The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 18th Apr)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 18th Apr)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

It looks likely that Marcelo Bielsa will name the same starting XI that edged pasted Sheffield Wednesday last week.

The big question is, if you were Kemar Roofe, would your nose be out of joint?

Who's the better striker? Bamford or Roofe?

How does the young crop of talent emerging from Carlos Corboran's U23's compare to O'Leary's babes from the late 90's

It is interesting to see the values that have been put on every Championship side, and their asetts!

Do you agree with these values?

1. Stoke City

Squad value: £115.43m

League position: 16th

Most valuable player: Jack Butland - £16.2m

2. West Brom

Squad value: £103.46m

League position: 4th

Most valuable player: Jay Rodriguez - £10.8m

3. Aston Villa

Squad value: £98.78m

League position: 5th

Most valuable player: Jack Grealish - £18m

4. Middlesbrough

Squad value: £78.17m

League position: 7th

Most valuable player: Britt Assombalonga - £9m

5. Nottingham Forest

Squad value: £70.88m

League position: 11th

Most valuable player: Joao Carvalho - £9m

6. Derby County

Squad value: £68.27m

League position: 8th

Most valuable player: Martyn Waghorn and Tom Lawrence - £4.5m

7. Leeds United

Squad value: £59.40m

League position: 2nd

Most valuable player: Kalvin Phillips - £6.3m

8. Swansea City

Squad value: £56.48m

League position: 13th

Most valuable player: Leroy Fer - £7.2m

9. Norwich City

Squad value: £48.96m

League position: 1st

Most valuable player: Jordan Rhodes and Max Aarons - £4.5m

10. Bristol City

Squad value: £43.74m

League position: 6th

Most valuable player: Famara Diedhiou - £5.4m

11. Hull City

Squad value: £43.16m

League position: 9th

Most valuable player: Jarrod Bowen - £7.2m

12. Sheffield Wednesday

Squad value: £43.11m

League position: 10th

Most valuable player: Fernando Forestieri - £4.5m

13. Brentford

Squad value: £42.98m

League position: 14th

Most valuable player: Neal Maupay - £9m

14. Reading

Squad value: £42.84m

League position: 19th

Most valuable player: Liam Moore - £6.3m

15. Sheffield United

Squad value: £41.13m

League position: 3rd

Most valuable player: Jack O’Connell - £4.5m

16. Queens Park Rangers

Squad value: £31.95m

League position: 17th

Most valuable player: Massimo Luongo - £4.05m

17. Birmingham City

Squad value: £30.2m

League position: 18th

Most valuable player: Che Adams - £6.3m

18. Blackburn Rovers

Squad value: £25.79m

League position: 15th

Most valuable player: Bradley Dack - £6.3m

19. Wigan Athletic

Squad value: £23.99m

League position: 21st

Most valuable player: Nick Powell - £3.15m

20. Preston North End

Squad value: £22.5m

League position: 12th

Most valuable player: Callum Robinson - £3.15m

21. Ipswich Town

Squad value: £21.02m

League position: 24th

Most valuable player: Jonas Knudsen - £1.35m

22. Bolton Wanderers

Squad value: £19.04m

League position: 23rd

Most valuable player: Yanic Wildschut - £2.7m

23. Millwall

Squad value: £16.52m

League position: 20th

Most valuable player: Jed Wallace and Jake Cooper - £1.8m

24. Rotherham United

Squad value: £6.84m

League position: 22nd

Most valuable player: Billy Jones - £900k
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 18th Apr)

Post by Irish Ian »

I'm not quoting all that, we might run out of bandwidth....

Roofe knows that if he is to play as striker he will have to play second fiddle to Bamford.
He knows he will get his chance coming off the bench at least.

Hard to say about the young uns. But one way or another I think we will find out next season.

Squad values. How is this decided? Past transfer fees? Wages ? Roll of s dice?
Assets? What does that include? Who has the smallest debt?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

It will be the same starting line-up tomorrow without doubt.
I don't think Kemar Roofe is likely to sulk. He was out for quite a while and Bamford got a few goals in that time.
And he looked well off the pace when he came on against Wednesday. He may well have to settle for the role of 'impact sub' for the rest of the season.

Hard to say regarding the current crop of U23's but there are many who could hold their own in the first team right now.
Exciting times for the club indeed.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The team values look about right to be fair, though how much a player is worth is down to how much another team wants to pay.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:42 am The team values look about right to be fair, though how much a player is worth is down to how much another team wants to pay.
Agreed.

But the Che Adams is low, Brum turned down £12m in January, talk around here is Burnley and Douthampton will be back with £15m offers at the end of the season but Brum want £20m. So he'll probably go for £18m
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB et al

As Faaip says, a player's value depends on the need of the buyer. It also depends on how long he has left on his contract.

Re Roofe. He has no reason to be pissed off (and I'm sure he isn't). Bamford is the current starting player and is the match-sharp player.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:42 am The team values look about right to be fair, though how much a player is worth is down to how much another team wants to pay.
Agree with this

Applies to rare records/collector items & things in general

Some of those values posted up by Elland seem really low in football terms
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Right now Bamford is a better option than Roofe
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning everyone, I'll be away from the internet for the most part over the bank holidays so I'll say now, have a great Easter wherever you are and let's hope the next time I post we'll be 9 points clear of the Blunts!

It looks likely that Marcelo Bielsa will name the same starting XI that edged pasted Sheffield Wednesday last week.

Who's the better striker? Bamford or Roofe?

I'm sure the answer in that lies in goals per minute stats and such but right here and now we're winning games and Bielsa will want to disrupt that formula as little as possible. Roofe says the team effort and overall goal is more important than his own, but in his private heart he's still a striker with his own career to think about and he'll be waiting for Bamford to slip up so he can force his way back into the starting lineup. His job is to play football and that's what he wants to do above all else.

I personally think Bamford does more for the team than some think. When he recieves the ball it's very diffcult for the opposition to take it off him. He finds space, drifts to the wing if required and he really allows us to play our possession game well. The only real problem right now is his finishing - and as a striker that's his raison d'etre. If he doesn't score more goals then Roofe will replace him when we go up.

How does the young crop of talent emerging from Carlos Corboran's U23's compare to O'Leary's babes from the late 90's

Bielsa's Babes? They could well be. I get very excited watching these young lads and I imagine they'll be shutting up a lot of folks complaining we don't spend enough over the coming seasons.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Roofe has looked miles off the pace in the games he has come off the bench, credit to him for getting back to fitness but clearly he needs time to get match sharp and unfortunately we dont have that time, bench role for Roofe from now till the end of the season imo. Can still play his part though, his energy and work rate can be crucial in the closing stages closing down and harassing the opposition and also for the break.

To answer the question, Bamford for me is the better player overall imo and has been unfairly cricitsed by certain fans who dont appreciate the things he does that dont always end in goals but are crucial at the time.

The young lads are certainly very exciting, whether they are on the same level as O'Leary's lot is unknown, i am a bit disappointed that MB has used them so sparingly as i would have preferred to see some of the old guard phased out, players who imo will not make in in the Prem.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Cjay wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm The young lads are certainly very exciting, whether they are on the same level as O'Leary's lot is unknown, i am a bit disappointed that MB has used them so sparingly as i would have preferred to see some of the old guard phased out, players who imo will not make in in the Prem.
I feel the same way to an extent, but I think our table position throughout the season has determined that side of things. If we weren't looking to get promoted I've no doubt Bielsa would've blooded a few more of them but he doesn't want to take chances, and the sheer pressure of maintaining our run of results could be crippling for a young, undeveloped sportsman - particularly if results go against us and the responsibility falls on their shoulders. Bielsa has spoken openly about the mistakes he's made when crafting the incredible array of talent over the years (see his comments about Crespo) and he will never risk putting too much on a youngster, if only because he knows how that can affect them years down the line.

That said, should we secure promotion with games to spare I would definitely give them minutes. No expectation, no pressure, just get out there and play your heart out in front of the faithful.