Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic

Poll ended at Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
No votes
2-2
No votes
3-3 or higher
No votes
1-0
No votes
2-0
50%
2-1
No votes
3-1
30%
3-2
No votes
0-1
10%
0-2
No votes
1-2
10%
1-3
No votes
2-3
No votes

Total votes: 10

leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread

Post by leedsmad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:02 am

BGwhite wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:51 pm
Struggle to beat Millwall, lost at Brum now lost to Wigan. This is not a team who are about to reach the PL. Maybe it's all caught up with them and the pressure is just too much...well it wouldn't be the first time .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
And we only beat Preston because they had a player sent off after that we scored the 2 goals .

We absolutely screwed this one big time , we have to go to a ground where we haven't won in 70 years Brentford.....Play offs could be confirmed for us on Monday , if we loose or draw and the the blunts beat Hull i think that could be curtains cause of there superior goal difference . The blunts have got Ipswich a week later at home ( 3 points there ) and we got Villa where a draw would be our best hope IMO .
We had it all in our hands and now ????
If they can't handle a Wigan side with 10 Men at home well Premier League isn't there destination .

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:14 am

I've been awake most of the night wondering how we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

Ultimately the table doesn't lie.

We're where we are because we're not consistent enough. We play well for two matches and then bottle it in a big match like we did against Brum, blunts, and Norwich.

But this is the worst of the lot as it was in our hands and Wigan put it on a plate for us.

The most telling stat for me is that until yesterday we won every match where we scored first, but that ended with a whimper.

I watched the two goals we conceded and they were caused by dreadful defending. We've gone backwards at a crucial time and given it back to SU, who had literally given it to us several times.

Still three to play, but in my opinion these guys do not have the composure or bottle to get the job done.

Hopefully they get Cooper back and he can put some steel into them.

What a golden opportunity pissed down the drain.

Irish Ian
First Team
First Team

Post by Irish Ian » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 am

I joked a while back about PTSD but I am wondering if it is true this time.

I could hardly sleep thinking about yesterday.

Every time I think of yesterday it makes we angry. I couldn't even begin to look at footage from the game on Friday.

I know that in the grand scheme of things it is only a sport and fades into significance when you consider what people are going through in RL. But this is maybe a warning to me to personally to take a step to one side and get on with the more important stuff.

Until Monday anyway...
"We can wait for the next game with serenity"

"I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it"

Marcelo Bielsa.

leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 am

Now we go back to relying on Sheffield to slip up as we are not in control anymore.
We need Sheffield at the very least draw to Hull and we need to win our last 3 games that is the only we can guarantee ourselves now for auto's now, with Brentford away and Villa at home we are up against it now and play off's might be our only route to the Premier league.

leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:52 am

Irish Ian wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 am
I joked a while back about PTSD but I am wondering if it is true this time.

I could hardly sleep thinking about yesterday.

Every time I think of yesterday it makes we angry. I couldn't even begin to look at footage from the game on Friday.

I know that in the grand scheme of things it is only a sport and fades into significance when you consider what people are going through in RL. But this is maybe a warning to me to personally to take a step to one side and get on with the more important stuff.

Until Monday anyway...
I can relate to your sentiments and I also had a sleepless night, my weekend has been ruined cause I really thought this weekend was a step closer in confirming our Promotion but I don't think we are good enough and that is what I'm struggling to get my head around.

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:07 am

leedsmad wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:52 am
I can relate to your sentiments and I also had a sleepless night, my weekend has been ruined cause I really thought this weekend was a step closer in confirming our Promotion but I don't think we are good enough and that is what I'm struggling to get my head around.
Ian and LeedsMad,

Seems like we're all suffering. I'm still stunned that they failed to win this match, and if we don't go up this is the one that's done it.

I was actually gonna finish work early yesterday to dash home and watch the match. But thought would those players do that for me? Would they f**k.

So I told the Mrs to meet me for a meal and walk in the city centre as I chose not to put Lufc before my family for once in my life. But I still take this performance and result to heart.

Those players should be sat down and shown videos of the fans and Bielsas pain as they watched that performance. Maybe then they'll understand what this all means to us and they should want to put things right.

As I said a while ago, it doesn't matter what we think, it's up to the players and coach to want it more than the blunts and that needs to be reflected in performances.

BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BGwhite » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:47 am

While there's still hope there's a reason to be optimistic however based on what happened yesterday I have changed my opinion from just a few short weeks ago. Getting promotion may do Leeds more harm than good unless big time quality players are brought in who can handle the pressure cooker that is LUFC but we all know that Radz isn't the guy to do this . Unless someone buys him out and injects big money the club will probably get relegated which could set the club back years possibly never recovering. Until that person arrives this club will do better to stay where they are with the current squad and build for a more secure future. We are not ready to compete in the PL with this squad nor will Radz provide sufficient funds. Stay put and build on what we have with someone more affluent at the helm.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:20 am

BGwhite wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:47 am
While there's still hope there's a reason to be optimistic however based on what happened yesterday I have changed my opinion from just a few short weeks ago. Getting promotion may do Leeds more harm than good unless big time quality players are brought in who can handle the pressure cooker that is LUFC but we all know that Radz isn't the guy to do this . Unless someone buys him out and injects big money the club will probably get relegated which could set the club back years possibly never recovering. Until that person arrives this club will do better to stay where they are with the current squad and build for a more secure future. We are not ready to compete in the PL with this squad nor will Radz provide sufficient funds. Stay put and build on what we have with someone more affluent at the helm.

I agree.

1 more season here to bring out the youngsters, get some better players in, and I think we will win this league next year, and a lot sooner than the last 3 games.

Then we will be ready to go up.... because as BG says, we are not ready this year.
In keeping with modern trends, I have decided to identify as a bedside lamp

It is so illuminating!!

:) :)

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:06 am

Another factor in our inconsistency is that our recruitment has been generally poor this year:
Brown - injured, and not played now he's not injured
Baker - shite
Blackman - not played and then got a season ending injury
Bamford = injured a lot, then can be hit or miss
Casilla - the one real success
Bogusz - one for the future, but not deemed ready yet by MB - but Harrison is ready???? wtf
Douglas - promised a lot, but hasn't been the player he was for Wolves, then again Wolves are a better team with better players to select from, also injured

We missed James and that could have been the pace and creativity we needed to get over the line.

Anyway, MB will stick with Harrison, Alioski, Roberts, Berardi and Dallas and we can watch our promotion hopes fade into the sunset.

So if this is the case, why is everyone saying how great Orta is?

BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BGwhite » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:28 am

White Riot wrote:Another factor in our inconsistency is that our recruitment has been generally poor this year:
Baker - shite
Bogusz - one for the future, but not deemed ready yet by MB - but Harrison is ready???? wtf
Douglas - promised a lot, but hasn't been the player he was for Wolves, then again Wolves are a better team with better players to select from, also injured

We missed James and that could have been the pace and creativity we needed to get over the line.

Anyway, MB will stick with Harrison, Alioski, Roberts, Berardi and Dallas and we can watch our promotion hopes fade into the sunset.

Orta has got out of jail because of MB's coaching skills making the 1st team squad appear better than it really is and also due to the 23's having a tremendous season . This summer is make or break for this club in everything they do.

LUFC 1966
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by LUFC 1966 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:51 am

Seasons not over and I will not accept defeat until it is mathematically impossible for us to get 2nd. This team turned up against WestBrom when we expected to get spanked so why not against Villa. Blunts have Hull and Stoke to play so not necessarily a walk in the park . Bielsa is not God but someone who has polished. T**d and got us believing again. Keep the faith .
The only way is up :scar1 :shirtw: :shirtw:

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:30 am

hector wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:20 am
I agree.

1 more season here to bring out the youngsters, get some better players in, and I think we will win this league next year, and a lot sooner than the last 3 games.

Then we will be ready to go up.... because as BG says, we are not ready this year.
As long as Marcelo is at the helm

SG90
First Team
First Team

Post by SG90 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:43 am

White Riot wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:06 am
Another factor in our inconsistency is that our recruitment has been generally poor this year:
Baker - shite

Orta's got lucky through the success of the u23s, the only good recruitment we've had. His signings for the first team haven't been good enough. The fact we're still relying on the Monk team says it all. Not to mention all those players out on loan we need to shift too, going to have a large upheaval come the summer.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

SG90
First Team
First Team

Post by SG90 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:45 am

1964white wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:30 am
As long as Marcelo is at the helm
Yep it's imperative he stays. Another season in the Champ and he'll be aware of what we need, plus he will really bring on the u23s. To be third in his first season isn't bad at all, Farke came 14th last year for example.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

Mick Jones shoulder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Mick Jones shoulder » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:52 am

God I was annoyed yesterday, but as they say it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Blunts I'm pretty confident won't take maximum points. We can but christ it has to be better than the shower of s**t performance yesterday. I really hope Bielsa makes changes, stubborness is not a good trait in anyone. Here's hoping people 🤞

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:01 pm

White Riot wrote:
Baker - shite
A pile of dirge tbh

All done on the cheap with the exception of Bamford however we swiftly retrieved the £7m by selling Vieira. Casilla undoubtedly our best signing which has Bielsa mockers all over this signing
White Riot wrote:
We missed James and that could have been the pace and creativity we needed to get over the line
When we needed to splash the dosh at the beginning of January not the end of the month on James we p*ssed about which goes with the terrority in transfer windows at Leeds.

After Swansea's game yesterday

Daniel James is "a phenomenal talent" who has the speed of a "motorbike" and is destined for big things, according to Rotherham manager Paul Warne.

"The best players at the best clubs are the ones who cause you problems and he is definitely up there," Warne said.

"He will go on to have a great career, no doubt. I think he is one of the top two players in the league - my other is the Aston Villa captain (Jack Grealish). Those two win games on their own.

"He (James) absolutely annihilated us at our place - he was unplayable. I knew we had to curtail James' pace which is a joke, it's like he's on a motorbike."

Had we signed James we'd be promoted by now, we may even have gone up as champions.

Once again we've created our own downfall
White Riot wrote:
Anyway, MB will stick with Harrison, Alioski, Roberts, Berardi and Dallas and we can watch our promotion hopes fade into the sunset
As I posted in another thread half our squad consists of average or inexperienced players, not a recipe for success!
White Riot wrote:
Because we won the U23's league. Sod the real stuff !

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Mick Jones shoulder wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:52 am
God I was annoyed yesterday, but as they say it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Blunts I'm pretty confident won't take maximum points. We can but christ it has to be better than the shower of s**t performance yesterday. I really hope Bielsa makes changes, stubborness is not a good trait in anyone. Here's hoping people 🤞
What changes can he make with such a limited squad at his disposal

Apart from Cooper the team he started yesterday is about as good as it gets :(

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 pm

White Riot wrote:
Baker - shite

I think you're completely mistaken about Douglas, injured when playing well..injured again as he was just starting to look loke his old self. There's a lot of quality there and we'd be a much much better team with him at LB.

Very rough on Beradi, are you one of those praising Ayling slagging and slagging off Beradi. He did ok yesterday out of position (He's a right sided defender and was one of our standouts early season before, again, a long lay off.

Brown was always a gamble, he still doesn't seem up to speed nor trusting enough of his knee. Blackman was a bridge keeper, Baker - I'll give you. But probably the only one we truly missed on.

Way to early to come to conclusions but up to now I'd rate the job done by Rads and Orta as decent to good with a very high ceiling and solid foundations
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm still extremely angry about yesterday's performance for two reasons.
1) I am angry with myself for allowing myself to get caught up in all the 'Leeds are going up' hype. I even had us 6 points clear of Blunts come 5.00pm yesterday! I believed.....and as one of the resident pessimists on here (the other being haighy) it was shameful on my part to be taken in!
2) The absolute joke of a performance from our players. Absolutely unbelievable utter rubbish! Still fuming.....

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm

I think a lot of that must fall on Bielsa's shoulders and he has taken the blame..The Alio experiment has looked dodgy for weeks, the insistence of sticking with a player that really hasn't come up to speed in this league this season other than flashes, the lack of pace not just up front but also in front of the back 4 has left us vulnerable to the same type of goal week in week out.

Problem is we've kind of made our bed as way too late to experiment with new formations and tactics. Also lets not forget that we were without the entire left side of our defence. I'll say it again as I did at the time ...Douglas is a massive loss and Cooper needs to get back soon.
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Advertisment