotion form. Injury has been a cancer for us this season, not helped when we actually spend money on players who are injured to begin with. :duno:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I had a dream last night we replaced Bamford and Roofe with Morelos from Rangers.

Crazy idea but he actually has the attributes of a Bielsa No 9...

Who would I get rid off? Jansson Roofe and Cooper. Harrison has to go back. Brown? Dunno maybe. (It would be a pity to have never got to see him over an extended run of games. ) But I would see if anyone was interested in those players. Mainly because they might bring some coin and also save some wages.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:44 pm The problem with that comparison is those teams play the combinations together, as out and strikers, ours is one or the other, other than a few substitute appearances.
It does show they put the ball in the net more regularly than our two do & I bet my bottom dollar Bamford & Roofe have more chances to score than the majority of those strikers.

How many chances have they missed with just the keeper to beat ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:27 pm I have to agree with Leon. I think both Bamford and Roofe are good strikers but neither are very good. I think whatever division we are in next season we will need to get a more consistent goal scorer who is likely to get 20+ goals a season. Roofe and Bamford can be his back-ups or his partner if we change our formation.
Roofe extrapolates to 26/27 if he plays the full season, he's played about half a season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I do believe Bielsa will be looking at a complete overall of his squad in the summer.

Adding more quality, possibly Spanish/South American acquisitions, plus stronger players with pace & those who can handle pace defensively.

Right now our squad is one of the smallest in the championship, soft bellied & easily knocked off the ball with no pace wherever you look at our current first XI, arguably the slowest in the championship.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:14 pm Roofe extrapolates to 26/27 if he plays the full season, he's played about half a season
Guesswork particularly as Roofe didn't score in eight games prior to his injury