Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday

Poll ended at Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
8%
2-2
No votes
3-3 or higher
No votes
1-0
No votes
2-0
42%
2-1
33%
3-1
17%
3-2
No votes
0-1
No votes
0-2
No votes
1-2
No votes
1-3
No votes
2-3
No votes

Total votes: 12

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

Anyone know how long Cooper will be out for?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The afternoon started well with the bars erupting on hearing Millwall's equaliser at Bramall Lane so it was in our hands to create a gap between us & the Owls. We dominated the game, so much better than Wednesday & a fully deserved victory in the bag. How can a team perform so well under the pressure that comes with such a important match under the circumstances ? The 1-0 scoreline flattered the Owls

Positives

Top performance under such pressure
Three points
Our players looking super-fit even after 42 games
So many chances created
Harrison's well taken goal
Manic scenes & a sense of relief when we scored
Ayling all over the park, back to his very best
Jansson, Phillips & Berardi composed at the back
The silky touches & maturity of Roberts
Another assist for Pablo
Clean sheet
WACCOE in full song & swinging scarves all around the ground seem to spur the lads on for the goal that mattered

Negatives

Cooper injury in warm-up
Missed chances again, should have been four or five
We were less fluent once Bamford & Klich were subbed

Ratings

7 Casilla
9 Ayling MOTM
7 Berardi
8 Jansson
7 Alioski
8 Phillips
7 Klich
8 Harrison
8 Hernandez
8 Roberts
7 Bamford
Subs
6 Roofe
6 Forshaw
n/a Dallas
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:28 pm Billy Blunt may well have pulled hamstring today which will finish his season. Let's hope so, every bit helps.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Yes Billy Blunt, Basham & Egan to miss matches

Has the tide turned ?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I couldn't interact with you guys on here today as up in Yorkshire with my folks, but I did keep looking in so thanks again one and all for all the brilliant comments as per usual..... :)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 pm How can a team perform so well under the pressure that comes with such a important match under the circumstances ?
The thing is that the team is not being asked to do anything different to all season and they are a well oiled machine. Even in the losses we have played the same way, created the same amount of chances. The key, much like all season, has been scoring, don't take our chances and we come unstuck. The defeat to Birmingham we hit the post, 30 seconds later 1-0 down and lose. QPR we had chances, plenty of them before we conceded same all season, today a similar game and the longer it went on then the more we have to gamble and that inevitably leaves us stretched, thankfully today we got the goal before it cost us.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Don't think it was a question today of our not taking our chances. Westwood stood on his head all game. Would have been 3-0 or 4-0 without some utterly brilliant saves on his part.

Very encouraged by today's performance. Hopefully Cooper is OK.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:46 pm To be fair, so do the Blunts now. Whether they can hack it now the pressure's real is another question.
They would be in the same position no matter what the kick-off times were. We can temper our game accordingly especially in the late stages of a match. If we are drawing and that is good enough to stay ahead, we can settle for a draw rather than risk a loss by chasing the winning goal. This is particularly the case in the second last match. If we go into that match three points ahead of them and they lose, then a draw guarantees us promotion and we can control our play accordingly.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

So happy with the result today. It's becoming a pattern that we win when I'm out and can't follow the game.

Blunts are serial bottlers - what did it take them to get out of league 1, seven years? Hopefully the tide has turned now, and we can look towards overhauling Norwich. Wguafc!
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

SaraM wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:33 am So happy with the result today. It's becoming a pattern that we win when I'm out and can't follow the game.

Blunts are serial bottlers - what did it take them to get out of league 1, seven years? Hopefully the tide has turned now, and we can look towards overhauling Norwich. Wguafc!
Can you make plans for the next few weekends then please? :)
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Absolutely top drawer performance and a real marker as to where we are as a team now. It's already been said, but in seasons past the squad/management would have come unstuck in a game with so much riding on it.

I like Weasel's 'well oiled machine' analogy. This is a team who do the same things every game and seem to take every match at face value, rather than becoming overawed with the potential ramifications. There are times which it's been during on all cylinders (Derby x2, Norwich, West Brom, Stoke) and times where it's stalled (...Norwich, West Brom, Stoke!), but it's only been a handful of games that you can really say that we played poorly and deserved to lose.

Every player was excellent today. I was getting frustrated with Harrison again - he still takes too many touches and, particularly in the first half, wastes chances by not playing first time into the box. Right place at the right time for the goal though and that's what counts! It was going to be a flick or a scuff today which beat Westwood in that form - Roberts' and Harrison's headers in the first half would be in against a lot of keepers.

I thought Ayling was the standout, personally. Up and down the right constantly, making space for the wingers as well as getting past them. Worked it well out of defence, especially in tight areas and his passing in general has improved since his first few games back. Massive sliding tackle in the box to stop a 1-on-1 in the first half and he's clearly a leader in the squad (captain today with Cooper injured).

Casilla gives me the collie wobbles. Brilliant save vs Bannan (always looks dangerous in spells), but then comes pelting out to leftback and misses a tackle! Berardi did well to cover for the mistake, though did give away an undeserved freekick in the process...

Ref was okay. Think he was hasty with our yellows as they ended with nearly twice the fouls we did but the same number of yellows (We only committed one foul in the 2nd half to their 11). He did let the game run though, especially when they were falling over towards the end of the game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm The thing is that the team is not being asked to do anything different to all season and they are a well oiled machine. Even in the losses we have played the same way, created the same amount of chances. The key, much like all season, has been scoring, don't take our chances and we come unstuck. The defeat to Birmingham we hit the post, 30 seconds later 1-0 down and lose. QPR we had chances, plenty of them before we conceded same all season, today a similar game and the longer it went on then the more we have to gamble and that inevitably leaves us stretched, thankfully today we got the goal before it cost us.
Yes that's our style but we didn't play with so much panache & calmness v QPR & Birmingham where we appeared nervy & tentative, yesterday we were fluent, cool, calm & patient even though the pressure was on to gain the three points. I couldn't believe how fresh we looked when I really thought tired legs were kicking in a few games ago, we are fit as a butchers dog !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:33 am So happy with the result today. It's becoming a pattern that we win when I'm out and can't follow the game

Seems a lucky omen for you Sara

I'd hate the thought of not being at a game, there is no way I could be out when Leeds are playing these days. Unfortunately when I was working in retail I had no choice although I did my best to wangle days off often, being self-employed since the 80's (apart from four years) made life easy for me to support my beloved Leeds, even when I was living in the south
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:17 am
Every player was excellent today. I was getting frustrated with Harrison again - he still takes too many touches and, particularly in the first half, wastes chances by not playing first time into the box. Right place at the right time for the goal though and that's what counts! It was going to be a flick or a scuff today which beat Westwood in that form - Roberts' and Harrison's headers in the first half would be in against a lot of keepers.

I thought Ayling was the standout, personally. Up and down the right constantly, making space for the wingers as well as getting past them. Worked it well out of defence, especially in tight areas and his passing in general has improved since his first few games back. Massive sliding tackle in the box to stop a 1-on-1 in the first half and he's clearly a leader in the squad (captain today with Cooper injured)
I got in trouble this week for voicing my opinion on Harrison, in the end his contribution was crucial scoring the winning goal but yet again I was going through the same frustrations by half-time, my mates around me felt the same too as we discussed our first-half performance. I was gonna rate him a 7 but gave him a 8 for his fine finish. Pontus, Phillips, Hernandez, Roberts all made a bigger contribution overall & what can you say about Ayling, he was truly immense all over the pitch.

Luke Ayling was undoubtedly the man of the match. Really pleased for him as he has received plenty of stick in the past
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

4 games, 360 minutes between where we are and the Premier League!!! That’s the bottom line Wigan, Brentford, Villa and Ipswich stand in our way, we have the advantage and it’s in our hands, we’re not relying on anyone else. The way we played yesterday suggests we’re well and truly up for it. I don’t know how the players felt at the end of the game but my friends and I were literally drained as every shot, save and missed chance left the tension mounting until the goal went in itwas like a huge weight had been lifted. Roll on Friday when we must win another game against Wigan, I’m nervous already!!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 am Yes that's our style but we didn't play with so much panache & calmness v QPR & Birmingham where we appeared nervy & tentative, yesterday we were fluent, cool, calm & patient even though the pressure was on to gain the three points. I couldn't believe how fresh we looked when I really thought tired legs were kicking in a few games ago, we are fit as a butchers dog !
I think the biggest variable (to how we look) is on how the opposition play, we have our style and don't change from it greatly but the difference in the way the opponents play differ greatly. Sheff Wed were more open and trying to attack us, Birmingham parking the bus, solid defensive play marking it harder for us to create chances. QPR desperate so men behind the ball.

For me that has been Bielsa's biggest challenge this year as the countries he has managed in before often simply have teams all trying to play a similar way, take Spain for example where all teams have players comfortable on the ball, slow build up, not flinging crosses in etc. If we did miss out on promotion this year, and even lost 3 or 4 players, I feel we would go up as champions next year as Bielsa would have all summer to come up with solutions as to how to get the better of teams playing different ways. It would be easier for him next season than this season as he would actually have seen how teams play rather than just video analysis.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 pm The afternoon started well with the bars erupting on hearing Millwall's equaliser at Bramall Lane so it was in our hands to create a gap between us & the Owls. We dominated the game, so much better than Wednesday & a fully deserved victory in the bag. How can a team perform so well under the pressure that comes with such a important match under the circumstances ? The 1-0 scoreline flattered the Owls

Positives

Top performance under such pressure
Three points
Our players looking super-fit even after 42 games
So many chances created
Harrison's well taken goal
Manic scenes & a sense of relief when we scored
Ayling all over the park, back to his very best
Jansson, Phillips & Berardi composed at the back
The silky touches & maturity of Roberts
Another assist for Pablo
Clean sheet
WACCOE in full song & swinging scarves all around the ground seem to spur the lads on for the goal that mattered

Negatives

Cooper injury in warm-up
Missed chances again, should have been four or five
We were less fluent once Bamford & Klich were subbed

Ratings

7 Casilla
9 Ayling MOTM
7 Berardi
8 Jansson
7 Alioski
8 Phillips
7 Klich
8 Harrison
8 Hernandez
8 Roberts
7 Bamford
Subs
6 Roofe
6 Forshaw
n/a Dallas
I agree with you regarding Ayling MOTM '64.
He was excellent today.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

John in Louisiana wrote:Don't think it was a question today of our not taking our chances. Westwood stood on his head all game. Would have been 3-0 or 4-0 without some utterly brilliant saves on his part.

Very encouraged by today's performance. Hopefully Cooper is OK.
Got to agree there John. This wasn't a game of missed chances at all. The attempts were on target for once but they came up against a keeper who is top drawer in that division and right on his game.

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

HarryofOz wrote: They would be in the same position no matter what the kick-off times were. We can temper our game accordingly especially in the late stages of a match. If we are drawing and that is good enough to stay ahead, we can settle for a draw rather than risk a loss by chasing the winning goal. This is particularly the case in the second last match. If we go into that match three points ahead of them and they lose, then a draw guarantees us promotion and we can control our play accordingly.
That Villa game could well be THE game to get us up and it's one I'm dreading now as they are on such a phenomenal run atm. SU will be pinning their hopes on a Villa win meaning if SU win their last 4 they go up if we don't reverse the goal difference situation. Christ I hope it doesn't all come down to GD. We need to bury all our chances in the next couple of games to overturn this. What happens if we're all square on pts and gd at the end. We shared both games between us with same scoreline as well ?

gessa

Post by gessa »

BGwhite wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:24 am That Villa game could well be THE game to get us up and it's one I'm dreading now as they are on such a phenomenal run atm. SU will be pinning their hopes on a Villa win meaning if SU win their last 4 they go up if we don't reverse the goal difference situation. Christ I hope it doesn't all come down to GD. We need to bury all our chances in the next couple of games to overturn this. What happens if we're all square on pts and gd at the end. We shared both games between us with same scoreline as well ?

I'm sure I read it will be a 1 off game before the play offs begin. Think it may have been Elland who posted it on 606

Personally I think it should be done alphabetically :)
Last edited by gessa on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

BGwhite wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:24 am That Villa game could well be THE game to get us up and it's one I'm dreading now as they are on such a phenomenal run atm. SU will be pinning their hopes on a Villa win meaning if SU win their last 4 they go up if we don't reverse the goal difference situation. Christ I hope it doesn't all come down to GD. We need to bury all our chances in the next couple of games to overturn this. What happens if we're all square on pts and gd at the end. We shared both games between us with same scoreline as well ?

I assume you mean having scored the same number of goals as well as having the same goal difference.

I wonder what the tie-breaker is. Is it disciplinary record (fair play kind of thing)?

As you say that Villa game could be crucial, assuming we both maintain our current run of form of course.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.