LUFC Greatest Moments

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

LUFC Greatest Moments

Post by YorkshireSquare »

As part of a little project for 100 year anniversary of the club would anyone be prepared to give us their greatest moment being a Leeds United fan and one paragraph about it?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: LUFC Greatest Moments

Post by HarryofOz »

My first live Leeds United match

On Saturday, 24 September 2005, I sat with some friends in a train from Burnley to Leeds for my first ever live competitive attendance at a Leeds match (I had seen them play in a friendly in Australia previously, but that is not the same thing is it?).

Arriving in Leeds and then going to Elland Road the anticipation was building. For not only was I going to see the mighty Whites in action, but I was also going to meet up with a number of people who had become my online friends through the various Leeds fans' message boards. On we went to the Peacock for a few drinks and a lot of introductions, hand shakes and hugs. A wonderful and joyous experience for me.

Finally it was time to troop into the famous Elland Road stadium and head for the Kop. Standing in the Kop, there were more new/old friends to meet and of course the chicken balti pie to consume.

The performance by our team was not the best to say the least, and we succumbed 2-0 to the visitors from Ipswich.

But the result was by-the-by, a win would have been fantastic, the icing on the cake of a wonderful day out.

But to me, it didn't matter so much, the experience of meeting all my wonderful online friends, who proved to be as friendly in real life as they were online, was enough for me.

Marching on together.

Sorry, more than one paragraph
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:35 am Sorry, more than one paragraph

No worries Harry, that's great!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:59 am No worries Harry, that's great!
Cheers Adam
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

For me it goes back to the championship win in over Wednesday 92. The game was live on TV. That first half display of attacking football sticks in my mind to this day. Tony Dorigo especially from LB ran wild as Leeds hit Wednesday again and again down the flanks. That first half was played at 100 miles an hour. Even a dodgy penalty conceded when one of the Weds players tripped over fresh air in our box did nothing to dampen Leeds spirit. Dorigo scored an absolute screamer of a FC and had a couple of assists. Chapman scored twice showing his poaching instincts, Strachan raiding forward at every opportunity. We hit the bar, had ones saved off the line. Great shots turned around the post. All this in front of the Leeds fans who were going nuts behind the goal . I was jumping up and down on the settee. We could have had 8 in the first half. It looked like we would score with every attack. Wilko had out thought them tactically but the players bullied them, rushed them and totally brushed aside a quality team in their own back yard.. That first half of football was the best I have ever saw Leeds play. At Halftime I wanted to rush out into the street and grab someone to bring them in to watch what was happening. Second half we scored another 3 to run our 6-1. Chappie with a Hattrick. Leeds had crossed the Rubicon. There was no going back. Even though it was only January I knew we were going to win the League. When I got to work on Monday my ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal loving workmates felt it too. I could see it in their eyes. At last, finally, after all these years. We were Leeds, and they would give us the respect we deserve.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

I'd say the biggest buzz coming out of a game had to be the Viduka 4-3 Liverpool game. 2 down within 20 minutes and getting totally over run, we could have easily been 4-2 down at ht but no, we had a chance at 1-2, after all we finished the half the stronger. We came out the second half in a positive mood and in little time made it 2-2, only to go behind again on the hour. The battling side for which the team were known, came to the fore, Dacourt took control of the midfield and we were soon level, then with 75 minutes on the clock Viduka struck again for his and Leeds 4th.
It was all more of an achievement, not only was it a strong Liverpool side, but we were down to the bones, O'Leary only naming 4 substitutes and Woodgate being replaced by Danny Hay just before the Liverpool second goal.
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

The European Cup semi final second leg at the Nou Camp and listening to the game on the radio and the plaudits Leeds received afterwards ( I remember the Daily Mail headline the following morning to this day : “ Leeds , you were magnificent “ ) .

The next day I had to go on a 20 mile walk for charity with my school in the scorching heat and got sunburnt . I didn’t care , I was just too ecstatic . And even all the kids who hated Leeds came over to me during the walk and said they were brilliant . The most magical 24 hours supporting Leeds that I can remember which hasn’t been dimmed with the passage of time ( or being robbed in the final ) .
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

billie1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:14 pm The European Cup semi final second leg at the Nou Camp and listening to the game on the radio and the plaudits Leeds received afterwards ( I remember the Daily Mail headline the following morning to this day : “ Leeds , you were magnificent “ ) .

The next day I had to go on a 20 mile walk for charity with my school in the scorching heat and got sunburnt . I didn’t care , I was just too ecstatic . And even all the kids who hated Leeds came over to me during the walk and said they were brilliant . The most magical 24 hours supporting Leeds that I can remember which hasn’t been dimmed with the passage of time ( or being robbed in the final ) .
Same sides, but oddly enough the 2000 Champions League home group fixture for me.

My sixteen year old self had to settle for watching the game on the telly, but given the weather that night I'd almost, almost convinced myself I was better off. What a glorious time to be a young Leeds fan, watching an exciting team brimming with young talent with the world at their feet. It was in the cold, wet North that we stood firm as the mighty Barcelona laid seige to our proud Elland Road fortress.

It was a game of heroics. From Bowyer's free kick that showed we were just as capable of world-class feats as the visitors to the Boy Wonder Robinson almost reducing Rivaldo to tears of frustration with his Jedi reflexes, to that agonising last-kick equaliser, for me the final whistle was the magic moment. Although the score was level, that whistle drew the curtain on an eve of just about every emotion it was possible to feel. I've rarely felt more alive since.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks everyone, great memories so far.

Any of our more senior members got any great memories from our glory years of the 60s/70s?
hector

Post by hector »

Saturday afternoon 3pm, this was it...... I was going to watch Leeds for the first time ever....cans of pop at the ready and bags of crisps on standby, me and my mates were ready. The roar of the crowd was tremendous, the atmosphere was building and building.... then the tune.... Marching on Together. Kick off, we had a player booked before I had chance to blink, and the pace was fast and furious (to coin a catchphrase :) ) the woodwork was hit a couple of times, and all of a sudden it was half time... Lots of furious discussion about who was the best out there with non of us agreeing... then they were back, we just had chance to get into the match again, and we heard those immortal lines.... " Jones.... clarke..... one nil"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not sure I can contribute too much. I have one of those memories that lives it, then forgets it. Seen too many Leeds games home and away to recall specifics and quite frequently results. I have seen us lose an awful lot in the late seventies, through the 80's. Never been to a "big" game or any cup game. My first was around 77 at Portman Road ..1-0 to us and not sure who scored now..one of the very few games where I went with someone else. I think I went on my own around 95% of the time in my battered Cortina. I absolutely hate coaches. Remember being lined up against the wall at Southampton by the police and not allowed to go in to the game for some reason (The Dell). Stood there for what seemed hours before being allowed to get back on the train about 30 minutes in. Only time that happened to me

Stood in the Shed with Chelsea mates a few times, quietly nodding to myself when we scored. Yeboah scored on one occasion there, again couldn't nail down the exact year but 90-95 maybe..Think that one was a 2-0 win.

That's about it, no stories of great comebacks or triumphant wins, I never saw us win at Loftus Road in all the games I went there I know that..usually sat behind one of the pillars
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

More a personal note for me the anticipation of my Very first ..( always the best I supose )Leeds United kit. Had a 'ol rag of a top and shorts back in time think i was barely 7 years old. Then the moment of all moments when i not just eyed the latest new full Leeds United kit but owned one all to myself .Wow! I wasnt to much of a player but boy.o' boy did I feel like one and looked good in it aswell
That gorgeous yellow away with the narrow blue& white trim.,and the socks to match that was '1975. And thought I was wee Billy .
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

paddy parrott wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 pm That gorgeous yellow away with the narrow blue& white trim.,and the socks to match that was '1975. And thought I was wee Billy .
I bought that kit and remember keeping the packaging ( a plastic bag ) so I could put the kit back in it after it was washed . I kept up that routine for months . Believe it or not , all these years later , I’ve still got the socks .
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Viewers of ‘Match of the Day’ had been fed on a diet of Leeds United brilliance in the weeks before the FA Cup Quarter-Final clash with Tottenham Hotspur and in this match Spurs were devoured by Leeds United with another sizzling show. The famous 7-0 demolition of Southampton and the 5-1 thrashing of Manchester United had shown Leeds at their arrogant best. Although the 2-1 win over Spurs was slender there was an enormous gulf in class between the two sides. Leeds matched, if not bettered their displays against Southampton and Man U. Only a world class performance by Northern Ireland International Pat Jennings prevented a landslide. Leeds played near perfect football in the first half when they were attacking the ‘Scratching Shed’ end. Goals from Clarke & Big jack were just reward as Leeds fought back from a fluky goal scored by Spurs No.4 John Pratt.
I feel privileged being at Elland Road witnessing three of the greatest Leeds United performances in our history. The Spurs cup-tie still remains my favourite Leeds match of all-time over the 55 years I've supported the Whites through thick & thin
gessa

Post by gessa »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:14 pm Same sides, but oddly enough the 2000 Champions League home group fixture for me.

My sixteen year old self had to settle for watching the game on the telly, but given the weather that night I'd almost, almost convinced myself I was better off. What a glorious time to be a young Leeds fan, watching an exciting team brimming with young talent with the world at their feet. It was in the cold, wet North that we stood firm as the mighty Barcelona laid seige to our proud Elland Road fortress.

It was a game of heroics. From Bowyer's free kick that showed we were just as capable of world-class feats as the visitors to the Boy Wonder Robinson almost reducing Rivaldo to tears of frustration with his Jedi reflexes, to that agonising last-kick equaliser, for me the final whistle was the magic moment. Although the score was level, that whistle drew the curtain on an eve of just about every emotion it was possible to feel. I've rarely felt more alive since.
Now that was one of the worst feelings for me, we were so close to beating one of the best teams in the world, worst of all the cheating yet brilliant Rivaldo getting the goal, with what 10 seonds to go. I kicked the seat in front eff'd and blinded for much of the next half hour and probably most of the 2 hour journey home.
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:57 pm Viewers of ‘Match of the Day’ had been fed on a diet of Leeds United brilliance in the weeks before the FA Cup Quarter-Final clash with Tottenham Hotspur and in this match Spurs were devoured by Leeds United with another sizzling show. The famous 7-0 demolition of Southampton and the 5-1 thrashing of Manchester United had shown Leeds at their arrogant best. Although the 2-1 win over Spurs was slender there was an enormous gulf in class between the two sides. Leeds matched, if not bettered their displays against Southampton and Man U. Only a world class performance by Northern Ireland International Pat Jennings prevented a landslide. Leeds played near perfect football in the first half when they were attacking the ‘Scratching Shed’ end. Goals from Clarke & Big jack were just reward as Leeds fought back from a fluky goal scored by Spurs No.4 John Pratt.
I feel privileged being at Elland Road witnessing three of the greatest Leeds United performances in our history. The Spurs cup-tie still remains my favourite Leeds match of all-time over the 55 years I've supported the Whites through thick & thin
This was John Giles’s favourite moment too , so you’re in good company Leon !
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Lots of visits to Leeds before a standout in the 70's . The 3rd replay at Filbert Street v Ipswich. Lost 3v2 on the night but 4 games to get through a fa cup 1/4 final, brilliant stuff and local. Many highlights before and after.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

billie1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:43 am This was John Giles’s favourite moment too , so you’re in good company Leon !
I didn't know that Billie :-D Giles is my favourite player along with Bremner

Shame it was only a quarter-final, had it been a cup final it would have been hailed as one of the greatest performances not only here in the UK but worldwide too !
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

gessa wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 am Now that was one of the worst feelings for me, we were so close to beating one of the best teams in the world, worst of all the cheating yet brilliant Rivaldo getting the goal, with what 10 seonds to go. I kicked the seat in front eff'd and blinded for much of the next half hour and probably most of the 2 hour journey home.
It was indeed the first time my dad let my use the F word without a clip round the ear. Gut-wrenching finale, but a night that was all the more memorable for it. I'll just say I'm using the word 'greatest' in the size/scope sense. :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 am It was indeed the first time my dad let my use the F word without a clip round the ear. Gut-wrenching finale, but a night that was all the more memorable for it. I'll just say I'm using the word 'greatest' in the size/scope sense. :)
:)