Points required ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Points required ?

Post by mothbanquet »

Villanois wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 pm I for one look forward to you moving on from this 3 point advantage and hope that you finish as champions and for us to win the play offs, obviously.
Likewise buddy, always had a soft spot for Villa and would like nothing more than three giants - Leeds, Villa and...erm...Norwich - to stride back into the PL in the place of dross like Huddersfield.
Villanois
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villanois »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 pm Welcome Villanois :tup:

Villa have been on a great run since Jack Grealish returned to the fore. Good win without Jack in the team, is he injured again or was he rested ?

I fancy us to get at least a point against Villa at ER. I'm more concerned about Brentford at Griffin Park out of our remaining four matches.

Not counting my chickens until it is mathematically impossible for the Blunts to catch us.

Good luck in the play-offs as long as we avoid them
Jack had a bout of man flu. Started Friday then Saturday morning was still running fevers. It was a big win to do it without Jack.

I see a point, realistically the best we can hope for at ER. I agree,
Brentford are very difficult to beat at home, their away form is what lets them down.

Our form over the last 8 games has been incredible, won all 8. At the time of playing 6 of those teams, the opposition were either in the play off spots (boro) or in the chasing pack. Small heath, sheff w. Bristol c. Derby, and forest.

I am glad to say tho, I believe Leeds will go up as champions. At home, after a very difficult run of games for us, I think you'll be too much, I also believe we'll rest John McGinn against you (2 more bookings and he'll miss the play offs). At home against Norwich tho, I think we'll get back on track and i'm optimistic we'll beat them.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Villanois wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 pm Jack had a bout of man flu. Started Friday then Saturday morning was still running fevers. It was a big win to do it without Jack.

I see a point, realistically the best we can hope for at ER. I agree,
Brentford are very difficult to beat at home, their away form is what lets them down.

Our form over the last 8 games has been incredible, won all 8. At the time of playing 6 of those teams, the opposition were either in the play off spots (boro) or in the chasing pack. Small heath, sheff w. Bristol c. Derby, and forest.

I am glad to say tho, I believe Leeds will go up as champions. At home, after a very difficult run of games for us, I think you'll be too much, I also believe we'll rest John McGinn against you (2 more bookings and he'll miss the play offs). At home against Norwich tho, I think we'll get back on track and i'm optimistic we'll beat them.
Do you think you'll rest other players if Villa have secured a play-off place by the time they play Leeds ?
Villanois
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villanois »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:27 pm Do you think you'll rest other players if Villa have secured a play-off place by the time they play Leeds ?
If a play off is secured then yes most definitely, however the big difference since Dean Smith has taken over is every player seems kenn to play for him. For example we also had 2 central defenders out against Bristol C. and he brought Jedinak in on the left side of central defence. One of the reasons Bruce for fired was playing square pegs in round holes and Jedinak as a central defender was the number 1 example used. Jedinak was outstanding, Lansbury came on as sub (has hardly played since we bought him and he too looked great) Abraham came off and Davies came on and was unlucky not to score.
Most likely players to miss game against Leeds if safe. McGinn, Abraham and Glen Whelan
Villanois
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villanois »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm Likewise buddy, always had a soft spot for Villa and would like nothing more than three giants - Leeds, Villa and...erm...Norwich - to stride back into the PL in the place of dross like Huddersfield.
All local rivalry aside, i'm happy to see Wolves back up there and holding their own.
It's comical how small heath and Albion claim to be the big clubs of the Midlands. Wolves fans have had to bite their tongues for some time now.
Look forward to meeting you next season in the premier league. Norwich meh
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

7 points will do.

We should beat Wigan who are dire away from home.

And Ipswich.

So a point vs Brentford or Villa will be enough i hope.

If we want the title we probably need to win the lot and hope for the best.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I have a big fear that this will be decided on goal difference or goals scored so I'm hoping that Leeds can put 6 past Wigan to get past SU so if Leeds only get 7 pts SU will need to win all 4. Barring a class performance from SW keeper we'd have been in that position now. Imagine going into the Ipswich game knowing Leeds have to win and score more than SU to go up.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

BGwhite wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:22 am I have a big fear that this will be decided on goal difference or goals scored so I'm hoping that Leeds can put 6 past Wigan to get past SU so if Leeds only get 7 pts SU will need to win all 4. Barring a class performance from SW keeper we'd have been in that position now. Imagine going into the Ipswich game knowing Leeds have to win and score more than SU to go up.

Unfortunately if it does come down to goal difference and/or goals scored then it is going to take a freak result (like us scoring six in one of our matches) to give us the slightest chance of finishing ahead of them.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

We are capable of doing that but only against Wigan or Ipswich however SU may be without Billy Blunt for a while so we may be in a position to gradually overturn their advantage over the last 4.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

BGwhite wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 am We are capable of doing that but only against Wigan or Ipswich however SU may be without Billy Blunt for a while so we may be in a position to gradually overturn their advantage over the last 4.

It's a bit tougher than that though. For it to come down to goal difference/goals scored we have to end up on the same points (obviously lol). With them being three points behind us that means that we have to lose a match that they win. So that only leaves three matches to overturn what would be at the very best (from our point of view) a five-goal worse goal difference.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:22 am Imagine going into the Ipswich game knowing Leeds have to win and score more than SU to go up
Doesn't bear thinking about BG
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

We beat Wigan and the blunts at the very least draw I think it's curtains for them, yeah I know Mathematically all you want but they aren't going to Hull and getting a win.

They need to beat Forest to stand a chance.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I have a feeling Forest will get something at Bramall Lane after their dire display v Blackburn
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Just a pity that Forest and Hull are outsiders for the playoffs but I think Forest have caved in and Hull are on the verge of doing the same. From our pov Brentford and Ipswich have nothing to play for so I'm hoping they'll roll over for us. Once again get the first goal and we may get a hatful.

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Basham & Billy Blunt out for at least next 2 games. Egan out for 1 suspension.

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

BGwhite wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:07 pm Basham & Billy Blunt out for at least next 2 games. Egan out for 1 suspension.

These turn of events may well show our promotion, should it be achieved, was written in the stars. Football is filled with enough incredible turns of fate for good or ill to make anyone a believer in destiny.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Although BB has hardly been prolific lately he is Wilders preferred option so will be missed as will Basham who is one of Wilders overlapping first choice centre backs . Along with Egan these 3 out at the same time will be a major blow for them.