Straw Clutching

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Straw Clutching

Post by Cjay »

Wolves vs Sunderland, Wolves had an opportunity to get past 100 points and secure there legacy as a truly great Championship side, they fielded a strong side which included Jota, Coady, Costa and Neves. Sunderland were done for, relegated ages before, 65 points separated the 2 sides. Sunderland won 3-0 at home.

Cardiff and Fulham fighting for 2nd on the last day vs Reading and Birmingham both needing a win to guarantee survival.

Fulham were on fire, unbeaten since December, ended up losing 3-1.

Cardiff playing in front of an expectant Cardiff crowd at home only managed a draw vs Reading.

The best home side in the league played the worst away side in the league, the away side went down to 10 men in the 15th minute and ended up a goal down soon after, they won 2-1 (remember ).

WBA drew at home to Reading yesterday, Norwich struggled to draw at home vs Sheffield Wednesday the other week, a side who we totally dominated frustratingly.

Sheffield United aren't immune to pressure, they have dropped quite a few points having taken the lead first.

Ipswich are undoubtedly the worst side in the league, but they have stood toe to toe with the better sides on quite a few occasions.

Drew with Sheffield United in the reverse fixture.
Also drew with teams like Derby, Norwich, WBA, Bristol City.

And freedom can do funny things, look at the Sunderland vs Wolves result. Admittedly Wolves were clearly on the beach, but it was a strong and dominant  Wolves side against a Sunderland side with nothing to play for who had been dreadful all season (Sunderland actually took 4 points off Wolves last season).

Obviously  this is very hopeful and wishful thinking and everyone fully expects Sheffield United to beat Ipswich and if they do credit to them for lasting the pace while we faded.

But a packed and very expectant Bramall Lane crowd will be at the game, with that comes pressure and when you are playing a side with nothing left to lose that can throw up some funny things.

We have royally screwed this up in front of a packed and very expectant Elland Road vs Wigan, a home banker most people thought.

But maybe just maybe the footballing gods will have one final twist.

:shhh:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Straw Clutching

Post by Sara »

Is that a glint of optimism from you, Cjay?

It isn't over until it's over, and we have already shown we can pull off unexpected come backs this season. Our rivals have also shown that they are fallible. It's certainly not impossible.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Keep clutching straws until they turn to dust, just in case they turn golden, because that is why people follow sport.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Never has a post on here had a more appropriate title.
I work with people (Ipswich fans obviously) who were at Portman Road on Monday against Swansea and by their own admission, they were awful.
The fact that they are already relegated, I can't see them getting anything against the Blunts. In their last away game they lost 4-0 at Preston.
They're already on the beaches of Majorca, Ibiza etc
At least we will know our fate by the time we face Villa.
We're not even guaranteed third place yet, two defeats and we could end up fourth.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am Never has a post on here had a more appropriate title.
I work with people (Ipswich fans obviously) who were at Portman Road on Monday against Swansea and by their own admission, they were awful.
The fact that they are already relegated, I can't see them getting anything against the Blunts. In their last away game they lost 4-0 at Preston.
They're already on the beaches of Majorca, Ibiza etc
At least we will know our fate by the time we face Villa.
We're not even guaranteed third place yet, two defeats and we could end up fourth.
Ipswich cost Darren Moore his job, let's not forget, by holding WB to a draw at home, and no one seriously thought they had any chance in the relegation battle even then. Those Ipswich players have been on those sunny beaches for a long time now, mate.

It's unlikely, very unlikely, but it has happened before as Cjay mentioned. I think the rampant unpredictability of football, aside from it causing me to stop doing accumulators, is enough for both us and our team to avoid going into the Villa game with heads down and shoulders slumped.

It's unlikely, very unlikely, that the situation will turn around now but it has happened before and will happen again. All we can do is wait and see if this is one of those occasions.

Honestly, I think it's more likely that we'll beat Villa and then go and lose to Ipswich based on recent results...
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Best you could hope for is they get a draw at the blunts, which still leaves us having to get a win against Villa to have any hope. Not impossible by any means, at least we’ll know by the time we take the pitch. If they win, Brown Shackleton and Clarke need a run, see if one of them can spark something that would lead them to getting game time in the playoffs
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 am Is that a glint of optimism from you, Cjay?

It isn't over until it's over, and we have already shown we can pull off unexpected come backs this season. Our rivals have also shown that they are fallible. It's certainly not impossible.
Blind optimism Sara :-D

If Barcelona can be held to a draw by Huesca in La Liga (19th in the league) then anything can happen.

It aint over till its over.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Honestly, I think it's more likely that we'll beat Villa and then go and lose to Ipswich based on recent results...

I'm phoning in sick if that happens and it costs us automatic promotion :sick:
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:05 pm

I'm phoning in sick if that happens and it costs us automatic promotion :sick:
I'll take that over Lampard knocking us out of the POs... :verysad:
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Surely Sheffield won't choke on this opportunity they've been doing it without some personal so can't see any upsets at Bramball lane.

Can't see us going up through the play off's but would be unreal and Wembley will be rocking. Will hold on to any hope until it's realistically impossible.