Bottled it

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Bottled it

Post by Cjay »

Time and time and time again.

Wigan had 10 men and had 7 points in total away from home.

Bottled it vs Stoke.
Bottled it vs QPR
Bottled it vs Sheffield United.
Bottled it vs Norwich
Bottled it vs Birmingham.

So many chances to take advantage and we always conspire to f**k it up.

Do our players lack bottle?

Seriously because today was a disgrace.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Bottled it

Post by SG90 »

I said that Henry Winter article would jinx us and no one believed me. Another year in this league then.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

They clearly don't lack bottle. Was a bad day at the office against a team who set up well. That's the blueprint that Birmingham set out early in the season and I'm surprised more teams haven't done it.

6 games of 43 to have stinkers is pretty good going in my opinion.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:05 pm I said that Henry Winter article would jinx us and no one believed me. Another year in this league then.
I hope not :(
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Genghers wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:12 pm They clearly don't lack bottle. Was a bad day at the office against a team who set up well. That's the blueprint that Birmingham set out early in the season and I'm surprised more teams haven't done it.

6 games of 43 to have stinkers is pretty good going in my opinion.
They had 10 men for most of the game and had a grand total of 7 points away from home all season.

Our players looked panic stricken, cool heads needed but we had none.

No excuse for that performance.

Sick of it :(
Signed

King Cjay

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Totally hacked off with the performance and result, but even more than that I can't stand the negativity. Two hours of Eddie 'Private Frazer' Gray's dour, miserable whining, and now this. Buckle up, everybody, and keep supporting and fighting 'til the last minute, it isn't over yet!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:20 pm Totally hacked off with the performance and result, but even more than that I can't stand the negativity. Two hours of Eddie 'Private Frazer' Gray's dour, miserable whining, and now this. Buckle up, everybody, and keep supporting and fighting 'til the last minute, it isn't over yet!
Tbf Eddie sounds depressed even if we are winning :lol:

Its not over true :)

But today hurts and today was another golden opportunity we didnt take advantage of.

Humph.
Signed

King Cjay

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

It was gutting, horrible to watch, and worst of all utterly predictable. The second I saw us giving the ball away so cheaply after Bamford's goal I said there would be trouble and so it transpired. Still plenty of points to play for but none should have been easier to acquire than playing a bottom of the table team a man down, at home and a goal up with all the advantages. It wasn't as if Massey is flipping Messi, it was just lazy, lax passing, complacent defending and simply unwatchable delivery and finishing. Roberts and Harrison getting robbed at will like kids and their players dancing around ours at will, it's happened too many times this season.

It's clear Bielsa is the manager we've been waiting for but he will have to start asking some serious questions of this squad and get ruthless with selection. If we fail to go up, ruthless with transfers. Bottled it? That's still to be seen. But I will gladly pack the Blades' bags for them now if we carry on playing like that because it will not be earned, nor justified. I wonder if Cooper's leadership would've made the difference here today but that's neither here nor there.

Sorry to rant but although I rarely get angry with football, that was just too poor at too crucial a point in the season. I'll leave this here and move on to the next game.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

They thought they’d won before kick off, a couple of early warnings then the worst thing to happen Wigan get a player sent off we miss the pen then score, the team then went into exhibition game mode, seemed every player was desperate to score so loads of poor efforts with no reward. Then once we went behind we couldn’t change and get back into our normal mode lots of efforts not enough quality
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Today would rip the soul out of you, such a massive opportunity to take a big step towards the Premiership and we blew it, have given up the advantage to Sheffield Utd, but there’s three games to go, all winnable, all losable, same for them.
We looked like a team who talked about not letting the pressure get to them, relax and play our game, which we did, but we got to the final third with ease and every single time we did the same thing and played into Wigan’s hands. I haven’t been this dejected after a game in a long time, the rollercoaster carries on...
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

My tuppence ' worth was defensively we were out muscled for goals of course and were on front foot all game that complacency cost the whole team. Midfield , and forward s aren't physically able, when Wigan & that kind come to do battle.We must improve the resolve to start battering at the next 3 games.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

It seemed that something came over the players after the first 30 mins when we were in control.

Then they got uneasy. The crowd picked up on it.

Missing our skipper today who could have maybe did some talking.
But we are so lightweight on the ball at times and we see the same thing time and again.
Break, no defensive positioning, goal. But we were warned, just before that Harrison had almost sold the ranch and Kiko needs to learn that he isn't a sweeper. He actually makes me uneasy at times.

Attacking.

Player receives the ball, one touch, takes a second, looks up and isn't sure what his options are. Then another touch, by this time the oppo is back in position. Looks around. Two lines of blue. Closed down. Then a meaningless ball into the box.
Rinse and repeat.

But Bamford should have been throwing himself at some of those crosses today.

Not over. We will need to show character. The players will be hurting tonight, that is for sure.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Still pretty raw, feels like but we've blown it, but it's not over yet.

3 games left, we need to match the Blades in 2 and do better than them in one.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I really do think it's now or never. Fulham will be really strong, as will the wendies under Bruce. A new 3 year cycle of ffp, so the likes of Derby and Forest will be spending big again. Whoever doesn't go up of WBA, Boro and Villa too. Not sure what to make of Town, but their parachute payments will blow us out of the water financially.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So frustrating.

Norwich pushed to the absolute limit by Sheffield Wednesday.

But for Westwood (who didnt play today) we would have beat Wednesday by 4 or 5.

Yet against Wigan, when the pressure is on, we cant show any consistency.

We wouldn't win the playoffs, to mentally fragile.

Today feels like a defining moment in our season.

Can anyone see us getting anything from Brentford or Villa?

It could be all over on Monday :(
Signed

King Cjay

LovettLeeds
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LovettLeeds »

Norwich result today showed that an easy promotion ride isn’t promised for anyone. Terrible result for us against a terrible team, but I think second place will still be ours.

My fear is that if we do have to face the play offs, that this team won’t be able to handle it mentally, especially when the play offs are won and lost based on chances taken and clinical finishing. Two things we just aren’t doing at the moment.

But still, keep the faith. We’re all well used to this by now.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

LovettLeeds wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:54 pm Norwich result today showed that an easy promotion ride isn’t promised for anyone. Terrible result for us against a terrible team, but I think second place will still be ours.

My fear is that if we do have to face the play offs, that this team won’t be able to handle it mentally, especially when the play offs are won and lost based on chances taken and clinical finishing. Two things we just aren’t doing at the moment.

But still, keep the faith. We’re all well used to this by now.
Totally agree, we need to be clinical in front of goal, something that has pi55ed me off all season, posesion is great if you convert the chances...we are pretty crap at scoring we need twice as many chances as every other team
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Velotrax wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:59 pm Totally agree, we need to be clinical in front of goal, something that has pi55ed me off all season, posesion is great if you convert the chances...we are pretty crap at scoring we need 10 times as many chances as every other team
Fixed that for you.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Cjay wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:54 pm Can anyone see us getting anything from Brentford or Villa?
We're perfectly capable of beating them both.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:57 pm We're perfectly capable of beating them both.
Absolutely...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"