Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic

Poll ended at Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
No votes
2-2
No votes
3-3 or higher
No votes
1-0
No votes
2-0
50%
2-1
No votes
3-1
30%
3-2
No votes
0-1
10%
0-2
No votes
1-2
10%
1-3
No votes
2-3
No votes

Total votes: 10

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Medium.jpg
....................................................Leeds Utd V Wigan Athletic
...............................Good Friday at 3pm
..........................Streaming links to follow

Hi Folks

Wigan will be full of confidence for their visit to Elland Road on Good Friday following their 1-1 draw against Norwich last weekend.

Only a late goal by Canaries goal machine Teemu Pukki saved the Championship leaders from their seventh league defeat of the season.

Bielsa certainly won't be taking Wigan lightly. He sent six of his scouting team to watch the Latics at Carrow Road.

Wigan may be two points from the drop zone, but their need for three points is as desperate as Leeds

Liam Cooper is still on the treatment table, and a major doubt for Friday. Berardi is on standby.

Roofe is knocking on the door of a first team recall - will Bamford keep his place?

Meanwhile, the Blades have a lunchtime kick off against Nottingham Forest at Bramall Lane.

They will be without Billy Sharp (injured) and Chris Basham (suspended).

Speaking at his presser Chris Wilder was asked about the three point gap to Leeds and retorted: "The last time I looked it was only 3 points. The school I went to was quite a decent one so we are still in with a shout. One big win can change everything."
gessa

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread

Post by gessa »

I would keep Bamford in atm, after he went off against Wednesday we didn't keep hold of the ball as much up front, giving Wednesday more of the ball than they had the rest of the game, Roofe as looked miles off the pace, the 2 games he's come on. Don't expect any changes other than Cooper back in if fit but personally I wouldn't do that, Berardi had a very good game Saturday.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Same line up. Sounds like Cooper will be touch and go, so probably best to be on the bench if he's not 100%.

I'd love us to put a couple away in the first half and ease the nerves. Could do with the goal difference still!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

It is all going to happen very quickly now.

Friday/ Monday/ Sunday/ Saturday.

We have been handed a lifeline, we got one hand on it last Saturday. Now is the time to take possession of it. Keep our foot firmly on the neck of Mr Wilder. Maybe he will be forced to use our name in his next interview.... :tup:

Do what we are good at all season keep the ball, create chances, but Messrs Roofe, Harrison and Roberts please, you really need to improve on your conversion rate. ..The need to be clinical . It has eluded us all season. Do the simple things well.
You can do it.
But.
No more excuses. "It is a tough league" " We have ordinary players doing well"
Forget that. You are the strongest squad in the league.
You are brothers.

Another full house at Elland Road in front of a massive TV audience.
Privilege, pressure or both??
These are the games the players dream of.

We have went from hope to expectation in less than 7 days.

No fairytail win for the underdog. Kill them off, show the growing world audience that there us something specialhappening here.
This is not just a promotion race. This is something more. This is a revolution.

We are on the verge of seeing LUFC rise from the Ashes of the fire set by overconfidence, naivety, mismanagement, criminality? embarrassment, heartbreak, frustration, false dawns. Dashed hopes year after year.

I'm curently sat following Citae and Spurs play thrill a minute football in the CL.

That is where we belong. On the big stage. Not here.

So it needs to begin with three points taken from survival prospects Wigan.

So please.

On Friday, stay fit, stay on your feet, stay sharp in front if goal.

If you do it will come.

Come on You Leeds!!

Dunno about you lot but I am bricking it.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Keep the same line up as much as injuries will allow. Wigan won’t be easy but they do have the worst away record in the division, it’s up to us not to show any mercy and go for the jugular right from the first whistle.
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:24 pm It is all going to happen very quickly now.

We have been handed a lifeline, we got one hand on it last Saturday. Now is the time to take possession of it. Keep our foot firmly on the neck of Mr Wilder. Maybe he will be forced to use our name in his next interview.... :tup:

Do what we are good at all season keep the ball, create chances, but Messrs Roofe, Harrison and Roberts please, you really need to improve on your conversion rate. ..The need to be clinical . It has eluded us all season. Do the simple things well.
You can do it.
But.
You are brothers.

No fairytail win for the underdog. Kill them off, show the growing world audience that there us something specialhappening here.
This is not just a promotion race. This is something more. This is a revolution.

We are on the verge of seeing LUFC rise from the Ashes of the fire set by overconfidence, naivety, mismanagement, criminality? embarrassment, heartbreak, frustration, false dawns. Dashed hopes year after year.

I'm curently sat following Citae and Spurs play thrill a minute football in the CL.

So please.

If you do it will come.

Come on You Leeds!!

:celeb: Well said.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:24 pm It is all going to happen very quickly now.

You can do it.
But.
You are brothers.

So please.

If you do it will come.

Come on You Leeds!!

Inspiring words and I can't think of anything better to say. Bamford up front as before, keep doing what we're doing and save Coops for the last few games to be safe. Our captain deserves to be on that pitch when we go up.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

We'll last week I went down the spa resort to totally relax and we won and the others didn't....so it looks like I'm going to have to do it all over again. .well somebody's got to

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

I've booked a half day off work for this one - Had to play the "practising catholic" card....
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Doire_Boi wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 am I've booked a half day off work for this one - Had to play the "practising catholic" card....
Just a white lie then, I’m sure you’ll be saying plenty of Hail Marys :P
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Wigan have only picked up 7 points away from home all season.

That makes me nervous given we have a habit of dropping points when we are in a position to take advantage against teams in dire form.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Problem is end of season form seldom replicates rest of season form, a lot more factors involved. I'll be happy with a 1-0 home win
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 am Problem is end of season form seldom replicates rest of season form, a lot more factors involved. I'll be happy with a 1-0 home win
Same here, whether we win 1-0 or 4-0, the magic number is 3 - points. Worrying about GD is a luxury, as that will only improve by winning games and if we're doing that, then we're up anyway, simple as that.
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

Up and at them Leeds, I disagree with settling for a 1 nil win, goal difference could be the difference of automatic promotion or the lottery of the play offs, go one nil up and keep playing, sit back and we are asking for trouble, as I said weeks ago the warmer weather and slicker pitches suit us as they did early season, show no mercy and seize the moment MOT
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Sitting back is certainly not something Leeds should consider at any time, suicidal tactics. Play their natural game and 3 points should be nailed on tomorrow and hopefully a few goals will be a bonus but it's points that are the most important and if it's just 1-0 then so be it. C'MON LEEDS YOU CAN DO IT !!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Doire_Boi wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 am I've booked a half day off work for this one - Had to play the "practising catholic" card....
Ha! I've used that one before. ⚽️ ☦️
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Newport white wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:19 pm Up and at them Leeds, I disagree with settling for a 1 nil win, goal difference could be the difference of automatic promotion or the lottery of the play offs, go one nil up and keep playing, sit back and we are asking for trouble, as I said weeks ago the warmer weather and slicker pitches suit us as they did early season, show no mercy and seize the moment MOT
Good point about the playing conditions. I have been amusing myself by rewatching the highlights from last August. Replicate that sort of play and we wont have a problem.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Someone needs to shackle Reece James... he could cause us trouble.
Big strong lad, rans at defences at pace and has an eye for goal
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 pm Someone needs to shackle Reece James... he could cause us trouble.
Big strong lad, rans at defences at pace and has an eye for goal
Agree. Phillips ought to have his number though, and they don't seem to have much else about them.

Nothing less than a win today.

Do I put myself through the Sheff match before?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Same team that started v the Owls for me unless Cooper is fit to start